Mutable Instruments Shutting Down

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

xcc
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Mutable Instruments Shutting Down

Post by xcc »

Sad news from France.

From the article:

The statement was a bit too alarming to be immediately grasped by the stunned forum contributors. So Émilie gave the following clarification:

“ I won’t design new modules and production is progressively stopping. Modules are marked as discontinued when the last shipment is sent to dealers. I can’t predict when it happens as it depends on how fast a batch is made, and how fast it gets sold. It might happen in a week, in a month or in a quarter. There is no easter egg, no plot twist, no teaser”

https://www.gearnews.com/mutable-instru ... ting-down/
Last edited by xcc on Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe.
Wired for sound

Re: Mutable Instruments Shutting Down

Post by Joe. »

That's sad. I liked the Branches module when I had it.

I wonder what's going to happen to the Lines forum? :hmm:
diggida
Wiggling with Experience

Post by diggida »

That’s really too bad. Such a huge part of the modern modular story.
Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Post by Cybananna »

Sad news. Very cool modules and from what I understand, a great gift to the modular community for allowing others to use the code for their modules
Noisteria Emission at Bandcamp

WTB: circuit abbey ccbo
Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos »

We’ve known there weren’t going to be anymore new modules for since Beads was released, and more and more modules have been officially discontinued, so this isn’t all that surprising.
Rabid
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rabid »

Wow. Since I came back to modular I bought more MI than anything.
Sometimes I feel like the Red Green of modulars.
James_S
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by James_S »

Pretty sad news, I wonder what the reason is? Has she made so much from it she can go off and do whatever she wants without worrying about money or are the margins so tight it's not worth the hassle?
Black
Common Wiggler

re: Mutable Instruments Shutting Down

Post by Black »

Well, this had early been announced by Émilie. Honestly, I admire erverybody who dares such a big cut in his/her life (I know what I am talking about). I can only say I wish her the very, very best for her future.
KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS »

End of production, but not the end of an era due to her foresight and generosity in providing the means to continue her legacy.
A very rich and beautiful legacy. May the wind always fill her sails as she steers her new course.
A very big Thank You for all you have done in the synth universe, Emilie!
what gives?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by what gives? »

If the reason is financial independence I'd say good for her!
timeforest
Common Wiggler

Post by timeforest »

Joe. wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:27 am I wonder what's going to happen to the Lines forum? :hmm:
nothing at all. lines is oriented around monome and mannequins to a degree but also it’s just a forum like any other.
Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell »

James_S wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:17 am Pretty sad news, I wonder what the reason is? Has she made so much from it she can go off and do whatever she wants without worrying about money or are the margins so tight it's not worth the hassle?
what gives? wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:33 am If the reason is financial independence I'd say good for her!
the reasons are documented and easily available online, if you want to look a bit - predominantly wanting to stop working in an industry where everyone and their dog knows her personal history
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

choose the case to fit the modules - not the modules to fit the case!!!
ŘłB23³
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ŘłB23³ »

KSS wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:29 am End of production, but not the end of an era due to her foresight and generosity in providing the means to continue her legacy.
A very rich and beautiful legacy. May the wind always fill her sails as she steers her new course.
A very big Thank You for all you have done in the synth universe, Emilie!
Totally agree
Samaepstein
Common Wiggler

Post by Samaepstein »

So much appreciation for an unendingly inspiring body of work
Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos »

MI is dead- long live MI!
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz »

Dang. She’s done much for this community. I thought production was going to continue for a long time or someone was going to sustain the company.

I predict inflated prices coming.

Bot buys clearing out stock and suckering people while they collect dust instead of use.
James_S
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by James_S »

Agawell wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:38 am
James_S wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:17 am Pretty sad news, I wonder what the reason is? Has she made so much from it she can go off and do whatever she wants without worrying about money or are the margins so tight it's not worth the hassle?
what gives? wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:33 am If the reason is financial independence I'd say good for her!
the reasons are documented and easily available online, if you want to look a bit - predominantly wanting to stop working in an industry where everyone and their dog knows her personal history
That's interesting, I'll have a look into that. Not sure what is meant by that, like, personal things about her?
James_S
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by James_S »

James_S wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:03 am
That's interesting, I'll have a look into that. Not sure what is meant by that, like, personal things about her?
In my ignorance I didn't know that Olivier/ Emilie is the same person.. I'd heard both names mentioned and thought they were both separate people involved in Mutable Instruments. Well, it's a shame that she feels that way but fair play to her for having her conviction and going through with it. As others have mentioned, her work will live on through the clones. I think the open sourcing of her work is probably the kindest act ever in the modular community, even more so given it must have come at quite a financial cost to her.
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief »

Joe. wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:27 am I wonder what's going to happen to the Lines forum? :hmm:
You mean, the forum that's run by Monome? Where people in the last couple of days have mostly been talking about Teenage Engineering and Elektron?
RTG
Common Wiggler

Post by RTG »

All the best to Emilie, i think she really must go down in history as one of the great module designers (for lack of a better word) of this era!
klstay
Ultra Wiggler

Post by klstay »

Who knows, perhaps the future holds a design hosted on NE Versio or such done through a private, behind-the-scenes collaboration?

I would love to have seen the Mutable take on a live looper somewhat akin to Lubadh.
damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase »

wow! end of an era no doubt. mutable really pushed the scene to many new levels... ergonomic, aesthetic, fair-priced, feature packed, music-ready, open source... really is legendary. so glad i grabbed my beads finally. best of luck in her progress beyond
Joe.
Wired for sound

Post by Joe. »

starthief wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:14 am
You mean, the forum that's run by Monome? Where people in the last couple of days have mostly been talking about Teenage Engineering and Elektron?
Ya, that modular forum, the one with a community focused on coding. Their members have done a lot modifying and sharing MI code, I really hope they continue and the MI legacy doesn't stagnate.
renaissancemono
Common Wiggler

Post by renaissancemono »

RTG wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:16 am All the best to Emilie, i think she really must go down in history as one of the great module designers (for lack of a better word) of this era!
100% agreed. I cannot imagine what contemporary modular synthesis would look like without her. Whether or not she designs another instrument, she will continue to influence the musical landscape for years to come.
BlinkyLights
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights »

Eh? We only know it because she shared it / went through it all in public / made it a focal point of sorts. I would never know nor care, otherwise, and barely care now beyond general well wishes.

I definitely don't get it.

(shrug)

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”