1U DIY tiles?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!
Dogue
Common Wiggler

Post by Dogue »

Interesting. I'd have thought that the 6hp corresponded to Doepfer's standard, in which a 6hp module is 30mm:

http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/a100m_e.htm
EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR »

Dogue wrote:Interesting. I'd have thought that the 6hp corresponded to Doepfer's standard, in which a 6hp module is 30mm:

http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/a100m_e.htm
calculated module width [mm]
(= multiples of 5.08 mm)
6HP = 30.48 = 1.2in

actual module width [mm] (euro modules not tiles)
6HP = 30.00 = 1.1811

pulp logic set the standard of 1.2in actual width for tiles. so I guess he made a mistake? or he knew the laser cutter would remove 0.005in and thought it was fine? I also noticed that the 1/8in metal plate at each end of a tile row will increase your total rail width beyond 84HP. this could actually make everything work fine in a 84HP case but we need to make better standard so that if someone wants a really really big tile case, it does not have problems. the question now would be --> how many tiles would consume the 1/4 total extra space at the end of the rails due to tolerances putting a tile module slightly over 1.2in?

sinemod
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sinemod »

i am looking for a simple inverter schematics for eurorack .
anyone !!!
EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR »

<urbanscallywag> i have been selling tiles made to that spec for a year
<urbanscallywag> they fit next to each other
<urbanscallywag> i don't know what the panel size actually is once it's cut
<urbanscallywag> measure one of your tile blanks
<urbanscallywag> that is the spec
and so it is written that we have two official standards. one of them is the pulp logic 1.2in spec. the other is the "measure my panel and figure it out spec". not a problem either way unless your case is 1 row of 1000hp. the end caps provide 1HP of free space for any PCB panels that are > 1.2in by accident.
EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR »

sinemod wrote:i am looking for a simple inverter schematics for eurorack .
anyone !!!

you can remove the 50K resistors if you do not care about it being perfect. if you do that, connect pin 5 and pin 3 to ground. you can also use two 100K resistors in place of one 50K resistor if your 100k are in parallel.
sinemod
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sinemod »

Nice I did a quad inverter based on the schematics that you shared.
All behind a 4 hp doepfer panel .
Now how to do something in the same way but that can give gain to a saturation point. A la gozinta ? 4x or 10x (variable)
It can invert if it make the circuit simpler but would prefer not invert
EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR »

sinemod wrote:Nice I did a quad inverter based on the schematics that you shared.
All behind a 4 hp doepfer panel .
Now how to do something in the same way but that can give gain to a saturation point. A la gozinta ? 4x or 10x (variable)
It can invert if it make the circuit simpler but would prefer not invert
the schematic is the same for 10x gain with opamp saturation. just put the second inverter after the first inverter. change R29 to a 1M pot. you can remove R9 and connect pin 1 directly to R2. your output will be a lot louder than normal modular levels. for a +/-12v supply your output will be about 20V peak to peak. you can install an attenuator on the panel, a trimmer attenuator or you can put a 1:1 resistor divider to set the output at 10Vpp. 50K + 50K to ground should work great.
FSK1138
Common Wiggler

Post by FSK1138 »

i think the best best is to use a standard 1u 19 inch blank panel cover
and mount your diy mods on it
illustrator , sound designer
medbot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by medbot »

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
sinemod wrote:i am looking for a simple inverter schematics for eurorack .
anyone !!!
Sorry for the noob question, but is this inverter passive? I don't see any power markings but also don't know if it's just assumed that they go somewhere. :hmm:
Dogue
Common Wiggler

Post by Dogue »

No, it's active; the supply connections are assumed. The following makes them explicit and is typical for modulars:

medbot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by medbot »

Thanks for the confirmation and the drawing!
EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR »

my panel PCB is 1.7in tall according to the gerber file that I sent to OSH park. it does not fit. I was told that it is very close to being correct. maybe a little sandpaper will get me the rest of the way. if you make a pcb panel, shrink it slightly. not sure what the correct number is. I will find out but it might take me a few months before I have more prototypes.
bennelong.bicyclist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bennelong.bicyclist »

