Monorocket Case alternative?

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

User avatar
oliver69
Common Wiggler
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:37 pm
Location: UK

Monorocket Case alternative?

Post by oliver69 »

Hello Wigglers,

Im on the look for a new euro case that I can carry about since I do tour/gig a bit. Something like the M6/MX series style and size.

I'd love to get a monorocket but theres nowhere in the UK that stocks them and the only place near the UK is schneiders and even for them its a 2-3 month wait for the case or even longer as I was told by them. :hmm:

So, I was wondering if there is anything similar on the market that? :)

Thanks in advance!
User avatar
sauce
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:08 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Post by sauce »

The Modular World cases are way lower quality than the monorocket cases, but also way cheaper, so kind of ok for the price, especially if you are just starting in eurorack
User avatar
Matos
Modular masturbator
Posts: 3783
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:03 am

Post by Matos »

Sadly modular world no longer exists. Great cases though. Perhaps getting a custom ata style case and installing rails and power yourself? If not maybe Ross could design one for you?
http://www.lamonddesign.co.uk/modular-cases/
User avatar
narwhal
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 793
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Monorocket Case alternative?

Post by narwhal »

oliver69 wrote:
Im on the look for a new euro case that I can carry about since I do tour/gig a bit. Something like the M6/MX series style and size.

pricey but you might consider a spacecase baby. made in the uk.

here
User avatar
warnton
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 9:49 am
Location: Austria

Re: Monorocket Case alternative?

Post by warnton »

narwhal wrote:
oliver69 wrote:
Im on the look for a new euro case that I can carry about since I do tour/gig a bit. Something like the M6/MX series style and size.

pricey but you might consider a spacecase baby. made in the uk.

here
yes spacecase.
this is mine:Image
User avatar
narwhal
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 793
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:40 pm

Post by narwhal »

is that the full sized A-case?
Diao
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:56 am
Location: Kansas City, Kansas

Post by Diao »

Big City Music, although located in the USA, has a Monorocket Mission 9b that is 220V in stock. Its not exactly the model you're after, but its 3 rows of 90hp, and it has 2 PSUs in it for a total of 2.4 amps which should be more than ample for even the most power hungry modules you can fit into 270hp. Plus, its available now, so you have zero wait time which is damn near unheard of when buying a Monorocket case, Steve is always swamped with orders so you're lucky if you can just buy a case off the shelf.

Anyway, if you're interested, send Roger an email inquiring about it. He is super nice and has absolutely excellent customer service. Also, I'm sure he has no problems shipping overseas, especially for a case that is made for your side of the globe and not the side in which his store resides.

Here is a link to the case:

http://bigcitymusic.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=629

:tu:
WTB: Mogami Eurorack Patch Cables! Please! I will gladly pay you way more than you paid for them! Help a guy out!
User avatar
mudlogger
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1367
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:47 pm
Location: UK + Thailand
Contact:

Post by mudlogger »

As your in the UK - i'd reconsider spacecase.

They are now making space case skiffs - you buy a suitcase of your choice and they'll build a skiff to drop in it. Prices seem reasonable too.
I believe they'll recommend a suitable case also.

http://www.spacecase.ltd.uk/products/space-case-skiffs/
User avatar
strettara
which way is up?
Posts: 8441
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:16 am
Location: das Land der eisernen Wurst

Post by strettara »

I've suggested this before (always to a total lack of interest :cry:), but you could get two Doepfer LC6's, hinge them together, move the rails in a bit, then add clasps and corner guards, tolex or whatever and you've pretty much got yourself an M6X. You'd have to deal with the power socket - either move the lower one to the side of the case or link them together to get a single power in. If I had to move my system around a lot, this is what I'd do.
"Three generations of imbeciles is enough." - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

User avatar
oliver69
Common Wiggler
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:37 pm
Location: UK

Post by oliver69 »

