List of music made primarily with Bugbrand?

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

List of music made primarily with Bugbrand?

Post by otoskope »

Dear Bug friends,

Yesterday, I recorded a long interview with Tom about the history of Bugbrand and his thoughts and ideas about things. The interview was initiated by Philippe Petite at Modulisme, and it will be transcribed and published over at Modulisme soonish!

[edit - I added the Modulisme link above - TB!]

One question was about musicians who have composed and recorded with Bugs, and Tom named a few specific collaborations of his, but we need more! Could you please post below info and links to albums and releases (including digital releases) you know about (your own or others') that were primarily made with Bugbrand devices? Then, I will compile it for Modulisme, to accompany the interview.

I guess such a list is also of general interest to us all!

Thanks in advance! :bugbrand:

/Palle
Last edited by otoskope on Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The brain is always greener on the other side.

soundcloud1 soundcloud2
bandcamp
youtube
DickMarker
Veteran Wiggler

Re: List of music made primarily with Bugbrand?

Post by DickMarker »

Are you ok with folks pushing their own wares, because I've made three releases that have been exclusively Bugbrand (with the exception of any field recordings/concrète content, although that stuff is often played through Robert's BB-style Radio Music adaptation)? All released on cassette/digital via various labels.
otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by otoskope »

DickMarker wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:46 pm Are you ok with folks pushing their own wares
Surely! As long as it fulfills the criterion of being made primarily with bugs!
I added that to the original post. Thanks for pointing out that it wasn't clear.

soundcloud1 soundcloud2
bandcamp
youtube
DickMarker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by DickMarker »

No worries, just checking!

Here's a list of my exclusive Bugbrand works (excepting the above mentioned use of samples etc):

Not the best pic but this is what I used for all of the above; SynthVoice enhanced with Chirper, DDSR, PT Delay, CO Filter and Robert's Radio Music and Tresses (Braids) modules. I may have made occasional use of an SQ-1 for sequencing and a MengQi Arcade Manifold for switching.
IMG_20201118_163427_416.jpg
This was also done with BB, although the synths are more a backdrop to the vocals/words.

If you want/need more info about any of it let me know!

Best,
Mark
otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by otoskope »

soundcloud1 soundcloud2
bandcamp
youtube
otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by otoskope »

Tom Bugs mentioned this one in the interview:
https://boomkat.com/products/living-leaving

And of course the dual Bugbrand compilation tapes from 2019 curated by chrisdermo:

Some more bandcamp finds:

Quite a few tracks on this one:

soundcloud1 soundcloud2
bandcamp
youtube
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand »

Yes! It was great to chat & there was quite a lot forgotten! Only afterwards did we (/you) remember the dual bug comp Chris put together!

My Living-Leaving wasn't entirely bug-centric - it was basically my first jam with a Roland JX3P, though sure it was clocked with bug stuff (there's a 606 for sure too).

You found one of the Bass Clef releases - on Public Information.
The other was as 'Some Truths' and was released on Mordant Music [click the link to go to the whole album]:

I always loved Daren Ager's plays back in the old blue days!

Another long-term releaser has been Dave Cohen as Dog of Tears, AC Lyon, DC Offset - some mix various instruments (Elektron etc) but here's one bug-centric, I think:

I need to brush up on more recent releases - I've loved the Dick Marker ones when I've actually got on to listening! Sure there's others that I've totally forgotten too!

[I think the Crossover with Ekoplekz was a live performance - if I remember right it was something like 5 minutes of Nick on his own (non-bug), 5 minutes together & then me for 5mins solo - I have no idea what I'd have used, but likely modular]

Here's the one that came out from playing with Alex Omar S (one or two never got out):

[I think he used his system on Triangulum Astrale (Say it In Space) but hard to say & fairly basic!]
chrisdermo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo »

tIB has done several recently, I think these two are bug centred but worth shooting him a message

WTB / WTTF: Bugbrand PRC2B, ENV1

Current Bugs frame:
https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/1340165
chrisdermo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo »

An old favourite audioweevil release I remembered:

WTB / WTTF: Bugbrand PRC2B, ENV1

Current Bugs frame:
https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/1340165
construct09
Sine me up

Post by construct09 »

Love what KNYST has done with the bugbrand modular
His work has been really inspirational for me

https://knyst.bandcamp.com/
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug »

My BugBrand exploration started with some DIY banana frac modules preceding the first blue modules. Skip ahead many years and the synth I favor most is a portable "Mostly BugBrand" unit. One of three rows is eurorack. I complain about aspects of that format but can't deny that the density and variety can be a big help in a portable setup. Photo here.

Here's a recent recording: Limbering Up (6:26)
This is a couple days old and I still like it a lot. It's an improvised live recording, no editing. Big sound and a lot to listen too.

Table of Contents:

Up front - 28fu of frac:
All BugBrand except for Batcha's Grilles at upper left. Dual Divider, DDSR, Dual Filter, Crossover, PT-Delay, Chirper, UTL4, CTL2, UTL4, Chirper.

