OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

OXI ONE performative sequencer brought to you by
two partners: Manuel -engineer & project manager and Ales -marketing & administration.
Back Down the Path
Ultra Wiggler

Re: OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

Post by Back Down the Path »

My order is en route to me in PA from OXI! DHL has it sitting in some nether realm in England (some enchanted land known as Diseworth).

I read the manual, but I still have a question about harmonizer tracks. How exactly do they work? Are harmonizer track notes transposed to the nearest note in the selected scale set for the chord track? Or do they play the bass note of the currently playing chord?
Started posting jams on...Twitter?

Loads of stuff for sale here (PA/US).
whyfarer
Veteran Wiggler

Re: OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

Post by whyfarer »

Back Down the Path wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:40 pm My order is en route to me in PA from OXI! DHL has it sitting in some nether realm in England (some enchanted land known as Diseworth).

I read the manual, but I still have a question about harmonizer tracks. How exactly do they work? Are harmonizer track notes transposed to the nearest note in the selected scale set for the chord track? Or do they play the bass note of the currently playing chord?
My understanding is that notes in a harmonizer track are mapped to notes in the chord they're following. There are definately more options than the chord bass note because melodies harmonized to one longer chord still (usually) change pitch. And there are also less quantization options than the entire scale. I've put together melodies and chords all within the same scale and the harmonizaton still maps my patterns to more 'appropriate' notes that follow the chords. I'm not sure it the restriction is strictly to notes within the chord if it's a bit more flexible than that.
CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch »

whyfarer wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:11 pm
Back Down the Path wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:40 pm I read the manual, but I still have a question about harmonizer tracks. How exactly do they work? Are harmonizer track notes transposed to the nearest note in the selected scale set for the chord track? Or do they play the bass note of the currently playing chord?
My understanding is that notes in a harmonizer track are mapped to notes in the chord they're following.
This is the correct answer, the allowed notes of the harmonized tracks are given by the chord playing, meaning chord voicing and inversion. This makes both sequences glue together better than just setting to the same tonality (more than scale), since there's a lot of chord variations given a tonality that goes outside the scale grades.

Just wanted to point out that additionally, on the Chord sequence, the root note of each chord can be sent to a different MIDI channel, and also there's an option to lower that root note 1 octave. This way you can have a different instrument playing bass without any additional sequences taken. Pretty neat!
Graffie
Common Wiggler

Post by Graffie »

Received mine yesterday and gave it a quick spin. Some first impressions after 2,5 hours of messing around:
- Like the size since there is only so much room left on my desk and makes it very portable. As already mentioned in this topic. Build quality feels solid and it has some nice weight to it. The aluminum was a great choice. The travel case is nice.
- Workflow seems to be easy enough that I was jamming around with the chord keyboard and tracks in harmonizer mode within an hour or so.
- Really really like the chord keyboard and harmonizer function. Instant gratification.
- The led animation made it a bit hard to see what was going on at times. Luckily you can turn it off.
- Like the looping function. Nice tool for programming longer sequences.
- Kind of wished the Oct parameter from the random perform generator was also available on a per-step basis. Just like the Trig parameter.
- It's great for programming drums since the grid allows you to see 8 tracks and 16 steps at a time.
- Sometimes I did got lost on what was going on. Especially when using multiple multitrack sequencers at once. But that's kind of expected when you control so many things at once from a relatively small interface like this. Assume it will improve over time when I get more used to the interface.

There seemed to be some quirks here and there. But I need to do further playing around to rule out it wasn't due to my own wrongdoings. And there is still tons of stuff left I still need to try. Overall very impressed and I already think it's a very good value proposition if you compare it to the current in the rack sequencers available.
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

CarlosUnch wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:24 am
Nelson Baboon wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:26 pm hey - i've been somewhat remiss in putting this aside once i determined that it is a keeper....have been learning a bunch of percussion instruments, and some other stuff related to processing those sounds, but maybe someone can answer the following question. i'm drooling at all those cv outs on the back - can i send midi cc to the oxi and convert individual cc's to cv outputs? (hoping).
Hey there. This is something on the to-do list. Why is not yet implemented?
CC mappings are not written. In this regard and most probably, all the following will be implemented:
  • External CC recording, playback and offset in real time (internal CC is already implemented)
  • External CC to CV (internal CC to CV is already implemented and it's taken from the CC Perform above, you just need to select which CC goes to which CV on the CV layout)
  • CC Thru (this is already in afaik)
  • CC to OXI's internal parameters. On top of the on board modulation, It'll be possible to externally control OXI's internal parameters. Same goes for the CV in.
Some features that we talked about after the campaign haven't been implemented yet, some proposed by us and some other from the users. If you have any proposal or bug report, please head to the official forum and share it there. We read everything and share the point of view if it's doable in a more or less immediate way. There are some obvious features that any modern sequencer should strive to have, and some other niche ones that you'll probably love. Be sure that the dev team is very invested in making OXI One the best modern sequencer (for us and its users) out there.
Hi - i will also go to the forum...i feel like i'm straddling a line with new products whose spirit i really like, so please don't take this as being negative. and i'm hoping that i am misinterpreting your response (i love it when i'm wrong!!)...but .... i was using the cc performance feature last night to record cc values from the knobs, but that is obviously not ideal for many situations. I will try today (here we get to maybe i misinterpreted) but from what you're saying, and looking at the manual, the sequencer does not currently record cc values coming from an external source. I know that you said that the mapping to cv ports isn't currently saved (i think) but recording this seems to be very basic. But i freely admit that not all of my favorite sequencers do it. My favorite of all time (for timing and value flexibility) is the schrittmacher, buy of course there is no recording, and no cv at all. the seq12 (somewhat recent purchase) is limited in some ways, but you can record cc values. But then no cv.....not even sure at this point what i have that will do it. i have kept the Engine around because it is just so nice of a traditional sequencer - it might do it, but i'd have to review. And then there is the pyramid. I don't much like its ui, but it does allow stuff like this. I'd so much rather use the oxi though!! sorry for the ramble. I think that at least being able to record cc from an outside source should be a high priority feature. But i'm at the stage of integrating some of these new purchases now, and very much enjoying the oxi.
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

