Cheap Case for Doepfer DIY -Kit

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

fmshred
Learning to Wiggle

Cheap Case for Doepfer DIY -Kit

Post by fmshred » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:13 am

Hi,

I own the Doepfer DIY Kit. I build my own Wood case for it but i´m not stisfied with it as I build it not in a really proper way.

So I´m looking for inexpensive Cases to fit my DIY Kit into. Any suggestions ?

Cheers
Fabio

ElTonerino
Common Wiggler

Post by ElTonerino » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:27 pm

I bought 6?mm ply from my local hardware supplier. £2.60 and cut to size.

euromorcego
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by euromorcego » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:46 pm

there are some aluminium toolcases available that fit 84hp.

for example this one (the largest):
https://www.bauhaus.info/werkzeugkoffer ... p/11143100

you may need some piece of wood left and right to hold the rails. The lid cannot be removed (but it is possible to do this also, but it is a bit more evolved). I would also recommend to get an additional piece (thin, 3mm or so) to mount the busboards and the power supply. And then fix the whole thing into the case using some velcro (at leat this is what i do).

fmshred
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fmshred » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:14 pm

euromorcego wrote:there are some aluminium toolcases available that fit 84hp.

for example this one (the largest):
https://www.bauhaus.info/werkzeugkoffer ... p/11143100

you may need some piece of wood left and right to hold the rails. The lid cannot be removed (but it is possible to do this also, but it is a bit more evolved). I would also recommend to get an additional piece (thin, 3mm or so) to mount the busboards and the power supply. And then fix the whole thing into the case using some velcro (at leat this is what i do).
That sounds really good, thanks! Do you have pictures of your case?

euromorcego
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by euromorcego » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:45 pm

fmshred wrote: That sounds really good, thanks! Do you have pictures of your case?
yes, i have. These are two different ones. One with 7U incl a 1u row for tiles, the other empty with some wooden sidebrackets (and space for a 1u diy row that never happened). Both had the lids removed (which is not necessary if you use the case flat on a table).

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:19 pm

Also check out the 19" rack suitcases from Thon. You can get them at Thomann. With some rack ears from Schneidersladen you can build a case for about 120€.

fmshred
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fmshred » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:43 am

Thanks! That looks amazing. Basically I just need this toolcase and some wood panels to drill the rails in. The circuit boards can be drilled through the back of the case?

Jay F.
Common Wiggler

Post by Jay F. » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:24 am

+1 with R.U. Nuts, those 19" Thon Table Top Rack are impressively inexpensive.

@euromorcego: :eek: I just noticed I have one of these aluminium tool case at the right dimension. Thanks for the head up.
"We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse."
https://growyoursynth.blogspot.be/

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:59 am

I recently got this one for my Snazzy FX system:

55€
https://www.prolighting.de/zubehoer/cas ... er-24.html

The lid can be removed and it's at a nice angle for a tabletop case. The inside depth at the bottom row is still a little over 5 cm, so most modules will fit there. If not, you can put them in the top row.

At the back there is a little compartment for cables or other stuff (it comes built in, but can be removed) and also a flap for cables to go out of the case. I put a power extension in there for now, to power the SQ-1 and some USB lights.

Inside I put a DIY kit from Error Instruments with Meanwell power and two bus boards, so no external power brick needed :)

Just another rookie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Just another rookie » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:20 am

euromorcego wrote:
fmshred wrote: That sounds really good, thanks! Do you have pictures of your case?
yes, i have. These are two different ones. One with 7U incl a 1u row for tiles, the other empty with some wooden sidebrackets (and space for a 1u diy row that never happened). Both had the lids removed (which is not necessary if you use the case flat on a table).

Perfect, I am exactly at the stage of needing a case.....and I'm seriously considering the doepfer DIY kit!

Please can you tell me,
What are the internal dimensions of this case?
Thanks.

