Test Roland SH-101 vs Aira SH-101 plug-out

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Sweetfiltersweep
Veteran Wiggler

Test Roland SH-101 vs Aira SH-101 plug-out

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:52 pm

A comparison between the original Roland SH-101 and the new plug-out SH-101 of the System 1.
A few seconds of one instrument, then a little pause to lower and raise the volumen and a few seconds of the same sound made with the other instrument. Raw sound, no processing of any kind added.
On all examples, there is always the same instrument playing first and the other one playing second, but I won't say wich is the first instrument to be heard. Just compare and guess.

https://soundcloud.com/sweetfiltersweep ... r-plug-out

robbert
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robbert » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:34 pm

don't know but in my book in a musical context there is no difference to be heard

Sweetfiltersweep
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:56 pm

Of course there is a big difference.

One is the old good analog and the other one is the pathetic wannabe digital failure.

Just guess wich is wich!

:hihi:

dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:38 pm

Sweetfiltersweep wrote:Of course there is a big difference.

One is the old good analog and the other one is the pathetic wannabe digital failure.

Just guess wich is wich!

:hihi:
Well, hold on a second.... if the sounds are so similar to the human ear, I would not call that "pathetic attempt". This trend of dismissing virtual analog synths as being inferior is frequently misleading to the novices who are in the market for a nice, inexpensive option to make music with. I have been puttering with synths since the late 70's/early 80's, and have to admit that the digital iterations available (particularly more recent generations) can sound, at least to the ears attached to my head, indistinguishable from an equivalent analog counterpart. I bought an SH-101 in 1983 and rapidly got bored of its sound.....other than for basses and noises I did not find its sound worth keeping it for, so I traded it for a Cazio CZ-101. My current favorite substractive synth is the Access Virus C, and I was never fond of the analog filters in my Waldorf Q+; the digital ones were much richer and had nicer resonance, so I sold it, and it has been replaced by a Blofeld (and a Q rack on the way....yay! :nana: ).
I personally would not buy the new Roland because I don't want a 2-octave keyboard, but if they came up with a larger version I'd be all over it.

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:42 pm

What sequencer are you using with the plug-out?

dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:58 pm

The Gaia has always piqued my curiosity, but 3 octaves on a poly synth just doesn't do it for me....I want at least 5.

Whoever claims to be able to distinguish a current-generation VA synth from a true analog, well......more power to you. But even if you do....so what?

Question is: which one do you enjoy playing? Which one sounds nicer to your ears? My Virus is a monster, and can frequently sound more imposing and lush than my Alesis Andromeda. The people who demand the "imperfections and character" of true analog VCO's, well....to each their own: If these are to be used in a subtle manner, then chances are the "character" might end up smothered by other elements of the song in which the synth is being used; if they are used in a more extreme fashion, then chances are the results might be too dissonant, which would limit their usefulness......and then there's the issue of the major price difference between analogs and digitals.

My current favorite pastime is iPad synth apps...so much power for so little cash! :yay:

Coetillion
Common Wiggler

Post by Coetillion » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:08 pm

My guess is the second is the "real" SH-101.

Sweetfiltersweep
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:55 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:What sequencer are you using with the plug-out?
In order to use the same notes, feel and patter, I used the internal arpeggiator of the System 1, connected to the analog SH-101 through a Kenton midi to cv interface.

DiscarnateEntity
Common Wiggler

Post by DiscarnateEntity » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:55 pm

The PWM and tuning on the first synth sound more lively and analogue to me. That would be my guess… :despair:

There's also something about the second synth that sounds a bit tamer and a little weak compared with the first, but that could be a volume discrepancy.

Leastways, both sound fit for purpose.

Sweetfiltersweep
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:58 pm

"pathetic wannabe digital failure" is obviously written with Ironic Mode On.

Sweetfiltersweep
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:01 pm

I'll tell tomorrow wich one is the original SH-101. 8_)

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:34 pm

beware of irony on muffs :P

First one is clearly the original the second one sounds pussy.

