Chirper!

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Re: Chirper!

Post by BugBrand »

lud wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:59 am Nice bit of miniaturisation there! Is the filter out the main out so to speak?
Yup
northerntao wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:18 pm Cool, will it have the clocking output on the back for connecting to DDSR?
Yes, I've been putting more headers on designs lately -- only thing with the whole clockbuss thing is that there are some slight variances that have gradually become apparent. eg. the DDSR requires a signal going over c.+7.5V - so maybe I'll put in a 0 to +10V sqr out for such instances.
I was thinking anyways of a basic shift-register in the expander ;)
/\/\/\/ wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:35 am The circuit-naive part of me wonders why not introduce the 2130 chip into the Chirper?
I'd been thinking of the 2131 (the smaller sibling of the 2130) but then it just opens up a lot more thoughts/options & I decided best to stick to the core idea of a single 2164 Quad VCA design (2 vco + 1 VCF - the vcf takes two vca sections). Yes, I have had doubts about again doing the basic approach VCOs but there's little scope to add the temp & high-freq while still maintianing the single 2164 approach.
T. Jervell wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:19 am This looks great Tom!! I guess I’ve said this a zillion times before, but I do ❤️ both the red and board version! I’m sure this ones gonna be great too. Have you considered a (basic) ring mod-ish feature on any of the planned «expanders»/VCA’s?
I can't quite remember now what I'd put on the only-ever-prototyped-previous-chirper-expander.. But, yeah, I'm going to try out a few things and see what I can realistically fit on a 1FW expander.
[I looked up the old one - had 'Difference' as a summation of the two oscs.. Plus I was trying S&Hs where one vco samples the other - I think that'd be a nifty function]
northerntao
Wiggling with Experience

Post by northerntao »

BugBrand wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:43 am
northerntao wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:18 pm Cool, will it have the clocking output on the back for connecting to DDSR?
Yes, I've been putting more headers on designs lately -- only thing with the whole clockbuss thing is that there are some slight variances that have gradually become apparent. eg. the DDSR requires a signal going over c.+7.5V - so maybe I'll put in a 0 to +10V sqr out for such instances.
I was thinking anyways of a basic shift-register in the expander ;)
Yes please!!
BugBrand wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:43 am I can't quite remember now what I'd put on the only-ever-prototyped-previous-chirper-expander.. But, yeah, I'm going to try out a few things and see what I can realistically fit on a 1FW expander.
[I looked up the old one - had 'Difference' as a summation of the two oscs.. Plus I was trying S&Hs where one vco samples the other - I think that'd be a nifty function]
I'm a little heavy on sound sources in my Bug frames now, but this is sounding irresistible. I do have a bit of free space, but was saving it for possible freq shifter and a sequencer. Sigh, such problems. :D
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug »

I like the expander ideas, S&Hs, simple shift register, etc. CV for resonance would be very welcome. How about a CV used as a comparator threshold affecting the sync inputs?

LISTEN Third test of generative sounds for Halloween 2021 (much Chirping) :nana:
:nana:
hollunderkurve
Common Wiggler

Post by hollunderkurve »

very excited by this design! also love the new variation idea of the s&h and a possible shift register in the expander. definitely in for one... :cloud:
T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell »

Ah this all sounds very promising Tom! Looking forward to see how it ends up🤩
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand »

BananaPlug wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:59 pm I like the expander ideas, S&Hs, simple shift register, etc. CV for resonance would be very welcome. How about a CV used as a comparator threshold affecting the sync inputs?

