[Project] Diy Oscilloscope // JYETech DSO 112 / Eurorack

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

orenhag
Learning to Wiggle

Post by orenhag »

-al-

1) Yep. they are wired together.
2) yes.
3) ?
4) it has to be momentary.
5) ?
6) Correct. This is the way I did it.
7) Tayda, Erthenvar ...
Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 »

-al- wrote:
3) What type of Button did Altitude909 use? Source, part number, similar to a different button, etc?

5) To use a separate Button, I can use the solder pads next to the existing Button, and then simply solder leads to my button; Correct?
I used ones similar to these:

You want a 6.35 actuator at least

I didnt have the surface mount ones so I just use through holes ones and cut the legs into lengths I could solder to the SMD pads on the board after removing the old switch
av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 »

Kickflip wrote:I'm liking these DIY scope modules. Anyone know of a cheap 2-channel version? Would be great to replace my Hitachi V-212!
this one is 2-channel: viewtopic.php?t=157649

:)
orenhag
Learning to Wiggle

Post by orenhag »

av500 wrote:
Kickflip wrote:I'm liking these DIY scope modules. Anyone know of a cheap 2-channel version? Would be great to replace my Hitachi V-212!

That's great! Are you releasing the pcb eagle files and panel design?

Anyhow, Tsyklon Labs makes a cool double osc too - https://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic ... c4b4d3de75
av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 »

orenhag wrote:
av500 wrote:

That's great! Are you releasing the pcb eagle files and panel design?
the PCB *is* the panel and they will be for sale
Kickflip
Common Wiggler

Post by Kickflip »

av500 wrote:

Sorry, just saw this, great little design! A bit small for my needs, I'm really liking the form factor of this DIY kit.
hallvard
Common Wiggler

Post by hallvard »

Hmm, seems JYE tech released a new version DSO 112A with a different PCB layout:
http://accudiy.com/index.php?main_page= ... cts_id=202

Anyone know if it would be simple to do same as orenhag did with the original DSO112?
Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 »

hallvard wrote:Hmm, seems JYE tech released a new version DSO 112A with a different PCB layout:
http://accudiy.com/index.php?main_page= ... cts_id=202

Anyone know if it would be simple to do same as orenhag did with the original DSO112?
Yes, this is what I used. No difference other than the one BNC connector is a little harder to get to
hallvard
Common Wiggler

Post by hallvard »

That's good to know - thank you. I'll probably have a go at one of these then.
Cavimaster
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cavimaster »

-al- wrote:First, like to say thanks to Orenhag for the information and file; much appreciated! Second, thanks to everyone else whom have contributed.

Working on my Panel design and need some help understanding the Scope and Circuitry.

1) In Orenhag's and Cavimaster's photos, the 3.5mm Jacks for the "In" (50Vpk Max Connector) are wired in series. Panel is labeled In and Out, but as wired, the Jacks are BOTH In and Out; Correct?

2) The Test Connector ONLY produces a signal, the Jack is ONLY out; Correct?

3) What type of Button did Altitude909 use? Source, part number, similar to a different button, etc?

4) Cavimaster used a separate On/Off Button. What type of button? Momentary push, On/Off latching, etc.?

5) To use a separate Button, I can use the solder pads next to the existing Button, and then simply solder leads to my button; Correct?

6) For power, I have a skiff with 5V. I am guessing the Ribbon/Connector will be 16 Pin and I will only use the one wire on the Ribbon to 5V+ on the DSO and one wire for the Ground on the Ribbon to the Ground on the DSO. Anything wrong with my assumptions?

7) It should be obvious by now I am new to synth DIY by now... so last question, source for the Ribbon Cable, Header, and Connector?

Thanks in advance for the help! Already bought the scope and looking to order a panel within the next week.
Hi al!

I will try to answer some of your questions one with my poor English...

1) The jack is out yes, but cable in parallel
2) Yes
4) A simple (N/O = Normaly open) push button like this: Chipandlove.ch -> push button N/O
5) Exactly
6 & 7) if you have a good power supply 5V, you can simple use two Dupont wire (female-female) and plug simply GND & +5V between DSO & your Skiff

Dont forget to post a picture of your work ;)

Good luck & enjoy!
Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer »

You guys are geniuses! :hail:

How many HP are they?

Can someone build me one with a silver panel? :love:
diablojoy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diablojoy »

I'm liking these DIY scope modules. Anyone know of a cheap 2-channel version? Would be great to replace my Hitachi V-212!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-DSO272-3-2-T ... 1523438579

hmm this might be ok if you want a larger screen size then the av500 module or don't want to do SMT
the inputs are only good for +/- 10v max so that would need to looked at
but it looks like it would be easy to put behind a panel at least
probably would lose the bnc's and wire a couple of jacks instead they are not in great positions anyway, no power switch to worry about either

might try one myself - shipping is ultra slow though - don't know If I have that much patience
It probably wont happen today but if it does it definitely wont go smoothly.
Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 »

^
Nice.

