Friends for Sid

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

a scanner darkly

Friends for Sid

Post by a scanner darkly »

Finally I have a Sid! (the custom Sid that was built by zilaihong for Dude) Haven't even patched it yet, just having a good time playing it unpatched for now, other than using the touchable nodes with my palm.

What are your favorite pedals / effects for Sid? This is more of a "share interesting experiences" question, so anything goes, looking for some inspiration and to push me in some (not obvious for me) directions.

I've got some cool results putting it through the Ravish Sitar so far but that duo needs more time investment to research fully, but thinking something like HOG/POG would be interesting too, anybody tried that?

And now I want all those pedals I kinda passed on, like the Red Panda Particle, since I was mostly concentrating on rack stuff but I'm really getting into having several small setups instead of one big one, and using it to come up with interesting pairings which are to be swapped periodically (inspired in large part by the ever changing Dude's set up), so all the things like pedals that I ignored are back on the radar.

And yeah, I need to get a Cocoquantus again at some point, but can't financially do that yet...

diasporos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by diasporos »

Electro harmonix Freeze is my favorite. Cheap and incredible at sustaining your notes of choice so you can keep a drone going at will.

I also love the Copilot FX CARACOL -an octave up fuzz with an extra input that acts as a ring mod. I patch one side of the Sid to the main input and the other to the ringmod input. Crazy sweet.

Also Snazzy FX Tracer City for cv controlled envelope follower bass tone goodness.

Lots more.
Order out of nothingness.
Hainbach
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hainbach »

I love the Strymon Timeline with it. I feel it does need stereo FX, as I love the natural ambience it has.
a scanner darkly

Yep, right now it's going Sidrassi -> BugBrand CrossOver filter (some really sweet tones when overdriving it) -> Ravish Sitar -> Timeline.

Re: Snazzy FX, I imagine Wow and Flutter would also be great with Sid. And I want to hear what Mini Ark would do to it. I'm kinda lusting after all the Snazzy FX pedals actually...
mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor »

Stereo fx good, for my last session I had one side going to midfi pitch pirate then neunaber wet mono, the other to earthquaker sea machine then afterneath. So basically two totally different chorus reverb chains.

My neunaber wet stereo is playing up, need to send it off, I have used most of the reverb, chorus & delay algorithms and they are all winners.

Other stuff
Particle
Cheap behringer harmony pedal is nice
Freeze & superego
Lofi junky
Pearl oc-07
Carl Martin tremovibe is really nice

I really want to try out earthquaker pitchbay & some of the catalinbread vibe pedals.
Latest release - https://glassreservoir.bandcamp.com/alb ... ns-fusings

Slippery Clock - clockwork controlled modular synth Slippery Clock

http://www.dirchblewn.com
asteroid anxiety
Common Wiggler

Post by asteroid anxiety »

Sidrassi + Space is almost endless. T-Resonator also good.
diasporos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by diasporos »

a scanner darkly wrote:Yep, right now it's going Sidrassi -> BugBrand CrossOver filter (some really sweet tones when overdriving it) -> Ravish Sitar -> Timeline.

Re: Snazzy FX, I imagine Wow and Flutter would also be great with Sid. And I want to hear what Mini Ark would do to it. I'm kinda lusting after all the Snazzy FX pedals actually...
I'm a Snazzy FX supporter myself. The only one that I haven't loved is the Mini Ark. Sold mine. It's 'too square wave' and squealy, doesn't track well and didn't like it with the Sid. The Wow and Flutter though.. amazing!
wednesdayayay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wednesdayayay »

How is tracer city?
I am really thinking about some kind of envelope follower but I only have CL and standalone equipment so euro is out.
T resonator or tracer city seem like they would be great fun
I really just want some extra filters so I don't have to use the gongs as filters on the PB
sh is the sound of data
bobo is the gesture

PB
wednesdayayay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wednesdayayay »

Hmm seems like an avdog should work perfectly as an envelope follower

Gray out from coco should work to ripple the avdog then the orange out is essentially the cv to control a filter.

