LPZW.modules SCHLEUßIG Module

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:06 pm

I sketched the panel .. one is like the prototype but only 10HP, one in the often demanded top bottom configuration. Last one is 12 HP like the prototype
(Top/Bottom could also be reverse mounted)

ImageImageImage

Obviously the graphics will be added later .. in style of our other modules, grey wth RGB print.

I am still convinced that this is a module where you actually want a comfy sized panel. I've used the prototype now for a while in my setup and 12HP feels good, but I know size is an important thing for most people.. sometimes more than price.
I would also like two of them in my 6U/84HP drum setup so size reduction might be a necessity even here.

One feature that I will add for sure is the ability to link them so you can actually hold "group" on one module and select on all linked modules.

Also there might be a 8 channel 2HP velocity CV expander for those who want to use the build in midi converter.

aroom
Ultra Wiggler

Post by aroom » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:28 pm

This is my proposal :

Buttons on the bottom and patch inputs and outputs in the same arrangement than the buttons for clarity. :party:

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:35 pm

aroom wrote: Buttons on the bottom and patch inputs and outputs in the same arrangement than the buttons for clarity. :party:
yeah, nice idea. we'd use a color coding scheme like with the WK1 to make it visible too.

From using the module I can say the Group and Sync buttons should be definitely below the mutes for one hand use

aroom
Ultra Wiggler

Post by aroom » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:45 pm

kay_k wrote:From using the module I can say the Group and Sync buttons should be definitely below the mutes for one hand use
makes sense

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:48 pm

You are a module designer Jean-Etienne .. you should pitch me more ideas LOL :yay:

uebl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by uebl » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:07 pm

From an aesthetic point of view, I like the 10hp version of your original design most; obviously I can‘t say anything about it‘s usability.

Edit: Actually, I now believe *aroom*'s 10hp proposal is the one :yay:

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:44 pm

pretty much done with the layout..
this is actually like a whole new PCB so I started almost from 0. That's why it took longer.
All the components you see up in the upper half where previously just two logic ICs now a bunch of opamps and transistors.
What it means is: you can mute everything now. Gates, Triggers, Audio & CV (although I think not pitch CV)
Also (and I hope that works as planned) there are two connectors that will have functions immediately and one expansion header that might get future uses (multiple possible).
Link: connect two or more schleußig, so you have to press "Group" only on one of them.
Alt-Input: connect a 2HP expander with 8 additional inputs. so instead of muting the channel you can A/B switch.
Expand: we'll see what I cook up for that one. One thing will probably be a 2HP CV velocity out for the internal MIDI converter

Sorry that it took longer but I have so much on my plate.
The layout is about that which Aroom suggested (left side is the GUI part of the PCB sandwich)

aroom
Ultra Wiggler

Post by aroom » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:50 pm

Wow! this looks awesome :omg:

uniquepersonno2
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:27 pm

This is looking great!
It's done!
Or is it? Well, maybe I need some more modules after all...

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:19 am

thanks guys!

Probably weird but I just love the look of PCBs in CAD software. Maybe I'll make this a poster for myself.

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:19 pm

So, with a 95% chance the final panel layout:

The second prototype PCB also arrived:

uebl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by uebl » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:33 am

:yay: :yay:

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:03 am

:sb:
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:42 am

I've assembled almost all except the jacks because I am still waiting on the panel (important to mate the jacks with the panel first before soldering them).

Because of that I only checked one channel and the muting works as expected. The slew rate of the muting works click less for musical content but is noticeable from time to time when muting static, loud and low frequency single waves with DC offset. Which shouldn't be a problem because it is actually a very unlikely thing to happen for this module.
I had to make a trade off here so that the actual trigger muting still works (i.e. fast enough to cut between two triggers at reasonable speed).

I hope I will not find any major mistake in the layout when I start with the software for the completely new features, but so far I am very optimistic that I am about a month from the first shipments.

I will (as always) start with a small batch of 10 pcs or so and then sell them directly before I will try to push them to shops.

ringokidf
Common Wiggler

Post by ringokidf » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:05 am

Looking forward to this :guinness:

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:19 am

Aroom on it's way to become my best unpaid employee already spotted a mistake on the panel :mrgreen: :hihi: :hyper:

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:12 pm

Im in :guinness:

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:10 pm

first youtube video with the new panel module, demonstrating the alternative input expander

[video][/video]

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:22 pm

Not gonna lie, Im thinking about doing that to some pocket operators now lol.

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:22 pm

windspirit wrote:Not gonna lie, Im thinking about doing that to some pocket operators now lol.
totally worth it :twisted:

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:34 pm

first: I am super busy with my day job and so I am much slower than anticipated with this.
but still a little update on the schleußig..

the new hardware works as hoped .. something that really surprised me.
I coded & tested almost all of the new features that came with the new prototype:
- DINSYNC input .. works (I could only test with the beat step pro but I'll ask a friend for some old roland gear). I coded it in a way where it doesn't matter if you apply a run signal or a reset pulse. so that is up to you
- Link feature - works (connect two or more schleußig so you only need to press "group" on one of them)
- Gate, audio and CV mute! Works with JFETS not VCAs. I haven't measured it but the cross talk seems quite good (i.e. signal attenuation when muted). it also is pretty much click-less.
- External alternate inputs (see video above)
- Hold mode.. this one came as suggestion from an experienced musician: when selecting channels to toggle with active "hold" and group pressed, the toggling will not appear when you release the button, but on the next release of it. So you kinda prepare the group switching first. I have to make a video of this, hard to explain really. It is great for drop ins after a break, especially since you can still manually toggle the channels and thus reverse the grouped actions toggle.

Code not yet in the module right now..

I want to add a startup menu for clock divider setting so you can use Korg/Roland DINSYNC or a 16th clock
I am waiting for the PCB of the velocity output expander (when using MIDI) so I need to code the communication between those too (easy tho)

Also for the final release there probably will be a "reset" input jack in the front. So you can use a TRS (compatible with arturia) or dual mono 3.5mm cable for DINSYNC (aka clock & reset) mode. (jack will be next to the sync jack)

I'd love to sell the first 10 modules via preorder so contact me if you want to be in the early birds round. It would also be super cool if you are able to download firmware on a atmel µC (just in case). I do not know if my bootloader will be ready until then.

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:29 pm

so .. I still have the feeling this video will not 100% clarify what I intend with the hold mode:

[video][/video]

I guess you all have to come to the superbooth and try it yourself.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:42 pm

:guinness: :guinness: :guinness:
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:31 pm

preorder of the first run starts now!

please contact me if you want to be in the first round of people that want one of 10 I am making now.
(best via my website's contact form)

Geaux
Common Wiggler

Post by Geaux » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:34 am

Not in the cards for me right now but bumping this thread for a cool idea :party:

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”