OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

OXI ONE performative sequencer brought to you by
two partners: Manuel -engineer & project manager and Ales -marketing & administration.
manuwind
Common Wiggler

Re: OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

Post by manuwind »

WhateverEd wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:30 pm Just tested out a new OXI One and Oxi Pipe, and there are some hardware issues (probably returning my Pipe, haven't decided on the One). First, one of my gate outputs on the Oxi One simply doesn't work (check the OXI bug forum, I'm not alone). That's not a killer for me as there are 8 gate outputs. However, the Oxi Pipe, which connects to the Oxi One via a mini HDMI cable (supplied), has some issues with random gates not working (put the mini HDMI in again, and the set of random not working gates changes, so it is the cable jacks and not the jacks on the Oxi Pipe that create the problem). Suggested fix is to try a different cable. I did, and a different random set of gates didn't work. With the mini HDMI cable connected, I picked up the OXI One and then set it back down, and the set of random non-working gates changed (so simple cable tension in one of the HDMI cable sockets seems to be the issue). I have a third mini HDMI cable coming tomorrow, if that doesn't fix the issue, back goes the Oxi Pipe.
Hello WE, first off apologies for the issues and bad experience caused.

I would like to mention the fail ratio of the first batch was under 4%. I think it’s a very good number for our first product!

We certainly test every single unit but despite that, problems occur. In this second batch some units presented malfunctioning gates after they were tested, shipped and the first hours of use. A metallic part of the jack is put in contact with the chassis with the pressure. This took us by surprise because it didn’t happen in a single unit out of the 600+ of the first batch. We used the same components.

Once identified, we added an extra insulation layer and the problem got solved. Your unit might be made before this measure was applied. It doesn’t happen to all units.

Your OXI One has 1 year warranty so any issue will be solved by us. Please reach us by email and let us know the SN of your unit!
DoverBeach
Common Wiggler

Re: OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

Post by DoverBeach »

It would be cool to be able to modulate/randomize the predefined seq. lenght and have some kind of step repeat (different than retriggers) and note probability per step and not for the whole sequence.
manuwind
Common Wiggler

Post by manuwind »

You can change the step probability in the step submenu.
Shift + step is one way to get into it!
ProgRocket
Common Wiggler

Post by ProgRocket »

Hm.... We can use the pink TRS-splitter to split the Reset/CV-In, right? Maybe we can self-patch Oxi from one gate-out (from a probabalistic step) to its own reset??
manuwind
Common Wiggler

Post by manuwind »

Yes but autoreset after X bar (per sequencer) will come in 3.0
ProgRocket
Common Wiggler

Post by ProgRocket »

This will be awesome and make using the multipliers and divisors so much more straightforward.

(I just thought the reset could be a way to get randomised pattern length as the poster before requested.)
DoverBeach
Common Wiggler

Post by DoverBeach »

manuwind wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:08 pm You can change the step probability in the step submenu.
Shift + step is one way to get into it!
Doesn't this only change the probability of the step triggering or not? I meant the pitch probability per step, not trig prob.
manuwind
Common Wiggler

Post by manuwind »

For that only modulation by LFO or MOD lanes (in 3.0)
CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch »

A taste of what 3.0 will bring can be tested now.

Projects and patterns created or saved with this BETA FW may be corrupted or not compatible with future versions!!
Backup your projects pior to update if needed.

- New Matriceal Mode (Work in progress)
- Isomorphic keyboard.

Plenty of new modulation sources and parameters detinations:

- 2x LFOS per sequencer
- MOD lanes can modulate 2 internal parameters per lane, with amount and offset controls.
This additions make a total of 18 internal and external (CC) modulation sources per sequencer in Multitrack, and 10 in the rest of the modes, per sequencer. Because we like numbers, overall you have up to 72 modulation sources in OXI.

Pattern templates:

- Templates folder & management
- Save patterns as templates
- Load pattern from template

Nudge Menu:

- Time bend per sequencer (% of the global tempo)
- Micro-offset per sequencers in miliseconds (time offset)

Other improvements and fixes:

- Push 2nd encoder and turn to move the grid vertically in POLY,MONO,CHORDS or to select the track in MULTI

Sequencer Setup menu:

- MIDI Out port selection
- Sequencer Resync after X Bars
- Bank select and Program change. Both messages are sent after loading a new pattern if active. (these parameters will be inherited by the arranger slots, not yet implemented).

- Harmony is shown in harmonized sequencers in the keyboard view.

https://gitlab.com/manuwind5/oxi-beta/-/releases/v2.8
fastlanestranger
Veteran Wiggler

Post by fastlanestranger »

So so awesome! Thank you guys for the fabulous support on this wonderful device. Can’t wait to play with the new stuff!
SingIt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SingIt »

Any of you pair this with an 0coast?

