Anyone built the DSO138 DIY digital Oscilloscope

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

qfactor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Anyone built the DSO138 DIY digital Oscilloscope

Post by qfactor » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:23 am

I just bought and built this DIY Oscilloscope and was wondering anyone else has built this too?
Looks like it can be modified to fit into Eurorack sized panel.

Of course it would never be anything close to a fully professional Oscilloscope, but to mount this on a Eurorack to view waveforms would be wonderful!!
Super cheap at USD$24 only!!

DSO138 DIY Oscilloscope
"The 'clockwise' end is the pin that the center wiper connects to when you turn the pot shaft clockwise." - daverj

euromorcego
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by euromorcego » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:41 am

i did. Very easy to solder (with the SMD part already done). My kit had a wrong inductor, so I had to buy a replacement (just a few cent luckily). When I looked in the forum (JYE tech) i noticed that i bought a fake kit ... there seem to be tons of pirated copies out there (http://www.jyetech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=497), but BangGood seems good ;)

anyway, with the correct inductor it worked fine. It is toy, of course ... but it is fun to see the waveforms. The display is surprisingly good. I have just used it a few days, so I don't know how long it will last (but for $20 it was already worth it).

If it keeps working, i'll also think about buying a second one and adapting it to eurorack (it woudn't even need to be a module, as long as i can power it from the case and have a jack to plug things into).

Jack Gull
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jack Gull » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:52 am

i did!
a really nice toy. I got the full kit, had to solder all SMD parts, quite easy.
i've been using it non stop for at least one month. Yeah you could use it as a module (i power it from a 12V source) but you have to adapt it somehow

ClausF
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ClausF » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:54 am

Me too. Use it to se wave forms in Euro and CL gear.
Works very well, but never will build it again, for 7€ more you get it ready soldered...

qfactor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by qfactor » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:56 am

Really?!! It's already so cheap and it's got a pirated version?!
:picard: :eek:

Anyway, it does say that it works "up to" 12VDC. Would that mean its possible to take the Euro's +12V and hook it up on a rack? :yay:
"The 'clockwise' end is the pin that the center wiper connects to when you turn the pot shaft clockwise." - daverj

qfactor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by qfactor » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:58 am

ClausF wrote:Me too. Use it to se wave forms in Euro and CL gear.
Works very well, but never will build it again, for 7€ more you get it ready soldered...
No kidding? €7 more? How's that I didn't see that version?! :despair:
Oh well, in any case, have you used it to calibrate, for example, a vco wave symmetry? Would it be useful for that (besides displaying waveforms only)?

Jack Gull
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jack Gull » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:20 am

naaaah build it again and again.
its purpose is to be a training kit on both soldering and oscilloscopes. That's why the low specs and the REEEEEALLY low price.

and yeah if you keep the [HOLD] button pressed a set of informations about the signal gets displayed
-Vmax
-Vmin
-Vavg
-Vrms
-Frequency
-Period
-Duty Cycle

which is why i decided to drop the 20 on that instead of an ancient analog monster (in terms of space power and functionalities)

Jack Gull
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jack Gull » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:21 am

since you usually need visual feedback that's just the application for it :D

euromorcego
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by euromorcego » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:58 am

qfactor wrote:Really?!! It's already so cheap and it's got a pirated version?!
there are conterfeit versions of almost everything, even metal film resistors. There is some information here to spot fake DSO138 [and I would assume soldered items are not original]: http://www.jyetech.com/Products/LcdScope/e138.php

12V should work fine. You may also add a voltage regulator for 9V . Advantage of the kit is that you could make a nice front panel with the screen and buttons and put the main pcb vertically beneath it. The screen can be wired with a ribbon cable. Then the whole thing is about 16hp. Still quite wide but one can always add some utility (a buffered mult, attenuverter) to use the remaining space.

Chaotic
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chaotic » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:08 am

Me too have built it. I will not use it instead of my old Phillips but for looking at waveform its ok

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:18 am

I have a bunch of these. Someday I'll get around to building them into modules.

Yes, they'll run on 12v, not regulated, all day. For weeks even. For fun I tried 15v also, left it on for a day, the on board regulator barely got warm. When I build it for my 5U modular I'll probably put a 12v regulator on there just to be safe though.

