OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

OXI ONE performative sequencer brought to you by
two partners: Manuel -engineer & project manager and Ales -marketing & administration.
bmot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

Post by bmot »

hawkfuzz wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:42 am It doesn't need to be polyphonic but if it is WOW.
I just heard that it is polyphonic. Prepare to be wowed!
revoltcrews
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

Post by revoltcrews »

just got my new Oxi ! Very excited to have this be the brains of my operations. Such a well built machine. All pads, knobs & buttons feel great. Just moving around the operations without any synths was a great introduction to the flow. Thanks to the Oxi crew for an amazing sequencer!
hypnoz
Common Wiggler

Post by hypnoz »

What is the most absolute brain-dead basic overview someone can point me to? I need explanations every step of the way if possible for each sequencer mode and minimal bouncing around to different modes/views without explanation. Have tried to watch a few videos on it now but get lost fast.

I have no experience with this type of device, so no base knowledge to go off of.
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz »

Loopop goes step by step with a prototype. I don't know if it can get more simplified than that...maybe the manufacturer's demos.

It took me a couple times because I'm not used to grid stuff but it's very simple.
snailed
Wiggling with Experience

Post by snailed »

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch »

I can't stress enough that the manual exists for a reason. Loopop's video is totally outdated (different hardware, pre-release fw vs 3.0.7 now..), the manual is the ONLY up to date document that contains everything OXI can do. You can jump right into each mode if you like that.

Personally, I can't imagine purchasing an expensive and deep piece of hardware and not reading the manual and expect people to make videos covering every aspect of the machine plus updates. That won't happen because OXI does too much and has many different workflows and islands, also the updates came very quickly so some of the videos out there are missing new things added or refined.

Honestly, by not reading the manual you are loosing on what OXI is truly capable of and in which ways it can help you be creative and have fun.
bmot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bmot »

Definitely agree with the above - the Loopop video is way out of date and even at the time I was underwhelmed - he doesn't do a good job of selling it.

The manual (here) was reworked for FW v3.0 and it's very comprehensive now. Some Oxi users helped out with checking and improving it, and the index is linked to each section. I haven't tried everything in the Oxi yet, there is a lot it can do and i've not found the need to use it all just yet. Even in "basic user" mode like me, it's the best sequencer i've used - and i've used a lot. I like most that it's very easy to set up cv/gate destinations, very quick to get started and playing/recording with it, and it's very deep when you want to dive into more advanced features. These include alternative sequencer modes and tons of modulation (separate modulation lanes, randomisation, LFOs)
hypnoz
Common Wiggler

Post by hypnoz »

Thanks all. I haven’t purchased it yet, I will read the manual for sure before purchasing
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

is there anything even approaching decent documentation (can be video) of the new matriceal mode).

i guess i will figure it out eventually, but this is some of the worst documentation i've ever encountered. and nothing on youtube really makes it any clearer. yeah - i trust that it's great, but do i need some kind of surgery to understand this?
bmot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bmot »

yes there is, but i'd also recommend referring to the 3.0 version of the manual alongside the video. It definitely makes sense (and even I could figure it out):

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

lol. saw that video. have the manual printed out. sorry. i guess i'm too dumb for this sequencer. slowly messing with it live, trying to figure it out. I see that i'm not the only one who has struggled with this.

i didn't post this after doing NO homework at all. I posted it after struggling with this for a bit.

i can see that it's really cool.
bmot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bmot »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:15 pm lol. saw that video. have the manual printed out. sorry. i guess i'm too dumb for this sequencer. slowly messing with it live, trying to figure it out. I see that i'm not the only one who has struggled with this.

i didn't post this after doing NO homework at all. I posted it after struggling with this for a bit.

I’m about to go to sleep but I’ll give you a write up tomorrow and try to get you sorted. It’s a novel (to me) way of sequencing and I really like it. I agree it seems confusing at first sight, and I didn’t try it right away because of that. But once you understand it, it’s very quick to make interesting patterns
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

bmot wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:40 pm
Nelson Baboon wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:15 pm lol. saw that video. have the manual printed out. sorry. i guess i'm too dumb for this sequencer. slowly messing with it live, trying to figure it out. I see that i'm not the only one who has struggled with this.

