Buchla format panels discussion

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Would you be interested?

yes
88%
no
12%

Total votes: 78

Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

Buchla format panels discussion

Post by Rod Serling Fan Club »

This thread was originally to check interest in buchla format panels from MPC. There is a separate thread for ordering the first batch of panels. I’d like to turn this thread into more of a general discussion thread for current and future buchla format panels.

For historical reference:Hey guys,
I've been planning on doing my buchla-ish PCBs in a buchla-ish style/format modular. I've noticed in the euro threads that metalphoto panels seem pretty reasonable if you order a small quantity.

Things to consider: we can do these in blue or black (the blue would likely not be an exact buchla match). They would likely have names fitting the DIY/PCB project that spawned them (i.e. 258J). Theymight incorporate addition features (such as resonance on the 292 or various filter type outputs of the 291) on and on. So these are not 1:1 clones of buchla panels, the lettering wont be blue, etc. If you want panels like that it sounds like sanders is making some really classy panels. Otherwise, these will be buchla format, hole spacing etc. These are meant to be a balance between affordable and a (hopefully) nice looking homage to buchla design.
Last edited by Rod Serling Fan Club on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:28 am, edited 5 times in total.
iopop
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by iopop »

I would be interested in a 291 panel. A "294" utilizing two 194 clone boards or a dual "194" would be rather interesting as well.

Not sure if you're interested in other's designs? Added my first draft for a dual 194. Since then realized that a 294 could be done quite easily, i.e. adding a attenuators on each band and all goes into an mixer.
Attachments
194_dual.png
194_dual.png (26.82 KiB) Viewed 3949 times
Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

Pretty much exactly the same thought I have for that PCB. 2 on a panel with a mix out ala 2x294 so you can use it for individual bands or as an EQ. I'm not clear on your knob/slider placement. I think we would have to go with knobs in order to fit 2 to a panel.
iopop
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by iopop »

Haven't had the chance to test/draw a "294" layout yet. Thought about 30mm sliders - dual rows of those should fit in height - but it might feel too short and look bizarre. Four pots would fit in width though.

You are planning to use Buchla standard connectors, i.e. banana for cv and minijacks (or 3.5mm) for audio?
Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

iopop wrote:
You are planning to use Buchla standard connectors, i.e. banana for cv and minijacks (or 3.5mm) for audio?
Probably as I guess that would be the most popular option. I'd like to have designs that are inclusive of what most people would want - "design be committee". If we do minijack sized holes for audio I will most likely enlarge the holes on my panels so I can have all bananas.

I'd like to have the mounting holes as standard so if someone wanted to add these to an existing 200/200e it shouldn't be a problem.

I could see that the black vs blue might be the biggest thing people wont like but I'm not aware of an affordable way to do blue lettering. My goal with this is keeping the panel costs reasonable but nice looking. Maybe others will jump on the bandwagon and make buchla fomat panels this way as well.

I have a long list of stuff I would try to tackle over time -
- 258J
- BofDK complex oscillator (beauty of decays board and 2x258J)
- 208ish complex oscillator (this is dependent on lanterman releasing a blanaced modulator board but would consist of 2x258j + lanterman balanced modulator + timbre/crossfader)
- 292c (4x T white LPGs)
- buchlidian voltage processor (4xbuchlidian and maybe some other functionality [mix, logic?]
- 291 (2xJ3rk pcbs)
- 281 EG (2x toppo)
- 194/294 (2x 194)
- 280/284ish design (based on lanterman easel EGs)
- 245/246 sequencer (using lanterman pulser and CGS program/seq PCBs)
- CLEE LPGs (maybe, maybe not - perhaps redundant with the T White/maybe fun for something different?)
- 106 or 206 mixer
- maybe great divide/cypher (andrew F PCBs, cypher based on 208 random as I understand it a clock divider in buchla would be nice as well)
- something with the lanterman preamp/env detect

I am open to other ideas and things that come along.
iopop
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by iopop »

Sounds good!

I have 5 DIY Buchla panels. 258, 292, 281, CVP and a combined Double Well Chaos and Jerkster. All courtesy of beautyofdecay_. But I plan on adding more, currently I'm looking at making a 3x5 panel Buchla 100 cabinet. Mostly because some of these diy solutions will become pretty deep. The Buchla 100 cab is around 7" deep, should swallow everything. That said I have another 10 to fill it up with and beside the 194 & 291 - I also planned on using a dual version of J3RK's flopseq and a few cgs pcbs not used on the best of panels like,

Dual Analog Shift Register
Master Divider & Cascade Mixer
CV Cluster
Weighted Random Switch & Analog Switch Matrix
Dual Psycho LFO & Slope Detector

Have some rough initial sketches of these on paper.

So, to sum it up, yes, Im looking for someone to share the panel costs. Im not that religious about doing 100% clones either, but I will use using banana and 1/8" jacks.
Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

Here is a preliminary design for the 258. I'm open to ideas. I could mark the output jacks for different waveforms (perhaps main, sin, sqr on one and main, sin, tri on the other?). I could leave the bottom blank or add J3RK, Verbos, Buchla or something.

