New Erica Synths drum sequencer

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Post Reply
damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2023
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:33 am
Location: Texas

Post by damase » Sat May 12, 2018 12:44 pm

Wow this sequencer looks pretty perfect. I would love to see a more in depth look at some of the features... like dialing in the range of swing, rolls, probability increments, how to program the CV track... ect

But the interface makes me want one already. Very nicely done. Really cool and thoughtful to have midi in.

User avatar
vibralux
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 708
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:16 am
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Post by vibralux » Sun May 13, 2018 6:23 am

Just got mine. It has the best workflow from all the sequencer I own so far and I have Eloquencer, Popcorn, Knit Rider, Metropolis and few others. I would say that in terms of accesibility and user friendlyness the Knit Rider is the closest - the same buttons layout and function keys approach. Drum Sequencer is just bigger in every aspect which for me is a plus as its just easier to operate, especially during live performance - those white keys are just incredible and so nice to operate. So far I am thrilled. You can expect a review very soon.
MY YT CHANNEL WITH MODULES REVIEWS:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3IgU2 ... hKH8ou7YTQ

MODULARS, ABLETON, MIXING. Stop reading manuals. Start making music.
http://www.colormysound.com/

castano
Common Wiggler
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:36 pm

Post by castano » Mon May 21, 2018 9:50 am

Does anyone know what the new firmware update change?

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2023
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:33 am
Location: Texas

Post by damase » Sat May 26, 2018 8:58 pm

I got one of these in a couple days ago, my first Erica Synths module
I was having issues right off the bat. The tracks will not stay in sync as you change patterns. Its very frustrating. You change patterns and all of a sudden your snare is 2 steps behind and your hats are off kilter. Then to add to the frustration, its quite difficult to reset it. Sending a reset trig or midi start message will usually set things off even more... its like you have to hit start or send the reset trig at just the right time for it to work properly. These issues happen in all three clock modes; master, midi, and clock

After toying around more, i figured out that if you disable shuffle on all tracks, the pattern switching seems to stay in sync. No shuffle is also a deal killer for me.

I might have to return it to the dealer, on the fence about it. I sent a message to Erica Synths, still waiting for a reply. I hope to see this sorted out with a firmware update, because otherwise the module is everything you want it to be.

User avatar
Artaos
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:36 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Post by Artaos » Sun May 27, 2018 2:11 pm

damase wrote:I got one of these in a couple days ago, my first Erica Synths module
I was having issues right off the bat. The tracks will not stay in sync as you change patterns. Its very frustrating. You change patterns and all of a sudden your snare is 2 steps behind and your hats are off kilter. Then to add to the frustration, its quite difficult to reset it. Sending a reset trig or midi start message will usually set things off even more... its like you have to hit start or send the reset trig at just the right time for it to work properly. These issues happen in all three clock modes; master, midi, and clock

After toying around more, i figured out that if you disable shuffle on all tracks, the pattern switching seems to stay in sync. No shuffle is also a deal killer for me.

I might have to return it to the dealer, on the fence about it. I sent a message to Erica Synths, still waiting for a reply. I hope to see this sorted out with a firmware update, because otherwise the module is everything you want it to be.
Can you keep us updated? That would be helpful. I just ordered the drum sequencer and your experience has me concerned.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2023
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:33 am
Location: Texas

Post by damase » Sun May 27, 2018 7:10 pm

Artaos wrote:
damase wrote:I got one of these in a couple days ago, my first Erica Synths module
I was having issues right off the bat. The tracks will not stay in sync as you change patterns. Its very frustrating. You change patterns and all of a sudden your snare is 2 steps behind and your hats are off kilter. Then to add to the frustration, its quite difficult to reset it. Sending a reset trig or midi start message will usually set things off even more... its like you have to hit start or send the reset trig at just the right time for it to work properly. These issues happen in all three clock modes; master, midi, and clock

After toying around more, i figured out that if you disable shuffle on all tracks, the pattern switching seems to stay in sync. No shuffle is also a deal killer for me.

I might have to return it to the dealer, on the fence about it. I sent a message to Erica Synths, still waiting for a reply. I hope to see this sorted out with a firmware update, because otherwise the module is everything you want it to be.
Can you keep us updated? That would be helpful. I just ordered the drum sequencer and your experience has me concerned.
Ill definitely update once i hear back from them. Id also be very appreciative to know if yours acts the same way. i had really high hopes for this one, but as much money as it was if i dont hear back with some comforting information soon im going to return it while i still can. Pains me to have to leave this kind of a review so i hope i can call it resolved

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2023
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:33 am
Location: Texas

Post by damase » Wed May 30, 2018 10:46 am

update:
apparently my return email was bouncing back the emails from Erica Synths. They searched me out on social media though after my 2nd email which is nice of them to go the extra lengths.