Also is it possible to buy this without the case? I don’t see that option on their site.
ProgRocket
Common Wiggler

Post by ProgRocket »

:woah: -- THANK YOU, CARLOS. Pure awesome --
CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch »

SingIt wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:00 pm Any of you pair this with an 0coast?

Also is it possible to buy this without the case? I don’t see that option on their site.
I think the packaging is designed for the case to be the cushion.
It's a nice case, you could store a keyboard and some cabling too haha

Haven't tried 0-coast with it, but it looks like a perfect match. You have both extensive corelated MIDI and CV control at the same time.
rocknrolla
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rocknrolla »

Not sure if this was asked, and OXI site is down to see manual, but is it possible to use CV outputs as Gate outputs for sequencing drums? I.e. I would like to configure 12 Gate outputs and 4 CV outputs, would that work?
fastlanestranger
Veteran Wiggler

Post by fastlanestranger »

rocknrolla wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:30 am Not sure if this was asked, and OXI site is down to see manual, but is it possible to use CV outputs as Gate outputs for sequencing drums? I.e. I would like to configure 12 Gate outputs and 4 CV outputs, would that work?
The CV outputs can be configured to output an envelope so as long as your drum module allows triggering that way, you should be able to do this I think.
bmot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bmot »

fastlanestranger wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:24 am
rocknrolla wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:30 am Not sure if this was asked, and OXI site is down to see manual, but is it possible to use CV outputs as Gate outputs for sequencing drums? I.e. I would like to configure 12 Gate outputs and 4 CV outputs, would that work?
The CV outputs can be configured to output an envelope so as long as your drum module allows triggering that way, you should be able to do this I think.
Another possibility I can think of is to change CV destination to LFO and use a square wave for gated outputs.
rocknrolla
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rocknrolla »

So if you set envelope/square LFO as CV output, then I assume you can output that on a per step basis and use it to manually program those triggers like on a step sequencer?

Also, does anyone have experience how the Arranger compares to WMD Metron's Variations functionality? I looked a the manual but it's not exactly clear. With Metron you can simply copy an existing pattern of multiple tracks to a new Variation, make any editions and then let it change either instantly, after bar end or after end of the Variation. This is extremely powerful for playing live. I looked at some videos but I did not get impression that this is possible.
CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch »

rocknrolla wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:32 am So if you set envelope/square LFO as CV output, then I assume you can output that on a per step basis and use it to manually program those triggers like on a step sequencer?

Also, does anyone have experience how the Arranger compares to WMD Metron's Variations functionality? I looked a the manual but it's not exactly clear. With Metron you can simply copy an existing pattern of multiple tracks to a new Variation, make any editions and then let it change either instantly, after bar end or after end of the Variation. This is extremely powerful for playing live. I looked at some videos but I did not get impression that this is possible.
There are 2 ways, both easily accesible + performable:

1. Step sequence AD envelopes on the CVs, in which the MIDI velocity is the amplitude, the MIDI gate is the decay and the attack is selectable + internally modulable. With the attack set to 0 and max velocity you will get +5V triggers. Workflow is exactly the same as sequencing the gate outputs.

2. Use a MOD lane, there's up to 8 per sequencer and they are independent or linked sequences to the note sequence they run over, to modulate (drawing values on the grid) MIDI CC, 2 internal parameters, Program Change, Pitch Bend, Aftertouch or CV. Independent meaning they have their own length and time division over the note sequence, this allows to set, for example, 1bar per step modulation of 128 steps / bars, over a 1/16 16 step sequence.

Workflow is similar (per step) but each column heigh sets the voltage output value, so you probably want to set them full always.

I'd recommend the first method, as you get all the fun parameters (retrigs, trig conditions, generators, etc) that you don't have on MOD lanes.

If you are into rhythmic sequences, you may like to know that you can have x4 MI Grids engines running at once, and have regular step sequencing above them to set fixed triggers, with retrigs, lots oftrig conditions and all the fun stuff.

Regarding the Arranger, I think is not currently possible to edit non playing patterns as the arranger loads them up automatically, but you can copy paste into a muted or not active sequencer (there's 4 with up to 8 tracks each) edit there and launch it with different timings (none, beat, bar, 2 bars), just tried it and it's straightforward.
This has been discussed in the past (being able to edit with the arranger running without affecting the current patterns), and there's a due Arranger rework, so it may come in the future.
rocknrolla
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rocknrolla »

CarlosUnch wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:16 pm
rocknrolla wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:32 am So if you set envelope/square LFO as CV output, then I assume you can output that on a per step basis and use it to manually program those triggers like on a step sequencer?

