Photos of the EMS (Cornwall) Synthi A 2011

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

sascha.victoria
deleted/nevermind

Post by sascha.victoria » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:23 pm

sgnelson wrote:I have to say, I was pretty sure we would never see this day. Hell must have frozen over.
Hell might not have "frozen" but there sure have been a lot of insane natural disasters in the last few years.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun May 01, 2011 1:16 am

The attack button looks the same used on some of the last 'A's that were made. The power lamp and joystick are new/different. The labels for the mods look awful. I would peel those off after getting the functions memorized. It looks so shiny. The VCO Frequency pots are almost mirror finish looking.

Good for Robin Woods for sticking to it and making some very patient peoples dreams come true!!!!! :sb:

I wonder how many order list folks are like, 'oh shit... I need a few thousand euros now.'

I cannot wait to hear one of these things!!!!!!!!!!!!
:alien:

vassili
Common Wiggler

Re: Photos of the EMS (Cornwall) Synthi A 2011

Post by vassili » Sun May 01, 2011 5:31 am

digitana_electronics wrote:Hi all..thought this might be better in a new thread as the previous one was all about 'speculation' etc about when new EMS(Cornwall) Synthi A's and VCS3's would be shipping again.

Well the Synthi A's have started shipping. These are photos were kindly sent to me by someone who has been on the waiting list since 1998. He received it a few days ago..

You'll notice it still retains the Bulgin AC socket and there is no prestopatch socket. I think keeping the Bulgin socket is good idea on a Synthi A(S) as an IEC socket would look out of place to my eyes.. Pity the prestopatch connector wasn't kept though..

Anyway the buyer also had Robin add a bunch of mods before shipping it :-

Osc sync on Osc 2
Hi/lo frequency range on all 3 oscillators
Osc 3 stabilisation (this is done as standard for Osc 1 & 2)
VC shape on Osc 2 & 3
Patchable inverter
Switchable filter mode 18/24 dB
Switchable filter unslew
VC filter response

cheers
steve
:love: :love: :love:

now show us the new VCS3 please!

kidtesla
sucker for filters

Post by kidtesla » Sun May 01, 2011 6:51 am

Definitely a work of art...beautiful!!

Thanks for posting the pictures.

richard
bananaphile

Post by richard » Sun May 01, 2011 7:10 am

Looks shit and someone on the internet told me it sounds like a VST plugin!

you guys should cancel your places on the list immediately!

(I'm on the reserve list BTW :twisted: )
Bastard Science Vol.1 and 2 (Hordik, Buchla, Serge, EMS, Oberheim) https://soundanatomy.bandcamp.com/album ... ence-vol-1
https://soundanatomy.bandcamp.com/album ... ence-vol-2

Tales from the Voodoo Box (EMS Synthi A solos) https://soundanatomy.bandcamp.com/album ... ynthesiser

Richard Scott - Several Circles https://cuspeditions.bandcamp.com/album ... al-circles

digitana_electronics
Learning to Wiggle

Post by digitana_electronics » Sun May 01, 2011 7:19 am

Looks shit and someone on the internet told me it sounds like a VST plugin!

you guys should cancel your places on the list immediately!

nice try :hihi:

mckenic

Post by mckenic » Sun May 01, 2011 10:09 am

Even ten years ago I knew I'd never have the cash for one but I admire the folks that got on the list and their faith and patience!

Hope it pays off for yall and you post some vids once you get yer systems!

Thaknar
Common Wiggler

Post by Thaknar » Sun May 01, 2011 11:25 am

I need money! someone wants to buy some organs? :)

Morley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Morley » Sun May 01, 2011 12:04 pm

Nice!
Hope he keep s producing them at a reasonable rate!

fluxivity
Common Wiggler

Post by fluxivity » Sun May 01, 2011 12:32 pm

let us hope that the rate accelerates, currently .0065 synthi per month
:doh:

(assuming 1998 as the beginning of the list)

does anyone know the prices?

P

digitana_electronics
Learning to Wiggle

Post by digitana_electronics » Sun May 01, 2011 1:39 pm

fluxivity wrote:let us hope that the rate accelerates, currently .0065 synthi per month
:doh:

(assuming 1998 as the beginning of the list)

does anyone know the prices?

P
2011 prices :-

Synthi A £3000

VCS3 £3200

These are without any Mods.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sun May 01, 2011 2:17 pm

I notice the pin matrix is different - at least different for the ones I owned - the ones I owned had white score lines between some of the rows and columns to help in patching. There used to be more pin storage also - 20 pins in 2 rows. This layout is like the MkII without the presto-patch and less 2 positions. No presto-patch is a big loss - no possibility for a 32x32 matrix linking module or other custom patch panels and interfaces (external patching to your other modular). The Joystick button is different to of course.
Otherwise it is a great thing to see these in production again. I give kudos to those who stayed on the list and will get one (I miss the 3 I used to own for sure).

-James
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

AntManBee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AntManBee » Sun May 01, 2011 2:39 pm

It's really amazing that there is still demand for a piece of 50 year old technology - I just can't imagine anyone wanting a Machinedrum or TB303 in 2061.

I'm No.68 on the waiting list but am hoping that 2012 will be the year I finally get a VCS3 (exactly 30 years after I first used one). I wish I'd bought one in the mid 1980s when they were very cheap but, like almost everybody else, I was seduced by DX7s and samplers...

theparegorickid
Interzone, Inc.

