5U Blacet Time Machine build

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!
russma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

5U Blacet Time Machine build

Post by russma »

I saw a post on Matrixsynth a while back that said John Blacet was selling his Time Machine PCB's on his "Bargain Basement" page. I've always wanted that module so I popped for the PCB right away. Here's the PCB. Note that this is the 5U version of the PCB, which is bigger than the original Frac version.

Blacet subsequently sent me notice that he also had a few 5U front panels and a few hard-to-find components, so I bought those as well.

This delay uses a Panasonic MN3005 BBD chip, which I ordered from Utsource, after reading about them in an E-M thread.

The other day, Dave Brown shared his BOM for the module, so I placed a Mouser order today.

The first issue I need to address is the bracket. Blacet apparently had some brackets for this, but ran out before I could snag one. I checked with Bridechamber, thinking his 4-pot stooge bracket would work, but I think the PCB is too big to fit (it's around 6.5” x 5.4”). The bracket is only slightly bigger.

So unless someone here has a better idea, I'll need to have a bracket made.
Russ M.
sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck »

Excellent! Keep us posted with your progress!

Brackets - you could always double up 2 smaller brackets - ala:
Son of Storm Tide Flanger II back 2 by sduck409, on Flickr

That connecting part in the middle is not really needed - you usually get enough stiffness without it.

The only advice I have on building this is to skip the pcb mounted pots - unless you can come up with a really really stiff bracket, the pots are going to have to absorb some stress every time you move this thing around - it's a fairly large, heavy pcb (relatively speaking of course) once it's built, and pcb mounted pots aren't noted for their structural strength. I originally built mine with the pots on the pcb, but had to change them out after they got damaged in transit once.

Oh - I was curious, as I have a 4 pot bridechamber bracket here for some yet to be determined project, and took my Time Machine out to see if it'll fit, and it will, with lots of room to spare. The only problem is that these brackets are made out of heavier steel than most of his brackets, so drilling and cutting it to size will take some work.
russma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by russma »

Thanks sduck!
...The only advice I have on building this is to skip the pcb mounted pots...
Definitely. I'm planning to panel-mount the pots, regardless of the bracket I end up using.
...I have a 4 pot bridechamber bracket here...and took my Time Machine out to see if it'll fit, and it will, with lots of room to spare. The only problem is that these brackets are made out of heavier steel than most of his brackets, so drilling and cutting it to size will take some work....
And you have the large-format PCB? If so, great, I'll just get the bridechamber bracket and break out my diamond-tipped drill bits.

:guinness:
Russ M.
patchdub
Wiggling with Experience

Post by patchdub »

oh jealous!!

just check the bargain basement page and the boards are all gone.

any thoughts as to how the time machine compares with the flight of shadows?
Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luka »

i use 2mm aluminium off-cuts for brackets (Well actually i got some plates espcially cut in my last order) and i use some 20mm aluminum strip to make L brackets which mount off my bananas. it takes no time to get a bracket together this way

bananas are great to mount brackets as they have so much thread

[/img]
boothnavy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by boothnavy »

I am building one of these, too. I haven't gotten my PCB/face yet. Web site says should ship 1-10-11. i wonder if it is also going to be a large format PCB?

All my parts are ordered!

I will be posting my progress here as well.

@patchdub: I just checked the Blacet web site and it looks like the PCBs are still available... Its says "add to cart"
Last edited by boothnavy on Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
boothnavy - synthesist

www.analogcraftsman.com
sduck

Post by sduck »

russma wrote: And you have the large-format PCB? If so, great, I'll just get the bridechamber bracket and break out my diamond-tipped drill bits.
I do! But check my measurements against the measurements posted on Bridechamber's site to be sure - my eyeball method is riddled with inaccuracies.

As far as the Sound of Shadows - I may be wrong, but isn't it based on a digital delay chip? The demos I've heard have been a lot cleaner sounding than what you can get out of the TM. Back behind a bunch of other modules is a dual SoS module planned here.
russma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by russma »

Yeah, the SOS is built on the PT2399, so it's a digital delay. The Time Machine is built on the MN3005 analog BBD chip. The SOS has a built-in VCA, the Time Machine does not. The Time Machine has a built-in LFO, the SOS does not.