I’m about to go to sleep but I’ll give you a write up tomorrow and try to get you sorted. It’s a novel (to me) way of sequencing and I really like it. I agree it seems confusing at first sight, and I didn’t try it right away because of that. But once you understand it, it’s very quick to make interesting patterns
i'm making great progress. best source i've found thus far is the post in their forum (referenced earlier here). gradually figuring it out. each incremental step in understanding really helps understand the whole structure. I mean, this is fucking GREAT! but i am disappointed in the effort put into the manual. i'm sure that the manual will make more sense once i figure this all out, it's kind of supposed to work in the opposite direction.

EDIT - i should mention that the oxi isn't the only sequencer that has needed better docs. The t-1 (i love the t-1) has until just this latest firmware update, had a pretty incomprehensible manual. Now, with the new version, the manual has ballooned to over 200 pages. both of these are very complex tools. it can be difficult (meaning very time consuming) to figure out what is actually pretty basic functionality. the more i'm figuring out here with the matriceal mode, is that it's actually not that difficult. it's kind of a restructuring of the same options available in the other modes. and the fact that this one post in their forum explains it so simply is an indication of the fact that the manual can do much better.

but hell - i bailed on the oxi for some time, and i'm so impressed by all of the new features. i will be using the matriceal mode quite a bit, which i can see the more that i mess with it, which is why i'm so fixated with it right now.
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

ok. now that i've (i think mostly) figured out the logic in the matriceal mode (hah - really made my day)...just want to confirm. There is no facility in this mode for setting up modulations, midi cc, etc? in other words, for those features, you need to use other sequences?

i know that i sounded very negative before, and i am about the docs....but this damn thing is DEEP. and I must say that it's wonderful to see the way that sequencer technology is progressing now. This and the hapax make a wonderful combination. The hapax (at least in ways that i like to sequence) excels at very different kinds of features. for example, the ability in the hapax to record dense sequences for several minutes, and then use copy and paste and use the elasticity feature, each of those tracks with different fx - goddamn.

and as i mentioned earlier - i am very much a lover of the t-1.

not there yet, but i'm imagining getting some complex stuff going on the oxi, then recording it to the hapax and using elasticity on it. holy shit.

edit - to answer my own question. yeah. damn. obviously, you can still go into the mod section and set this shit up. long weekend. so much to learn here. what an amazing instrument.
bmot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bmot »

good to hear you're figuring it out!

I think it's one of those features that is just very hard to explain. Whatever angle you come at it, there's a learning curve which needs to be overcome before you can get it
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

bmot wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:42 am good to hear you're figuring it out!

I think it's one of those features that is just very hard to explain. Whatever angle you come at it, there's a learning curve which needs to be overcome before you can get it
i disagree. i think that with a few diagrams, and some thought, it could be explained pretty simply. but easy to say :)
bmot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bmot »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:17 am i disagree. i think that with a few diagrams, and some thought, it could be explained pretty simply. but easy to say :)
once you think you've nailed it, i'm sure Oxi would appreciate either a clear explanation on video, or a suggestion for the manual - they've used help from the Oxi user base for the manual before.
stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum »

Here's a good video of the Matriceal mode. This is a really fresh and unexpected mode that I think I will use. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it will be intuitive.

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:22 pm
not there yet, but i'm imagining getting some complex stuff going on the oxi, then recording it to the hapax and using elasticity on it. holy shit.
OXI has "elasticity" too (I think). Pressing SHIFT + MUTE twice you have time bend. It's a % of the global tempo.
Pressing SHIFT + MUTE once is time offset in milliseconds per sequencer, to adjust fine deviations (good for PrCh).
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

