Leaving the rack: Drone synths!

Mostly Modular Flying
EASYBOY
Common Wiggler

Re: Leaving the rack: Drone synths!

Post by EASYBOY »

This one surely is the winner in the "style" categorie.

mutierend
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mutierend »

Late to the party here, but I find the Analogue Solutions Colossus to be pretty amazing at drones.
Robert
Co-host, Buchla podcast at http://sourceofuncertainty.audio
TYGTRFB
Common Wiggler

Post by TYGTRFB »

Though it's certainly not made specifically for drone, I've been really enjoying the Hydrasynth for creating drones lately. (The Explorer in my case, though for drone specifically one of the models with CV inputs would be even better.) With three oscillators, wavescan, and a lot of modulation capabilities onboard the thing can make some really interesting layers of sound. As I type this I'm listening to a patch I just made, with only a slight amount of reverb in the DAW, and I'm really digging it.
fumblesmcdrum
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fumblesmcdrum »

post a link!
TYGTRFB
Common Wiggler

Post by TYGTRFB »

fumblesmcdrum wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:43 pm post a link!
This might not be the specific one I was referring to but it's a Hydrasynth example at least: https://soundcloud.com/user-238200504/2022-08-18-drone
unclebastard
Veteran Wiggler

Post by unclebastard »

I'm just about do drones live, using a Dreadbox/Polyend Medusa in Hold mode, which continuously triggers all six VCOs. I can hit six pads and modulate live using the pad X/Y/Z settings, 5 LFOs, 4 envelopes with looping, FM/filter FM, and filter. Or I can set up a slow sequence in 6 VCO mode and modulate that as it plays; all of this goes through a Carcosa fuzz and MS70CDR. I've had a few goes at home already, and it works a charm for me. No doubt that to some people this isn't 'proper' droning, but it's what I've got so it's what I'll use.
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound, Hyberus.
TYGTRFB
Common Wiggler

Post by TYGTRFB »

unclebastard wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:23 am I'm just about do drones live, using a Dreadbox/Polyend Medusa in Hold mode, which continuously triggers all six VCOs. I can hit six pads and modulate live using the pad X/Y/Z settings, 5 LFOs, 4 envelopes with looping, FM/filter FM, and filter. Or I can set up a slow sequence in 6 VCO mode and modulate that as it plays; all of this goes through a Carcosa fuzz and MS70CDR. I've had a few goes at home already, and it works a charm for me. No doubt that to some people this isn't 'proper' droning, but it's what I've got so it's what I'll use.
Either I don't live in a place cool enough to have live drone shows, or I'm not cool enough to know about them. Either way, :cry:
unclebastard
Veteran Wiggler

Post by unclebastard »

TYGTRFB wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:56 pm
unclebastard wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:23 am I'm just about do drones live, using a Dreadbox/Polyend Medusa in Hold mode, which continuously triggers all six VCOs. I can hit six pads and modulate live using the pad X/Y/Z settings, 5 LFOs, 4 envelopes with looping, FM/filter FM, and filter. Or I can set up a slow sequence in 6 VCO mode and modulate that as it plays; all of this goes through a Carcosa fuzz and MS70CDR. I've had a few goes at home already, and it works a charm for me. No doubt that to some people this isn't 'proper' droning, but it's what I've got so it's what I'll use.
Either I don't live in a place cool enough to have live drone shows, or I'm not cool enough to know about them. Either way, :cry:
I'm doing one tomorrow, it's an open mic so anything goes. My first proper gig is in two weeks, again not specifically drone, but that's what I'll be playing.
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound, Hyberus.

Return to “Synth Drone”