Remix/ReMangle" Challenge is Closed. Now to work on the file management, uploading, playlist, voting thread, etc. Thanks to all that participated. Get ready to vote!

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series OR Eurorack3U)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Challenge rules and format thread is here.

Quad Patternizer DONE!

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

Quad Patternizer DONE!

Post by falafelbiels » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:49 pm

Good news for me, I can finally stop working on my Quad Patternizers because they are DONE :party:
Well we will see about that but I have built up a unit from the latest board run and it works like a Oompa Loompa, they work good!

I have explained the workings of it here and there and I should really gather all that info somewhere, but for now I will just place this video by Allert from Sonar Traffic here. More explanation is in this here thread where I try to sell a couple of board sets so people who are interested can build one for themselves. I will just copy some stuff from that thread.

[video][/video]

What is it then?

It is a Quad Patternizer, a 20hp, 4 channel clock divider with four divider stages (n/2, n/4, n/8 and n/16) per channel, that can be turned on and off manually with pushbutton controls or with external gates/ triggers.
The outputs of these dividers don't overlap and when all stages are active, the clock is simply passed on to the output.
Furthermore it makes a very nice switchable sub- oscillator.
But I use it mainly as a pattern generator, sending in the masterclock and using arbitrary trigger signals to switch on and off divider stages. I like the stuff it outputs driving my percussive voices and sequencers.

This shows the output order for the 4 divider stages. Note that th cd4089 leaves out 1 pulse in every 16 pulses when all stages are active. I used to just live with this but on the latest Patternizer models I have fixed it with extra logic circuitry (cd4012 and cd4052). So when all stages are active, it now simply passes on the inputted clock signal.

Like the Spaeterneisa before, I'd like to sell some board sets to people who are interested in building it. Of course I don't mind making some money back on the work I have done on these and the people I have burdened with a unit have so far enjoyed using them. Some bad news though:

This is a 5 PCB set, nigh full on SMD, no simple project. I wouldn't advise this as a first soldering project, nor as a first SMD project.

On the red transparent unit I have used SMD LEDs, I kind of like the effect. The PCB has pads for SMD LEDs between the pushbuttons as well as footprints for through hole LEDs on the right hand side of them.
I have to do some work on the panel design for 5mm LEDs, but 5mm just doesn't seem to be a convenient choice. They are not only thick but also somewhat high, not nice when swiping buttons.
The white unit in the top picture uses 3mm cylindrical LEDS (flat top) which are nicely flush with the panel. All LED current limiting resistors are on the backside of the PCB so they can be swapped if the LED brightness is not to your liking.

Only one of the four (green) Brainboards needs to have the power header and associated electro cap and bead/ small resitor installed, power is transferred through the red panelcomponent board.

The pushbuttons used are kind of pricey but the action is rather nice, one can swipe a row of buttons and all will smoothly switch. I think they look really good too.
they can be found here

Oh, and ignore those two white 2 pin headers on the left brainboard, that was a bad idea that actually works badly too. They were supposed to cascade the clock and reset signals but cascading the reset is a bad idea anyway. Cascading the clock is taken care of by the panelcomponent-board.

Right now I have 3 PCB sets that are not spoken for, who is in?
I am thinking 55 euro for the PCB set and 10 euro for a panel.

And for some more bad news, I have some issue with Paypal and although I can receive your money there, I can't use it because they have suspended my account (long boring story involving lots of bureaucracy and no cooperation)
Right now I prefer international bank transfer.

So apart from that,
who's in?

=================================

Complete BOMs can be found at FALAFULAR
Attachments
Brainboard 0.3 BOM.pdf
(36.87 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
Last edited by falafelbiels on Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

Post by falafelbiels » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:12 pm

By the way it works GREAT with the Bunch-a-Klix
Toggling divider stages using arbitrary clocks really makes a Patternizer come alive.

adnauseam
Ultra Wiggler

Hey..

Post by adnauseam » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:29 pm

Plans or possibilities of a NON-SMT diy module? I'm sure 80% of diyers would rather not deal with SMT.

How many of us actually have a reflow station? probably very few.

adnauseam
Ultra Wiggler

Hey..

Post by adnauseam » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:29 pm

Really cool! Looks like a lot of fun could be had. Algorithmic!

Plans or possibilities of a NON-SMT diy module? I'm sure 80% of diyers would rather not deal with SMT.

