Favorite melody sequencer?

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

Eagleclaw
Common Wiggler

Favorite melody sequencer?

Post by Eagleclaw »

Whats your favorite sequencer for for coming up with melodies easiest?
vibralux
Veteran Wiggler

Post by vibralux »

Copper Traces SEEK.
MY YT CHANNEL WITH MODULES REVIEWS:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3IgU2 ... hKH8ou7YTQ

MODULARS, ABLETON, MIXING. Stop reading manuals. Start making music.
http://www.colormysound.com/
Luap
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luap »

Keen to sell something by any chance?
gonkulator
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gonkulator »

Okay, I'll bite: Now, we are talking "easiest" only, no other considerations. Not how many sequences, or how long the sequence, or gate outs, or anything else, etc. Of the sequencers I have now or have owned, for intentional melodies it's a toss up between the Stillson Hammer 2 or the Metropolis. You can visually see the melody line as well as the notes on the screen (as you play or move them.) Otherwise it is a Turing Machine or a variant. I have the recently released Mimetic Sequent, which I really like.
Racks
Solaris Site

WTB: Black panels

Unflappably nonchalant, with some exceptions
musicalfungus
Common Wiggler

Post by musicalfungus »

Hmm... tough question.

Rene is the main sequencer I use. Due to the amount of time I have spent with it. Creating melodies is rather quick and easy for me. but I could see how people may think Rene is not the easiest sequencer to work with.

The sequencer built into the Mother 32 is pretty damn amazing. I come up with stuff very fast on that sequencer. Especially with the keyboard mode. Just play a melody on the built in keys, external CV keys, or via MIDI and it repeats it back in the sequencer. Fast and easy.

Not what you asked... but my current favorite sequencer is not really easy or fast. But the Ornament and Crime has some AMAZING sequencer abilities. I just started using the SEQUINS mode and it is a dual channel 64 step sequencer. Pretty amazing. But kinda annoying programming it with just two push knobs on a LCD screen.

I use the Korg SQ-1 sometimes too... Super easy and quick to come up with little sequences on the fly.

But I have heard nothing but good things about the Copper Traces SEEK. Never used one though.
INSTAGRAM: @musicalfungus

YOUTUBE: youtube.com/musicalfungus

SOUNDCLOUD: soundcloud.com/musicalfungus
Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu »

Something from left field : the kilpatrick audio carbon. It's outside the rack, but it plays well with a eurorack setup. It is super fast to create intentional melodic sequences by just playing them in from a keyboard, and then you can mess with timing, scale etc.
ImNotDedYet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ImNotDedYet »

Stepper Acid
chysn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chysn »

Melody generation for me is a combination of Moskwa, µScale, and Pressure Points. Pressure Points can be used to CV between scales, to reverse Moskwa, and/or to offset Moskwa's voltage into µScale.
Current Rack: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/354385
Hemisphere Suite: https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-HemisphereSuite/wiki

"Man must shape his tools lest they shape him." --Arthur Miller
nullpunkt
Common Wiggler

Post by nullpunkt »

Definitely the Metropolis! Love that beast.
Visit DEFAULT MODE NETWORK on | Facebook | Soundcloud | Instagram | Vimeo | Youtube
Nielsen
Common Wiggler

Post by Nielsen »

nullpunkt wrote:Definitely the Metropolis! Love that beast.
+1

I had it for a while, sold it because I needed money, regreted it every day, bought it again and will never sell it again. ;) This thing is so hands on. Creating melodies is really easy and intuitive.

If you want random stuff: the Turing machine with a quantizer is a nice option, but it's quite limited.
Vibe010
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Vibe010 »

Maybe the new novation circuit monostation?
Bigsteak
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bigsteak »

vibralux wrote:Copper Traces SEEK.
PLEASE MAKE A VIDEO FOR SEEK!!!

I've been holding off only to see a review which goes over step by step programming (rather than 'live' step recording), which the official video doesn't really cover.
BLogic12
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BLogic12 »

Obviously to early to tell, but i have faith the flxs1 will be my favorite melodic sequencer!
norde
Common Wiggler

Post by norde »

I have Rene and it is easy enough to come to melodies especially with the built in quantiser.
But I think that - only from the videos I have seen cause I live in Greece and there is no modular scene or modular showrooms, but this is another topic,hehe - the Seek, Stepper Acid and Metropolis are ever better for melodies maybe because of the way they are programmed.
Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs »

Keyboard and a DAW.
strawberry
Common Wiggler

Post by strawberry »

Metropolis....instant fun :tu:
mayyammay
Common Wiggler

Re: Favorite melody sequencer?

Post by mayyammay »

Eagleclaw wrote:Whats your favorite sequencer for for coming up with melodies easiest?
Do you have a background in music and theory? Or do you create melodies by twiddling and listening?
papercutnoise
Ultra Wiggler

Post by papercutnoise »

Almost any cv source into a quantizer and a shift register.
Good Transactions with: Pfurmel, Parallel Worlds (x2), Miditerranean, Ping Panic (x2), Soy Sos, jenamu6, READYdot, Poladark, Synesthesia, audioCTRL, dansna, Glitchmachines, RealDudes, wavecircle, msh
Eagleclaw
Common Wiggler

Post by Eagleclaw »

Luap wrote:Keen to sell something by any chance?
1 Million for my virginity.
Last edited by Eagleclaw on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eagleclaw
Common Wiggler

Re: Favorite melody sequencer?

Post by Eagleclaw »

mayyammay wrote:
Eagleclaw wrote:Whats your favorite sequencer for for coming up with melodies easiest?
Do you have a background in music and theory? Or do you create melodies by twiddling and listening?
I have a background in music theory, and I like twiddling. Im curious if you had two good answers prepared.
ImNotDedYet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ImNotDedYet »

Eagleclaw wrote:
mayyammay wrote:
I have a background in music theory, and I like twiddling. Im curious if you had two good answers prepared.
One of the reasons I like the Stepper Acid is the fact it has a keyboard on it and I can "play it" live or record it. The same would apply for the Sequencer 1, but for a lot more. (and a lot more functionality)

Of course, you can also use a knob-based sequencer with a quantizer like the penrose where you can enter the notes in your scale via a keyboard as well.
Nick Jackson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nick Jackson »

I just got an Octone and it's super easy for getting musical sequences fast. It's got a built-in quantizer with about 6 or 7 scales. Plus the 'glide' function is pretty cool. The only setback is that it's only 8 steps, but for ambient stuff like I do it fits the bill just fine, plus it won't completely break the bank.
spacezignul
Common Wiggler

Post by spacezignul »

Korg sq-1 deserves a mention
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford »

I am more modularly oriented in that I don't think of "melody sequencer" (I only think of cicada noises :hihi: ), but I use what is appropriate for each sequence I'm trying to create.

Rene is my favorite for something that can be quantized and performed live in a lot of cool variations with touch overrides and all these tricks that you get into when you play it often.

The Mother 32 sequencer is very good for storing and editing sequences, but there's only one row (and a set of accents) it's for pitch, so you can't have individual filter cutoff values or step lengths with it. It is the best for saving and editing ideas for later, I find.

Sometimes I need nothing more than a sequential switch.
https://www.instagram.com/luketeaford
WTB (US) - 6 Make Noise Maths
TEKBRAIN
Common Wiggler

Post by TEKBRAIN »

The ones hidden in the Expert Sleeper FH-1.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”