There are 2 ways, both easily accesible + performable:

1. Step sequence AD envelopes on the CVs, in which the MIDI velocity is the amplitude, the MIDI gate is the decay and the attack is selectable + internally modulable. With the attack set to 0 and max velocity you will get +5V triggers. Workflow is exactly the same as sequencing the gate outputs.

2. Use a MOD lane, there's up to 8 per sequencer and they are independent or linked sequences to the note sequence they run over, to modulate (drawing values on the grid) MIDI CC, 2 internal parameters, Program Change, Pitch Bend, Aftertouch or CV. Independent meaning they have their own length and time division over the note sequence, this allows to set, for example, 1bar per step modulation of 128 steps / bars, over a 1/16 16 step sequence.

Workflow is similar (per step) but each column heigh sets the voltage output value, so you probably want to set them full always.

I'd recommend the first method, as you get all the fun parameters (retrigs, trig conditions, generators, etc) that you don't have on MOD lanes.

If you are into rhythmic sequences, you may like to know that you can have x4 MI Grids engines running at once, and have regular step sequencing above them to set fixed triggers, with retrigs, lots oftrig conditions and all the fun stuff.

Regarding the Arranger, I think is not currently possible to edit non playing patterns as the arranger loads them up automatically, but you can copy paste into a muted or not active sequencer (there's 4 with up to 8 tracks each) edit there and launch it with different timings (none, beat, bar, 2 bars), just tried it and it's straightforward.
This has been discussed in the past (being able to edit with the arranger running without affecting the current patterns), and there's a due Arranger rework, so it may come in the future.
All clear, thanks for taking time to explain this! :tu:
SingIt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SingIt »

CarlosUnch wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:49 am

Haven't tried 0-coast with it, but it looks like a perfect match. You have both extensive corelated MIDI and CV control at the same time.
Ok great, I am between this and the Hapax. The Hapax seems like it needs to be the brain of the studio where the Oxi can do that but seems more flexible, and mot as much of a full commitment, if that makes sense. I typically make the majority of my tune on an Sp16 or Rytm and then get that into the Ableton. From there I want to add some more synths, extra percusssion..etc. I feel like the Oxi one could be a nice fit there. I do want to control soft synths and plugins too, via USB if possible. The plugins part would be awesome, but not as vital. Just could be a cool way to modulate effects aside from LFOs in Ableton.
CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch »

SingIt wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:10 pm

Ok great, I am between this and the Hapax. The Hapax seems like it needs to be the brain of the studio where the Oxi can do that but seems more flexible, and mot as much of a full commitment, if that makes sense. I typically make the majority of my tune on an Sp16 or Rytm and then get that into the Ableton. From there I want to add some more synths, extra percusssion..etc. I feel like the Oxi one could be a nice fit there. I do want to control soft synths and plugins too, via USB if possible. The plugins part would be awesome, but not as vital. Just could be a cool way to modulate effects aside from LFOs in Ableton.
May be goos info that OXI has 32 MIDI channels (2 devices) via USB, and 48 channels with OXI Split. MIDI routing is extensive and you can select which sequences go to which physical MIDI output (USB, TRS/split, Bluetooth or all).
SingIt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SingIt »

CarlosUnch wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:20 pm

May be goos info that OXI has 32 MIDI channels (2 devices) via USB, and 48 channels with OXI Split. MIDI routing is extensive and you can select which sequences go to which physical MIDI output (USB, TRS/split, Bluetooth or all).
Yeah thats so awesome. Such a tough decision between the 2, with the price difference being less than 100 Euros if I get the Oxi split.I will keep researching.
DoverBeach
Common Wiggler

Post by DoverBeach »

SingIt wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:44 pm

Yeah thats so awesome. Such a tough decision between the 2, with the price difference being less than 100 Euros if I get the Oxi split.I will keep researching.
Hapax Is 860 euro pre Vat, Oxi Is 760 taxes Inc. I don't know where you live, but in Italy the price difference is 300 eur
SingIt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SingIt »

DoverBeach wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:04 am
SingIt wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:44 pm

Hapax Is 860 euro pre Vat, Oxi Is 760 taxes Inc. I don't know where you live, but in Italy the price difference is 300 eur
US, but since that post I went with the OXI. Looking forward to it.
bmot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bmot »

A question for anyone with experience of wireless Bluetooth adapters. I want to connect my Yamaha electric piano to the Oxi via Bluetooth. Which adapter would you recommend? My piano doesn't have Bluetooth, but of course the Oxi does already,

Thanks

Edit to say, I only want 1 way midi, using the Yamaha as a midi keyboard - I don't need to sequence the piano.

Return to “OXI Instruments”