Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:04 am

Well, I have been kicking this around for a while and I thought I would get a little input feedback from you guys. Basically I have taken a Innofader and dropped it into a module. Pics of the prototype. Pages of the manual that I had started forever ago too.

Last edited by Flatscan on Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: undoing the damage

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CF3 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:42 am

:yay: Soooo awesome. I swear it's like you're reading my mind. I've been toying with the idea of using the inno fader for years. This plus a multi-channel mixer with two assignable busses in a skiff would make an incredible performance controller. As always... well done sir :sb:

nearly ghost
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nearly ghost » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:29 pm

This looks really cool!

Flohr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flohr » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:32 pm

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!

This looks killer. Another thing from the DJ world I've been dreaming of in Euro would be momentary/latching kill switches. So I guess that would be a similar design except it would be just on or off instead of a fader. I've used mixers that have that on the EQ (low mid and hi cut usually) and it's awesome.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:38 pm

Wow! Exactly what I was thinking my Sampleslicer setup needs. Excellent idea.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Bogus
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Bogus » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:37 pm

I'd buy that

VanEck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by VanEck » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:29 pm

I'd definitely buy this with live performance in mind. Throwing money at my screen right now.

Would the faders be replaceable though? I've seen many go bad on dj mixers and midi controllers in the past... it's a nice convenience to be able to swap them out with a replacement when necessary.
DISHEVELED -- PROMETHEUS BURNING

SysEx Dumpster Podcast - modular, gear, and other garbage

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:51 pm

VanEck wrote:
Would the faders be replaceable though? I've seen many go bad on dj mixers and midi controllers in the past... it's a nice convenience to be able to swap them out with a replacement when necessary.
Ooo, very good point. I will need to make a mental note to make it very easy to do so. It is now, but I would want to simplify the process even more. Thank you for the input. Anyone else have any other suggestions? I tried to cover all of the meat and potatoes of operation, but I imagine others have more ideas. The VCA's have straight off and on switches as was suggested earlier. Thanks guys for the input.
Last edited by Flatscan on Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

HIMA
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by HIMA » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:22 am

Punch phrasing in euro with a slider! :omg:
The Book of Bad Ideas - A compendium of knowledge from Muffs. Download it here: http://bit.ly/1oz2zaI

meatbeatz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by meatbeatz » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:30 am

This is something I've wanted to see for ages. Nice!

PM33AUD
Destroyer of BSP

Post by PM33AUD » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:44 am

Just a ton of comments/questions...

1) What part of the module is digitally controllable? Are the VCAs driven by a DAC? If so, what is the effective resolution of control? I know with very nice (and longer) faders, settability is much improved so a quantised control may have steppiness when moved slowly?

2) Is this intended for audio or CV use? What law would the fade action follow (is this entirely 'curve' dependent)? Would this law shape interact at all with the cut in point (where would the centre be placed?).

3) What is the expected DC error?

It looks like a cool concept. I'd think the curve stuff may be a more set and forget thing. I'd also think a continuously adjustable curve isn't really needed. I could probably get away with just a couple jumper settings on the back. But I guess if it's no additional space/complexity, may as well leave it.

Summa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Summa » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:43 pm

:tu: I like it! but yeah curved could be just a switch between two lin/log and add a mixing section if possible? I mean you could probably just add a mixer next to this unit but if it had a selection of say 2 or more inputs on each channel it'd be even better.. or maybe I totally miss the point of all this? :hmm:

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:02 pm

I smoothed out the steps from the inofader's DAC using vactrols for the VCA's, so they are smooth as silk. The CV outs however are stepped. I have worked it out with quantization to be musical, but mostly for scratching it is not needed.

This is intended for both audio and CV use. Seperately and simultaneously. The VCA's are for audio and the CV's out are for outputting into other modules. I am trying to make it a straight down the middle hybrid. Eurorack people should feel right at home and hopefully so should DJ's.

DC error varies with curve and cut in. Overall I would say it is acceptable. Could there be improvements, sure, I hope to keep refining it.

Believe it or not, the curve and cut in are very useful as accessible knobs/pots. The real advantage is when you are scratching an Osc. The curve gives you expression by changing the frequency at which you are moving the fader back and forth. Cut in does the same and it will limit the response of the fader based on how far you throw the fader. More based on how you as the individual perform. Turntablist's would be more at home with these features than eurorack peeps, but that is kinda the point. Sounds a bit convoluted, I will have to shoot a video showing it more in action.

Yes, more audio inputs for the VCA's make sense. I had just run out of panel space, but if this would truly be a live module set up, maybe a few expansion headers allowing for more I/O? Core module and expansion modules based on your current live needs?

Thank you for the comments. This helps me try and understand what everyone is going to need for a performance type of set up.

Matos
Modular masturbator

Post by Matos » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:16 pm

I wouldd love to see a demo of is oscilkator scratching. I'm thinking this paired with a mutable frames could be a real interesting module.

DwellerOnTheThreshold
Common Wiggler

Post by DwellerOnTheThreshold » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:44 pm

Just saw this on Modular Grid and started drooling before I even read about the CV out. This looks incredible and I would definitely buy. Can't wait to see what the final product becomes.

+1 for wanting to hear demos, as well as wanting to pair it with the sampleslicer (or two...might need to buy another from Jan).

:yay: Very excited. Nicely done, Chris! :hail:
That gum you like is going to come back into style.

https://soundcloud.com/giant-walk-with-me
My Rig: http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/101004

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:54 pm

I'd love one of these! I have a 114hp black panelled set of modules as my controller and this would be awesome! I'd also like to do a video if grabbing one becomes a possibility.
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo

lamouette/rck
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lamouette/rck » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:43 am

Really interresting, would like to get one too.

Any wait to get a gate/trigger out, when the curve is at maximum cut ?

like scratching can trig envellope or drum...
Setup is never done.

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:30 am

Thanks guys for the comments. Kinda have my life's blood into this.

Gate out is a great idea. Maybe when the reverse switch is thrown the gate out becomes inverted, so at absolutely no cut in it triggers too? I could see a round robin approach as you are performing more scratch routines.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Gate out. Thank you for that suggestion :tu:

lamouette/rck
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lamouette/rck » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:39 pm

Yes, one gate out each side of the cross (Gate A/Gate B), and one other gate out when the cross is set at middle (Gate C), Then, a switch to choose that when the cross is at middle it send a gate : Gate C / GateAB / or no Gate.

Could be fun to trigger one envellope for each side and a common when centered :D

This totaly the kind of module i am waiting for my future modular !

If i can help you in any way, (Depending on what you need), Ask me !
Last edited by lamouette/rck on Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Setup is never done.

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:43 pm

Yep, I like the sound of that! :banana:
Great idea!

borris_yeltzun
Common Wiggler

Post by borris_yeltzun » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:47 am

Could you possibly offer a jumper for 0-1V CV input ranges, for LZX video system integration ???

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:02 pm

Maybe a dedicated breakout header for LZX. I have the basic set of LZX, so I can test it and see. Lots of great ideas from the Synthtopia post too. Phono inputs with ground make sense, but that might be a break out too. Lots of options to think about.

Setherian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Setherian » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:22 pm

come on buddy, release it!!! :miley:

guestt

Post by guestt » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:33 pm

Awesome - yes please :) :tu:

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:36 pm

Pairs nicely with a X0X-Heart! Honestly there have only been 8-10 guys who have contacting me since putting it out. No real sense in building these with those kind of numbers, but I will give those 8-10 guys some real props as they know a good thing when they see it. Just will take a few years before it really will catch on.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”