Post by theparegorickid » Sun May 01, 2011 3:16 pm

Like many, I was seduced by the VCS3 while watching Roxy Music perform Ladytron on the whistle test. I think people want one due to their scarcity, if Robin starts churning them out, there are only a few people out there that will pay $5,000.00 for a synth and the mystique will be gone and so will some of the demand. They are very unique sounding instruments but for its shear functionality, 5grand would buy quite an amazing euro or 5U system. That said, I can not wait until the day I meet the postman who is carrying my new VCS3.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sun May 01, 2011 3:28 pm

AntManBee wrote:It's really amazing that there is still demand for a piece of 50 year old technology - I just can't imagine anyone wanting a Machinedrum or TB303 in 2061.

I'm No.68 on the waiting list but am hoping that 2012 will be the year I finally get a VCS3 (exactly 30 years after I first used one). I wish I'd bought one in the mid 1980s when they were very cheap but, like almost everybody else, I was seduced by DX7s and samplers...
I feel your pain - I sold my VCS3 and my 2 AKSs for a little over the $500 each I bought them for...

-James
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

AntManBee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AntManBee » Sun May 01, 2011 3:29 pm

theparegorickid wrote: I think people want one due to their scarcity, if Robin starts churning them out, there are only a few people out there that will pay $5,000.00 for a synth and the mystique will be gone and so will some of the demand. They are very unique sounding instruments but for its sheer functionality, 5grand would buy quite an amazing euro or 5U system.
For me it's the originality of the compact keyboard-less design, the pin matrix, and the VCO and EG architecture that appeals rather than the sound specifically, although of course the sound is a significant factor. It's a highly intuitive noise machine. The only other synth I've wanted as much was an ARP 2600, the best aspects of which are much easier to replicate in euro.

There's no way that Robin is going to flood the market - if I'm No.68 on the list and have to wait at least a year then he's not exactly mass-producing them.

Kent
Curator/Janitor/Zookeeper

Post by Kent » Sun May 01, 2011 3:56 pm

3000£ is stinkin' cheap for that thing!

scienceblu
Learning to Wiggle

AKS 2011

Post by scienceblu » Sun May 01, 2011 5:33 pm

Agree.. but consider that the price of £3000 maybe has the 19% of Vat not included.. or not?

Raglani
EMS blasphemer

Post by Raglani » Sun May 01, 2011 10:06 pm

YAY!

Robin told me two or three years ago that after the cases were used up and the stock of VCS3 cabs were gone they'd be unveiling a new portable design..
Anyways I hope in general it knocks the prices down on all models long enough for me to sell everything I own and get one! :hmm:

beyourdog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by beyourdog » Sun May 01, 2011 11:02 pm

So if you re number 53 on the waiting list, you should receive yours in the year 2453, right ? :mrgreen: :lol: :cry:

noobyscooby
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by noobyscooby » Mon May 02, 2011 1:14 pm

Tempted to get on the list for either (probably a VCS3) but will wait to see how quickly he startes banging through them.

Morley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Morley » Mon May 02, 2011 1:25 pm

Kent wrote:3000£ is stinkin' cheap for that thing!
They are pretty simple inside tbh, but it's probably a fair price. I think the Fenix is for example a bargain when you compare the technology.. (and features)
Just being devils advocate! I am glad to see new synthi's and hope he can produce them in useful numbers.

velocity
Common Wiggler

Post by velocity » Mon May 02, 2011 2:35 pm

I think it's a fair price, people have been asking insane prices for the vintage models, whether they've been getting the asking price is another matter. Either way it'll be interesting to see if the new models have an effect on the existing market.

It's true the Synthi's a simple device, but then so was the MiniMoog, what makes them both great is the overall package, the routing, the way the parts interact to create something unique. By the look of it Robin Wood's done a great job, it's great to finally see the new Synthi's leaving the workshop.

ps I've been on the list for 8 years! :yay:

noobyscooby
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by noobyscooby » Mon May 02, 2011 3:31 pm

Are they still making the Fenix? Will be interesting to see what will happen to the used Synthi market.

Morley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Morley » Mon May 02, 2011 4:29 pm

velocity wrote:I think it's a fair price, people have been asking insane prices for the vintage models, whether they've been getting the asking price is another matter. Either way it'll be interesting to see if the new models have an effect on the existing market.

It's true the Synthi's a simple device, but then so was the MiniMoog, what makes them both great is the overall package, the routing, the way the parts interact to create something unique. By the look of it Robin Wood's done a great job, it's great to finally see the new Synthi's leaving the workshop.

ps I've been on the list for 8 years! :yay:
In my experience when "new" versions come out, the old ones keep rising. When people pay $10k for a VCS3 they aren't really buying a tool, but an iconic item from a certain era. Same with guitars and cars for example.
Many will try and justify the high prices of vintage ones by "it sounds better" or whatever, but in reality it's a collectible and the price is dictated not by what it does, but by what it is

In the case of the VCS3, it's a a great and unique sounding collectible as well!
I'm very glad I kept mine. There are very few British synths of note, so the concept of a 40 year old British synth that is iconic is very attractive to many.

Compared to a Minimoog, the difference is you can still get a Minimoog for under $3k so there is no economic reason to re-release it (and there are probably 20 times as many out there so it's easier to find)

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”