New Bugbrand modules: 2130 Thru-Zero VCO and Phaser - teaser video(s)

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

New Bugbrand modules: 2130 Thru-Zero VCO and Phaser - teaser video(s)

Post by otoskope »

[EDIT: one more video added to end of first post]

A little evening study with some new soon-to-be-released Bugbrand modules I'm testing - a new oscillator with thru-zero FM and CV-sweepable waveforms, and a brand new phaser module! Two of each, of course, but not much more is used here. This is not in any way a proper demo, but my very first patch trying to make interesting sounds out of them.

The new 2130 VCO has already been presented by Tom in this thread: https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... 9&t=249747
A big thanks to Tom for letting me try early production units of these amazing new modules!

I have pasted the youtube notes below, including some patch notes.

VIDEO 1:

The 2130 VCO has both sine and a wave-shapeable outputs, with CV control over waveform, sweepable between a range of analog waveforms. It's most notable feature is its excellent FM capabilities - both exponential and thru-zero linear FM (two inputs).

The Phaser module has 12 stages, and jumper-selectable feedback from stage 8/10/12. No built in LFO (for that traditional phaser sweep), but instead dual modulation inputs with attenuverters.

My first thoughts - these VCOs are really beautiful and flexible for FM and waveshaping! Especially in a pair. Audio modulation (and cross-modulation between a pair) of waveshapes gives super-fat sounds, normal and cross-FM gives rich and bright timbres. The phasers give beautiful resonances and ringing room-shape, and it sometimes sounds like physical modelling. Compared to some earlier Bugbrand phaser prototypes I tested a few years ago, they are more refined and controllable. Super distinct. I know I am not using them in the traditional way here, so it is hard to compare to other phasers, but I love using phasers like complex resonant filters and even oscillators- as well as the normal sweepy cretures.

Patch notes:

Here I use two 2130 VCOs, with strong cross-modulation, i.e., they FM each other through the linear thru-zero FM input. The output of VCO1 goes to an LPG, then to phaser 1, and then on to phaser 2. Phaser 1 and 2 outputs go directly to L and R on the recorder. Pitch of each VCO is controlled from row 1 and 2 on the CTL1 touch interface, while row 3 affects both timing and one of the phasers. Pressure from each pad is routed to various modulations on VCOs and phasers for gestural control of the sound. And the master pressure output goes to the LPG. The CTL1 is clocked from a looping envelope, which is in turn modulated from Row3 and from another envelope to give some irregularities. This second envelope also modulates one of the phasers slightly. There is a slight audio rate modulation from VCO2 to the left phaser. There may be some other little modulations going on, too.

VIDEO 2:

A second test/demo of the new Bugbrand modules, the 2130 VCO and the Phaser, two of each. I try to explore what kinds of sounds you can get out of them without any FM or shape modulation going on.

Nothing else is heard here, but these four modules are modulated by a couple of interconnected sequencers (through wavefolders to create multiple tracks and patterns) and quadrature LFOs for that stereo sweepy-sweepy. All Bugbrand.

Left channel is VCO1 into Phaser1, and right channel is VCO2 into Phaser 2. In the beginning, the phasers are on Dry only, so you hear the pure sound of the VCOs, with waveforms swept manually. Then I fade in the phased sound, and start to change various parameters manually (phase, feedback, feedback polarity), etc. After a while, I add sweeping modulation from a quadrature LFO, and then melodic modulation to the phase parameters. Then I cross-sync the two VCOs (by adding two cables) to create a kind of homophonic line. Then, I switch the VCOs to LFO mode, but it takes a while before I get the phaser parameters right to explore the that ringing, drippy sound from the LFO transients. In the end I sweep the LFOs back up to audible low, raspy frequencies.

The CTL1 (rev3) I use here is a touch interface/programmer/sequencer from the "old blues", not made anymore. If we nag Tom about it, he may someday make an updated version. I happen to know he's been thinking about it... It's the most awesome live interface!
Last edited by otoskope on Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The brain is always greener on the other side.

soundcloud1 soundcloud2
bandcamp
youtube
northerntao
Wiggling with Experience

Re: New Bugbrand modules: 2130 Thru-Zero VCO and Phaser - teaser video

Post by northerntao »

Yes, was hoping for the phaser to be one of the modules Tom mentioned. Just bought a Bi Phase pedal last week, but it will be good to have an analog 12 stage in the case. Sounds great! Much fun to be had.

And here’s my official nag for a “new” CTL-1. I use a Pressure Points/Brains now with a format jumbler to similar effect.
a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user »

Bug phaser! Excellent. Would appreciate a proper review if time permits.
lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud »

Thanks for the video, nice to see that pair of pairs in action. Cool little setup and sounds.

Does the vco sound much different to the old one or just offer more functionality and patch points?
otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by otoskope »

lud wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:31 am Does the vco sound much different to the old one or just offer more functionality and patch points?
I have not had a chance to compare them just yet, as my SynthVoice is part of another setup in a dance studio right now. But personally, I am more interested in potential, possibilities, and functions than of the actual "sound" (if such a thing even exists). I am more interested in what I can do with a module than what it does by itself, so to speak. More in variability than some abstract tonal quality. Maybe that's just me, but that is part of my aesthetics :hmm:

So far, I have greatly enjoyed the new timbral possibilities given by the extended FM functionality (through-zero, combined exp and lin) and the modulation of waveshape. And of the less cluttered interface. They do have different cores, according to Tom, so I guess they also may very well "sound" different. But to me, the sound is the sum of what it can do.
a100user wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:52 am Would appreciate a proper review if time permits.
I'm not that kind of youtuber... :despair: But I'll try to record some more "bare" sounds from the two modules in the next few days.

