Xaoc Batumi + Poti 2016 batch

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
albiedamned
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by albiedamned »

I wound up falling asleep right after putting my kids to bed last night so I never got to play with the Batumi. I did turn it on just now, and the four mode lights quickly blink in succession on power up. Is that the light show you're talking about?

I'm guessing I probably do have the new factory firmware. I will try to make a video of my scenario, so you can see what I'm doing and tell me what I'm doing wrong :).
Stuff I did by myself: https://soundcloud.com/albiedamned21133
Stuff I did with my pretend band: https://soundcloud.com/borisandnatasha
dusk
Common Wiggler

Post by dusk »

jdev wrote:Figured out the alternate firmware update. Random wave function is great so far.

RTFM - Follow the instructions in the update app, plug in the Batumi to mini usb exactly when it says to. Updated via Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan without FTDI driver updates.
I followed them to a T and keep getting No new device detected. :(
zengomi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by zengomi »

dusk wrote:
jdev wrote:Figured out the alternate firmware update. Random wave function is great so far.

RTFM - Follow the instructions in the update app, plug in the Batumi to mini usb exactly when it says to. Updated via Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan without FTDI driver updates.
Maybe the following applies to your situation:

FTDI Drivers
------------

Both Windows and OSX should come pre-installed with generic drivers to communicate with the Batumi, but in some cases it has been found necessary to install dedicated drivers (FTDI). First try the tool without them; if it fails with the error "No new devices found", you will need to install them. Detailed instructions on how to install the drivers can be found here:

Windows: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/ho ... --in-depth

Mac OS X: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/ho ... rivers/mac
dusk
Common Wiggler

Post by dusk »

zengomi wrote:
dusk wrote:

FTDI Drivers
------------

Both Windows and OSX should come pre-installed with generic drivers to communicate with the Batumi, but in some cases it has been found necessary to install dedicated drivers (FTDI). First try the tool without them; if it fails with the error "No new devices found", you will need to install them. Detailed instructions on how to install the drivers can be found here:

ya, I tried this. OSX, el cap
zengomi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by zengomi »

dusk, I'm using Sierra now on a late 2015 iMac. Will try to install one of the versions of the expert firmware this weekend. Will post the outcome.
natureclubcassettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes »

just when I thought I was safe from module lust... even when I'm fucking broke. thought that I would hate menu diving after experiences with polysynths (i'm looking at you, poly800) but honestly shapeshifter is so intuitive, and the hidden functions on uScale and clouds are innocuous as hell.

one question: how are people dealing with sending their clocked LFOs to clock dividers that want a unipolar trigger? just use saw or square out with poti?

it would be insane if a future firmware update could allow LFOs to be internally summed to produce some sort of S&H output, or to switch between unipolar and bipolar outputs (unless this is already a function and I'm a fool)
giftculture
Common Wiggler

Post by giftculture »

dusk wrote:
zengomi wrote:
dusk wrote:

FTDI Drivers
------------

I ended up using a windows laptop to install the firmware, couldn't get the FW to install on my late 2009 MBP
albiedamned
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by albiedamned »

I recorded a video of my sync issue. In the video, I said that it did not appear to be syncing. But after listening to it again and playing with it some more, I've realized that it IS actually syncing. It's just not syncing to the first beat. It syncs to one of the 4 beats but not always the first beat. It seems to depend on where in the cycle it was when the new clock started coming in.

[video][/video]
Sasahara
Common Wiggler

Post by Sasahara »

Batumi is my favorite lfo. Just all the control and the surprising modulation I can add to my sounds.
mbartkow
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mbartkow »

albiedamned, from your video it seems you are expecting that the divided channels should be aligned with the downbeat of your Pamela sequence. It's principally impossible. First of all, Batumi has no information about which one of your clock tics is the downbeat one in the sequence. Secondly, sync works on every impulse, but it makes no sense to reset the divided channels, because they would no longer be divided, they would all have the same frequency.

The goal you are trying to achieve requires syncing of your Batumi to the downbeat pulse from PW. With 8 outputs of Pamela you can output various divisions of your master clock and use the Free mode of Batumi to sync individual channels to these. You will get some waveforms synced to the master clock, and others synced to the downbeat easily.
albiedamned
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by albiedamned »

I'll try it again tonight in Free mode, sending the appropriate /4 division from Pamela's.

How far apart can clock signals be for Batumi to sync to them?
mqtthiqs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mqtthiqs »

albiedamned wrote:How far apart can clock signals be for Batumi to sync to them?
Very far. Like, you can literally send it a trigger, go to sleep, wake up in the morning, have a coffee, and send the second trigger, and it will sync to that period.
dusk
Common Wiggler

Post by dusk »

giftculture wrote:
dusk wrote:
zengomi wrote:
dusk wrote:

FTDI Drivers
------------

I ended up using a windows laptop to install the firmware, couldn't get the FW to install on my late 2009 MBP

ya a buddy of mine said he had to use a windows vm to get it to work, as well

I dont really want to go through that mess to only update firmware on a module. but, maybe it'll be good to have a windows VM on hand for more types of window acrobatics when things don't inevitably place nice with osx
TINCT
Common Wiggler

Post by TINCT »

Excuse my ignorance but can someone explain how i would go about setting the jumpers for different waveforms? Does it involve soldering?

