Quantix-8

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Post Reply
User avatar
ATOM
Common Wiggler
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:26 am
Location: Norway

Quantix-8

Post by ATOM » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:34 am

Considering to build this:
Image


Quantix-8
I think I can manage the soldering more worried about calibration.
Have to learn how to use my oscilloscope to measure not just to see pretty waveforms.
Anybody built this?
:?:
ATOM
http://atommodular.blogspot.com/

"One day we will be improved"

User avatar
Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5413
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:15 am
Location: melbourne

Post by Luka » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:42 am

it has been on my maybe list for awhile
is there a mac editor yet?

User avatar
ATOM
Common Wiggler
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:26 am
Location: Norway

Post by ATOM » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:48 am

Not to worried about a mac editor.
I have a pc for audio my 27" Imac I use for Muff´ing :lol:

ATOM
http://atommodular.blogspot.com/

"One day we will be improved"

User avatar
mono-poly
Le Cheff
Posts: 5423
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:40 pm
Location: Rotterdam, Netherlands

Post by mono-poly » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:14 am

ATOM wrote:Not to worried about a mac editor.
I have a pc for audio my 27" Imac I use for Muff´ing :lol:

ATOM
Hahaha i am exactly the same.
New 27" imac in the living room and an old p4 in the studio.
I do got a bunch of Quantix-8 boards i need to build at some point.
The farad is the captain of my print.

http://www.mono-poly.nl
http://www.noodlebar.org

WTB blue lantern purple vco

User avatar
neandrewthal
full clout y'all
Posts: 3782
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:30 pm
Location: Spending warm summer days indoors writing frightening verse to a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

Post by neandrewthal » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:33 am

I've got 2 on the pile. The biggest hurdle for me is getting some interface for it.

User avatar
Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5413
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:15 am
Location: melbourne

Post by Luka » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:43 pm

is the only difference between this and miniwave the fact you have the option to make your own waves?

User avatar
ATOM
Common Wiggler
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:26 am
Location: Norway

Post by ATOM » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:37 pm

It can be a 8bit sample player, pattern sequencer. midi to cv device.
Just placed a order.
:tu:
ATOM
http://atommodular.blogspot.com/

"One day we will be improved"

User avatar
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle
Posts: 4356
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:15 am
Location: Rotterdamm son

Post by falafelbiels » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:24 am

So how nice is it to play with as a sample player? Hard to get enough proper samples in? I like my MPC for sequencing and such, but the sample/rhythm bit gets a bit long in the tooth and easily a bit straightforward compared to the modular sounds sometimes. I'd like to stick CV into the samples.
I have a CV/gate to midi thingy that I still need to stick to a frontpanel to midify my analog sequencers and drive the sampler, but for rhythm stuff the quantix seems real nice.

Any thoughts?

User avatar
Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 6322
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:08 pm
Location: on a big voyage

Post by Funky40 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:15 am

I've finished 3 Modules, having a forth stuffed PCB sitting around.
None was wortking......... :cry:
on unit #1 it could have been only the midiconnections which caused the problems, i'm not shure.
Had to give space and power of the modular to other Modules, but i will go back to the quantix8 assoon i'm back into DIY ( i'm totally out of synth dIY and into RC glider DIY now )


Back then i had lots of mail exchange with Marc Bareille und was explaining him what a VCDO can do etc.
To his words, the quantix should be much more powerful.
to what came out of my unit #1 i'm in no doubt that the qunatix is something of the most interesting around.
I never heard a Miniwave, but i'm quite shure that thatone is not a comparison

with all the problems i had with my Q8s, i allready had the coolest waveshaper sounds ever within my synth.
There can come extremly cool sounds out of the q8, thats for shure.




quantix is NOT a simple story,
many factores involved,
in my opinion is not all clear regarding the build, (the switches/ i omitted some to make first tests easier)
but could be beacuse i'm not native english. but marc is not native english either.
I'd say it's nothing for beginners





the quantix is absolutely on top of my list,
i will check assoon my rack has power and i'm fit for it.
Hope to hear here from Guys who have built successfully.
For sale:

User avatar
e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3504
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:55 am
Location: Berlin

Post by e-grad » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:33 am

Funky40 wrote:in my opinion is not all clear regarding the build
I have to almost fully populated PCBs yet stopped working on them bcs. of the modifactions necessary on the board. IIRC I didn't understand how to perform the modification back then. Hopefully I'll dig them out of my project box soon.