Makes me think I me be a dumb dumb for not thinking of it before
sh is the sound of data
bobo is the gesture

PB
diasporos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by diasporos »

wednesdayayay wrote:How is tracer city?
I am really thinking about some kind of envelope follower but I only have CL and standalone equipment so euro is out.
I really just want some extra filters so I don't have to use the gongs as filters on the PB
Tracer City is seriously good. Very warm filter and snappy envelope following , an LFO, different filter modes, and it makes the Sid blast out brassy chords like nothing else. I'm torn though, as the T Res is also amazing -plus it's compact (Tracer City is huuge) and it has more features like stereo input/outputs, gnarly feedback abilities and FM. If I were to pick a companion to the Sid, I'd go with the T Res just because of the extra features. Tracer City sounds fatter though..
mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor »

wednesdayayay wrote:How is tracer city?
Just aquired a jealous heart, had one & sold it to help fund PB, really great filter and banana patch able :tu:

T res is a great bit of kit & stereo ( sold mine :waah: )

a scanner darkly

Some great ideas here, thank you!

Interesting about the Mini Arc. Have anybody tried Sid with something like EH HOG/POG? I'm tempted to get the new EH Pitch Fork and see how well it works. I tried using the euro Patch Chord but it freaks out on Sid sounds (which while kinda cool in itself is not what I was looking for).

I know I asked about pedals and such but this thread gives me some ideas to try with the euro case sitting next to the Sidrassi. I've got the ADDAC Filterbank, so 8 envelope followers, what I should try is put Sid through the Erbe-Verb and then modulate it with the ADDAC env followers. And now I want to try Sid through ShapeShifter in the vocoder mode.
mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor »

Pitch fork looks interesting and reasonably cheap. My pearl octave does great octave up, down & 2 octaves down but really want to play with some of the harmonies.

a scanner darkly

Patched it through the ADDAC Filterbank yesterday with the envelope followers controlling a bunch of other things including Braids meta mode - lovely crazy stuff coming out. And it feels pretty much as immediately playable as the Sid itself, just lovely using those barres to open a filter or control reverb size and stuff like that.

I should compare it to patching the press and release nodes directly, but with the Filterbank it's neat that the effect changes as you pitch the Sidrassi up or down.

Will try to record and post something.
a scanner darkly

Here is a track with Sidrassi going through the BugBrand CrossOver Filter and Strymon Timeline, and also going into euro - ADDAC Filterbank and Echophon, but there is also Braids in Flute mode going through Erbe-Verb, and everything is partially modulated by the envelopes coming out of the Filterbank, so Sid essentially imparts its soul onto the whole patch.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/172766974" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]

Starting to think I want to get a small compressor/limiter pedal as Sidrassi's range can be huge. Any recommendations?
phisynth
banana nabab

Post by phisynth »

^^a very nice piece :yay:
Hainbach
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hainbach »

As I mentioned in my amplificating a Sid for headphones thread, a Kaoss Pad Mini 2 is rather nice, at least when jamming out on the go. I spent hours on the train today playing the Sidrax through it, using it touchyness to add times echoes and spaces. Really good integration with the playing style of the Sid.

Of course I had to demo the instrument to little kids and other passengers, great fun! Put smiles on their faces.

The Kaoss Pad can also record sessions, though I need to pick up an SD card and have not tried it yet this way.
Hainbach
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hainbach »

@a scanner darkly: Nice piece!
Regarding compressors:I think Tom of Bugbrand was selling a DBX desktop compressor in B/S/T. Might just be just the thing for you.
a scanner darkly

Thanks guys!

Yeah, Kaoss Pad seems like it would be a good buddy as well, not just for Sid but for shnth. I like the fact that both invite gestures and different gestures at that. And the matching form factor.

DBX might be an overkill, just looking for something that would tame Sid a bit without taking away the dynamics too much. Perhaps a limiter would work better?
Kalerne
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kalerne »

i just got a cheap MXR Blue Box: woah !
it adds very nice uncertain texture and makes the Sidrax much heavier.
but it only works good from the aux of mixer into its Hi-Z input.[/img]

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”