Thanks for all the great replies people! will defiantly look into them.
strettara wrote:I've suggested this before (always to a total lack of interest :cry:), but you could get two Doepfer LC6's, hinge them together, move the rails in a bit, then add clasps and corner guards, tolex or whatever and you've pretty much got yourself an M6X. You'd have to deal with the power socket - either move the lower one to the side of the case or link them together to get a single power in. If I had to move my system around a lot, this is what I'd do.
I was looking at the deeper cases and was wondering if its possible to add rolling rails instead of the fixed holes one? whats the power supply like on the deeper cases as well? Good quality?
Diao wrote:Big City Music, although located in the USA, has a Monorocket Mission 9b that is 220V in stock. Its not exactly the model you're after, but its 3 rows of 90hp, and it has 2 PSUs in it for a total of 2.4 amps which should be more than ample for even the most power hungry modules you can fit into 270hp. Plus, its available now, so you have zero wait time which is damn near unheard of when buying a Monorocket case, Steve is always swamped with orders so you're lucky if you can just buy a case off the shelf.

Anyway, if you're interested, send Roger an email inquiring about it. He is super nice and has absolutely excellent customer service. Also, I'm sure he has no problems shipping overseas, especially for a case that is made for your side of the globe and not the side in which his store resides.

Here is a link to the case:

http://bigcitymusic.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=629

:tu:
I'd love to buy over sea's but its the import tax and all that crap thats gonna hit me hard so I try to stay way from importing, but thanks for the suggestion though! :)
User avatar
oliver69
Common Wiggler
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:37 pm
Location: UK

Post by oliver69 »

mudlogger wrote:As your in the UK - i'd reconsider spacecase.

They are now making space case skiffs - you buy a suitcase of your choice and they'll build a skiff to drop in it. Prices seem reasonable too.
I believe they'll recommend a suitable case also.

http://www.spacecase.ltd.uk/products/space-case-skiffs/
Do the skiffs come with the powersupply included/fitted? These look like the right people to talk to about cases! They all look great!
User avatar
strettara
which way is up?
Posts: 8441
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:16 am
Location: das Land der eisernen Wurst

Post by strettara »

If you mean rails with sliding nuts, my advice is to steer clear. I realise they're good if you want to use Analogue Systems modules, but apart from that they're a huge pain the ass. But sure, you can install them if you want.
"Three generations of imbeciles is enough." - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

User avatar
ping panic
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 475
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:15 pm
Location: .spain

Post by ping panic »

Even I have a M1064 I found it too heavy for my needs so...
I made a monorocketed diy case by myself. I had never worked with wood or tolex. It was "easy" but frustrating, around 15 hours of work along january.

Common plywood 10mm, erthenvar rails, tolex from tube town and hardware from swann flight.
It weights around 2 kg empty

Image
I don't have any gear
User avatar
zdarma
reverse the polarity
Posts: 971
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:40 pm
Location: czech republic

Post by zdarma »

Wow! Great job on that case!
User avatar
strettara
which way is up?
Posts: 8441
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:16 am
Location: das Land der eisernen Wurst

Post by strettara »

ping panic wrote:Even I have a M1064 I found it too heavy for my needs so...
I made a monorocketed diy case by myself. I had never worked with wood or tolex. It was "easy" but frustrating, around 15 hours of work along january.

Common plywood 10mm, erthenvar rails, tolex from tube town and hardware from swann flight.
It weights around 2 kg empty

Image
Spectacular - looks like a good summer project for me this year.
"Three generations of imbeciles is enough." - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

User avatar
MrManson
Common Wiggler
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 11:37 am
Location: Paros, Greece

Post by MrManson »

narwhal wrote:is that the full sized A-case?
Nope - it's two custom 148HP "skiffs" with a travelling frame!