Just a thought, but you could build two MI Links on a single PCB, and turn it through 90 degrees and mount it behind a (rather wide) 1U panel. Each Links PCB is just over 19mm (4HP) wide, thus two side-by-side on the one PCB would be about 40mm, which easily fits within the height of a 1U tile strip (I think). The Links design is open-source, but to do a DIY build of one, you do need to be able to solder tiny 0603 SMD components, either by hand, or hot air gun, or a reflow oven. I do mine by hand, and although it is fiddly, it isn't too hard using a 3x head magnifier and checking each solder joint with a 10x stereo microscope. Just don't drink too much coffee (hand tremor). The Links design uses SOIC-14 and SOIC-8 SMD chips, from memory, which aren't too hard to hand solder - you can solder each leg of the chip with a needle tip iron, if you don't want to use drag-solder or reflow methods. Note that it is the very wise and sensible policy of Mutable Instruments to offer absolutely no support for DIY builds of the MI Eurorack designs - you are on your own, and fair enough too! But for experienced constructors, DIY is quite feasible.
EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR »

what is an MI link?
bennelong.bicyclist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bennelong.bicyclist »

EATyourGUITAR wrote:what is an MI link?
http://mutable-instruments.net/modules/links
craque
xenochronous wiggler

Post by craque »

Clarification on the not-fitting...

When I got it from EYG, I had tested the tile on my "deeper" erthenvar rails. There are notches on the PCB which cause the lip of the panel - and thereby the screw holes - to not completely reach the rail nuts.

Today I got an erthenvar tile carrier, which has rails 1/3rd the depth, so the notch in the pcb clears them fine underneath and the screw holes line up.

It was never a problem with the panel itself, just wanted to make that known. :)

So audio tests are coming forthwith!

:cloud:
craque
xenochronous wiggler

Post by craque »

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR »

a square LFO and an adjustable DC voltage. everything is pretty solid hanging from the pots.

momentary buttons. gate out. I am also making some gate to trigger tiles to go with it.

southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by southphillysynths »

Love seeing people do this! I was just thinking of doing few diy tiles!

going to do a quad attenuator, if I used stacked pots I could do an octenuator!!

Also want to do a passive ring mod and passive lpgs!!
nurbivore
Common Wiggler

Post by nurbivore »

I had a horstronic buffered multiple pcb that I was hoping I could fold over on itself (it's perforated) and fit into one 1U panel. Unfortunately it ended up being just very slightly too tall, so I've got what used to be one narrow 3U panel as two separate, wide 1U panels. Better luck next time...
le_palace
Common Wiggler

Post by le_palace »

regretting building my DIY case without a 1U row :doh:
nurbivore
Common Wiggler

Post by nurbivore »

le_palace wrote:regretting building my DIY case without a 1U row :doh:
It was a no-brainer for me since I was mounting a rack inside of a suitcase and it would have just been wasted space otherwise. But if I was building a new case from scratch, I think I'd probably skip the 1U row. Nobody's really selling any 1U modules that don't have 3U equivalents and with this Intellijel mess, the field is just getting more confused. Plus the cramped quarters don't do DIYers any favors, especially if you're not doing SMT.
thx2112
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thx2112 »

If you want to squeeze some tiles into an existing rack, I just made a 10hp tile carrier for my own system.

I put the extras on my site here: http://syinsi.com/shop/

I also have some tile and double-tile blanks left.

:sb:
nurbivore
Common Wiggler

Post by nurbivore »

Anyone have a link to the module half of the tile power connectors (mouser or otherwise)?
Joonatin
Common Wiggler

Post by Joonatin »

Is there some place selling 1U blank tiles at the moment? Aluminium or pcb material, preferably with screw holes drilled. Or should I just draw some and order quadzillion of them as pcbs from China?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”