If you want to detach the screen from the pcb you can use a 40 pin ide cable - male to female. I bought a bunch of these on ebay for something like 2$ each. Those 2 extra 2 pin connectors aren't used for anything, they're just mounts.

qfactor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by qfactor » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:32 am

euromorcego wrote:
qfactor wrote:Really?!! It's already so cheap and it's got a pirated version?!
there are conterfeit versions of almost everything, even metal film resistors. There is some information here to spot fake DSO138 [and I would assume soldered items are not original]: http://www.jyetech.com/Products/LcdScope/e138.php

12V should work fine. You may also add a voltage regulator for 9V . Advantage of the kit is that you could make a nice front panel with the screen and buttons and put the main pcb vertically beneath it. The screen can be wired with a ribbon cable. Then the whole thing is about 16hp. Still quite wide but one can always add some utility (a buffered mult, attenuverter) to use the remaining space.

You are right! Even EGGS have been faked in China!! :eek:

I guess it would have to be at least 16hp as the screen has to be wide enough to be seen, eh? :mrgreen:

qfactor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by qfactor » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:53 am

Oh, one other thing, is the micro USB port only used to power the unit or does it do more than that? :hmm:
What about the uArt?

Crashlander42
Common Wiggler

Post by Crashlander42 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:12 pm

I just picked one of these up and put it together today. I may pick one up just to turn into a panel. They're very useful, especially for the price.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:11 am

qfactor wrote:Oh, one other thing, is the micro USB port only used to power the unit or does it do more than that? :hmm:
What about the uArt?
The USB port is optional. It's a pita to solder, and I left it off one of mine and it works fine without it. Power is through a different connection. There's probably some cool things you can do with the USB port, but they're completely undocumented if so. The uArt is easy to solder, but also optional. And it's purpose is also undocumented.

qfactor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by qfactor » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:06 am

sduck wrote:
qfactor wrote:Oh, one other thing, is the micro USB port only used to power the unit or does it do more than that? :hmm:
What about the uArt?
The USB port is optional. It's a pita to solder, and I left it off one of mine and it works fine without it. Power is through a different connection. There's probably some cool things you can do with the USB port, but they're completely undocumented if so. The uArt is easy to solder, but also optional. And it's purpose is also undocumented.
I went ahead and soldered the USB in mine. Figured it would be good for me to practice the "tai-chi" of holding my breath while soldering all those tiny pins with millimeters between each pin!!

From what I picked up in the forum, these 2 ports could be used to update the firmware (IF there is a new one coming up!) :roll:

Jack Gull
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jack Gull » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:17 am

nope because there are so many counterfeits that the new software won't be released as an update and you would have to buy a new board

i hope it will be possible to use the usb as data logger like in the dso068

qfactor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by qfactor » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:59 am

Managed to test my unit mounted with the 10-pin Euro power connector! :yay: And it works!!

bensaddiction
Common Wiggler

Post by bensaddiction » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:02 pm

Has anybody completed the DSO 068 version?

http://www.jyetech.com/Products/LcdScope/e068.php

I really only need a scope to calibrate VCO/LFOs

SoundPool
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SoundPool » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:10 am

I have been looking at these as an option for a cheap scope. I just need super basic functionality for some calibration stuff- nothing overly sensitive or critical. seems to fit the bill. only thing is the probe is so bulky with the gator clip. anyone have any cheap probe upgrade recommendations? or maybe just stick some cut resistor legs in there?

falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

Post by falafelbiels » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:44 pm

I ordered one last week. Perhaps later this week you can check it out. clamping a resistor clipping for a probe certainly is an idea.

qfactor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by qfactor » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:00 pm

falafelbiels wrote:I ordered one last week. Perhaps later this week you can check it out. clamping a resistor clipping for a probe certainly is an idea.
Or get a pair of multimeter probes and a BNC connector and modify it for the DSO? :despair:

diablojoy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diablojoy » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:12 am

Figured I may as well order one
building an MI module tester up at the moment so I might stick it in the same case, could be ok for a rough visual aid
certainly more portable then my ancient bwd scope :lol:
It probably wont happen today but if it does it definitely wont go smoothly.

qfactor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by qfactor » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:47 am

diablojoy wrote:Figured I may as well order one
building an MI module tester up at the moment so I might stick it in the same case, could be ok for a rough visual aid
certainly more portable then my ancient bwd scope :lol:
That's a great idea putting them all together!! The all-in-one test box!! :tu: :tu:

SmartBits
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SmartBits » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:37 am

qfactor wrote:all together!! The all-in-one test box!! :tu: :tu:
You could even add the Horstronic cable tester!

Return to “Music Tech DIY”