We are now in the process of troubleshooting, they made it sound like it should definitely not be happening so im wondering if it is just my unit.

freerider197
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:43 am

Post by freerider197 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:11 am

Anybody known what was the latest firmware update about?
In the meantime am writing a small list of bug I found, and will send it to Erica synth.
[/quote]

User avatar
kodek
Common Wiggler
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:28 am
Contact:

Post by kodek » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:45 am

Hey!

Im sorry to hear that some of you are experiencing problems with the Drum Sequencer. We have been working really hard to make it perfect, but as almost always when the thing gets out in the wild some unexpected bugs come up.

I can personally promise that everything will be squashed out and I will look into every bug report that is being sent in personally and will make sure it will work perfectly for everyone!

I will also post here the new firmware updates. The current latest one is the 1.031.

Please feel free to suggest new functions also as we would like not only to squash out bugs, but add more fuctionality to the Drum Sequencer in future too.

Thanks to everyone for heads up!

:drums:

Cortega
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:44 am
Location: Bremen Germany

Post by Cortega » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:44 am

kodek wrote:Hey!

Im sorry to hear that some of you are experiencing problems with the Drum Sequencer. We have been working really hard to make it perfect, but as almost always when the thing gets out in the wild some unexpected bugs come up.

I can personally promise that everything will be squashed out and I will look into every bug report that is being sent in personally and will make sure it will work perfectly for everyone!

I will also post here the new firmware updates. The current latest one is the 1.031.

Please feel free to suggest new functions also as we would like not only to squash out bugs, but add more fuctionality to the Drum Sequencer in future too.

Thanks to everyone for heads up!

:drums:
Thanks for the Info

would be awesome if there was a option to put 4 or more Channels in a Gate Mode instead of Triggers, and with adjustable Gatelenght it was at least for me the Perfect Sequencer.

User avatar
DJMaytag
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1075
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:59 am
Location: Madison, Wiscompton
Contact:

Post by DJMaytag » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:08 pm

kodek wrote:Please feel free to suggest new functions also as we would like not only to squash out bugs, but add more fuctionality to the Drum Sequencer in future too.

Thanks to everyone for heads up!

:drums:
Not sure if it’s possible, but adding a “song mode” for writing out a track for when you’re in the studio would be awesome.
DJMaytag IG | DJMaytag Reverb | Madisynths IG | Madisynths Reverb |

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

User avatar
kodek
Common Wiggler
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:28 am
Contact:

Post by kodek » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:47 pm

DJMaytag wrote:
kodek wrote:Please feel free to suggest new functions also as we would like not only to squash out bugs, but add more fuctionality to the Drum Sequencer in future too.

Thanks to everyone for heads up!

:drums:
Not sure if it’s possible, but adding a “song mode” for writing out a track for when you’re in the studio would be awesome.
Track mode is already in the TO DO list. 8-)

Dunk_91
Common Wiggler
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:37 am

Post by Dunk_91 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:46 pm

Ok so I'll try to write down a little recap of bugs I've encounterd so far.

- in external clock if I stop clock sequencer still run at an arbitrary speed. Also if I slow down enough the clock the sequencer loose it and goes at random speed. This is the major bug for me, really makes difficult to use with other gear.

- midi sync also is buggy, sometimes it ignore midi start, other times it skip first step and start off beat

- in pattern play mode I can erase al trigger at once, only one per time in pattern edit ( select trig 1 -> erase, select trig 2 -> erase, select trig 3 -> erase....ecc ecc). A workaround is to copy a black pattern and copy it onto the active one to erase all trig at once.

- reset is weird, sometimes it's fine, sometimes it miss a step

Those are the ones that bothers me me most, maybe there are dee others but nothing terribile.

+1 for gate out, at least in tap mode. I use it a lot with assimil8or as a sort of modular mpc, and tapping samples in gate mode with a trigger is a bit poor lol

Except bugs this sequencer is awesome, feeling is top notch and build quality is super!

User avatar
MoogProDG
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:30 pm
Location: Limbo

Post by MoogProDG » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:34 pm

Has anyone updated successfully to V 1.031 yet? I’m hoping it will clear up the extremely buggy MIDI and clocking issues along with patterns not all synced to the clock (even internally).

I’ve tried about 30 times now to update over the last 2 days. It’s a long dump.. pun intended. The Drum Sequencer seems to be catching the dump/reacting, but afterwards it keeps loading 1.030. Buffer set to 64 bytes as specified in the manual.

