The awesome Moon 569 sequencer modified to be even better!

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

JohnLRice

The awesome Moon 569 sequencer modified to be even better!

Post by JohnLRice »

I'll do a good demo soon but I successfully installed transposition disable switches for rows 3 and 4 so now I have the 569 transposing itself!

Here is a pic of the switches on either side of the input jack:

And here is a quick iPad demo. Note that row 4 is transposing rows 1 - 3 and running at 1/8 the speed.
Last edited by JohnLRice on Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Hamburglar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by The Hamburglar »

Sick!
kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost »

Well done JLR

I tried to embed a video but - no soap.

Here is a link

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice »

Here's a better quick demo:

[video][/video]

Besides the M569 sequencer the modules/effects used in this video are:
Synth Tech MOTM: four 300 VCOs, one 440 VCF, one 800 EG, one 380 LFO
Moon Modular: 526 mixer
Modcan: 53B clock
Happy Nerding: Fun VCF (on the bass line)
Strymon: Mobius, Big Sky

Thank you for watching!

For those who are brave and might ask how to do the modifications . . . . .

WARNING: the following instructions are NOT for beginners or someone who is inexperienced in doing panel/circuit modifications and PCB rework. Attempting this will definitely void your warranty! If done incorrectly you could cause your 569 to operate poorly or become totally inoperative and useless. I am presenting these instructions based on my own experience but I take no responsibility for their completeness or correctness and if you attempt this you agree to make no attempt to hold me responsible if it doesn't work out. Also, Moon Modular, their dealers and distributors will also not be held responsible for end user damages caused by modification attempts. Note that this modification has only been briefly tested for less than a day and only by myself on an older revision of the PCBs so unexpected problems with using this modification may arise in the future.

I'll just give the basics, if you aren't sure what to do from the following description you probably shouldn't be attempting this! ;-)

1) At a minimum remove the main PCB and clock PCB (removing ALL parts from the front panel is recommended)

2) Add a switch to the front panel for row 4 and optionally add a switch for row 3 also.

3) On the main PCB, lift the end of R27 that connects to IC9. This is row 4's transpose input and optionally do the same for R36 which is row 3's transpose input.

4) Connect wires to the ends of resistors and also to the solder pads the resistors were previously attached to and connect to the new SPDT switches. Connect the resistor's wire to the switch's pole and the solder pad's wire to one of the switch's throws.

5) Connect a wire from a ground point to the other throw of the switches.

6) Reassemble and test

There are some related pictures on my Instagram page http://instagram.com/imjohnlrice
JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice »

Thanks The Hamburglar and kindredlost! 8_)
kindredlost wrote:Well done JLR

I tried to embed a video but - no soap.

Here is a link

Thanks, you beat me! :hihi: I kept trying to get the video embed to work also . . . either it's not implemented yet or the original implementation is being revised? :hmm:
sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck »

Video embedding is currently still borked. Give it a few days before it gets back up - Mike is on a business trip, and trying to do what he can to fix things remotely, but somethings will have to wait until he's back at home.
Chrutil
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chrutil »

Wow this is awesome! Nice job!
Very clever feature, and I love the video - the music is great!! Very "Richard Band - PuppetMaster'ish".
I'll definitely have to think about adding something like this to my sequencer...
alternating.bit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by alternating.bit »

Several questions I'm hoping you can help me with:

