RichyHo's Multi-Format Rack Planner (Work in progress)

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

RichyHo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by RichyHo » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:27 pm

Cheers guys.

Now, back on with the development...

RichyHo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by RichyHo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:17 am

Yesterday I started work on the options panel:

The options are currently global (ie they affect every rack), but I intend to make each rack's settings individually customizable. The settings below turn off the rack borders, shadows and feet while also allowing overlap and locking the layout:

This allows for really close alignment of the racks as shown below:

RichyHo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by RichyHo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:07 am

Thanks to a great idea from my Dad you now get a visual preview of each module if you hover your mouse over the module's 'module tree' button for more than half a second. The preview is scaled nicely to fill the free area of screen to the right of the module tree.

I've also added keyboard shortcuts to the main options (feet [F], shadows , rounded corners [R], rack info , lock [L])

And I've added single module cut, copy and paste using the [X], [C] and [V] keys.

More info and pictures later when Muff's server lets me upload them.

Thonk Support
aka Monobass

Post by Thonk Support » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:14 pm

RichyHo wrote:Thanks to a great idea from my Dad you now get a visual preview of each module if you hover your mouse over the module's 'module tree' button for more than half a second. The preview is scaled nicely to fill the free area of screen to the right of the module tree.
Very nice
Thonk - CLICK HERE - Modular Synth DIY + Eurorack Accessories Store

AS of October 2020 this account which used to go by the name of Monobass is now manned by various staff at Thonk.

RichyHo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by RichyHo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:58 pm

Monobass wrote:
RichyHo wrote:Thanks to a great idea from my Dad you now get a visual preview of each module if you hover your mouse over the module's 'module tree' button for more than half a second. The preview is scaled nicely to fill the free area of screen to the right of the module tree.
Very nice
Thanks. Now that 'upload picture' is working again (cheers Muff), here are a few of examples. I like this feature...

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:01 pm

Cannot wait to use this.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Thonk Support
aka Monobass

Post by Thonk Support » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:53 pm

RichyHo wrote:
Monobass wrote:
Very nice
Thanks. Now that 'upload picture' is working again (cheers Muff), here are a few of examples. I like this feature...
I think I would actually use this feature to quickly compare/discover modules more than i'd actually use the rack planner! (this is a good thing if it's not obvious)

AS of October 2020 this account which used to go by the name of Monobass is now manned by various staff at Thonk.

RichyHo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by RichyHo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:08 pm

Monobass wrote:
RichyHo wrote:
Monobass wrote:
Very nice
I think I would actually use this feature to quickly compare/discover modules more than i'd actually use the rack planner! (this is a good thing if it's not obvious)
I think that I should maybe display all the other available module info on that screen too so you get size, current draw, price, own, sold etc.

RichyHo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by RichyHo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:10 pm

I couldn't sleep so I did some work on the patch cables. The new black outlining and centre dots make them much more visible and defined against the (usually) grey module panels. I've also added a nice little function to snap any new patch cables created to the positions of existing ones if they are near enough. This makes for a much neater picture. There's still work to do on the cables, but they are headed in the right direction now...

n0rd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by n0rd » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:41 pm

Might want to include "Format" and "Manufacturer" to the menu.

So instead of navigating the menu like this:
Add Module -> Euro -> Expert Sleepers -> ES-3
Add Module -> Euro -> Expert Sleepers -> ESX-8GT

You would do this:
Format -> Euro
Manufacturer -> Expert Sleepers
Add Module -> ES-3 (Would show all Expert Sleeper modules)
Add Module -> ESX-8GT

Something like that or the typical "side bar" with different areas for each category as per most planners. The advantage being much less menu navigation and being able to see a list with out it being on top of the main viewing area.

Also a search / filter would be a handy feature too. For those times when someone wants to "Fill an empty 6 HP" or "I need a Euro mixer". I think the "side bar" will be nicer to display the results.

Steve
:tardis:

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:06 am

RichyHo wrote:I couldn't sleep so I did some work on the patch cables. The new black outlining and centre dots make them much more visible and defined against the (usually) grey module panels. I've also added a nice little function to snap any new patch cables created to the positions of existing ones if they are near enough. This makes for a much neater picture. There's still work to do on the cables, but they are headed in the right direction now...

Looks great Rich and very useful. Of course once you also add the feature of marking knob/slider positions and save as patch feature I'll be paying even more for this code than I would have done before.