User avatar
davebr
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 714
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:55 am
Location: Portland, OR USA
Contact:

Quantix-8

Post by davebr » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:15 pm

I just repaired a Quantix-8 for a fellow DIY-er (e.g. I don't own one). I found a few issues that I documented on my web page. I also found a couple of errors in the documentation that I sent back to Marc. Hopefully this information will help someone else bring theirs to life.

This is a pretty neat module - I was sorry to have to send it back! Having the PC software for creating new waveforms makes it very useful.

Dave

User avatar
Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2722
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:03 pm
Location: chicago

Post by Hi5 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:30 pm

I know Fonik has built one so hopefully he can chime in with some advice.

User avatar
e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3504
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:55 am
Location: Berlin

Post by e-grad » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:47 pm

The original Papareil documention does not seem to be online any longer. Hope every builder is aware of the "C18 bug correction"?

edit: @Dave, thanks for sharing!

User avatar
fonik
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3358
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:54 am

Post by fonik » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi5 wrote:I know Fonik has built one so hopefully he can chime in with some advice.
no, i need advice. :lol: it is simply not running (the ADC IIRC, maybe an issue with the clock speed!?).. i have had not the time to investigate in this, yet. so i will definately take a look at dave's site! great!

User avatar
fonik
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3358
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:54 am

Post by fonik » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:09 pm

holy cow! i just took a quick look at your site, dave. and seems to be exactly the information i needed to make this module work! thank you very much for your efforts and sharing your work. appreciated! :tu:

User avatar
davebr
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 714
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:55 am
Location: Portland, OR USA
Contact:

Post by davebr » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:36 pm

fonik wrote:it is simply not running (the ADC IIRC, maybe an issue with the clock speed!?)
If you have a scope, adjust the level and bias until you get a nice 0 to 5 volt ramp on U12 pin 1. The output bits DB0 to DB7 should all be toggling uniformly, with each one being 2X the frequency of the next output. If the ramp frequency is 1 KHz, then DB7 should be 1KHz, DB6 should be 2 KHz, DB5 should be 4 KHz, etc. If you don't have a scope, then just plug them through a large value capacitor into your amplifier and listen to them. They will be +/- 2.5V signals. Start with a very low frequency ramp so the outputs won't be too high a frequency or you won't be able to hear them. They should be nice and pure (at least as pure as a square wave can be).

Another way is to simply tack another capacitor across C6 to increase the capacitance to lower the frequency. Running too slow shouldn't be much of a problem but too fast certainly can be. Good luck.

User avatar
fonik
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3358
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:54 am

Post by fonik » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:17 am

davebr wrote:
fonik wrote:it is simply not running (the ADC IIRC, maybe an issue with the clock speed!?)
If you have a scope, adjust the level and bias until you get a nice 0 to 5 volt ramp on U12 pin 1. The output bits DB0 to DB7 should all be toggling uniformly, with each one being 2X the frequency of the next output. If the ramp frequency is 1 KHz, then DB7 should be 1KHz, DB6 should be 2 KHz, DB5 should be 4 KHz, etc.
<snip>
Running too slow shouldn't be much of a problem but too fast certainly can be.
thanks for this detailed description, dave. thank you so much.

User avatar
ATOM
Common Wiggler
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:26 am
Location: Norway

Post by ATOM » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:09 am

Thanks for the info.
My Quantix-8 is not working at the moment, I will have another go at this module.

