PCBs now included with Turing Machine MK2 Grayscale panels

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PCBs now included with Turing Machine MK2 Grayscale panels

Post by sempervirent » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:38 pm

Panels for the Turing Machine v2 and all expanders!

PCBs are now included at no cost with all TM MK2 panel orders.
http://grayscale.info/panels/
Last edited by sempervirent on Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 47 times in total.

sinemod
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sinemod » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:29 pm

Youpi !!!!
But the problem i have with your panel is that you are going to fast i c'ant put an order for 10 panel the same month !!!

the83
Wiggling with Experience

Post by the83 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:46 pm

YES.
https://soundcloud.com/theronhumiston

WTB:
Alesis Bitrman and Philtre

tronabetes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tronabetes » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:01 am

beautiful.

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:26 am

The only reason I've avoided the RLS is the plastic panel... and I haven't found time to work on my own version. Definitely interested in one of these.

sinemod
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sinemod » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:51 am

@Monobass /Thonk. If i were you, it woud be à good time to restock those Turning Kit. I had found my self in the same position as NegativeSpace as i Like to said i am allergic to acrilic panel.

bleeps
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bleeps » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:38 am

If anyone wants to get rid of an old acrylic panel, let me know. I need two of them. FWIW, I'd be into this aluminum one if the outputs were boxed instead of the inputs.

EMwhite
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EMwhite » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:06 pm

This is great! I know the pic is just a mock up; can you confirm the distance between the switch holes and the slot?

Reason I ask is that I bought a bunch of those "high quality 3.5mm jacks" and they are quite a bit larger than the normal diameter jacks so I have to drill; Hoping the tolerance of where the slot sits will leave enough meat between the switch hole and the slot (the nuts, if you've seen them are slotted round type so low-profile; I'm mainly concerned with the hole itself and drilling).

Thanks.

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:59 am

Oops, even though I started this thread I didn't get subscribed automatically. That always happens when I start new threads, kind of weird. Oh well. Thanks for the compliments everyone.
sinemod wrote:But the problem i have with your panel is that you are going to fast i c'ant put an order for 10 panel the same month !!!
Ha, I laughed out loud at this. I am going fast I guess, but it's really fun to work on these. I have some new ones coming later today, then I'm going to take a break for a while. Also, I am going to order a certain amount of extras for each panel, so if you don't get one with the first preorder there will be a few extras later on... not a lot though.
EMwhite wrote:This is great! I know the pic is just a mock up; can you confirm the distance between the switch holes and the slot?
It's about 0.09" – a little under 3/32" (which would be 0.09375"). Let me know the hole diameter you're working with and I will check it out. Also, the image is based on the mechanical drawings from Music Thing so the dimensions are accurate.

Thanks again everyone. I need about 7 more preorders to make this one happen.

hexinverter
the nettles make me think happy times

Post by hexinverter » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:38 pm

bleeps wrote:If anyone wants to get rid of an old acrylic panel, let me know. I need two of them. FWIW, I'd be into this aluminum one if the outputs were boxed instead of the inputs.
I've got an extra one -- not the spirograph. It's yours if you like :) PM'ed

EMwhite
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EMwhite » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:07 pm

sempervirent wrote:Oops, even though I started this thread I didn't get subscribed automatically. That always happens when I start new threads, kind of weird. Oh well. Thanks for the compliments everyone.
EMwhite wrote:This is great! I know the pic is just a mock up; can you confirm the distance between the switch holes and the slot?
It's about 0.09" – a little under 3/32" (which would be 0.09375"). Let me know the hole diameter you're working with and I will check it out. Also, the image is based on the mechanical drawings from Music Thing so the dimensions are accurate.
We may be talking about two different things. See the pic below. The jack hole on the left (bottom of pic) was drilled out to accommodate the so-called 'high quality 3.5mm' jack that I bought a buttload of. The hole on the right is the original hole which accommodates standard diameter jacks (if there is such a thing).