That is my serious guess, but lets face it, it is so close, unless you are a collector, why would buy an original now ?

I think the plugout looks like a toy, so that may be a reason, but if you're in a Japanese synth pop group you're gonna look uber cool..right ?
Last edited by h4ndcrafted on Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

Biff
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Biff » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:40 pm

Sweetfiltersweep wrote:"pathetic wannabe digital failure" is obviously written with Ironic Mode On.

Thanks for sharing. I'm sure this debate will come up many places at many times (every Aira update), I guess the bottom line if they're very close is whether you want an SH-101 or you want to record something that sounds like an SH-101, you know ends vs means. I'm sure within a song sitting amongst other sounds and after being EQed you'll be hard pressed to distinguish the two. But the SH-101 itself is a fun synth to behold.

youmakeme
Learning to Wiggle

Post by youmakeme » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:52 pm

I will go with 2 for the original sh101. I heard the demo from my crappy computer speakers so i have a lame excuse if im wrong :)

Sweetfiltersweep
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:54 pm

h4ndcrafted wrote:beware of irony on muffs :P

Beware of "clearly" on muffs. :-)

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:56 pm

Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:beware of irony on muffs :P

Beware of "clearly" on muffs. :-)
Aha I know those words would haunt me as I was typing, but i haven't been wrong with this lot yet :)

It is win win if I am though, lets hope so!
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:03 pm

youmakeme wrote:I will go with 2 for the original sh101. I heard the demo from my crappy computer speakers so i have a lame excuse if im wrong :)
I thought that at first, then I put my cans on. Pretty sure it is first though, but the second half of the demo gets harder, the filter sounds more like the original in the second.

Either way, they pretty much nailed it! congrats Roland!

Edit: At 4:47 that filter suggests it is the second one thats the original, looks like I am going to be eating my words :lol:

drip.feed
Roll it off at 30 Hz

Post by drip.feed » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:21 pm

#1 is real SH-101
#2 is plug-out
Dripfeed

darenager
Bad Mother Fucker

Post by darenager » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:48 pm

Sounds quite close on some of the sounds for sure, but the second one is definitely coming across as much better overall, so I'm going to say that is the SH-101.

If not then Roland did a great job. Or did they?

Regardless, it doesn't matter as neither can replace the other.
Last edited by darenager on Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

digitalganesha
Ultra Wiggler

Post by digitalganesha » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:49 pm

I'm saying that #1 is the better sounding of the two. Now whether that's the digital emulation or the real 101 - I have no idea. I always hated the sh-101. It's the worst of the analog SH's in my book.

clarkbt
Learning to Wiggle

Post by clarkbt » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:29 pm

After listening to it all I think the first one sounds like the real deal but some patches had me confused.

noobyscooby
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by noobyscooby » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:34 pm

Having owned and flipped 3 of them I'm pretty sure the first one is the original. But those patches are really close and it's not like the 101 would be the hardest Roland synth to emulate. They picked a pretty easy emu to start with. Would like to have heard some samples of the arpeggiator or sequencer at audio rate modulating the filter, gated keyboard. That was my favorite thing to do with them. Nice, warm creamy sound.

dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:36 pm

digitalganesha wrote:I'm saying that #1 is the better sounding of the two. Now whether that's the digital emulation or the real 101 - I have no idea. I always hated the sh-101. It's the worst of the analog SH's in my book.
Amen to this! Much better to get something like the SH-2.

LeFreq
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LeFreq » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:12 pm

This is all well and good and I'm impressed that they sound so similar... BUT... this is not the way to compare synths. An arp gives me no time to hear the subtleties.

A simple filter sweep w/ rez near halfway will obliterate the copy cat, I bet. The oscillator should be a saw wave (w/ sub 1 octave below) - played in the lower register.

I just don't believe the plugout will have the juice or the strength or the width of the real deal. I could be wrong and if I am, I will praise Roland for it.

mookmoof
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mookmoof » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:55 am

#1 analog
#2 hurts my ears :zombie:

Return to “General Gear”