Slim studio rackmount cases for holding rack synths

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

khyber
Veteran Wiggler

Slim studio rackmount cases for holding rack synths

Post by khyber » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:52 pm

I've got a handful of fun and cheap 1U and 2U rack mount synthesizers that I'd like to throw in a rack case of some kind. I don't intend to travel with these instruments (besides the odd move here or there) but a lot of the rack cases I see when I search around have all kinds of protection and safety features (which add to the weight and dimensions of the case).

What I'm after is a rack case (maybe 8U-14U) that has removable lids/panels (front and back) and is reasonably slim enough to be placed on my work desk. Also it doesn't need to be too terribly deep as I'm going to rack synthesizers like the Proteus 2000, Kawai K1R, Yamaha TX81z, Roland JV 1080, etc.

I'm wondering what my options might be here other than to build my own case. I would prefer some kind of injection-molded plastic like what SKB offers, I think something made out of wood would end up being way too bulky for this project, but I'm open to any options as long as they can fit on my desk without too much hassle.

mmp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mmp » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:29 pm

I have bought a bunch of this vendor’s shallow racks:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Cases-Racks-Ba ... sic&_sac=1

Very reasonable prices in my opinion. A pair of the 6 space ones might do it.
I have a couple of the 8” deep ones. Have two happy endings kits with modular in the front and a Behringer x-air mixer on the back rails. Very compact.

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:02 pm

I bought 2 8 inch deep cases from the vendor mmp linked to. (The same cases are available from other vendors too.) They easily fit on the back part of a desk...

khyber
Veteran Wiggler

Post by khyber » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:38 pm

Oooh these are really nice and look like the right kind of thing. Do both sides come off or just the front of the rack?

mmp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mmp » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:06 pm

Both sides have covers and rails.

globalwm
Common Wiggler

Post by globalwm » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:46 pm

soup wrote:I bought 2 8 inch deep cases from the vendor mmp linked to. (The same cases are available from other vendors too.) They easily fit on the back part of a desk..
Wow - didn't know these come in 8" depth which totally opens up some (eurorack with 6u) options - though most 1u/2u rack synths may be deeper than this. Nice cases though. The build quality seems to be a good fit (non-touring) which should hold up well under your circumstances.

khyber
Veteran Wiggler

Post by khyber » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:14 pm

The manufacturer makes some options with a 12" or 16" depth too, I think the 12" depth would be perfect for my rackmount gear (the only thing that might have trouble fitting is my Matrix 1000 but I can live with that. Might even use one to hold the companion "mixer block" of my set up

/\/\/\/\/\/
Common Wiggler

Post by /\/\/\/\/\/ » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:11 am

They do indeed look good. Might look into those myself.
Related rack synth issue: a gripe of mine sometimes is peering at tiny rack synth displays, fine if you're head on, but often times they're lower than eye level due to being racked up. And working on the floor, not so easy. And if the backlight's gone.... I keep thinking some sort of angled rack would be a good solution. Can anyone recommend any angled cases/ stands they've used?

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:30 am

If you don't plan to travel then you could just get an angled rack stand?
I got a cheap Stagg stand that works fine and came with bolts and plastic washers.

ZLAL
Common Wiggler

Post by ZLAL » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:18 pm

If your rack equipment is going to be inaccessible from the rear I cannot recommend casters highly enough. If I had to slide that thing in and out when I rewired my patch bay my studio would probably still be disassembled.
Predation | Remote Neural Monitor | Behavior | Chamberlayne Industrial Center

BenA718
Ultra Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:31 am

soup wrote:I bought 2 8 inch deep cases from the vendor mmp linked to. (The same cases are available from other vendors too.) They easily fit on the back part of a desk...

Wow, great look and great price!

BenA718
Ultra Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:40 am

FYI, I have my JV1080 in a 2U case that’s 14” deep and it fits perfectly.

khyber
Veteran Wiggler

Post by khyber » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:50 pm

ZLAL wrote:If your rack equipment is going to be inaccessible from the rear I cannot recommend casters highly enough. If I had to slide that thing in and out when I rewired my patch bay my studio would probably still be disassembled.
This is one reason I plan to have everything running into patchbays. I plan to have 3 cases which will all need to patch between each rack, hoping I can design a cable snake to make this task a lot more straightforward if and when I need to move things around in the studio.

Return to “General Gear”