The Joy of Frames - Patch Ideas

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

maudibe
Super Deluxe Wiggler

The Joy of Frames - Patch Ideas

Post by maudibe »

Hey-up Y'all,

I know there's a massive thread on the Frames - mainly concerning its availability (LOL), but I thought I'd start this one for patch ideas.

I only just got the Frames in the rack yesterday and already pretty blown away with it. Here's what I've come up with so far (apart from the really obvious) - No sounds or videos as yet - I have been too busy playing and wiggling….

Sorry this is quite long…..

1/ Use the metropolis pitch output to drive the Frames - going into the FRAME input. This means that you get discreet (no glide) movement of the output Frames CV's. Read on if you thinking "why he do dat?".

Well… if you take the Frames CV 1 output into your oscillator 1v/oct …. you do the following on the Frames: Turn fully left, add a keyframe at minimum voltage. Turn fully right, add a keyframe at maximum voltage. Now hit play on your sequencer. Fully left on the Frames knob and you have your sequence. At this point you can tune your oscillator to taste!

Turn the Frame knob and it all goes up in pitch. Go to 12 o'clock with that knob. So far so simple. Adjust the modulation knob from fully clock wise to fully anti-clockwise :) Now try setting the modulation knob at arbitery positions :)

OK, not quite done with this yet. Now patch output 2 to your Metropolis Aux Inputs (for example). Set up your keyframes for output 2. Now you can have your root note **or whatever** change depending on the position of the sequence :) You could nicely use a switch to turn this on or off to get variations.

Still not quite done… patch output 3 to your pulse wave modulation, set up and now your pulse width depends on what note is output by the sequencer.

One left… set output 4 to your VCF cut of with loads of resonance ( I used the dual Borg)

This is crazy… now wiggle the big knob and adjust the Frames modulation amount and polarity. Joy :tu:

Let's have your ideas :bananaguitar:
gonkulator
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gonkulator »

So far, I have only been connecting the Frames four outs to the Sequential Switch Matrix four inputs, then out to whatever, usually a filter. Haven't even begun to scratch the surface though. I know this is going to be used and used. WIll probably need at least two.
Racks
Solaris Site

WTB: Black panels

Unflappably nonchalant, with some exceptions
Helmey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Helmey »

My next two patches will be a polyphonic chord processor with the frames going to 4 different oscillators and controlling the frames with my pressure points, and a rhythm processor where I can use Frames to control my PEG clock multipliers and select different rhythm presets.

I've only used it for a couple of sessions and so far, my favorite patch is using the Frames to scan the waveforms in my digital oscillators while using the other outs to control the filter resonance. I like using it to morph between settings manually, but also to skip to each one discretely with the CV input.
drxcm
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drxcm »

I had my first patch going with Frames yesterday - it's easy to see its depth after just a few minutes.

I've always liked Pressure Points for 'storing' preset voltages on each pad, and Frames takes this and goes on from it so much further. I was thinking about a second Pressure Points for my setup (and maybe some analog memory's), but am wondering whether another Frames might be a better choice.

Last night I had Braids being modulated by Frames. Used the +10V normal to tune several chords, and then sequenced Braids from the 1V/oct from Metropolis. The Metropolis gate output opened a Quadra envelope which swept the Frame input on, and after setting the interpolation to instant, got all sorts of lovely in tune chord trills.
Tripadvizer
Common Wiggler

Post by Tripadvizer »

It's a lot of fun to control the frame selection with a SuperSynthesis ph01II aka phraser!
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk »

I just ordered my Frames yesterday, looking much, much forward to it! We need more videos!

OP - please post a video or at least a sound demo of that, would love to hear! :)
bgribble
Common Wiggler

Post by bgribble »

I posted this on the other Frames thread -- Frames into Grids, some combination of Map X/Y, fill inputs, and an external clock rate. Instant rhythm arranger, where you can easily and repeatably transition live between up to 64 distinct grooves.
Denis Goekdag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Denis Goekdag »

Feed the four outputs of one Frames in "hidden mode" into the 4 inputs of a second frame running in "hidden mode". Set both harmonic series by turning the third pot fully left, then find a nice harmonic relationship between the two. Or, set them for only a slight, 1 semitone-ish intervall for more atonal stuff, adding some intra-FM using pot 4.

yeah.

