Blue TZ VCO source confirmed

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
frijitz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Blue TZ VCO source confirmed

Post by frijitz »

Here is an illustration of the Blue Lantern Blue VCO, with inked-in sections indicating the correspondence of this circuit to the Teezer Thru-Zero VCO. For the VCO core and sync sections, the two circuits are virtually identical. The only notable difference is the trivial substitution of an LM13700 OTA, along with substitution of low-performance op amps. Otherwise, circuit topology and component values are exactly identical, even down to and including the number and values of all bypass capacitors.

As discussed before, the +/- 5V supplies were taken from Rene's TZ VCO. They consist of three-terminal power supply regulators, rather than the precision reference components of the Teezer. Otherwise, the multiple power supply voltages are derived exactly as in the Teezer. The waveshapers -- external to the core -- are a different design.

Hope this helps clarify matters regarding the Blue Lantern "design". I hate to be still beating on this, but we are still hearing negative comments from the skeptics.

Ian
Attachments
TZ01.jpg
TZ01.jpg (76.5 KiB) Viewed 4359 times
toppobrillo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by toppobrillo »

well, I for one never had even the slightest of doubts. he's a known copycat with little to no engineering skills [well, i suppose reverse engineering is kind of a skill]. sorry about all the shit that's come out of this, I would be pissed too! :bang:
rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde »

toppobrillo wrote:well, I for one never had even the slightest of doubts. he's a known copycat with little to no engineering skills [well, i suppose reverse engineering is kind of a skill]. sorry about all the shit that's come out of this, I would be pissed too! :bang:
+1, i never needed any proof either.
works for Darkplace Manufacturing
mckenic

Post by mckenic »

Im very sorry to read this Ian - :waah:

It sucks hard that such a thing should happen to you and as someone just dipping my toe in SDIY, I hope that this experience wont sour you mate. You have my support - BL does not.
thermionicjunky
Thyratron Genius

Post by thermionicjunky »

Yeah, I followed the development of this project. The design was not trivial and the work that went into it should be respected. I'm anxious to get mine finished.
madcap
Cactophile

Post by madcap »

:woah:

I guess congratulations aren't quite in order.... but I am glad that you got to see for sure and let us all know the conclusion.
John Noble
Pining for the fjords

Post by John Noble »

Thank $DEITY we have some analysis! I wrote, way back when:
John Noble wrote:BL denies using Mr. Fritz's design, and it's a matter of days before someone will be able to look at a real unit and confirm or refute that claim. If it is his (edit: BL's) design, what then? Given some of the fightin' words used around here, someone had better order a Costco-sized box of knee pads for the ensuing apologies. If not, then BL is a liar and doesn't deserve further discussion.
It turned out to be a matter of months rather than days, but it looks like we're edging closer to the latter.

A more legible image would probably help matters.
Go make some music.
http://prettyhowtown.net
HeWhoWantsJeans
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by HeWhoWantsJeans »

John Noble wrote: A more legible image would probably help matters.
I'd love to a see a more legible image and I'd also like to see this raised for comment from Blue Lantern - even if on their Facebook page (since 'Lantern is banned from Muffs).

Not like he would comment - or probably even give thanks or attribution.
I've archived over 400 answering machines, and the best of which is constantly updated on Tumblr. Public domain! Enjoy! Donate, too!
http://answerphone.tumblr.com/
vav
Beer Master

Post by vav »

What a dick.
Vactrols are the electronic equivalent of being drunk. -decaying.sine
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
eat the kids first

Post by A Dingleberry Monstrosity »

what a fuck ass

I will never own a single product from this joke of a human being (almost bought one of his filters before finding all this out) and hopefully everyone here has purged their system of his stolen modules.
We make guitar pedals: whimsymachines.com :party:
HeWhoWantsJeans
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by HeWhoWantsJeans »

A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:what a fuck ass

I will never own a single product from this joke of a human being (almost bought one of his filters before finding all this out) and hopefully everyone here has purged their system of his stolen modules.
I'm half-tempted to go one further and say that I won't buy from any storefront that carries the TZVCO. Granted - do any?
I've archived over 400 answering machines, and the best of which is constantly updated on Tumblr. Public domain! Enjoy! Donate, too!
http://answerphone.tumblr.com/
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
eat the kids first

Post by A Dingleberry Monstrosity »

it seriously rubs me the wrong way that AH is carrying his modules. So much so that I'm definitely looking to stores like bigcitymusic more than I did in the past.

