Jasper - Another Wasp Clone

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

jasonl
Common Wiggler

Post by jasonl »

jpimpernel wrote:Hi there! It seems that I missed the train. Great project! I would be interested in buying a full kit if it's not too late...
Thanks! I'll put you down on the reserve/next-run list.

There will be another run once the dust has settled over this one, and there are a few completed builds. I doubt there'll be a full kit - it's proving more than enough work packaging the PCBs and the few parts I supply. All the other parts are easily obtainable from Mouser/Farnell/Smallbear/Musikding... 8-)
jasonl
Common Wiggler

Post by jasonl »

Update: I've managed a couple of trips to the post office today - and have shipped nearly all the PCBs for people not waiting for the knob group-buy. The remaining five will be done tomorrow, and I'll PM the half-dozen in the original list who haven't yet responded.

Next step is to wait for the knob group-buy to come in. After those have been despatched I'll take stock and start to allocate remaining PCBs to the reserve list.

The build guide will have to wait until the Easter weekend. 8-)
daryll
Common Wiggler

Post by daryll »

Mine came yesterday , guess what I will be doing over Easter........................

Looks amazing

Daryll
there are 10 types of people in the world , those that understand the binary system , and those that dont
SmartBits
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SmartBits »

Packaged received, thanks Jason!
Next stop, the build thread... :nana:
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand »

Arrived today - the boards look fantastic!
Nice work Jason.

Will be a while before I have time to get on to building..

Edit - I took a break from what I'm meant to be doing and scanned over the 19-page thread (didn't take too long as many posts are 'me please'!)

Couple of questions - though I guess much will be covered by the forthcoming Build Thread.

- is the last BOM posted correct? [think around page 13 of the thread - there was one posted a few pages before]. Presuming that all parts refs on the board are accurate? They'll actually make building a lot quicker/easier.

- wondered on the two mods boards - is there anywhere convenient to mount them? I saw in your pics that you had them flying with MTA headers. I guess there'll be space somewhere under the panel, but wondered what your thoughts were.

- I was going to wonder how this works with low batteries, but, of course, it has the VReg to +5V.. hmm.. still, I wonder what a low-power circuit bend may do to the behaviour! eg. inserting a low value pot straight after the VReg.

Not a question - an observation - this seems like a really well done project! Big claps for Jason. I noted how detailed the schematics were (a great sign), but also the clarity of design & little things like options and the simple way to make the rear of the PCB front panel connect to 0V Gnd. Lovely stuff!
duff
Veteran Wiggler

Post by duff »

jasonl wrote:Update:Next step is to wait for the knob group-buy to come in. After those have been despatched I'll take stock and start to allocate remaining PCBs to the reserve list.
Cross posting an update I just posted.....

As it has been 4 weeks since the order was placed I chased Cliff for a more accurate date of delivery than the approximately 8 weeks I was originally told. They came back with a date 4 weeks from today.
jasonl
Common Wiggler

Post by jasonl »

BugBrand wrote:Arrived today - the boards look fantastic!
Nice work Jason.

Will be a while before I have time to get on to building..
Thanks!
BugBrand wrote: Edit - I took a break from what I'm meant to be doing and scanned over the 19-page thread (didn't take too long as many posts are 'me please'!)

Couple of questions - though I guess much will be covered by the forthcoming Build Thread.

- is the last BOM posted correct? [think around page 13 of the thread - there was one posted a few pages before]. Presuming that all parts refs on the board are accurate? They'll actually make building a lot quicker/easier.
I posted a newer BOM on the build thread. This is virtually identical, except I added a section for the Enhanced mode PCBs. The only difference to the PCB legend (at the moment) is C40. This determines the time before the envelope can retrigger after a note is released. It's tricky to explain, but it makes the synth react better with faster keyboarding or sequencing.
BugBrand wrote: - wondered on the two mods boards - is there anywhere convenient to mount them? I saw in your pics that you had them flying with MTA headers. I guess there'll be space somewhere under the panel, but wondered what your thoughts were.
They're a bit of an afterthought. They will just fit under the panel at the top left of the board - stuck using velcro or sticky foam pads for example. As I suspect an enclosure will add space for a speaker, MIDI interface, what-have-you, then there'll be an opportunity to provide a mount-point.
BugBrand wrote:
- I was going to wonder how this works with low batteries, but, of course, it has the VReg to +5V.. hmm.. still, I wonder what a low-power circuit bend may do to the behaviour! eg. inserting a low value pot straight after the VReg.
Usually I've noticed the keyboard sensing goes strange, stops responding or mis-triggers. Also depends if you're using the speaker, and not the line out. Worth experimenting with.
BugBrand wrote:
Not a question - an observation - this seems like a really well done project! Big claps for Jason. I noted how detailed the schematics were (a great sign), but also the clarity of design & little things like options and the simple way to make the rear of the PCB front panel connect to 0V Gnd. Lovely stuff!
Thanks - I'm embarrassed now. :oops:

Of course the biggest shout should go to Chris Huggett and Adrian Wagner who designed and made the original Wasp 37 years or so ago. :hail:
tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB »

I'd be interested in getting on that reserve list if I'm not already on it?
grizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by grizzle »

I'm interested. Can I be added to any list that exists? I can pay now if there are extras, but I'm happy to wait too.