1) can't such a transposition be done with a quantizer/quantizer aid?
2) how did you get the text "transpose" on the faceplate?
3) have you shared this with the folks @ Moon? I'm curious what they'd think.
JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice »

alternating.bit wrote:1) can't such a transposition be done with a quantizer/quantizer aid?
Yes, if the quantizer has a transpose input.
alternating.bit wrote:2) how did you get the text "transpose" on the faceplate?
It was already there! 8_) The Moon 569 comes with the labeled Transpose input jack and functionality already built in. The stock 569 transposes all 4 rows the same though. I wanted to be able to use row #4 to transpose rows 1 - 3 but since plugging the CV out of row 4 into the Transpose input also transposed row 4, it created sort of an infinite loop where all rows instantly went out of hearing range! :doh: My modification only added the two unlabeled switches next to the existing Transpose jack. The switches disconnect the transpose CV from rows 3 and/or 4.
alternating.bit wrote:3) have you shared this with the folks @ Moon? I'm curious what they'd think.
Oh yeah! I might not have gotten this figured out without Gert's help! :tu: I started wishing that the 569 has separate Transpose inputs for each row and then it came to me that I only really needed to disconnect row 4 from the transpose input if possible. I asked Gert and he said it was possible and I would just need to disconnect a resistor and add a switch to connect/disconnect it. I did some circuit tracing from the Transpose jack in, until I thought I had found the correct resistors and then Gert confirmed I was right and gave me some additional information and tips. I did the mods and it worked! :party: :sb:

FYI: Take a look at the Q119. On the left hand side there is an input jack labeled Add Input and an Add knob. This is your transpose input! :tu:
alternating.bit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

You cease to amaze, John. :tu:
And thanks for the Q119 tip! But exactly what type of input would you 'add'? An LFO? How would that properly transpose without sliding around, so to speak? Thanks
JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice »

alternating.bit wrote:You cease to amaze, John. :tu:
:hmm: You are no longer amazed by me?? :cry: :deadbanana: :hihi:
And thanks for the Q119 tip! But exactly what type of input would you 'add'? An LFO? How would that properly transpose without sliding around, so to speak? Thanks
Like either from a keyboard or another sequencer etc. :tu:

Edit: or if you want sort of a random transposition you could put an LFO through a quantizer and clock it with a slow clock.
Last edited by JohnLRice on Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alternating.bit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

JohnLRice wrote:
alternating.bit wrote:You cease to amaze, John. :tu:
:hmm: You are not longer amazed by me?? :cry: :deadbanana: :hihi:
OOPS!! I think you know I meant to say you NEVER cease to amaze me!! LOL
alternating.bit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

JohnLRice wrote:Edit: or if you want sort of a random transposition you could put an LFO through a quantizer and clock it with a slow clock.
This is so interesting!!
I don't believe my MFOS 16-step has this transpose feature! Can't wait for the Q119 to arrive.
JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice »

FYI: I made a YouTube playlist that contains all four of my videos that demonstrate the Moon Modular 569 sequencer controlling itself in various ways:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pAMy0e ... 5cQC9HvI1g
davebr
Veteran Wiggler

M569 Sequencer Transpose Modifications

Post by davebr »

I thought I would make these modifications to mine but I have a later M569 that uses SIP resistors in this area of the circuitry. The transpose runs are on the rear of the PCB so I simply cut the runs to rows 3 and 4 and added square pin shunts. I am in the process of building a M569 Companion Module for some clocking options and will likely add the switches on that panel.

[EDIT - I finished the M569 Companion Module and added the switches for rows 3 and 4 on it]

So, with all the same caveats that John posted ...

The red outlined area is the transpose circuitry.

This image shows the transpose runs and SIP resistor pins (circled). I did not map out which pins were the row 1 and row 2 transpose.

This image shows the cuts and the shunts I added.

This image is a side view of the shunts.