I love AH, but I really don't like that they carry blue lantern crap. Hopefully Shawn isn't aware of blue lanterns nonexistent ethics just yet and hasnt knowingly been rewarding thievery. When he finds out he'll hopefully stop carrying these stolen designs. :despair:

if it turns out he does know, I'll definitely be shopping there less and less and possibly stop all together. I have to put my money where my mouth is.

my $0.02
We make guitar pedals: whimsymachines.com :party:
Kent
Curator/Janitor/Zookeeper

Post by Kent »

Let him know then, O' Eater of Children. :tu:
ophidian
Common Wiggler

Post by ophidian »

Fucking low.
headband
Common Wiggler

Post by headband »

It's very disappointing to see such a blatant lack of design ethics in the modular realm where most of the designers are amazing guys like Ian Fritz trying to keep the format as open as possible.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch »

I don't think anyone ever had any serious doubts, but it's nice to finally see the evidence there in black and white (or pink or whatever...).

Now hopefully you can put this whole ugly episode behind you and get back to what you do best: designing unique and creative modules!
We've moved fast. We need love. A part we offer is our only freedom.
chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad »

Thanks for the effort clearing that up! That really sucks it actually came down to it being ripped off. Sorry to hear that.
HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:
John Noble wrote: A more legible image would probably help matters.
I'd love to a see a more legible image and I'd also like to see this raised for comment from Blue Lantern - even if on their Facebook page (since 'Lantern is banned from Muffs).

Not like he would comment - or probably even give thanks or attribution.
Agreed. Clear image would be nice to look at. I'd also like to hear his response...
Johnisfaster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Johnisfaster »

A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:it seriously rubs me the wrong way that AH is carrying his modules. So much so that I'm definitely looking to stores like bigcitymusic more than I did in the past.

I love AH, but I really don't like that they carry blue lantern crap. Hopefully Shawn isn't aware of blue lanterns nonexistent ethics just yet and hasnt knowingly been rewarding thievery. When he finds out he'll hopefully stop carrying these stolen designs. :despair:

if it turns out he does know, I'll definitely be shopping there less and less and possibly stop all together. I have to put my money where my mouth is.

my $0.02
As far as I know this VCO isnt carried by AH because of the theft accusation. Are the other designs stolen? I suppose if you steal one design you could be banned from a store altogether but I can see that its their discretion to carry non stolen designs from whomever they choose.
JensenJohn.bandcamp.com
Joe.
Wired for sound

Post by Joe. »

Why did this need to be "cleared up"? he literally said he took the design when he offered the DIY PCBs.
If the original post that had that statement has been edited, then a mod can simply re-instate the original post.
thetwlo
Banned

Post by thetwlo »

HeWhoWantsJeans wrote: I won't buy from any storefront that carries the TZVCO. Granted - do any?
I was thinking the same, but we should give them the opportunity to stop support him.
Perhaps a petition that we can submit to the retailers that still carry "Blue Lantern Clones"(as it reads on AH) to cease?

I hope they will without it but, it would also draw more publicity to this.
ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius »

does this mean it's OK for schippman to put goop on his circuit? :mrgreen: :hide:
rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde »

I would like to see Shawn stop carrying him as well. BL could of handled this entire situation differently and he chose not too. He was pretty arrogant in his replies in the beginning of this whole debacle. I also always thought it was weird he was selling Ray Wilsons designs as well. Ray is another amazing guy who has contributed a ton to the DIY community.
works for Darkplace Manufacturing
numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Q!

Post by numan7 »

ignatius wrote:does this mean it's OK for schippman to put goop on his circuit? :mrgreen: :hide:
:lol:
[b]richard[/b] once wrote:Its pronounced "shiiiiiitmman" as in "shit, man that's expensive" but in a Swedish accent.
:confused: but that, as i recall, was supposed to be about cwejman modules (which never really made much sense to me, since "swage" doesn't sound anything at all like "shiiiiiit")... :hmm: methinks perhaps he ought to have incubated that particular joke for another six months or so! :)

(which is not to say that the cs-8 doesn't look very, very interesting, though! :twisted: )

cheers
"the ordinary will ignore whatever they cannot explain as if nothing ever happened. and everything remains the same again..."
numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 »

rico loverde wrote:I would like to see Shawn stop carrying him as well. BL could of handled this entire situation differently and he chose not too. He was pretty arrogant in his replies in the beginning of this whole debacle. I also always thought it was weird he was selling Ray Wilsons designs as well. Ray is another amazing guy who has contributed a ton to the DIY community.
:agree:

anyways, my 5U teezer is in the mail... can't wait to start patching! :hyper:

cheers
"the ordinary will ignore whatever they cannot explain as if nothing ever happened. and everything remains the same again..."
ollepetersson
Common Wiggler

Post by ollepetersson »

What is the difference between this and other clones on this forum i.e the Buchla clones? I'm NOT defending! Just curious. Are they not component by component copys?

/Olle

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”