New volca skiff

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

Dichstudios
Learning to Wiggle

New volca skiff

Post by Dichstudios »

Hello all!
New guy here.
I thought I would share my new product with all of you.
These new "skiffs" are made for those who like to mod the volcas and need a better way to house the modifications.

They are made out of 1/2" oak and 1/8" aluminum and provide a nice solid base to work with.

Open to any suggestions.

Please visit my website if interested. www.dichstudios.com
Pardon the crude website, I'm slowly learning.
windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit »

Nice! It would be great if they came with a MIDI out jack pre-mounted since almost all of them already have midi out capability that requires modding. Great idea :D
Synthsense
Common Wiggler

Post by Synthsense »

I like the cocncept so much! And the price for the different cases is fair too.

Well done
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, Where the heck is the ceiling? :hmm:
Dichstudios
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dichstudios »

Thank you!

I've decided to start including free midi jacks with each purchase, rather then pre-drill any holes, seeing as people may want the case/skiff as is.

I'm really looking forward to see how people mod these.
windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit »

I did a fair number of mods to my volca beats (snare fix, midi out, individual outs, separate noise and tone decay as well as a cross fader for analog vs PCM sounds) but I have yet to see other volcas with a large number of mods. Does anyone have any resources on that?
ZatsuOn
Common Wiggler

Post by ZatsuOn »

The Volca line has always seemed like a circuit bender's playground, but there's surprisingly little out there about what's been done or ideas for what could be done. (Or maybe I've just not seen it? -- other than all the ebayers offering midi-out kits.)

Windspirit, given all the mods you listed, you might be the best resource there is :party:

Dichstudios, your skiffs look cool! It would be great to see some ideas/resources for integrating with modular. Maybe add some way to include power and midi-to-CV in the skiff itself?
spoor
Common Wiggler

Post by spoor »

Just what I've been looking for - am guessing shipping the 2 or 3 versions to uk would be prohibitive though.
Dichstudios
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dichstudios »

spoor wrote:Just what I've been looking for - am guessing shipping the 2 or 3 versions to uk would be prohibitive though.
Elevator Sound in Bristol, UK just emailed me asking about being a retail outlet for my gear. Anyone over on that side of the pond know of this shop?
The website looks great, and I'm sure my fellow synth peeps would like to save some money on shipping costs.

@windspirit if I put a forum on my site, would you be kind enough to share some of the mods you've done?

@zatsuOn I like the idea of a single power jack branching out to each volca, should be pretty easy to make. When I make them I'll make sure to kick you one for free as a "thank you" for the idea. Now the midi to cv... Someone send me a schematic and consider it done.
Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine »

That is a thing of beauty! Ace price too! Do you / are you going to make racks?

I love that Kalimba Kaster too, any idea on how much those are going to be? I play Kalimba, but mine is an old coconut or something.
robot909
robot slave to feline masters

Post by robot909 »

Beautiful craftsmanship! Have you thought about making a line of eurorack "skiffs"? :cloud:
noisejockey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by noisejockey »

Superb and super into 'em. Great work, Dich! Assessing bank account...

And yeah...as Robot909 said, I think you'd have a LOT of interested parties here in Euroskiffs with this kind of vibe and quality...
Parczefal
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Parczefal »

They look awesome! :tu:
Dichstudios
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dichstudios »

Materials for eurorack skiffs will be here within a few days.

Here's what I have set so far:
Solid oak cheeks
3u x 84hp vector rails
50 2.5x6mm screws and nuts included
price...$58 fully assembled

The question is, how do you like your skiffs?
Do you want them to be flat? Able to be set on an angle? Etc..
Is 2 5/8" clearance for modules enough?

looking forward to the input.

I know some were put off by the priority international shipping charges offered,
Just know I'm looking into better options and they should be in place soon.
Currently standard international usps shipping is around $23. I just need to verify that tracking is available and it will be added.
Matos
Modular masturbator

Post by Matos »

Damn! That's a sick price. Well done.
zodiak
Common Wiggler

Post by zodiak »

That's really nice and I agree about having the option of a MIDI out socket would be nice, plus personally I would like 1/4" jack out too because I just prefer them :-)
Dichstudios
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dichstudios »

I agree, 1/4" outs make life a bit easier.

Eurorack:
The materials are in! I will most likely have to start a new thread for these so they don't get lost here.

If you have any ideas on how you would like the skiff to be shaped now is the time.
spoor
Common Wiggler

Post by spoor »

Dichstudios wrote:... I like the idea of a single power jack branching out to each volca, should be pretty easy to make...
Also what I'm looking for. Is this something you'll be adding to the shop soon, do you think?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”