I have to say I’m pretty dissatisfied overall with it as a product. If I can’t slave it to MIDI or an external clock it’s pointless to have in my rig... or just about any rig. Really wondering why it was released without having stable MIDI syncing. Sorry to sound harsh, but a $759 USD trigger sequencer that boasts MIDI sync should kind of work with MIDI.


Updated below*************
Last edited by MoogProDG on Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____
_

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency, and vibration." - Tesla
BTByrd wrote:Know what's annoying? Making all your products bright fucking yellow and bespangling them with nutsacks. But I digress...

User avatar
Artaos
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:36 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Post by Artaos » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:47 am

For those having issues with upgrading firmware on the Erica Drum Sequencer, I will describe what I did to make it work. I did struggle for a few hours to do the upgrade, so I hope this can help some folks.

This worked:
- OS: MacOS X (10.13.4)
- Software: SysEx Librarian v1.3.2 (I had to download a special version which has the "Transmit Buffer Size" option in preferences, the official current version does not seem to have that option)
- Download it here: https://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/S ... 7601de.zip
- See discussion here: https://github.com/krevis/MIDIApps/issues/59
- MIDI interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
- "Transmit Buffer Size" in the SysEx Librarian Preferences: 64 (the manual says this is very important for some reason...)
- "Transmit Speed" in the SysEx Librarian Preferences: 28% = 877 bytes/sec

This did NOT work:
- A cheap USB to MIDI all-in-one USB MIDI interface
- "Transmit Speed" at 100% = 3125 bytes/sec
- "Transmit Buffer Size" not at 64
- The official latest version of SysEx Librarian (because it did not have the "Transmit Buffer Size" option in Preferences)

Also, a few more tips:
- I was able to entirely crash the module after a failed transfer, nothing worked anymore (blank screen even after power restarts etc). That was a bit scary, but I was still able to start it in "Waiting for SysEx mode", which worked fine.
- The module says "Waiting for SysEx..." before the transfer starts
- Once the transfer starts, it should say "Please wait...", if it doesn't show this right away, something might be wrong with the transfer
- The 4x4 step buttons are like a loading bar, they light up one by one from 0 to 16 (100%) so if your transfer is not ending with all of them lit up, something might be wrong
- My module restarted on its own at the end of the transfer (the transfer was pretty fast, like maybe 2 minutes), and everything was fine then

Good luck! Hopefully the upgrade process becomes much less brittle in upcoming firmware versions because this was not smooth.

User avatar
Artaos
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:36 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Post by Artaos » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:17 am

kodek wrote: Please feel free to suggest new functions also as we would like not only to squash out bugs, but add more fuctionality to the Drum Sequencer in future too.
Hey Kodek, what's the preferred way to send you new feature requests or bug reports? This forum thread? PM? email? Thanks!

User avatar
kodek
Common Wiggler
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:28 am
Contact:

Post by kodek » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:48 am

Thanks to everyone for reporting in!

We aim for a new firmware update release by the end of next week.

Regarding the update process we highly recommend to use a decent MIDI interface as all cheap MIDI - USB interfaces we have tested have failed as they somehow cant handle the SysEx decently.
And as already mentioned by Artaos setting the buffer to 64 is also very important!

Would be super cool if all bugs & requests could be also sent in via email to kodek@ericasynths.lv

User avatar
kodek
Common Wiggler
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:28 am
Contact:

Post by kodek » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:57 am

I’ve tried about 30 times now to update over the last 2 days. It’s a long dump.. pun intended. The Drum Sequencer seems to be catching the dump/reacting, but afterwards it keeps loading 1.030. Speed set to 64 bytes as specified in the manual.
Please try to do the update with a lower transmit speed!
And if you still don't succeed please send me an email.

Btw.. update can also by done with a 6pin AVR programmer.

User avatar
kodek
Common Wiggler
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:28 am
Contact:

Post by kodek » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:59 am

Hey, fresh update is out!

Drum Sequencer firmware 1.032

- FIXED: Shuffle not working in MUTE screen
- FIXED: Encoder 2 not working in TAP mode
- FIXED: Sequencer sometimes not stopping when external clock is stopped
- FIXED: MIDI start/stop not working properly with some devices
- FIXED: Sometimes first step was missed when clocked with external clock
- FIXED: Pattern 10 “ghost” (sometimes would not load/save it properly)
- FIXED: Chained pattern number display
- FIXED: Issues with CV track (sometimes last step of track was not saved properly)

Regarding the update process please follow the instructions in Drum Sequencer manual!

Download SysEx for update via MIDI HERE
Download HEX for update via AVR programmer HERE

NB! Dont forget to initialise the EEPROM after the update!
That can be done by holding down START & STOP keys while powering on the module.