That looks like a better choice than the 112. That will be one big module though (26 HP?)
diablojoy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diablojoy »

That will be one big module though (26 HP?)
hmm 3.2 inch TFT screen (normally measured on the diagonal ?)
bit hard to judge from the pic and I couldn't find any board dimensions but I would think it should fit in 18 HP
maybe a bit tight for 16 HP
will order one and get back to you some time in june :lol:

edit : ordered one now to wait and see
Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 »

I know its diagonal, I am guessing on the size of the circuit board. The 112 was 2.4" for the display and this is 30% bigger
hallvard
Common Wiggler

Post by hallvard »

See edit..

Just finished this one, but it keeps powering off after a while. First I replaced the button (with an OFF-(ON) momentary switch), but the scope powered off after a min or less. Then I tried to short both J8 and the component shown in HAGs photo, but the same thing happens... I am powering from 5V directly from my power supply to the J9 +/- points on the pcb.

Any tips on what I am doing wrong? What specifically does shorting J8 and the component do? I have a button installed as in the original, so I assumed I didn't have to short these, or?

EDIT:
Figured out a mistake - I hadn't read my button datasheet (or measured resistance...) - I need to rotate it 90 degreees, hehe :oops: . Will see if that helps. Should have worked when bypassing the button though...

Also got a tip from cavimaster to turn off auto power off, but it still went dark after a while.
hallvard
Common Wiggler

Post by hallvard »

Now it works! Thanks to orenhag for a great project!

I was testing it with my uZeus powersupply, and it turns out it only supplies 170 mA on the 5V rail, so that was why (after soldering switch correctly) it was still powering off after a while. So remember to check current draw, folks :). The specs says 300 mA at 3.7V.

NB - the raised text on the panel does not come out perfectly in the 3D print from shapeways (standard black one). Might be better if it was made larger. Still possible to read with some imagination ;). I also need to paint the text on mine when find the time... Tried once to spraypaint on a sheet of paper and push the panel into it, but it flexed enough to color the panel and not only the text :doh:, so I sprayed the thing black again. I made M3 threads in the studs on the back side with a threading tool (not sure what it's called in English). Works great.

The 3D print option from Shapeways costs 20 $ USD with shipping included to Norway, so it's a lot cheaper than FPE for me, although not as pretty.

... long post, but at least I learned it's hard to hack together modules during the short naps of my 1 year old :).
Attachments
panel_sketchup_DSO112.zip
NB - text needs to be larger to come out well from Shapeways
(401.33 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
diablojoy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diablojoy »

I know its diagonal, I am guessing on the size of the circuit board. The 112 was 2.4" for the display and this is 30% bigger
my HP -DSO272
Arrived in the post unexpectedly today so the expected slow post wasn't.

there is a display board and a main board sandwiched together
the main board is the larger and measures approx 99mm x 65mm
so 20 HP will be a good fit but I will need to desolder the 2 BNC connectors
and cable to 2 x 3.5mm panel connectors instead,
they are through hole so no biggie.

there is SMT momentary tact switches for reset and boot on the main board as well as an SMT micro USB socket which seems to be the only point to power it from . it did power up ok and it certainly looks good .
I will look it over better on the weekend and see what I can come up with panel wise.
orenhag
Learning to Wiggle

Post by orenhag »

@hallvard Well done!

About powering down - did you cancel the auto shutdown feature?
hallvard
Common Wiggler

Post by hallvard »

orenhag wrote:@hallvard Well done!

About powering down - did you cancel the auto shutdown feature?
Thanks!

Yes, and everything works great now in my main case with a TipTop Studio busboard which can supply enough current on the 5V rail.
Opnotic
Common Wiggler

Post by Opnotic »

Huge thank you Orenhag for putting in the work on the panel and R&D! It let me come in behind you with minimal effort and get a pretty cool scope!

I used an efficient switching power regulator for the 5v supply. These chips are drop in replacements for the 7805 but they don't give off any heat.

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/281/oki-78sr-56393.pdf

With the efficient regulator the scope draws 150ma briefly at turn on then settles between 130-140ma draw on the 12v line. (DSO 112A model).

(moderator edit: in the future please resize your images or use the Upload Picture tool please)
franman69
Veteran Wiggler

Post by franman69 »

Following....
bovaflux
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bovaflux »

I've been very(!) slowly chipping away at this project for a couple of months. Finally have all my parts and a nice looking panel (cost as much as the scope!) and today had a go at the first bit of soldering to get the power sorted. I was initially overjoyed when the little screen lit up.. But then it went black. Seems like it always powers itself off after half a second or a second... Is this to do with the extra short? I have done that, along with J8, but I'm wondering if I missed something?
hallvard
Common Wiggler

Post by hallvard »

bovaflux wrote:I've been very(!) slowly chipping away at this project for a couple of months. Finally have all my parts and a nice looking panel (cost as much as the scope!) and today had a go at the first bit of soldering to get the power sorted. I was initially overjoyed when the little screen lit up.. But then it went black. Seems like it always powers itself off after half a second or a second... Is this to do with the extra short? I have done that, along with J8, but I'm wondering if I missed something?
What power supply are you using? Couldn't run this on my uZeus for instance...
Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 »

If anyone is interested, I'm letting mine go for the price of the panel and the device ($125), I need to the space and already have 2 scopes.
Altitude909 wrote:and here's mine. kept the switch since I dont want it on all the time

Return to “Music Tech DIY”