ATOM
http://atommodular.blogspot.com/

"One day we will be improved"

User avatar
e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3504
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:55 am
Location: Berlin

Post by e-grad » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:24 am

BTW As of Jan 6th a software update for the Quantix 8 has been announced on Synth DIY list:
http://m.bareille.free.fr/modular1/quan ... 8_soft.htm

User avatar
fonik
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3358
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:54 am

Post by fonik » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:15 pm

thanks to mr brown the ADC is working now, and so the quantiy does - somehow. will have to calibrate it correctly (still some minor issues with the biasing), and then read the instruction and manual carfully!

User avatar
fonik
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3358
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:54 am

Re: Quantix-8

Post by fonik » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:29 pm

hello dave,
i used the quantix as wavetable OSC and it is working in this mode now. thank you very much. i already played for about an hour modulating the wavetables :tu:

just two short questions about your findings:

from your site:
The Gate I/O jack is wired to J4 on the PCB, which connects to pin 24 of U15 (this is in error in V1.1A documentation but correct in V1.1B documentation). I added over/under voltage protection for the PIC with a 1K resistor in series to the jack and a diode to ground and a diode to +5 volts on pin 4 of U15. The PIC spec is +/- 0.3 volts so you might want to use schottky diodes for a low voltage drop.

The Zero Out jack is wired to J3 on the PCB which connects to pin 4 of U15 (this is in error in V1.1A documentation but correct in V1.1B documentation). Although this is an output, I also added the same over/under voltage protection for the PIC with a 1K resistor in series to the jack and a diode to ground and diode to +5 volts on pin 24 of U15. Again, you might want to use schottky diodes for a low voltage drop.
so those two connections are interchanged?

and the zero detect LED has to be reversed?

now that i look at this module again, i wished i had left off the first inverting opamp at the input, and added the bias control and the zero-detected-indicator-LED on the frontpanel (i fear i will have to do this), since they help you correcting the incoming signal. actually exact the same thing i did with the ADC input on my VCPS-8 sequencer :roll:

User avatar
davebr
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 714
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:55 am
Location: Portland, OR USA
Contact:

Re: Quantix-8

Post by davebr » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:16 pm

fonik wrote:hello dave,
i used the quantix as wavetable OSC and it is working in this mode now. thank you very much. i already played for about an hour modulating the wavetables :tu:

just two short questions about your findings:

from your site:
The Gate I/O jack is wired to J4 on the PCB, which connects to pin 24 of U15 (this is in error in V1.1A documentation but correct in V1.1B documentation). I added over/under voltage protection for the PIC with a 1K resistor in series to the jack and a diode to ground and a diode to +5 volts on pin 4 of U15. The PIC spec is +/- 0.3 volts so you might want to use schottky diodes for a low voltage drop.

The Zero Out jack is wired to J3 on the PCB which connects to pin 4 of U15 (this is in error in V1.1A documentation but correct in V1.1B documentation). Although this is an output, I also added the same over/under voltage protection for the PIC with a 1K resistor in series to the jack and a diode to ground and diode to +5 volts on pin 24 of U15. Again, you might want to use schottky diodes for a low voltage drop.
so those two connections are interchanged?

and the zero detect LED has to be reversed?

now that i look at this module again, i wished i had left off the first inverting opamp at the input, and added the bias control and the zero-detected-indicator-LED on the frontpanel (i fear i will have to do this), since they help you correcting the incoming signal. actually exact the same thing i did with the ADC input on my VCPS-8 sequencer :roll:
Yes, and Yes. On the LED, it has to be reversed AND connected to +5V instead of ground. Marc updated the documention to V1.1B which now includes these corrections. - Dave

stavrosgrigoriou
1-Post Wiggler
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:46 pm
Location: OROPOS-ATHENS GREECE

Post by stavrosgrigoriou » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:21 pm

Hello Dave,

I am currently testing/calibrating/troubleshooting my Quantix-8 and your posted tips and additional comments in this forum are a great help. Thank you!

Reviewing Mark's latest construction documentation, if I am reading correctly the leds schematic, he has just exchanged the ground for the+5V without reversing the led. Still he has confirmed in a message that it must be reversed.

If I am not mistaken the zero out is the zero detect pulse out, correct?

Best Regards

Stavros
Athens Greece

Post Reply

Return to “Music Tech DIY”