Let me know if you experience any problems during update or step on some bugs in the new firmware.
Unfortunately this is only a bug-fix firmware release, but we are working on new features too!

Enjoy!

:drums:

Dunk_91
Common Wiggler
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:37 am

Post by Dunk_91 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:04 am

I've just updated. Midi sync seems fine, clock in is worst than before.
Now when start external clock the sequencer doesn't start until I press play button, and when I stop external clock and restart it sequencer remain stopped. nothing happen until I press again play on it.
Also when clock stop sequencer goes on for a couple of steps.
:bang: :bang:

User avatar
Artaos
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:36 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Post by Artaos » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:22 pm

I have updated to 1.032 too and I can't get it to sync correctly from clock in from Pamela's New Workout.

User avatar
MoogProDG
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:30 pm
Location: Limbo

Post by MoogProDG » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:21 pm

kodek wrote:
I’ve tried about 30 times now to update over the last 2 days. It’s a long dump.. pun intended. The Drum Sequencer seems to be catching the dump/reacting, but afterwards it keeps loading 1.030. Speed set to 64 bytes as specified in the manual.
Please try to do the update with a lower transmit speed!
And if you still don't succeed please send me an email.

Btw.. update can also by done with a 6pin AVR programmer.
I’ve attempted this update on 9 midi interfaces- no dice. Slow speed, proper buffer, no friggin dice.

I’ll be sending you an email for sure. Now I know why you didn’t have one at Moogfest (when they were shipping from dealers)- top price tier sequencer that looks amazing on paper and is 100% useless in a rig. I know- it’s most likely firmware related.. but when updating that’s not working either, it’s pretty dissatisfying. I’m hoping it’s not processor related....

Any pattern over 16 beats lags/doesn’t catch on the 1. Randomly, when selecting a pattern in play mode, certain tracks don’t catch the 1, sending all tracks into frenzy for an undetermined time, or continuously. Pattern chaining- forget about it. Whenever there are patterns chained the clk out hiccups like a drunk bitch.. tracks just do whatever they want in terms of timing. They will sync eventually, but not at the same reset point. Pretty frustrating.

It’s pretty hard to believe these bugs were overlooked before release. The 3 people I know personally who own one all have the same issues, Artaos being the only one who has updated firmware successfully...

This really deters me from giving my money to Erica ever again. Had the same experience with JoMoX in the past and I’ll give the same advice to Erica- if you’re going to sell a product, make sure it works before you take a lot of customers money. Don’t take their money and figure it out later. If the consumer base has to wait longer.. then make it wait. Basically you’re using our money off the first run to pay your employee/subcontractor to work out the bugs... instead of paying them up front to deliver a working product to the consumer in the first place.
____
_

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency, and vibration." - Tesla
BTByrd wrote:Know what's annoying? Making all your products bright fucking yellow and bespangling them with nutsacks. But I digress...

User avatar
kodek
Common Wiggler
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:28 am
Contact:

Post by kodek » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:34 am

MoogProDG, this was caused by the Pattern 10 "ghost".
It is ironed out in the 1.032 release!

All trough there might a hardware issue with you unit if you cant update it.
Please contact us via info@ericasynths.lv and we will sort it out.

Regarding the "clock in" issue, it is also now fixed and the 1.033 firmware release with this fix will be out in the next days.

User avatar
vibralux
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 708
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:16 am
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Post by vibralux » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:27 am

I am loving mine so far. Yes - there are some issues, but I am pretty confident Erica will iron them out. This is a solid company and I have only a positive experience with them. But at the same time its a small company driven by enthusiasts, so it all takes time. Even as it is now, I can definitely make music with mine and enjoy the unit. Here goes my overall review and tutorial on it:

[video][/video]
MY YT CHANNEL WITH MODULES REVIEWS:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3IgU2 ... hKH8ou7YTQ

MODULARS, ABLETON, MIXING. Stop reading manuals. Start making music.
http://www.colormysound.com/

Carmelo_P82
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:19 pm
Location: Brussels

Post by Carmelo_P82 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:24 pm

kodek wrote:MoogProDG, this was caused by the Pattern 10 "ghost".
It is ironed out in the 1.032 release!

All trough there might a hardware issue with you unit if you cant update it.
Please contact us via info@ericasynths.lv and we will sort it out.

Regarding the "clock in" issue, it is also now fixed and the 1.033 firmware release with this fix will be out in the next days.
I should get mine tomorrow. Do I have to be concerned by this ? I mean, all the units have these issues waiting to be updated ?
A bit affraid now as I've spent quite a lot for it.
Thank you for your answer :)

Post Reply

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”