I've not had to do this on a module before so am completely clueless, and not with my system atm to have a look at the back of the module

Thank you :)
dusk
Common Wiggler

Post by dusk »

TINCT wrote:Excuse my ignorance but can someone explain how i would go about setting the jumpers for different waveforms? Does it involve soldering?

I've not had to do this on a module before so am completely clueless, and not with my system atm to have a look at the back of the module

Thank you :)
on the back of the module, you should see three jumpers in a row. the top one toggles between sync/reset mode and the bottom two are the waveform shape of ASSGN out

you just add or remove jumpers so they match the pattern on the back of the module... saw, tri, ramp

the jumpers are all there so you just need to decide if you like default, or remove the ones you want to match the waveform you want.. no soldering needed
zengomi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by zengomi »

zengomi wrote:dusk, I'm using Sierra now on a late 2015 iMac. Will try to install one of the versions of the expert firmware this weekend. Will post the outcome.
The app "Xaoc Firmware Update Tool OSX" won't open, even after installing the FTDI driver.

No luck with Windows XP either.
303ish
Common Wiggler

Post by 303ish »

mqtthiqs wrote:
albiedamned wrote:How far apart can clock signals be for Batumi to sync to them?
Very far. Like, you can literally send it a trigger, go to sleep, wake up in the morning, have a coffee, and send the second trigger, and it will sync to that period.
:lolspew:

Ok, Im a little confused... So in the new (2016) standard firmware, if I sync the first lfo to a external clock in divide mode, I still can reset the others? Thats is really nice. I should keep the sync jumper for this, right? Thanks!
xaoc_tech
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xaoc_tech »

303ish wrote:Ok, Im a little confused... So in the new (2016) standard firmware, if I sync the first lfo to a external clock in divide mode, I still can reset the others?
No no, you can't. It would make no sense, as explained above. That's why the Sync inputs of channels 2, 3 & 4 have been employed for additional tricks: hold, time reversal and waveform select. It is described in the updated manual (see the "New factory firmware" section)
zengomi wrote: The app "Xaoc Firmware Update Tool OSX" won't open, even after installing the FTDI driver.
Even with no driver installed, the application should be able to start (it will be eventually unable to detect the unit). If it doesn't start at all, it may indicate the file is incompatible with the operation system, or damaged, e.g. due to interrupted download.
zengomi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by zengomi »

xaoc_tech wrote:
zengomi wrote: The app "Xaoc Firmware Update Tool OSX" won't open, even after installing the FTDI driver.
Even with no driver installed, the application should be able to start (it will be eventually unable to detect the unit). If it doesn't start at all, it may indicate the file is incompatible with the operation system, or damaged, e.g. due to interrupted download.
Thank you for your response. I've downloaded the expert firmware package from Xaoc's site several times, including a few minutes ago.

My iMac is running MacOS Sierra, Version 10.12. When I try to open the update app, a window with this message appears: "Xaoc Firmware Update Tool OSX quit unexpectedly. Click Reopen to open the application again. Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple." Clicking Reopen causes the same message to appear. I've set a report to Apple.

Does this app open for anyone running Sierra?
xaoc_tech
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xaoc_tech »

I have just downloaded the package from web site and verified the integrity of the app. It's allright.

One possible reason of failure is a strange incompatibility of the compression tool that may damage the file. Did you try to unzip the package with some alternative tool?
zengomi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by zengomi »

xaoc_tech wrote:I have just downloaded the package from web site and verified the integrity of the app. It's allright.

One possible reason of failure is a strange incompatibility of the compression tool that may damage the file. Did you try to unzip the package with some alternative tool?
I didn't unzip the package as the files were accessible. Maybe that's the problem.

Edit:

Now I have downloaded as a zip file and tried 3 compression tools: Archive Utility; Keka; and RAR Extractor Free. All of them produced a folder containing 5 files, but Xaoc Firmware Update Tool OSX still won't open.
303ish
Common Wiggler

Post by 303ish »

xaoc_tech wrote: No no, you can't. It would make no sense, as explained above. That's why the Sync inputs of channels 2, 3 & 4 have been employed for additional tricks: hold, time reversal and waveform select. It is described in the updated manual (see the "New factory firmware" section)
actually i would like to “hard sync” the lfos. but i think i can do this removing the sync jumper and adjusting the frequency by hand

i tend to prefer an analog-like behavior as i cant remember all this different features while patching
dusk
Common Wiggler

Post by dusk »

ya, would love to figure out the osx upgrade bugs... seems very weird and inconsistent across different version

interested to check out expert firmware... might have to find a windows machine
jwm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by jwm »

hey all..so after a case reshuffle (which is the only thing i can think of that is different) i'm noticing that my batumi now starts up in divide mode no matter what. i almost always exclusive use the free mode, and its not the end of the world, but was just curious if anyone had an idea as to what could be causing this? (i have expert installed, btw)

:hmm:

also, apologizes if anyone touched on this somewhere..thread is getting deep
REVIVER
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by REVIVER »

jwm wrote:hey all..so after a case reshuffle (which is the only thing i can think of that is different) i'm noticing that my batumi now starts up in divide mode no matter what. i almost always exclusive use the free mode, and its not the end of the world, but was just curious if anyone had an idea as to what could be causing this? (i have expert installed, btw)
I don't have mine anymore, but when I did it exhibited similar behavior. However, mine would default to Quad mode regardless of what mode I left it on before powering down.

This was prior to the existence of alternate firmware.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”