Nice mod, John. Thanks for posting this.
- Dave
Last edited by davebr on Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice »

Excellent additional info and pictures, Dave! :tu:
AnalogBastard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by AnalogBastard »

Not sure what's cooler, the mod or that great sounding demo :tu:
JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice »

AnalogBastard wrote:Not sure what's cooler, the mod or that great sounding demo :tu:
Thank you kind sir! 8_)
JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice »

Here are the series of Instagram pictures I took during the modification:

Tracing the Transpose input to determine which resistors feed the individual channels

Since I was impatient I only removed the fewest boards/parts from the front panel before drilling :eek: NOT recommended! :roll: I do recommend removing absolutely everything off of the front panel as it will make measuring and drilling more accurate and also reduce the risk of doing accidental damaging to the PCBs (although removing everything would be a lot of work and getting it all back together again could be challenging)

New Transpose disable switches installed and wires attached

View from front with clock board re-installed

Instead of wiring the switches directly to the main PCB I did the wiring in two halves with MTA connectors to mate them. This makes reassembly and future disassembly easier in addition to looking a little neater since a really long piece of wire wasn't needed

Wires attached to the main board. The resistors were desoldered and lifted at one end (resistors now hidden underneath black heat shrink tubing)
Mark11Audio
Veteran Wiggler

Re: M569 Sequencer Transpose Modifications

Post by Mark11Audio »

davebr wrote:I thought I would make these modifications to mine but I have a later M569 that uses SIP resistors in this area of the circuitry. The transpose runs are on the rear of the PCB so I simply cut the runs to rows 3 and 4 and added square pin shunts. I am in the process of building a M569 Companion Module for some clocking options and will likely add the switches on that panel.

[EDIT - I finished the M569 Companion Module and added the switches for rows 3 and 4 on it]

So, with all the same caveats that John posted ...

The red outlined area is the transpose circuitry.

This image shows the transpose runs and SIP resistor pins (circled). I did not map out which pins were the row 1 and row 2 transpose.

This image shows the cuts and the shunts I added.

This image is a side view of the shunts.

Nice mod, John. Thanks for posting this.
- Dave
Hi Dave,

You and I need to talk... :mrgreen:

I think my M569 is of the newer version as well... and I definitely want to do the mod as it is so musical in it's application... I saw your website page (thanks to JLR sharing the link... it appears to have a little different circuitry and your approach to the mod was also a little bit more...

so awesome... :yay:

Mark
Eric the Red
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Eric the Red »

This sounds sooo cool. Great sounding tunes, it reminds me of Castlevanis.

-Eric
JohnLRice
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: The awesome Moon 569 sequencer modified to be even better!

Post by JohnLRice »

OK, I know some folks don't like deep necro bumps, but it makes sense to me to keep all of this related info in one thread. :mrgreen: :sstorm:

Last May I decided to do the "569 transpose mod" to my second 569 and I did it a little different than the first one I did. This time the switch that disconnects row 4 from the Transpose input also routes row 4's CV output to the main transpose input so with the flip of a switch I can start transposing without patching anything. I also used headers on the main board and a silly amount of MTA connectors :eek: mainly so I can easily take things apart again if needed.

I'll post a diagram I just made of how it's laid out because I recently noticed I ran a ground reference wire to a wrong point :doh: and it was confusing to look at so I made the diagram to make sure I understood my own modification! :oops: I'll also post a demo and images i had previously posted on Instagram.

JLRsMoonModular569SequencerTranspositionModificationVersion2BlockDiagram.png

JLRsMoonModular569SequencerTranspositionModificationVersion2_TightSwitches.png
JLRsMoonModular569SequencerTranspositionModificationVersion2_TightJacks.png
JLRsMoonModular569SequencerTranspositionModificationVersion2_TightSwitches_2.png
JLRsMoonModular569SequencerTranspositionModificationVersion2_Headers_1.png
JLRsMoonModular569SequencerTranspositionModificationVersion2_Headers_2.png
JLRsMoonModular569SequencerTranspositionModificationVersion2_Headers_3.png
JLRsMoonModular569SequencerTranspositionModificationVersion2_Headers_4.png
JLRsMoonModular569SequencerTranspositionModificationVersion2_MultiConnector.png
Please Watch My YouTube Videos! :hug: https://www.youtube.com/JohnLRice
YouTube now puts ads on my videos and I get no monies until I reach the minimum hours viewed! :mad: :cry:

Return to “5U Format Modules”