E.A.S.
Veteran Wiggler

Post by E.A.S. »

Will these be drilled for switchcraft tini-jax like in buchla?

or 3.5mm?

-Mike
Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

E.A.S. wrote:Will these be drilled for switchcraft tini-jax like in buchla?

or 3.5mm?

-Mike
I will do what the majority wants, if there is enough interest to pursue this.
Last edited by Rod Serling Fan Club on Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

I would like to implement resonance on the 292 panel. Anyone have any good ideas without completely messing up the look of the panel?
valis
aliens killed bigfoot

Post by valis »

You know I'm interested. I have pretty much the same buchla backlog as you.
iopop
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by iopop »

On the 258 you could add a 3PDT switch to switch between square / triangle outs. Schematics for the switch wiring are hidden in the 258 build thread. Waiting on a few components to arrive so I have yet to wire mine up, but Ive seen others implemented the switch. Any trimming will most likely be messed up when changing waveform.

Attaching a bad image of my panel, again design thanks for beautyofdecay_, its pretty tight behind the panel, but Ive managed to make brackets and it would be possible to use JB Weld as well, on three standoffs.

292, one horizontal row of pots over the vca/both/vcf switch? you have to limit the area that the cv inputs and pots use. To make some more space the output jacks could be aligned sloped as per 292e.
valis
aliens killed bigfoot

Post by valis »

Wow. That looks really nice.
Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

258 - Yes I am considering the switch.
292 - good idea. I need to order a bunch of knobs so I can try the layouts on paper.

On your panel are you using the grey jack the same as verbos? As an input to change the V/oct response?
iopop
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by iopop »

Yes, the grey banana is supposed to be the v/oct input.
oberkorn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oberkorn »

have 5 panels from beautyofdecay (through iopop):
230, 255 (cvp), 258j, 281 and 292

Need 266 and 291 panels, maybe 294 and 259 too
need to see these before I decide
you have to pay for the music but the noise is free
Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

iopop wrote:Yes, the grey banana is supposed to be the v/oct input.
Sorry, I meant something different. On the verbos module, as I understand it, the grey jack is to scale the v/oct response. So on the verbos module it isn't a v/oct input. It is there to change from 1.2v/oct to 1v/oct or whatever scaling you want. I've been curious about the usefulness of this as a jack vs potentiometer or whatever. I'll probably just do what you've done though.
Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

oberkorn wrote:have 5 panels from beautyofdecay (through iopop):
230, 255 (cvp), 258j, 281 and 292

Need 266 and 291 panels, maybe 294 and 259 too
need to see these before I decide
I'm curious how much the beautyofdecay panels cost. Maybe that is a better route? ...and blue might increase the interest.

What PCBs are you using for the 230? If lanterman, are you just omitting the preamp output?
iopop
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by iopop »

Ah, I never used / seen the 258v, but based on this, http://buchlatech.blogspot.com/2009/02/ ... -258v.html , I always thought that he changed the v/oct trimmer with a 1.2v/oct input?

The cost was 36 Euro per panel. I think beautyofdecay got his even cheaper since he decided to drill them himself. Not sure where he had them made up, at some local dutch company I assume.
Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

I requested a quote from MPC to get an idea on price. I was looking over their material and it turns out that they can do color although they generally cannot do "exact" matches. Also, it reads as if the color might be inconsistant. I'm sure it is an added cost

I worked in a shop for a while that did anodizing and with color it can be an inexact process. I imagine that if all the panels were ordered at the same time they would use the same bath and all come out the same but if we scattered orders out I am guessing the color of the blue might vary some from panel to panel. I've sent some questions about this to see what they say.

I have them quoteing various quanitites: 2-5-10-15-20
Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

iopop wrote:Ah, I never used / seen the 258v, but based on this, http://buchlatech.blogspot.com/2009/02/ ... -258v.html , I always thought that he changed the v/oct trimmer with a 1.2v/oct input?
I think you are correct. :doh:
ultrashock
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ultrashock »

I believe it v/oct trimmer was brought at the faceplate with practical intent. DIfferent Buchla revisions has different scale - there were 1, 1.2 and even 2.4v/oct (in vintage systems 300) before the one unified 1.2v/oct scaling was implemented.
another one keyboard input? what keyboard being westcoast? - out! :deadbanana:
valis
aliens killed bigfoot

Post by valis »

It's nice to see interest slowly creeping up. Cam- let us know when you get those quotes. Thanks for taking the time to do this!
synthnut
Common Wiggler

Post by synthnut »

If folk don't mind a satin rather than brushed finish I can do blue in-surface anodised stuff. Same technology as the Euro panels...
What sort of thickness are people wanting btw?
Hides under the desk :hmm:
Hand made rather than CNC at the moment, but I have a master plan...

Cheers,

Ben
www.bigbluewave.co.uk
valis
aliens killed bigfoot

Post by valis »

Hand made/drilled? Sounds intense. Do you have any price quotes for batches of 5 - 10 panels?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”