LISTEN Third test of generative sounds for Halloween 2021 (much Chirping) :nana:
VC-resonance is not possible in this implementation & adjustment of the comparator threshold would equally be a step too far, unfortunately.
dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears »

i wanna hear more about the Drive VCA!
http://xexify.bandcamp.com
Nelson Baboon wrote: What do you mean by 'really is'? You mean, what do I look like? Just look in a fucking National Geographic.
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug »

BugBrand wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:53 am ...would equally be a step too far, unfortunately.
Okay, can't have everything, but still...
New features from 3fw Blue Chirper
New features from 1fw expander (still in development)
The full combo is 1fw smaller than the original, making room for Drive VCA (details too be determined)
Very nice!
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand »

dogoftears wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:00 am i wanna hear more about the Drive VCA!
Basically a single VCA that combines the features on either side of the Dual Amp -> switchable blend from saturated to folded & shape blend from exp to lin.
It is done, I'm just slow actually producing it ;0
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand »

Just been alerted to a little used Chirper on Ebay UK if you go ahunting ;)
northerntao
Wiggling with Experience

Post by northerntao »

BugBrand wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:53 am Just been alerted to a little used Chirper on Ebay UK if you go ahunting ;)
There’s also one on Reverb, in Paris, that was listed like a week ago. Still for sale.
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand »

northerntao wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:12 pm There’s also one on Reverb, in Paris, that was listed like a week ago. Still for sale.
Yes, still for sale because the price is a fucking outrage.
northerntao
Wiggling with Experience

Post by northerntao »

BugBrand wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:49 pm
northerntao wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:12 pm There’s also one on Reverb, in Paris, that was listed like a week ago. Still for sale.
Yes, still for sale because the price is a fucking outrage.
Ya, they still come up from time to time, for much less than that. It’s not like it’s unobtainum. And with your announcement of the potential blue version, it seems even more unreasonable.
hollunderkurve
Common Wiggler

Post by hollunderkurve »

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand »

Progressing - unlikely to move fast for now due to other bits.. but good start, working well. It is certainly a fair bit tighter spacing than the original, but not overly cramped, I don't think.
Playing it with a DDSR (in a very basic manner - clocking & taking D-to-A outs) definitely suggests that something along those lines is needed for any expander.

T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell »

😍 I seldom check my Twitter feed these days, but today I had to check this one!!! Looks and sounds amazing. Looking forward for the release of these at some point.
Great work Tom!!👏🏻
chrisdermo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo »

Yow! Great stuff
WTB / WTTF: Bugbrand PRC2B, ENV1

Current Bugs frame:
https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/1340165
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug »

It's nice to see it in in the flesh. I think I'll miss the filter HP/LP blend knob. The 3fw has a new 'Out' toggle switch selecting 'BP/HP' (Both? maybe there's a jumper for deciding which) or 'LP'. Will separate filter outputs be available in some other way? Maybe on an expander or behind the panel?
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand »

Yes, the BP/HP is a rear-set jumper - like on the old DRM1.
I'm starting to look at the expander but dunno whether I'd bring out the extra filter response(s) - will see once I get some ideas going.

What is sure is that playing this new one with shift-reg from the DDSR gives a lot of interest - typically just clock & data, no recirc - loads to explore!
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug »

BugBrand wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:00 amWhat is sure is that playing this new one with shift-reg from the DDSR gives a lot of interest
A wining combo for sure. DDSR patterns go well with even the wildest Chirper sounds.
northerntao
Wiggling with Experience

Post by northerntao »

Compact and sexy - this could be the focus of a small case for performance or travel, maybe with the DDSR and LPG or 2.
Voltage_Controller
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voltage_Controller »

yes! I am in for one of these.
“The only truth is music.” ― Kerouac
hollunderkurve
Common Wiggler

Post by hollunderkurve »

looks & sounds awesome :cloud:
deltaAquarii
Common Wiggler

Post by deltaAquarii »

Oh! Very interesting. Is this version tracking the v oct better, or same?
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand »

deltaAquarii wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:00 am Oh! Very interesting. Is this version tracking the v oct better, or same?
It is the same fairly basic implementation - no hi-freq tracking for example.
I ripped up the original layout because I noticed there was excess interaction between the oscs, presumably due to insufficient or inefficient 0V routes.
Nearing completion of the new layout which also builds in thoughts for the expander connection.

Return to “BugBrand Devices”