Ratcheting Gate Sequencers

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

Felnyrii
Common Wiggler

Ratcheting Gate Sequencers

Post by Felnyrii »

So, I've decided I need ratcheting in my sequence toolbox. From my understanding, this works by being able to multiply a gate or clock with CV. I'm looking to decide on a module to utilize for this. I've been looking at the Doepfer A-160-5 and the 4ms QCD as my primary options. Clearly, there is space allowance as a deciding factor between the two, but also I'm looking to hear how anyone uses these two for this style, I guess, of sequencing.

I am also interested in hear other options that people use. :cloud:

And for reference, here is a link to a modulargrid with my plan (I have 6U looking to expand to 9U).

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/279752
bendedavis
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bendedavis »

Get a Malekko Varigate 4. 4 gate sequences, 8 steps, up to 8 repeats per step.
Felnyrii
Common Wiggler

Post by Felnyrii »

I remember seeing that when it came out. Very impressive, but I'm not super keen on menus. Though, DivKid's video make them seem pretty simple and comfortable to use.

Plus, having it free from my other sequencers would be nice. Thanks! :banana:
basicbasic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by basicbasic »

My personal suggestion (as an A-160-5 owner) is to pair it with a sequential or VC switch of some kind as it will allow for finer control over when you want the ratchet/multiplication to happen. Also, if you do decide on the Doepfer make sure you have a spare attenuator for the VC input as it's the key to taming it's sometimes extreme reactions.
Felnyrii
Common Wiggler

Post by Felnyrii »

basicbasic, thanks for the suggestions, I recently decided to grab the Doepfer A-150 dual switch for primarily gate uses to go with a RYO Paths. Additionally, is the knob on the A-160-5 not an attenuator at all? Or is that an offset for the CV in?

Frankly, I've pumped myself up about the Varigate 4, but I think I am going to grab that and the Doepfer for different uses.

Thanks guys! :cloud:
basicbasic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by basicbasic »

Felnyrii wrote:Additionally, is the knob on the A-160-5 not an attenuator at all? Or is that an offset for the CV in?
Surprisingly not. Once a cable in plugged into the CV input it appears to have no purpose.
Felnyrii
Common Wiggler

Post by Felnyrii »

Huh, I just read that as well after some more manual reading about the A-160-5. Seems a little odd.
Radical Ans
Common Wiggler

Post by Radical Ans »

Not to derail the thread, but I've seen the term "ratcheting sequencer" several times around the interwebs, but I am not 100% on what it means. Would anyone like to clarify?
Felnyrii
Common Wiggler

Post by Felnyrii »

Radical Ans wrote:Not to derail the thread, but I've seen the term "ratcheting sequencer" several times around the interwebs, but I am not 100% on what it means. Would anyone like to clarify?
I too was confused for a while about the term. So finally I did a bit of research after seeing the A-160-5 (retro version) pop up on Modular Grid.

I found a few videos referring to Tangerine Dream and the repeated steps / multiplications in the patterns. Those repeats being the "ratchets".

Youtube Link 1

Youtube Link 2
evileye0702
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by evileye0702 »

If you want to think outside the box the Komplex sequencer is great for ratcheting sequences.
vedicspaceprogram
Common Wiggler

Post by vedicspaceprogram »

The Stillson Hammer MK 2 does "bursts", which is their name for ratcheting. It is very controllable and sounds organic and musical.
Felnyrii
Common Wiggler

Post by Felnyrii »

evileye0702 wrote:If you want to think outside the box the Komplex sequencer is great for ratcheting sequences.
Saw the Komplex at Knobcon last year, that thing looks awesome, but a bit above my price and space availability.

The Stillson Hammer Mk 2 is very cool too. I'll have to look at the bursts that it does.

Thanks guys! :cloud:

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”