How many of us actually have a reflow station? probably very few.

medbot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by medbot » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:48 am

Nah, SMT is really easy once you give it a try, and I've never run into anything that needed any special tools or equipment other than my normal iron. They're a fair bit faster too since you don't have to place parts, flip the board, crimp the leads, snip the leads, then solder. This module seems really cool, you've got just about everything for a fun drum row.

sammy123
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sammy123 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:41 am

Nice. I can't wait to build this one along with my Bunch-a-Klix.

grilojoe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by grilojoe » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:34 am

If it helps to get these stocked at Synthcube, you can can count me as interested (along with the Bunch-a-klix & bunch-a-klox) :mrgreen:

falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

Post by falafelbiels » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:13 am

We're back!

sammy123

Well the boards are on their way so....

grilojoe

Since I had only a few boards I will have to reorder some, if only to build some complete units. Would be great to have these up at Synthcube yeah, we'll see if Chris is interested. Furthermore, the Bunch-a-Klox and the Bunch-a-Klix have a lot of overlap. Having both is a bit of overkill (unless of course you need many many Patternizers for instance). I only have one Bunch-a-Klix in my system, feeding a Quad Patternizer and two Spaeterneisa.

grilojoe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by grilojoe » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:40 am

falafelbiels wrote: grilojoe

Since I had only a few boards I will have to reorder some, if only to build some complete units. Would be great to have these up at Synthcube yeah, we'll see if Chris is interested. Furthermore, the Bunch-a-Klox and the Bunch-a-Klix have a lot of overlap. Having both is a bit of overkill (unless of course you need many many Patternizers for instance). I only have one Bunch-a-Klix in my system, feeding a Quad Patternizer and two Spaeterneisa.
Okay. I get it. Just read the (newly restored!) entries on the klix & klox. :doh: Thanks Felafelbiels!

falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

Post by falafelbiels » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:55 pm

Trying to add the second BOM but the forum seems a iffy tonight.

PM me if you would like to have documents.

Just ordered some new boards at a new board house, fingers crosssed!

falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

Post by falafelbiels » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:53 pm

Hmmm...

inconveniently, it seems I am unable to upload anything anymore.
Will get on somebody's ass about that website of mine....

:agonizer:

medbot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by medbot » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:59 pm

Do you have a webstore or anything where you sell some of your stuff, or is it just through the forum? I know synthcube sells some of your drum modules, but they don't have any of these other projects. It'd be cool to be able to look at them all in one central place so I could plan which ones to get in the future :bacon:

falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

Post by falafelbiels » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:12 pm

Yeah well there is someone working on a site for me, but it doesn't really function very well yet.
I need to have BOMs and samples and better pictures up there.

klik

meanwhile I have been talking to Chris from Synthcube about this indeed, but no PCBs have crossed the seas yet. Metal panels would be good to have for sure.

falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

Post by falafelbiels » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:49 pm

How bout this for now?

the links don't work too good but don't worry!

GO! buttons

small pushbutton, 13mm stem

falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

Post by falafelbiels » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:03 pm

Okay BOMs are up on FALAFULAR

:party:

flab
Veteran Wiggler

Post by flab » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:22 pm

great man , again nice pixels,love thesite , the green letters over the gray backround make me pay more attention on what i read , Also i think instead of bunch a klix you have the klox in the picture

falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

Post by falafelbiels » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:14 pm

flab wrote:great man , again nice pixels,love thesite , the green letters over the gray backround make me pay more attention on what i read , Also i think instead of bunch a klix you have the klox in the picture
Thanks, yeah that bunch a klix is actually a bunch a klox indeed. Should be fixed soon.
I wish I knew how to do that stuff myself but I really don't get along with computers too well...

flab
Veteran Wiggler

Post by flab » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:56 pm

mouser bom - project notes as well with links for headers and switches , i added jacks as well just in case . NO led ' s so you can choose your color http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/Pr ... 7441d1b66f

falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

Post by falafelbiels » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:10 pm

flab wrote:mouser bom - project notes as well with links for headers and switches , i added jacks as well just in case . NO led ' s so you can choose your color http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/Pr ... 7441d1b66f
Very very cool Petros, thanks for doing this!

The 16 cool pushbuttons aren't on there, Mouser never stocks them.

Hmmm, it seems they do after all, strangely listed somehow and a bit more expensive than Digikey...

http://ca.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=320.02

Take a long hard look at the description before you order. 09 instead of 08 in the part number means it has a bigger diameter cap, won't work.

Find them at digikey

http://www.digikey.nl/product-search/en ... ageSize=25

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:47 pm

its on its way--- the clarke robinson panel for the quad patternizer!

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/2SynthCube

synthcube webstore www.synthcube.com/cart
music from outer space: www.musicfromouterspace.com
blacet research: www.blacet.com
MOTM DIY Analog Synthesizers: www.motmsynthesizers.com
music from outer space euro smt: www.mfoseuro.com

grilojoe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by grilojoe » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:17 am

synthcube wrote:its on its way--- the clarke robinson panel for the quad patternizer!

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:
Say, that's pretty nice! :party:

falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

Post by falafelbiels » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:53 pm

It sure is!

:miley:

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:03 am

the pcb sets and the pcb/panel combinations are now in the store:

falafular quad patternizer bundle

enjoy!
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/2SynthCube

synthcube webstore www.synthcube.com/cart
music from outer space: www.musicfromouterspace.com
blacet research: www.blacet.com
MOTM DIY Analog Synthesizers: www.motmsynthesizers.com
music from outer space euro smt: www.mfoseuro.com

falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

Post by falafelbiels » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:36 pm

:goo:

oberkorn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oberkorn » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:24 am

I have to admit I like your original panel better :)
you have to pay for the music but the noise is free

Return to “Music Tech DIY”