soundcloud1 soundcloud2
bandcamp
youtube
T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell »

Lovely sounds!!!! Exciting🤩
seeasound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by seeasound »

wow all sorts of delicious noises! Man I been holding off on new bugs for almost 2 years now and theres quite a bit of catching up to do! And that CTL1 is where the fun is at! Tom pls :hail:
rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof »

Wonder if there’s any chance we’ll get a red version of the phaser. Would make a nice standalone option.
northerntao
Wiggling with Experience

Post by northerntao »

Also a module or two I don’t recognize in this recent video. Looks like a sequencer module on the bottom left. Seeker (“Seq”er)? Like the sounds nonetheless - some reverb in post maybe.

otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by otoskope »

Oh, I had missed that one. Nice! And yes, you may be right. It will be good, I'm sure.

soundcloud1 soundcloud2
bandcamp
youtube
freakynorth
Withered Gardener

Post by freakynorth »

rowsbywoof wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:59 pm Wonder if there’s any chance we’ll get a red version of the phaser. Would make a nice standalone option.
I was hoping for this too!!
Mentioned it in the “what we’d like tom to make” or whatever thread.
Would be cool as hell.
Maybe even a dual phaser in a red 3fw case somehow??
Damnnnn

I’m really excited for all this new stuff coming out nonetheless!
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand »

lud wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:31 am Does the vco sound much different to the old one or just offer more functionality and patch points?
Yes, I'm with Palle here - as far as I'm concerned, the waveforms are the same as for previous VCOs - who knows, there may be slight variance, but the key is what controls are offered. The wave-mix from Tri->Saw->Sqr is nice - different from, say, the old blue VCO I had with shape control - all because this is based on the 2130 which is a very nice tri-core VCO chip. I usually used tri-cores anyway, but this just makes implementing nice features like TZFM very straight forward from a design point.

rowsbywoof wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:59 pm Wonder if there’s any chance we’ll get a red version of the phaser. Would make a nice standalone option.
I would like one, but I'm not sure when it is possible. I did quite a few prototype stages to complete the modular one (will do a thread soon) so feel I've got a reasonable handle on the design I've built up & it'd be a good candidate for stand-alone.
otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: New Bugbrand modules: 2130 Thru-Zero VCO and Phaser - teaser video(s)

Post by otoskope »

I added a second video (also added to the first post), showing non-FM sounds from the VCOs and more focus on the Phasers. Enjoy!

soundcloud1 soundcloud2
bandcamp
youtube
northerntao
Wiggling with Experience

Post by northerntao »

Listening cranked up on my monitors - sounds massive. I may be moving across country next year, so I have a moratorium on new purchases, but I have 4 FW free for a pair of the phasers!
kosta
Common Wiggler

Post by kosta »

Love the glass bottle / wooden / plinky sounds you're getting around the 9:00 minute mark there, Palle. Awesome stuff. Thanks for posting.
a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user »

Thank you Palle
otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by otoskope »

kosta wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:11 pm Love the glass bottle / wooden / plinky sounds you're getting around the 9:00 minute mark there, Palle. Awesome stuff. Thanks for posting.
Those are simply the sharp edges of the LFO waveforms pinging the ringing feedback of the phasers, while phase is being modulated by my (off-pic) sequencing source.

"Pinging the ringing" - that had a nice ring to it...

soundcloud1 soundcloud2
bandcamp
youtube
Tajnost
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tajnost »

Do you take requests for more demo videos? : )
Would love to hear more phaser sounds with percussive sources, more at max resonance settings, again maybe other sources like Orgone or Radio Music samples (voice, field recordings ).
First impression from your video - it sounds very good!
batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas »

otoskope wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:55 am "Pinging the ringing" - that had a nice ring to it...
:sb:

I enjoyed your video Palle + loved this phaser sound.
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug »

May we see a Phaser panel please? :hyper:
:nana:
otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by otoskope »

BananaPlug wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:39 pm May we see a Phaser panel please? :hyper:
I'm sure Tom will post it on his homepage soon, but here's a quick photo:
20210913_095338.jpg

soundcloud1 soundcloud2
bandcamp
youtube
lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud »

😻
freakynorth
Withered Gardener

Post by freakynorth »

BugBrand wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:14 pm
I would like one, but I'm not sure when it is possible. I did quite a few prototype stages to complete the modular one (will do a thread soon) so feel I've got a reasonable handle on the design I've built up & it'd be a good candidate for stand-alone.
This is great news!! Can’t wait to put a PTDELAY/SPRING TANKER/ PHASER 11FW together..

I will get the modular version no doubt though as well.

Sounds and looks great on the vids! Thanks for those Palle!

Things are pretty exciting in the bug part of the forum right now!!!
a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user »

Just what the doctor ordered
leftbracket
Wiggling with Experience

Post by leftbracket »

I'd also be down for a red version of the phaser if it were an option down the road. I'm not usually keen on more than six-stage phasers, but there's something much more pleasing about this one to my ears. I've been looking for a solid phaser with flexible CV options for a while, and this would fit the bill especially well with the feedback loop and bananas.
"One day at Black Mountain College, David Tudor was eating his lunch. A student came over to his table and began asking him questions. David Tudor went on eating his lunch. The student kept on asking questions. Finally, David Tudor looked at him and said, 'If you don't know, why do you ask?'"

https://soundcloud.com/leftbracket
https://aylacosnett.bandcamp.com

Return to “BugBrand Devices”