CarlosUnch wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:48 am
OXI has "elasticity" too (I think). Pressing SHIFT + MUTE twice you have time bend. It's a % of the global tempo.
Pressing SHIFT + MUTE once is time offset in milliseconds per sequencer, to adjust fine deviations (good for PrCh).
oh - i'll have to check that out. can you go as fine as .01%? can you copy a track to another and then use that feature?
CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:41 am
oh - i'll have to check that out. can you go as fine as .01%? can you copy a track to another and then use that feature?
It's 0.1% increments and it goes from -12% to +12%
Yes you can copy/paste another track and use it
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

CarlosUnch wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:11 pm
hah - i might wind up asking where to find this in the manual, but partly that's because i just keep on finding more stuff to learn about. This thing requires study, but in the good sense. everything thus far seems to be in logical locations, so it's finding it all the first time....

i have to say, somewhat apologetically, that i didn't give this enough of a chance the first time around, and damn if cool stuff hasn't been added. I realize that i was a bit stodgy in my ways, and though i have had lots of experience with lots of great sequencers over the years, this grid layout thing has kind of turned me off in the past. But now I get it - when employed well, it really enhances the efficiency of the ui. This thing is incredible. The internal modulations combined with the midi modulations combined with etc, etc - goddamn. i'm going to spend a good part of this long weekend messing with all this, and also the landscape noon, which was actually the initial motivation for me trying this again.

But yeah. fuck. thanks. I really appreciate that you take sequencing this seriously.

(what is the motivation for this rant? I just discovered that you can modulate the internal synth parameters with the cv in. LOL, that's great)
CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:27 pm
CarlosUnch wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:11 pm
hah - i might wind up asking where to find this in the manual, but partly that's because i just keep on finding more stuff to learn about. This thing requires study, but in the good sense. everything thus far seems to be in logical locations, so it's finding it all the first time....

i have to say, somewhat apologetically, that i didn't give this enough of a chance the first time around, and damn if cool stuff hasn't been added. I realize that i was a bit stodgy in my ways, and though i have had lots of experience with lots of great sequencers over the years, this grid layout thing has kind of turned me off in the past. But now I get it - when employed well, it really enhances the efficiency of the ui. This thing is incredible. The internal modulations combined with the midi modulations combined with etc, etc - goddamn. i'm going to spend a good part of this long weekend messing with all this, and also the landscape noon, which was actually the initial motivation for me trying this again.

But yeah. fuck. thanks. I really appreciate that you take sequencing this seriously.

(what is the motivation for this rant? I just discovered that you can modulate the internal synth parameters with the cv in. LOL, that's great)
I know you had some grips in the past with it, I'm glad it ticked for you later than never. The weirdness of the UI combos is rewarded with immediacy even for the most obscure features. One is not a slouch ;)
Have fun!
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz »

I can get stuck on “why?” sometimes.

I couldn’t understand the idea of the UI because I’ve never used a grid. I loved it when I accepted it is what it is and it’s a lot!

I was being stubborn with the new Matriceal mode and navigating it myself and got almost all of it to click and then read the manual and it immediately relieved my stress.

I’ve had it for a bit and keep getting excited how quickly I’m adapting.
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

hawkfuzz wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:13 pm I can get stuck on “why?” sometimes.

I couldn’t understand the idea of the UI because I’ve never used a grid. I loved it when I accepted it is what it is and it’s a lot!

I was being stubborn with the new Matriceal mode and navigating it myself and got almost all of it to click and then read the manual and it immediately relieved my stress.

I’ve had it for a bit and keep getting excited how quickly I’m adapting.
i think that one of the reasons that i initially rebelled against the ui of the one (hell, because there are other instruments with that name, i tend to refer to it as the 'oxi') is pretty much the same reason that i am coming to love it. I spent so much time with some of the amazing sequencers of the past, which used the knob per step paradigm. This is a very easy starting point for a sequencer ui.

But i'm coming to realize that for keeping a reasonably small size, and adding modern features (for example the matriceal mode, or the amazing mod routings of the oxi), that matrix starting point seems like a necessary evolution.

interesting that long experience with older sequencers both gives one an appreciation for powerful modulation options, but then also infuses a certain 'stodgy' outlook.

yeah. one of those words that I swore i'd never use, but 'diggin' it.

Return to “OXI Instruments”