-d
maudibe
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by maudibe »

2 frames required there Denis ... whoa! :help: :zombie:
Denis Goekdag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Denis Goekdag »

Not to brag but I actually have 6. This is absolutely one of my favorite modules. :mrgreen:
maudibe
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by maudibe »

6 …. :goo: :goo: :goo: :goo: :goo: :goo:

:picard:
cannonball swandive
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cannonball swandive »

6 Frames!!!! :hail:
Carl Hungus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Carl Hungus »

You guys had to post this stuff didn't you? ;) I'm about to get a new order from AH and talked myself out of adding Frames to it. Figured Tides was enough.

Damn.....

This module sounds really cool.

Holy shit, 6 Frames?! Is it that good? Are there any other modules you have 6 of out of curiosity?
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk »

Six frames! Jesus fuck. Oh lord. If it works as I think it does, I might have to get six myself! Imagine six of those chained with one output going out of the first, modulation the wheel of the second, which has one output going out modulating the wheel of the third. Super-octopus action perpetual machine action.

We need some soundbytes of those six in action, denis! :eek:
maudibe
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by maudibe »

I mean like uh…that is more than one row of Frames… Denis. What size is your full system? Also, it one shit load of money to spend on one module, irrespective of how cool it is. Pictures please :)

:ripbanana:
Denis Goekdag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Denis Goekdag »

Actually the Frames is the only one I have 6 of, except for Links, of which I have 8 (another very useful tool). Runners-up are Shape Shifter(4), Tides(4), Braids(4), Ripples(4) and Cyclebox (2*v1, 1*v2).

Currently no pic including all the Frames but attached is an older pic of the main system (with two in it), there are a couple of 6U Doepfer cases spread out around the studio in addition.
Attachments
zynaptiq_modular.jpg
zynaptiq_modular.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 1827 times
M6live
Wiggling with Experience

Post by M6live »

Redacted.
Last edited by M6live on Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cannonball swandive
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cannonball swandive »

:eek:
adam
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by adam »

have you never heard of multi-tracking? ;)
Denis Goekdag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Denis Goekdag »

multi-what?

:mrgreen:

seriously though, at some point I decided i really want the capability to play chords with a minimum of 4 voices. turned out to be an expensive and time-consuming decision, but hey, what can you do...*grin*
maudibe
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by maudibe »

So, I've been doing it wrong… note to self, when considering a module buy in bulk :yay:

Do they do buy two get one free?

As an aside, realised that if I'd followed a similar purchasing route I would now have something that would cover most of the walls in my studio room :eek:
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk »

Got my Frames yesterday, and - wow! Just wow. This thing is brilliant. The resolution of the Frames modulation is pretty awesome. I just made 7-8 keyframes modulation timbre and color on Braids, and FM and frequency on Ripples (which Braids was connected to). The fed a super slow envelope from Maths into the 'Frames' input, and got this lovely, lovely drone;

http://soundcloud.com/green-gym/maths-b ... ames-drone

I'm not usually a fan of drones, I generally find them very boring, but I sat there completely mesmerized for this one - and take no credit for it, by the way, purely the work of the brilliant modules that are Braids, Maths and Frames. :)
Last edited by Daisuk on Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 »

:hihi: i only see 2 Frames in your pic, Denis... so where do you have the others stashed away? :hide:

cheers
"the ordinary will ignore whatever they cannot explain as if nothing ever happened. and everything remains the same again..."
maudibe
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by maudibe »

Daisuk - that is fucking ace :)

But it might be an idea to take the s out of https… I had to go onto soundcloud and search for you to get to listen to it.

But yea, it was worth it. Lovely :)
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk »

maudibe wrote:Daisuk - that is fucking ace :)

But it might be an idea to take the s out of https… I had to go onto soundcloud and search for you to get to listen to it.

But yea, it was worth it. Lovely :)
Ah, sure, thanks for pointing that out! :)

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”