A patch library than can :goo: :goo: :goo: :goo: paper :tu:
I'm looking for nothing at this moment in time

RichyHo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by RichyHo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:36 am

n0rd wrote:Might want to include "Format" and "Manufacturer" to the menu.

So instead of navigating the menu like this:

You would do this:
Format -> Euro
Manufacturer -> Expert Sleepers
Add Module -> ES-3 (Would show all Expert Sleeper modules)
Add Module -> ESX-8GT

Something like that or the typical "side bar" with different areas for each category as per most planners. The advantage being much less menu navigation and being able to see a list with out it being on top of the main viewing area.

Also a search / filter would be a handy feature too. For those times when someone wants to "Fill an empty 6 HP" or "I need a Euro mixer". I think the "side bar" will be nicer to display the results.

Steve
Thanks for the feedback Steve. I like the idea of filtering by HP or by module type. As far as the navigation is concerned it is not currently necessary to do this...
... you just do this...

Add Module -> Euro -> Expert Sleepers -> ES-3 -> ESX-8GT ... etc.

... as the module tree stays visible after choosing each module. I think I need to do a new YouTube video so that these new features can be seen working in context rather than in isolation. I may change it slightly to obscure less of the working area, but anything more will have to wait until v1 feedback has been analyzed and v2 development is being planned. Saying that I have taken all of your points on board. Thanks.

Thonk Support
aka Monobass

Post by Thonk Support » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:07 am

it would be great if you could auto-populate racks based on ceratin criteria to help do a visual compare and contrast between modules.

like you do a query for all filters between 8-20 HP and it populates an empty rack with all valid ones.

obviously this is just for research purposes rather than rack planning.. but it feels like you once you bring all this information together in a nice interface there are lots of different ways of interrogating it. the emergent features might be the most exciting of all eventually.

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:14 am

Monobass wrote:the emergent features might be the most exciting of all eventually.
Fully agree

RichyHo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by RichyHo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:19 am

a100user wrote:
Monobass wrote:the emergent features might be the most exciting of all eventually.
Fully agree
I agree too. This is why I wanted to build this myself from scratch - so that new features can be easily added as they are suggested or become apparent over time. We are just at the beginning... I wonder where this'll be in a year or more?

I've improved the 'droopy cabe algorithm' (by choosing better bezier curve control points to make the bends less extreme for those who are interested!). Monobass, note that straight cables are still available and will be added to the opitions screen soon.

jln
Common Wiggler

Post by jln » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:08 am

RichyHo wrote:I've also added a nice little function to snap any new patch cables created to the positions of existing ones if they are near enough.
This is brilliant, imho !

RichyHo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by RichyHo » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:18 am

New Feature: Select By Manufacturer
You can now select one module then press 'M' on the keyboard to highlight all modules from the selected module's manufacturer. All of the Doepfer modules in the rack below have been selected in this way:

New Feature: Select By Width
You can now select one module then press 'W' on the keyboard to highlight all modules of the same width as the selected module. All of the 4 HP modules in the rack below have been selected in this way:

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:55 am

Bloody hell Rich, just gimme :D

Thonk Support
aka Monobass

Post by Thonk Support » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:58 am

yeah you're such a rack tease :hihi:

RichyHo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by RichyHo » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:13 am

Rack tease? Me? With these new pretty colours I am really spoiling you...

RichyHo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by RichyHo » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:26 am

New Features: Show/Hide Screws, Show/Hide Rails, Show/Hide Screw Holes
Several new options have beeen added to the Options panel:

These new options - used in conjunction with the existing border thickness selector, hide feet and hide shadows - allow for a more minimalist appearance, should that be your thing...

n0rd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by n0rd » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:32 am

May I suggest a keyboard 'key' for quick "hide cables" in case you have huge cable stack and need to read something underneath...

Unless you want to implement a cable 'shake' animation :p
:tardis:

Carci
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Carci » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:37 pm

When ?!
FS : Doepfer MCV24 - Eowave Ringobug

Thonk Support
aka Monobass

Post by Thonk Support » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:11 pm

n0rd wrote:unless you want to implement a cable 'shake' animation :p
Actually the Nord G2 editor did that... A keyboard shortcut which randomised some of the parabolic variables per cable.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:18 pm

OT i guess:

for the DIYers:
how about an option to integrate dIY modules ?
or is that a unrelated task ?.

hmmm, ...is there a how to anywhere to bring modules into a modular planner ?
( integrate a how to as help file maybe ;) )

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”