Happy to talk to people about custom portable stuff, and I can also vouch for Ross' work - he makes very beautiful things :yay:

Quick off topic comment for ppl with my skiffs - I'm always looking out for "light weight and portable", and recently bumped into these on the Thomann site: http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_effect_pedal_bag.htm They're perfect for my (or other people's I guess) 104HP skiffs, and they also do a keyboard case which fits the 148HP "slab'o'synth" cases mentioned above (single one's, not two at a time!): http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_key_bag_492.htm

I got one for mine, and it's great to have pockets for patch cords, psu's, sandwiches and beer... :guinness:
Space Case Ltd
"Moo. We are a cow. Take us to China."
http://www.soundcloud.com/mrmanson
User avatar
mudlogger
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1367
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:47 pm
Location: UK + Thailand
Contact:

Post by mudlogger »

oliver69 wrote:
mudlogger wrote:As your in the UK - i'd reconsider spacecase.

They are now making space case skiffs - you buy a suitcase of your choice and they'll build a skiff to drop in it. Prices seem reasonable too.
I believe they'll recommend a suitable case also.

http://www.spacecase.ltd.uk/products/space-case-skiffs/
Do the skiffs come with the powersupply included/fitted? These look like the right people to talk to about cases! They all look great!
Yes - you choose
User avatar
warnton
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 9:49 am
Location: Austria

Post by warnton »

narwhal wrote:is that the full sized A-case?
no, its a special case, tailormade:-)
User avatar
warnton
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 9:49 am
Location: Austria

Post by warnton »

warnton wrote:
narwhal wrote:is that the full sized A-case?
no, its a special case, tailormade:-)
..and here you can see it opened:
viewtopic.php?p=1002402&highlight=#1002402
User avatar
misa
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 922
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:18 pm
Location: Cologne, Germany
Contact:

Post by misa »

warnton wrote:
warnton wrote:
narwhal wrote:is that the full sized A-case?
no, its a special case, tailormade:-)
..and here you can see it opened:
viewtopic.php?p=1002402&highlight=#1002402
That looks like a nice case!

Can you fold it patched?

kainiggemann.bandcamp.com
anterasa.bandcamp.com
gratofficial.bandcamp.com
thedorf.net
User avatar
narwhal
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 793
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:40 pm

Post by narwhal »

warnton wrote:
..and here you can see it opened:
viewtopic.php?p=1002402&highlight=#1002402
woah. that's certainly a monster=]

and yes, that VCO-2RM does look great in white. I much prefer the new cwejman colour scheme over the military green.
paninicool
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:30 am
Location: Canada

Post by paninicool »

ping panic wrote:Even I have a M1064 I found it too heavy for my needs so...
I made a monorocketed diy case by myself. I had never worked with wood or tolex. It was "easy" but frustrating, around 15 hours of work along january.

Common plywood 10mm, erthenvar rails, tolex from tube town and hardware from swann flight.
It weights around 2 kg empty

Image

Wow the case looks amazing! congratz!
paninicool
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:30 am
Location: Canada

Post by paninicool »

I have issues finding flight case part and 84 hp rails :( in Canada. the only brand I know is Tip Top. do you guys know other brands?
User avatar
DedMousie
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 251
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:27 pm

Post by DedMousie »

ping panic wrote:I made a monorocketed diy case by myself ...
Beautiful work! How hard was the Tolex? May we please see a shot of the INSIDE?

I've thought about using Duratex myself. Anybody else here got thoughts on that?
Les Mizzell
----------------------------------------------
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/les-mizzell/
User avatar
oliver69
Common Wiggler
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:37 pm
Location: UK

Post by oliver69 »

ping panic wrote:Even I have a M1064 I found it too heavy for my needs so...
I made a monorocketed diy case by myself. I had never worked with wood or tolex. It was "easy" but frustrating, around 15 hours of work along january.

Common plywood 10mm, erthenvar rails, tolex from tube town and hardware from swann flight.
It weights around 2 kg empty

Image
Wow that looks amazing! great stuff!
Post Reply

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”