Euro CV to expression pedal input

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

subdo
Wiggling with Experience

Euro CV to expression pedal input

Post by subdo »

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Strymon Big Sky and wondering about using eurorack CV (Maths, URA, etc.) to modulate values via the expression pedal input. Do I really need something like the ALM S.B.G? I realize there is a range issue i.e. Strymon takes +0/5v and Maths puts out +/-10v but it seems like that could be handled by a simple attenuverter. Can I do any real damage to the pedal experimenting?
wigwig
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wigwig »

You can find some discussion about this in the forum.

I asked Strymon the same question about the Big Sky and was told that excessive voltage might cause damage.
richc90
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by richc90 »

Strymon said in some other thread (about clocked delays, I think) that all their pedals with the appropriate EXP input can be controlled with external CV via a TRS connection with a range of 0-5V into EXP.
jwm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jwm »

i use the sbg with my el cap all the time (with the 5V output)
subdo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by subdo »

Thanks. So what do you do about the R in the TRS connection since euro patch cables are just TS. Going on this link the ring has the reference voltage?

http://www.strymon.net/strymon-tech-cor ... ion-pedal/
In electronic terms, this is most commonly accomplished with a TRS (tip / ring / sleeve) 1/4″ cable where the reference voltage is on the “ring,” the control voltage is fed back to the device on the “tip” and the “sleeve” is ground.
jwm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jwm »

the sbg actually includes a floating ring cable for this exact use..

this one from expert sleepers should work too..
http://www.analoguehaven.com/expertslee ... torcables/
subdo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by subdo »

jwm wrote:the sbg actually includes a floating ring cable for this exact use..

this one from expert sleepers should work too..
http://www.analoguehaven.com/expertslee ... torcables/
Looks like the SBG is the best way to do this. Thanks again.
Artaos
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Artaos »

There is an amazing trick for doing this safely, and without an extra module (just using a regular linear VCA):

- patch a stackable in BOTH VCA input and VCA output (yes...)
- patch from your expression pedal input to either end of the stackable
- CV in the VCA is your CV control over the pedal

No idea how this even works, but it does. Works perfectly with my Eventide Space. It's safe because whatever CV you apply, the expression input will only go from 0% to 100% according to the pedal (i.e. no over voltage is possible)
mattb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mattb »

I do not have a Strymon Big Sky but I am using an Insert cable with my Earthquaker and Chase Bliss pedals to control them with my modular
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler »

Artaos wrote:There is an amazing trick for doing this safely, and without an extra module (just using a regular linear VCA):

No idea how this even works, but it does. Works perfectly with my Eventide Space. It's safe because whatever CV you apply, the expression input will only go from 0% to 100% according to the pedal (i.e. no over voltage is possible)
This. Umcorps even has a video showcasing this with a Space pedal.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.
ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius »

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen »

Looks like it's more the other way round, doesn't it? :hmm:
moegl
Common Wiggler

Post by moegl »

Leverkusen wrote:
depends on what ADDAC means by "Invert switch for inverting the expression pedal action." ?
subdo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by subdo »

Artaos wrote:There is an amazing trick for doing this safely, and without an extra module (just using a regular linear VCA):

I'm trying to figure how this works.

What do you do about the TRS issue? One of those floating ring cables?
subdo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by subdo »

Leverkusen wrote:
Yeah, I read the descriptions on these and they are expression pedal to euro CV. Still useful but not what I'm looking for here.
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

subdo wrote:What do you do about the TRS issue? One of those floating ring cables?
I think you need to make a DIY Y-cable, from 2 x TS to 1 x TRS. Check Umcorpo's video and look for some other threads in the forum, this thing comes up every now and then.

I plan on using a direct cable to the Deco input, which accepts 5V. Just use an attenuator and make sure it stays within range.
subdo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by subdo »

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
subdo wrote:What do you do about the TRS issue? One of those floating ring cables?
I think you need to make a DIY Y-cable, from 2 x TS to 1 x TRS. Check Umcorpo's video and look for some other threads in the forum, this thing comes up every now and then.

I plan on using a direct cable to the Deco input, which accepts 5V. Just use an attenuator and make sure it stays within range.
I actually have one of those I got with the QuNexus. So if the CV signal is on the tip what do you plug the other cable into (i.e. the ring)?
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

subdo wrote:
Paranormal Patroler wrote:

I actually have one of those I got with the QuNexus. So if the CV signal is on the tip what do you plug the other cable into (i.e. the ring)?
Nope, you got it wrong. The Y cable is for the VCA trick: TRS to pedal, TS to VCA Input, TS to VCA Output and CV controls how much your VCA opens (re: VCA CV control).

If you want to use CV directly with the pedal I think you only need a TS to TS cable. I assume that's what people use but I haven't done it myself so do it at your own risk.
Artaos
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Artaos »

subdo wrote:

I'm trying to figure how this works.

What do you do about the TRS issue? One of those floating ring cables?
Haha, I stopped trying to figure out how it works. It works very well though, and seems very safe, you get CV only over the voltage the pedal accepts.

About the TRS issue, I just use a 1/4" TS cable to 3.5mm TS cable. It works just fine with my Eventide Space. It might depend on the pedal though. YMMV. If you really want to, you can use a floating ring cable, or a TRS to TS+TR splitter.
ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius »

Leverkusen wrote:

whoops.. lol.. doh!! :oops:
xidnpnlss
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by xidnpnlss »

Deleted
xidnpnlss
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by xidnpnlss »

Paranormal Patroler wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:47 am

Hi. Sorry to necro. Did you ever do this with your Deco? How did it work out? I'm thinking of doing this with my Deco too.

Since this post, is there any gizmo that ensures one won't go over 5v?
ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Re: Re:

Post by ersatzplanet »

xidnpnlss wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:39 am
Paranormal Patroler wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:47 am

Hi. Sorry to necro. Did you ever do this with your Deco? How did it work out? I'm thinking of doing this with my Deco too.

Since this post, is there any gizmo that ensures one won't go over 5v?
I'm thinking of doing this for my Nord Modulars and using a Vactrol to make sure it doesn't get over voltage. The expression pedal jacks themselves provide the voltage that is modulated by the pot in the pedal. Just replace the pot in the schematic with a Vactrol (or FSR as an alternative) and it will never do over voltage. A simple transistor circuit will also work if you want faster response than the Vactrol will give. If you just modulate the voltage already provided by the expression jack, you will never blow up the piece being controlled (you may blow out the Vactrol or transistor of course).
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”