As you can see, using my 4 yr. old daughter's ruler, the standard sized hole is just shy of 1/4" and the new hole is approximately 5/16".

My only concern is that if I drill out the two jack holes adjacent to the LED slot that it there will be no tolerance left to accommodate the rounded nut for the jack. Any chance that somebody confirm that I'll be ok? If so, I'll be the 7th needed and we'll need 6 more people to sign up for pre-order.

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:35 pm

EMwhite wrote:We may be talking about two different things.
I think we're on the same page. Your concern is that the two holes for the Length and Write switches, if enlarged, will be so close to the LED slot that the nut will overlap with the opening.

The hole diameter specified in the Turing Machine panel documentation is about 0.275" and the hole you've drilled is about 0.3125" (5/16"). Looking at my drawing, enlarging the hole to 0.3125" leaves some space but it will be tight. What is the diameter of the nut you're going to use?

EMwhite
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EMwhite » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:35 pm

The nuts are pretty thin. I didn't measure them but have a look below:

rosch
roadkill

Post by rosch » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:41 pm

count me in, i'll take one
edit: ordered
Last edited by rosch on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:41 pm

Thanks. Where did you get them? You might be able to find a spec sheet. Or maybe use a pair of calipers if you have a pair. As a rough estimate, I think the nuts will be at the edge of the LED slot but won't overlap. I can make an accurate check if I know the diameter of the nut though.

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:43 pm

rosch wrote:count me in, i'll take one
Thanks! You can preorder through the site:
http://grayscale.info/panels/turing-mac ... sequencer/

I am offering all these panels on a preorder basis, with a threshold of 20, but the Turing Machine is pretty close.

EMwhite
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EMwhite » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:46 pm

Ignore my last post. I don't know what the hell I was thinking. Those are switches and not jacks! I used the stock switches that came on the BOM. Will do the pre-order when I get home from work tonight. Thanks for the feedback.

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:54 pm

Ha, no problem! Glad it will work out.

Thanks for the order rosch!

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:25 pm

EMwhite wrote:Those are switches and not jacks! I used the stock switches that came on the BOM.
Where the jacks really go, you'd still be a lot better off using the Erthenvar / Flight of Harmony style jacks that the BOM calls for instead of your Tiptop style jacks. The PCB mounts to the panel using the nuts on the jacks and switches, so you'd be making your life needlessly difficult by using anything other than the suggested hardware. I have both kinds of jacks here- the Tiptop ones are about a third deeper and have a different pinout footprint than Erthenvar. Hole diameter would be the least of your worries..

EMwhite
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EMwhite » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:04 pm

Yes, when I built it (about 2 mos ago), I found that out and had to jockey the parts so that the LED array was higher (closer to panel) etc. It came out nice enough; I'm impatient... once I get most of what I need, I dive into a project; usually works out for me but not always...

So at this point, just looking to put behind a nice aluminum panel to match the rest of my limited Euro gear. (see pic) ... and thanks.

meatcliff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by meatcliff » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:12 pm

oh hell yeah

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:25 am

Bump. This one has reached 20 preorders so it will definitely be ordered. If you'd like to get one, get your order in by April 15.

sinemod
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sinemod » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:01 pm

i will take 2

EMwhite
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Aluminum panel for Turing Machine Random Looping Sequenc

Post by EMwhite » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:27 pm

sempervirent wrote:I've started offering alternate panels for several Euro-format modules, and had a few requests for the Turing Machine panel in aluminum. It's available for preorder now:

http://grayscale.info/panels/turing-mac ... sequencer/

How are these moving along? I see the pre-order ends next week. When do you expect they will ship?

Thanks.
Beware of programmers with screwdrivers...

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:08 pm

31 Turing Machine panels have been ordered thus far... I will be placing the order around April 22 and they will get shipped to me about 3 weeks afterward. So it will be about a month from now before I start sending them out.

FYI here's a photo of a plexi test panel installed on the module, fits just fine (no big surprise since I used the official templates).

Return to “Music Tech DIY”