Yusynth cv standards

Discussion and support for the M²Synth modular, MFOS and
YuSynth products from Soundtronics
dummyplugconspiracy
Common Wiggler

Yusynth cv standards

Post by dummyplugconspiracy »

Wow. What a chore this module is. I worked through all the notes about the pcb vs BOM component mismatches and I think I got all that right. The wiring is incredibly dense but I even feel like I managed that. Before I attempt to test and trim this sucker I had two questions:

1. I noticed that each row of outputs has a dedicated ground wire that's shared across the three output jacks in diagram part 1. But in diagram part 2 the channel 1 ground wire is pictured running to the shared grounds of the inputs too. Is that right?? If so, I guess it would be just as effective to jumper the grounds at the jacks rather than run that cable a second time. Right? I don't see any other dedicated ground for the inputs, so is it indeed shared between the inputs and the outputs?

2. Trimming this module calls for a DVM with 4000 points resolution. My DVM goes out to 3 decimal places, but the target voltages seem to read out to 4 decimal places. So I gather my DVM is inadequate to trim this module. Correct? I wasn't planning to buy a new DVM, but if there's no workaround I guess I'd love recommendations from the forum on a 4000 point DVM.

Thanks!
DxPxCx
Paul Cooper
Common Wiggler

Re: Yusynth cv standards

Post by Paul Cooper »

1. I have not made one of these but if I was making one now, I would run the ground wires as per wiring diagram 1. Then I would simply wire the ground of each input socket to its respective group of output sockets. I.e Input 1 socket ground to output sockets grounds 1A, 1B & 1C. Then the same for 2 and finally 3.

2. It's not strictly about decimal places but DVMs are quoted as having a maximum count. A 3-1/2 digit DVM has a count of 2000 which means the maximum reading is 1999. With this DVM you could measure a voltage to 3-decimal places on the 2V range but only up to 1.999V (1mV resolution). Voltages above this means changing up to the 20V range but now the resolution is only 20mV.

A 4-1/2 digit DVM with a 20,000 count would allow you to still measure up to 19.999V with the 1mV resolution. These will cost more but an alternative is the 3-3/4 digit DVM that has a count of 4,000 which means you can measure up to 4V with the 1mV resolution.

There are other counts as well but hopefully you get the idea.

Accuracy is a whole different topic.

The YuSynth trimming guide would require a 4-1/2 digit meter (20,000 count) anything less than this would be a compromise in how precise you can calibrate the ranges. My daily meter has a 50,000 count (4-4/5 digit) but also have a number of rather old un-calibrated meters up to 2,000,000 count which are rarely used! You can pick up in the UK new 4-1/2 digit meters from around £85 upwards.
Paul Cooper - Owner of Soundtronics
Websites: Soundtronics, M²Synth , M²Synth on Kickstarter
Social Media: Instagram, Facebook, Youtube
dummyplugconspiracy
Common Wiggler

Splendid. I will wire it that way tonight. I suppose I can test basic functions without owning the right DVM yet, but I better go shopping this weekend if I hope to trim it. I determined last night that I don't love my current DVM anyway, so maybe I will hand it down to my son and get a proper upgrade.

THANKS!
DxPxCx
dummyplugconspiracy
Common Wiggler

Worked like a champ. Confirmed it is doing 1V and 1/2V switching and will calibrate soon.
I decided to do the panel in a vintage office equipment theme complete with simulated loose leaf paper behind the graphics and glitchy typeface font. The panels are half the fun.
THANKS!
Attachments
CV standard rear.jpg
CV standard panel.jpg
DxPxCx

Return to “Soundtronics (M²Synth)”