Accurate / Inaccurate Information Regarding VTL Prices

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

valis
aliens killed bigfoot

Accurate / Inaccurate Information Regarding VTL Prices

Post by valis » Wed May 02, 2012 12:58 pm

This is a repeat post of sorts but I've posted this info in numerous threads and I still keep getting pms, emails, and seeing posts from people completely freaking out about the vactrol price hike. Plus I keep hijacking the VTL buy thread so I'll stop.

... So if you haven't already, take a deep breadth and let's dispel some of the incorrect statements about the recent increase in vactrol prices.

A couple of weeks ago I called Excelitas (among many of their distributors, both recommended by them and not) to find out about the crazy increase in vactrol prices. I also read what I could online. This post is the fruit of such labor.

My purpose for (re)posting this info is to be helpful. A lot of us need dozens of VTLs and to see them jump so much in price is plain scary. I thought that I had put this information adequately out into the ether but I figure I'll just start this thread and then there won't be any more ambiguity.

General conclusions

- Vactrols from this point should not cost $15+ but should be around $4 - $5 for quantities of around 100 for a VTL5c3 (you can do the math on single units at the bottom of the distribution chain if you'd like).

- If you can't find these prices on your continent, I highly recommend calling Execlitas and asking them about who their reputable distributors are for where you live (you may have to tell them that you represent a small electronics company).

More Info

I had a long conversation with Excelitas. Here are the main points:

- According to the representative that I spoke to, distributors such as Newark, Allied, etc are doing a "disservice to Excelitas." Excelitas increased their prices by 50% and expected their distributors to do the same. The 300% increase is unacceptable and Excelitas is going to have a "talk" with their distributors.

- Vactrols are not being phased out and Excelitas has not decreased their production of them. They will continue to be in production but will not revert down to their original price.

- The price increase is somewhat tied to RoHs issues.

- The representative stated that the price for 100 VTL5C3s should be at about $4 - $5. That's not great but a hell of a lot better than $20 each.

- Lots of people are freaking out and Excelitas knows this. Excelitas is trying to take control of this problem. As you may know, Excelitas recently purchased the company that previously produced the vactrol.

- Excelitas will provide info on their reputable distributors who aren't gauging if you contact them.

Where to get your vactrols

Well that's up to you.

-There's a buy going on in the DIY section

-I have recently ordered successfully from Chris Electronics and am quite pleased. This is a company that was recommended to me by Excelitas. My quote from Chris Electronics from just the other day is that they will do $4.27 for 250 - 600 VTL5C3s. Lead time from the factory is 5-6 weeks. Ordering larger quantities didn't sound like it would be a problem.

Additionally, I just found out that there is no minimum order for VTLs from Chris. They'll send you just one if needed.

I've been mentioning Chris Electronics' name a bit but I do it only to stress a point. There are good distributors still out there. Additionally, it is my hunch that you'll see prices from Newark, Allied, etc fall (in fact, nobody at Allied had any idea what so ever as to why the prices had jumped so much to begin with).

Again, I hope this is useful information. Take it for what you will. I'm just hoping it eases some troubled DIYers soul.

Edited due to bad spelling, grammar, and clarification.
Last edited by valis on Wed May 02, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

craque
xenochronous wiggler

Post by craque » Wed May 02, 2012 1:01 pm

Thanks for doing the research on this and coming up with a definitive answer. I'm definitely more at ease.

:yay:

valis
aliens killed bigfoot

Post by valis » Wed May 02, 2012 1:05 pm

Well I certainly hope this info helps with the creation of all your crazy noise projects. :tu:

craque
xenochronous wiggler

Post by craque » Wed May 02, 2012 4:37 pm

that it will my friend, that it will.

:mygod:

Jarno
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jarno » Thu May 03, 2012 1:58 am

I've been talking to my local vendor about PerkinElmer vactrol pricing, and he confirmed that prices have been climbing, but indeed not with 300%.

Keep in mind though, that 50% increase is quite an increase for electronics components, in a market where high volume customers demand a yearly decrease in price. The company I work for (electrical connectors) have been trying to increase pricing to offset the rise in raw copper cost, but I think we would have been tarred, feathered and run out of town if we tried for 50%.

It could be that the distributors got scared and assumed pricing will increase further and built in a buffer, they can't adjust pricing every month so they will need to plan ahead too.

haima
Veteran Wiggler

Post by haima » Thu May 03, 2012 8:58 am

thanks for posting this info valis - good to know the real situation :tu:

samuraipizzacat29
adadadadadadadsr

Re: Accurate / Inaccurate Information Regarding VTL Prices

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Thu May 03, 2012 10:17 am

valis wrote:
- According to the representative that I spoke to, distributors such as Newark, Allied, etc are doing a "disservice to Excelitas." Excelitas increased their prices by 50% and expected their distributors to do the same. The 300% increase is unacceptable and Excelitas is going to have a "talk" with their distributors.
thank you - that was all i needed to hear. Those numbers were what I was figuring in my head, and couldn't wrap my head around how that's possible. I don't understand in what world this makes business sense to anyone, but if that's what's really going on then I say screw 'em all. I guess the guys I was getting pricing from are just looking at the market rate (edit: or they're not distributors), but i still don't understand what would possess them to think they could turn a 6k profit on a 1k piece order. Unless they just think i'm a dummy..... I hate business, I just want to eat and live in a little shack and move on with my life.

Thank you for doing the work and being forthcoming with the information.
"You can't rule the world by going at it all scattershot." - Pearl Forrester, "The Final Sacrifice"

Always stuff for sale. Pm me, add me on facebook. Send a carrier pigeon. Fox me.

madcap
Cactophile

Post by madcap » Thu May 03, 2012 6:36 pm

:hail:

Solid work.... Thank you

ringstone
antipodean experimentalist

Post by ringstone » Thu May 03, 2012 7:42 pm

Yes, thanks Valis for putting in the time to research what's happening here. Hopefully now the real story is coming out those retailers who have increased their prices well and beyond the 50% increase from the manufacturer will bring them back down to a more reasonable price. Personally I will be avoiding them and giving my business to sellers like Small Bear who have only increased in line with the wholesale price increase.

Cheers
Blair

Return to “Music Tech DIY”