Cheers
Tunes-----> apartmentfox.bandcamp.com
jasonl
Common Wiggler

Post by jasonl »

tIB wrote:I'd be interested in getting on that reserve list if I'm not already on it?
grizzle wrote:I'm interested. Can I be added to any list that exists? I can pay now if there are extras, but I'm happy to wait too.

Cheers
I'm maintaining a reserve/interest list on the spreadsheet I'm using to keep on top of the PCB run. Nothing official yet, as I want to get this run sorted completely before planning a second.

Cheers! :guinness:
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand »

Ah-ha - thanks Jason - I hadn't seen that the Build thread had actually been opened already. Cheers!
jpimpernel
Learning to Wiggle

Jasper synth

Post by jpimpernel »

Thanks for your answer, Jason. Actually, I meant "full kit" as I initially thought that the knobs were an option too, before discovering a different thread was dealing with that! So you can count me in for the next batch.
pvision
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Rack mounting

Post by pvision »

Paradigm X wrote:
jasonl wrote:
pvision wrote:I had a look at the panel measurements. Width-wise, it will fit perfectly on a 19" panel. Height is 172mm, which is just short of 4U (178 mm or 7").

Nick Froome
Thanks for your work on this. Sounds like it would be an interesting variant! :tu: I look forward to making one up like this.
is there potential interest in doing a rack specific run? id much prefer a rack tbph, and dont fancy the idea of chopping pcbs :eek: :help:

cheers
I am happy to help in any way I can with racking the boards. If the PCB has to be cut, I don't think it's a massive problem. Perhaps there could be a version made without the keyboard, but is it worth it?

I'll make a Sketchup model of how it might fit together & upload it

Jason, if you have a scrap PCB I could use to prototype a rack version please let me know!

Nick Froome
demian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by demian »

I received my well packaged Jasper kit today.

Thanks very much for this awesome deal! :-)
Zecross
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Zecross »

Pack is home! :banana:
Nice job. Thanks again, Jason. :yay:
jasonl
Common Wiggler

Post by jasonl »

Zecross wrote:Pack is home! :banana:
Nice job. Thanks again, Jason. :yay:
Thanks! I'm glad they're arriving safely so far.

I'm building one up while photographing it, and will assemble these pictures into the build-guide I'm putting together.

I've got to the stage of putting all the ICs and doing a basic test. It worked first time. On my previous builds I've usually made a silly mistake like forgotten to solder a pot, or put a wrong capacitor in... :doh: Having a legible silkscreen helps somewhat. :hihi:

Just need to put the volume mixer pots onto the panel, edit the photos and assemble the build doc. That should happen tomorrow.

Cheers!
kluberrrrr
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kluberrrrr »

:yay: :yay: :yay:

I'm waiting for mine! Should get it this week! :sb:

:omg: :omg: :omg:
Check Mate
Aquatic Beta Particle

Post by Check Mate »

Dear Jason,

I'm a bit late to the party but could you please put me down for a complete set? It is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Enrico
thawkin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thawkin »

I'd like to be put onto the list for the next run! Very interested! Looks like a fantastic project!
Crashlander42
Common Wiggler

Post by Crashlander42 »

I'd like to put in for the next run.
a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user »

Also late but very interested
demian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by demian »

You may also put me on the list for a second kit. :-)
AThousandDetails
Common Wiggler

Post by AThousandDetails »

I've sent you a PM, but please add me to the second kit! I want one ASAP :D
jasonl
Common Wiggler

Post by jasonl »

Thanks for everyone's enthusiasm :nana:

The next run won't be for a little while as I want to get this first wave out of the way first.

Although the next run isn't planned or official, if you express an interest (by PM or in this thread) I'll make a note of your Muff's name so you can be assured that you can get a Jasper PCB in the next batch.

I won't be providing full kits - just the PCBs, 3 switched pots and CD4006. The other components are available easily from the usual suppliers. I may place an order for a load of knobs from Cliff, as Duff's group-buy has proven popular, and offer those as an option, though.

Anyway I'm behind trying to get the build doc finished... 8-)

Cheers! :guinness:
Davidoff
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Davidoff »

Got mine !! It look fantastic, great job Jason ! :tu:

Return to “Music Tech DIY”