Back row - 25" of euro:
There's a Mimeophon, ADDAC TwinT drums and FX-Aid reverb. Next are utilities including modulation sources, Low Gain 5x5 matrix, ADDAC703 mix and O'Tool+. Hidden on the sides are utilities for level matching.

Loose bits:
The Ditto looper, a Fairfield Ring Modulator and an amplified metal box with stiff wires, for percussion sounds.

:nana:
petro
Learning to Wiggle

Post by petro »

Batchas youtube channel is what lead me to discover and get into bugbrand synths. many incredible noise / techno / ambient sounds on his youtube which are using bugbrand / serge / banana synths etc. https://www.youtube.com/c/batchas/videos. he has some releases on bandcamp https://batchas.bandcamp.com/ not sure which ones are bugbrand only or whatever
Muff
batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas »

petro wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:46 am Batchas youtube channel is what lead me to discover and get into bugbrand synths. many incredible noise / techno / ambient sounds on his youtube which are using bugbrand / serge / banana synths etc. https://www.youtube.com/c/batchas/videos. he has some releases on bandcamp https://batchas.bandcamp.com/ not sure which ones are bugbrand only or whatever
Very cool thank you :tu:

The album Correct is indeed made on the BugBrand Modular System with Tom's modules and Scrotum Lab ones.

I finished today the selection of several tracks for a new album in the same vein, also made on my BugBrand system.
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug »

I guess another one couldn't hurt.
Fly In The Ointment (7:16)
leftbracket
Wiggling with Experience

Post by leftbracket »

From my archives, two Board Chirper solos:

and a Postcard Weevil solo:

I've done plenty more with both instruments, but these tracks are the only times that I've used them unaccompanied.
"One day at Black Mountain College, David Tudor was eating his lunch. A student came over to his table and began asking him questions. David Tudor went on eating his lunch. The student kept on asking questions. Finally, David Tudor looked at him and said, 'If you don't know, why do you ask?'"

https://soundcloud.com/leftbracket
https://aylacosnett.bandcamp.com
batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas »

Here you'll find my new album made with BugBrand and Scrotum Lab modules.
All recorded directly to one stereo track, except the first one where I added a voice.

I interviewed and recorded people in the street, asking if they knew what "Bugbrand" was. I enjoyed the answer of the girl we hear in the first track of the album. "Bugbrand? Is that right? What is that? A microwave brand?"

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand »

batchas wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:32 pm I interviewed and recorded people in the street, asking if they knew what "Bugbrand" was. I enjoyed the answer of the girl we hear in the first track of the album. "Bugbrand? Is that right? What is that? A microwave brand?"
Haha! Maybe they've been following the instagram #bugbrand which does throw up some weird bug-relatedness!
adam s
º¿º

Post by adam s »

batchas wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:32 pm Here you'll find my new album made with BugBrand and Scrotum Lab modules.
All recorded directly to one stereo track, except the first one where I added a voice.

I interviewed and recorded people in the street, asking if they knew what "Bugbrand" was. I enjoyed the answer of the girl we hear in the first track of the album. "Bugbrand? Is that right? What is that? A microwave brand?"

Another fantastic specimen of pulsating explorations in joyous ear candy. Thank you for making this.
KNYST
hiding in the forest

Post by KNYST »

Hej Palle. Here is a selection of my output (primarily made with Bugbrand devices)

Albums, EPs, etc:

Single tracks:

Single live recordings:

Don't bother with the "KNYST Plays..." album - it's just a bunch of outtakes demonstrating specific modules or sound palettes... :)
NOISE HEALS.
patch responsibly.
LISTEN | WATCH
otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by otoskope »

My duo-partner in crime, research colleague and good friend Per Anders Nilsson just released this album with solo sax+electronics, where the tracks Sounding Islands 1, 2 & 3 and Davis Islands are sax+Bugbrand.

soundcloud1 soundcloud2
bandcamp
youtube
T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell »

Shameless self promoting :wink:
Some weeks ago Tone Burst released a tape with my music.
It is called «En sommerdag i Kroken (Ruter)».
I used BugBrand stuff extensively all over the release, and the tracks «KES» and «Teori og praksis» are Bug Brand exlusive. On «KES» I utilized almost the whole modular system, while on «Teori og praksis» I focused on the matrix mixer and a handfull of other modules (CVCO, Dual filter). Hope (some of) you will enjoy it! :hihi:
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

T. Jervell wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:14 am Shameless self promoting :wink:
I used BugBrand stuff extensively all over the release, and the tracks «KES» and «Teori og praksis» are Bug Brand exlusive. On «KES» I utilized almost the whole modular system, while on «Teori og praksis» I focused on the matrix mixer and a handfull of other modules (CVCO, Dual filter). Hope (some of) you will enjoy it! :hihi:
That whole album is nothing short of fantastic... excellent work!
T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell »

metamorphmuses wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:14 am
T. Jervell wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:14 am Shameless self promoting :wink:
That whole album is nothing short of fantastic... excellent work!
Thank you for the Nice words😊 Makes me happy to hear that you enjoy it!!
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand »

^^^I already told you I loved the album, but saying it publicly here - great record!^^^

Return to “BugBrand Devices”