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:35 am

Those toolboxes have the perfect width for 19" rails. You can even mount the rails directly to the sides of the box without an additional frame. The hardest thing is to replace the hinges for the lid with some hinges that allow you to remove the lid.
However these boxes are not the best build quality. They're certainly ok for a case but after using such a box for a while I went for a 10U 19" Thon case. They're super sturdy and you can get them in various sizes.
Thon even builds you custom sizes on request. This could be worth a try since the lids are a bit shallow and depending on the height of your cables' jacks you might not be able to close the lid patched. It works with Doepfer cables though.

L4nd3R
Common Wiggler

Post by L4nd3R » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:48 am

I also started with a Doepfer DIY kit and a 16EUR toolbox (almost perfect dimensions).

Modular got me into DIY and this was my first ever project in this domain (as visible by the quality of 'craftmanship'). Nevertheless I'm very happy how it turned out and how it lowered my barrier of entry.

It's now being regularly filled with DIY kits.

ImageImage

Hope my example helps :)

euromorcego
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by euromorcego » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:29 am

fmshred wrote:Thanks! That looks amazing. Basically I just need this toolcase and some wood panels to drill the rails in. The circuit boards can be drilled through the back of the case?
as others have said (and there are a few more examples now in the thread): yes, all you need are some wooden panels to hold the rails (and fit the size).

Additionally, i would recommend to get some thin plywood, slightly smaller than the (inside of the) back of the case to mount the busboards and the power supply and then put it on the bottom of the case. I use a small dc cable to connect the power supply to an external jack.

Proper 19'' mixer cases are indeed a lot more sturdy and also not that expensive. But they are also a lot heavier. It you want to carry it around a lot, a 19'' case is probably the better option.

Gotovo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Gotovo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:44 am

L4nd3R wrote:I also started with a Doepfer DIY kit and a 16EUR toolbox (almost perfect dimensions).

Modular got me into DIY and this was my first ever project in this domain (as visible by the quality of 'craftmanship'). Nevertheless I'm very happy how it turned out and how it lowered my barrier of entry.

ImageImage

This is very sweet! and you could build a little box that goes in that hole to keep cables and such :)

What kind of psu is that? looks good. and linear :mrgreen:

L4nd3R
Common Wiggler

Post by L4nd3R » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:22 am

Gotovo wrote:This is very sweet! and you could build a little box that goes in that hole to keep cables and such :)

What kind of psu is that? looks good. and linear :mrgreen:
The PSU is part of the Doepfer DIY Kit, and I'm still thinking of a good use for the space in the lid.

Jay F.
Common Wiggler

Post by Jay F. » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:56 pm

Hello,

thanks to the examples of euromorcego and L4nd3R, I made one tool case synth as well. Thanks guys !

Full story here : https://growyoursynth.blogspot.com/2018 ... -case.html

Last edited by Jay F. on Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse."
https://growyoursynth.blogspot.be/

Dragonaut
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:24 pm

flx wrote:I recently got this one for my Snazzy FX system:

55€)
This is pretty sick and the price is certainly right! That thing looks like a tank. Usually this type of thing is a 19" rack, right? I need one in 104hp and sized for carry on!

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:00 am

Dragonaut wrote:
This is pretty sick and the price is certainly right! That thing looks like a tank. Usually this type of thing is a 19" rack, right? I need one in 104hp and sized for carry on!
Yes, it's 19" only.

S0210
Common Wiggler

Post by S0210 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:36 am

L4nd3R wrote:I also started with a Doepfer DIY kit and a 16EUR toolbox (almost perfect dimensions).

[...]

Hi,

I know it's an old thread but I'd love to know how the case worked for you. You didn't replace the hinges for take-apart-hinges, did you? Was it convenient to play with the lid always attached?

Is the bus board simply glued to the box?

Regards, András

S0210
Common Wiggler

Post by S0210 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:01 am

Ah... Doepfer A-100 comes in a nice cardboard box. It,s almost a 84HP 6U case. I whish it had the pre-printed cut and drill signs....
Would be so obvious. :sadbanana:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”