According to bridechamber, the 4-pot stooge bracket is 7” long and 3.875” wide. The TM PCB is 6.5" long and 5.4" wide. So the bracket is long enough but not wide enough.
Last edited by russma on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ M.
sduck

Post by sduck »

Correctomundo, my friend - reread the bridechamber page! it's 7x5.5 inches! (you were reading the 3 pot bracket measurements) It'll fit! Yay!

russma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by russma »

Hey you're right! Good eye sduck, thanks. I'm off to bridechamber to order it.

:tu:
Last edited by russma on Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ M.
russma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by russma »

Will it be ok to drill the PCB holes that close to the edge of the bracket?
Russ M.
pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix »

russma wrote:Will it be ok to drill the PCB holes that close to the edge of the bracket?
The bracket is steel. As long as the hole is set back just a little, it will be fine. From the photos, it looks OK.
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

FS[US] Black Stereo Delay, Black Dual ASR/EG, Rampage, Streams, SM630 AWS, MMF, MIX6
https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=267613

"I confess that I'm scarcely using it, because I've got too many modules." -- ferran
pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix »

I didn't even know about the large format PC board for the TM. Mine are the frac size. None of the pots are board-mounted on mine.
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

FS[US] Black Stereo Delay, Black Dual ASR/EG, Rampage, Streams, SM630 AWS, MMF, MIX6
https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=267613

"I confess that I'm scarcely using it, because I've got too many modules." -- ferran
JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice »

Just FYI but I think it may be too small: Stooge braket from Synth Tech:
http://www.synthtech.com/testcart/index ... cts_id=274
sduck

Post by sduck »

russma wrote:Will it be ok to drill the PCB holes that close to the edge of the bracket?
There's plenty of room - don't worry, I didn't align up the bracket perfectly in the picture. The bridechamber bracket is actually a little bit bigger than the original Blacet one.
russma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by russma »

ordered.
Russ M.
russma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by russma »

patchdub wrote:...I just checked the bargain basement page and the boards are all gone....
FYI: John Blacet just reported on the SDIY list that he has some more MOTM style PCB's now.
Russ M.
Adam-V
Count Modula

Post by Adam-V »

@patchdub

The time machine board details have been moved to the DIY page.

Cheers,
Adam-V
fracmonkey
JB or not JB, that is the question.

C25

Post by fracmonkey »

Note recently added to the DIY page...

"Note on C25: This is the compander timing cap and effects attack and decay response of the module. Earlier TMs used a 1.0 electrolytic, later models a 0.1 mylar. You may want to adjust this component to taste; and perhaps try a value between the two specified."
russma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by russma »

hey, cool!
Russ M.
patchdub
Wiggling with Experience

Post by patchdub »

Adam-V wrote:@patchdub

The time machine board details have been moved to the DIY page.

Cheers,
Adam-V
thanks! see that now. but $89 seems like a spendy pcb. still on the fence...
bf
12 Bit Wiggler

Post by bf »

patchdub wrote:just check the bargain basement page and the boards are all gone.
John posted the the MOTM group on Jan 6th that he accidentally ordered MOTM sized PCBs. You can purchase them here -> http://www.blacet.com/DIY.html
Snoked!
bf
12 Bit Wiggler

Post by bf »

Nevermind, I see that has already been covered now.
Snoked!
davebr
Ultra Wiggler

5U Blacet Time Machine Build

Post by davebr »

I just finished a second Time Machine using the 5U PCB. My first was the original PCB that I had to modify for 5U. I wasn't aware of the 5U PCB and it sure makes it easier.

I put together a Mouser parts list for mine. I had to make a few substitutes including using a MAT03 for the LS358-71. I see now that John offers the LS358-71 which would better and less expensive.

The parts list is on my Time Machine page.

Dave
tomcat
Common Wiggler

Post by tomcat »

Dave,
The Mix control requires circuit modifications. RN3 changes from a 56K isolated resistor network to four 113K 1/4W radial mounted resistors. R28 changes from 100K to 200K. C15 changes from 22 pF to 10 pF - optional.
Does this refer to the 100k pots you used or is this another story?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”