E-RM Polygogo

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, Kent, Joe., luketeaford

dangayle
Common Wiggler

Re: E-RM Polygogo

Post by dangayle »

Does anyone have any suggestions on really modern, feature rich filters to use with this? I'm using the Qu-bit Prism, which I love, but I'm also curious about "true stereo" filters. As it is, neither the Polygogo nor the Prism are truly stereo anything, just dual mono with phase issues.
mush
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mush »

Well, i got a Polygogo the other day as I've always wanted to try one out. From watching videos I thought I might make a drone voice around it in a rather big system. Anyway, it arrived the other day and a threw together a few modules that were lying around in a skiff with it to play around with it in the livingroom. I didn't get that much out of droning with it to be sincere, so I brought along my analogfour to sequence more melodic stuff - and wow. It does the higher pitch FM stuff really well - the nice pure sines breaking into noise that I have a weak spot for.

(Bass and beat, delay and reverb from the analogfour)
In for weird music, nice pictures and retro videos? Follow me at Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cphmush/
felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer »

i am going to buy a polygogo as soon as i have some money. despite petty arguments over the 'stereo' sound. to me that is not important. key is the wide range of sounds it can make and that it is hands-on: no menu diving (which i hate). i could do wihout the display and have a slihgtly smaller module but it wouldn't make much of a differance since most space is taken up by the faders ... rotary knobs would make a much greater differance.
i am sold on the sound. would make a nice augmentation to my analog drone ... in a way it's a bit like the loquelic iteritas in that it has a wide range and can get quite noisy. in a good way!
ps the after later audio popple is a nice stereo filter. based on the mi ripples 8-)
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)
felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer »

my pologogo is coming. i'm going to use it in mono, thru a dimensionD and some echo, due to a lack of inputs on my mixer ...
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff »

The Polygogo is “weird gear”, but I love it. It’s a fun to play module, and the geometric angle really pushes my buttons. I will say that, timbrally-speaking, there’s a real learning curve, because the interactions between the parameters are just so unique. I’m still on that learning curve. I also need to put more time and effort into filtering the output rather than overrelying on the parametric model.
felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer »

It DOES have tuning lock! Push all three buttons together and the pitch is locked.
[/quote]
great tip, THANKS!
felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer »

my polyggogo arrived. the display is a complete disappointment. as soon as you start modulating with lfo's it becomes just a swirling mess of lines that says nothing. but the sound is good. although i wonder if eg he synthesis tech 330 wouldn't have done the job too, in my case ... adding colour to an analog drone. it's output is pretty hot. and there is no volume control ... prob too pedastrian. :hmm: the fm is nice though ...
Airell
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Airell »

mdoudoroff wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:09 pm Cool! I guess no manual is available, yet?
Something is better than nothing: https://oracle48.nl/Polygogo/E-RM - Pol ... v1.0.2.pdf

I tried to keep the Polygogo manual short, but still has enough explanation in it for people looking for more information if they don't have a Polygogo (yet) or just when you want to know if there is anything you don't know (like frequency locking, but it isn't persisted between power cycles).

If someone has any nice things to add, finds something that is not correct, etc... let me know!

Cheers, Airell

Ps. CV ranges are 'measured' on my unit only with a Disting MK4 which can output offsets from -10v to +10v and 'min/max' changes of the parameters are done by ear (and eye, because you can with a Polygogo ;) )

Edit: manual v.1.0'.2', fixed typo's, grammar, slight change of text and 'matching minty colour headers'.
Last edited by Airell on Sat May 14, 2022 1:52 am, edited 6 times in total.
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff »

Nicely done, Airell!
Airell
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Airell »

Photosinferno wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:22 pm Hey,
Anybody got together a ‘Cheat sheet’ for the buttons/combinations ?
-or maybe they decided to release a manual- but haven’t told anyone😆
I did, see two posts above.

Cheers, Airell
Airell
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Airell »

Devilwidget wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:27 am sorry if this has been answered upstream - but can someone explain what the OP ratio button does? One press quantises the ratio of the FM operator, but what does a second press (lightly flashing led) do?
Off is being smooth, no quantization, free-form sliding.
On it is being quantized at fixed ratio's of the fundamental, so it sounds always in tune (nice octave shift effect).
Blinking is like a combination of off and on, it has 'hotspots' where there is a larger 'area' in the slider's positions where it's actually a 'in tune' ratio of the fundamental.

Hope this explains it a bit... :D
Stice
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Stice »

The more I play with Polygogo, the more I like it. It might offer the broadest range of timbres of any module I’ve used, including wavetable oscillators. And it’s a joy to use as well, it really is more like ‘playing’ than ‘using’.

I don’t currently have a wavefolder, I’m curious if anyone runs theirs through an external folder instead of the internal Fold?
Turn on. Plug in. Slew down.
Airell
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Airell »

Airell wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:52 am Something is better than nothing: E-RM - Polygogo - Manual - v1.0.2.pdf
Edit: manual v.1.0.2, fixed typo's, grammar, slight change of text and 'matching minty colour headers'.
Something is better than nothing: E-RM - Polygogo - Manual - v1.0.3.pdf

Edit: manual v.1.0.3, Thanks Stice for pointing out an small buttons/sliders error in the manual.

Cheers, Airell
RHB
Common Wiggler

Post by RHB »

Thank you for this, Airell!
Airell
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Airell »

Stice wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:21 am The more I play with Polygogo, the more I like it. It might offer the broadest range of timbres of any module I’ve used, including wavetable oscillators. And it’s a joy to use as well, it really is more like ‘playing’ than ‘using’.

I don’t currently have a wavefolder, I’m curious if anyone runs theirs through an external folder instead of the internal Fold?
The folding is not like the classical folding on the Polygogo. I seems more like 'digital integer overflow' when you look at the screen. When a value goes negative, it 'jumps' to max positive (opposite), whereas classic folding will do more like an 'absolute' of the negative values (bounces back).

Looking a exactly 6:00 of Loopops video, when the wave hit's top or bottom, a new 'spike' will be created 'from the center', not at the top of bottom like a classic folder does.

Using an external folder, the result will be what kind of folder you use, serial, parallel, all kind of different approaches. The one on the Polygogo is unique to the Polygogo I guess.
Suburban Bather
still insane

Post by Suburban Bather »

I think my Acid Rain Maestro and Polygogo are going to permanently attached :bananallama:

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”