oh - slight diversion today! there is a beta version up on the site with a stochastic mode. ok. i'll have to try that out first!

(edit - oh, the update process is easy! thanks for that)

(edit 2 - ah - see that you posted about the stochastic mode on the previous page. Now my next question is how to get to it. i'm not seeing that yet. but i can be slow....)

(edit 3 - found it.....)
Last edited by Nelson Baboon on Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

hmmm - that'd be great if there were a view where you could see the values of the mod lanes laid out on the screen? Am I missing this? the only way you can see the individual values is by pressing on a step, but wouldn't you want to see the values laid out on the screen similar to note values?

i mean, it works well, but if you want to edit values, this isn't ideal.
CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:28 pm hmmm - that'd be great if there were a view where you could see the values of the mod lanes laid out on the screen? Am I missing this? the only way you can see the individual values is by pressing on a step, but wouldn't you want to see the values laid out on the screen similar to note values?
Please be sure to post these suggestions on the forum, otherwise we can't track them properly.
Thanks!
chupanebre
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chupanebre »

Just wanted to chime in. Got the Oxi One a couple days ago and I am having a blast. Cheers to this amazing sequencer. I'll be in the Oxi forum for sure!!! :sb: :goo: :yay: Looking forward to the development of this amazing little beast!!!!!
CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch »

chupanebre wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:11 pm Just wanted to chime in. Got the Oxi One a couple days ago and I am having a blast. Cheers to this amazing sequencer. I'll be in the Oxi forum for sure!!! :sb: :goo: :yay: Looking forward to the development of this amazing little beast!!!!!
Thanks for the support. We'll release a HUGE update soon. Huge means close to 150+ new features and/or fixes.
thisoldmike
Common Wiggler

Post by thisoldmike »

CarlosUnch wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:19 pm
Thanks for the support. We'll release a HUGE update soon. Huge means close to 150+ new features and/or fixes.
So far I've been enjoying the hell out of the Oxi One, really looking forward to this!
bmot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bmot »

CarlosUnch wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:19 pm
chupanebre wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:11 pm Just wanted to chime in. Got the Oxi One a couple days ago and I am having a blast. Cheers to this amazing sequencer. I'll be in the Oxi forum for sure!!! :sb: :goo: :yay: Looking forward to the development of this amazing little beast!!!!!
Thanks for confirming Carlos.

As well as being an amazing sequencer, so much fun to play, it's backed up with the best support team i've talked to, anywhere. I appreciate how the Oxi Team listens to questions and feedback, really discussing them with customers and being so respectful to every idea. So this is just to show my appreciation for all that extra effort you put in to connect with your customers, it's definitely worth it.
CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch »

bmot wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:19 pm Thanks for confirming Carlos.

As well as being an amazing sequencer, so much fun to play, it's backed up with the best support team i've talked to, anywhere. I appreciate how the Oxi Team listens to questions and feedback, really discussing them with customers and being so respectful to every idea. So this is just to show my appreciation for all that extra effort you put in to connect with your customers, it's definitely worth it.

That's too nice of you :)
See, we are no different from our customers, we basically want to make OXI the best sequencer for us to use too.
behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy »

i have a bud that has been gushing about his. i had only watched part of Loopop's video, went back and watched the whole thing, watched Oxi's (which is a funny name to me, in the US that would be short for Oxicoton, the Hillbilly Heroin. makes sense if The One is as addictive to use as it looks?) walkthrough vidjas and orrrrrdered.

super excited.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy
sovietpop1
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sovietpop1 »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:28 pm hmmm - that'd be great if there were a view where you could see the values of the mod lanes laid out on the screen? Am I missing this? the only way you can see the individual values is by pressing on a step, but wouldn't you want to see the values laid out on the screen similar to note values?

You can try the latest beta if you wanna help and... it will answer your question :tu: .
You have to join us on Matrix to get the latest beta (not available on the forum)
Take a look on the general forum.

Im just gonna say, the next update is HUGE.
sovietpop1
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sovietpop1 »

So after playing with the Oxi ONE for a few weeks and im also testing the new beta i really really like this sequencer. The build quality is top notch, very inspiring to use and the next firmware version will change the Oxi for the better (its just amazing imo). The OXI team is super responsive and development is fast, i mean really fast !

I also like the fact that i can use the Oxi anywhere in my studio since it use battery, really fit my workflow since my gears are everywhere.
lohacker
Ultra Wiggler

Post by lohacker »

Since I've got it a week ago I've used it exclusively as grid emulation with Norns and can say it's great for this! Hope to find more time to dig in the sequencer part :tu:
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

sovietpop1 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:06 pm

You can try the latest beta if you wanna help and... it will answer your question :tu: .
You have to join us on Matrix to get the latest beta (not available on the forum)

oh - i'll have to look. thanks. haven't been sequencing at all recently, but this is an incentive.
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:32 pm
sovietpop1 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:06 pm

oh - i'll have to look. thanks. haven't been sequencing at all recently, but this is an incentive.
it looks like the latest beta on the forum is the one with stochastic mode, which i have. but you seem to be referring to something else. What is 'Matrix'?

Edit - ok. finally found. Was able to install one of the applications after taking about 10 minutes to get all of the buses and bicycles chosen. Thanks for making it so fucking hard! And now that i can log in, i see no evidence of an actual discussion with a beta.

Sorry - i have very little tolerance for this kind of thing. I've wasted enough time in my life. Can someone tell me how to get the beta?
manuwind
Common Wiggler

Post by manuwind »

The beta isn't public yet. That's why it isn't available in the forum or the website.
manuwind
Common Wiggler

Post by manuwind »

Graffie wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:12 pm Received mine yesterday and gave it a quick spin. Some first impressions after 2,5 hours of messing around:
- Like the size since there is only so much room left on my desk and makes it very portable. As already mentioned in this topic. Build quality feels solid and it has some nice weight to it. The aluminum was a great choice. The travel case is nice.
- Workflow seems to be easy enough that I was jamming around with the chord keyboard and tracks in harmonizer mode within an hour or so.
- Really really like the chord keyboard and harmonizer function. Instant gratification.
- The led animation made it a bit hard to see what was going on at times. Luckily you can turn it off.
- Like the looping function. Nice tool for programming longer sequences.
- Kind of wished the Oct parameter from the random perform generator was also available on a per-step basis. Just like the Trig parameter.
- It's great for programming drums since the grid allows you to see 8 tracks and 16 steps at a time.
- Sometimes I did got lost on what was going on. Especially when using multiple multitrack sequencers at once. But that's kind of expected when you control so many things at once from a relatively small interface like this. Assume it will improve over time when I get more used to the interface.

There seemed to be some quirks here and there. But I need to do further playing around to rule out it wasn't due to my own wrongdoings. And there is still tons of stuff left I still need to try. Overall very impressed and I already think it's a very good value proposition if you compare it to the current in the rack sequencers available.
Thansk for your feedback, very appreciated!
eldontyrellcorp
1-Post Wiggler

Post by eldontyrellcorp »

I received mine this week and had the opportunity to play with it.
Quality is outstanding, built like a tank.
After 30 minutes I was able to build my first sequences and control several synths.
However there's one feature which is not clear at all to me, it's the pattern length. We can obviously set each pattern length from 16 steps to 64 steps (or even more ?) But how it can be done, I don't know. I'd like to explain me with a step by step guide how to do it, because I really need to work with 64 steps séquences in my project.
But kudos to the team for bringing us a fantastic séquencer which is doing a lot more than just sequencing !

Stéphane
ronnieb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ronnieb »

eldontyrellcorp wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:34 am I received mine this week and had the opportunity to play with it.
Quality is outstanding, built like a tank.
After 30 minutes I was able to build my first sequences and control several synths.
However there's one feature which is not clear at all to me, it's the pattern length. We can obviously set each pattern length from 16 steps to 64 steps (or even more ?) But how it can be done, I don't know. I'd like to explain me with a step by step guide how to do it, because I really need to work with 64 steps séquences in my project.
But kudos to the team for bringing us a fantastic séquencer which is doing a lot more than just sequencing !

Stéphane
Ce n'est pas difficile, just hold the end button and press the 64 button :guinness:
You can also hold the start/end buttons to set the respective points using the grid
Bobbfett
Common Wiggler

Post by Bobbfett »

Hello, I’m really digging my recently obtained Oxi one, luv it.
Everything works perfect, except cv input, it only works when I put the patch cable halfway in. Is the cv input meant for trs cable, or is the connector faulty?
Best regards Bobb
ronnieb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ronnieb »

Bobbfett wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:54 pm Hello, I’m really digging my recently obtained Oxi one, luv it.
Everything works perfect, except cv input, it only works when I put the patch cable halfway in. Is the cv input meant for trs cable, or is the connector faulty?
Best regards Bobb
Its trs, the other input is used for clock

Return to “OXI Instruments”