roland system 100 model 101 rules!

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.
DREIPOLAR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

roland system 100 model 101 rules!

Post by DREIPOLAR »

man, i just connected a mint model 101 that i traded for some other outragous stuff to my euro modular. everything works like a charm, all the voltages and levels fit and there is a 40 YEARS TIME DIFFERENCE in those units! i know its been said before but you have to love modular synths.

another difference is that the filter sounds better than anything in my modular and the oscillators seem to drift more pleasantly. the sound has all the poetic qualties of roland already but in a very refined way. its just a beauty to see this japanese work of art from the 70s! my minimoog is a barbarian piece of wood compared to that and its not even modular.

the model 101/system100 and the oberheim 2voice are my favourite synths ever.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch »

It is a lovely unit. I'd love to hear the filter on it. Do you plan to make any recordings?
We've moved fast. We need love. A part we offer is our only freedom.
DREIPOLAR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DREIPOLAR »

im making one at the moment .. ill post it asap. maybe its my ears but actually everything sounds better than my modular, the vca etc.. im running my oscillators through it and i know exactly how those sound, they comes out of the model 101 as pure silver. its the only way i can describe this sound.

what is it with those vintage synths that can not be replicated? cant be just the old parts ... my guess is its also how they are made, ie point to point solder connections. even my 2voice sounds totally different than the new oberheim vcos and that is made by tom himself ... but not worse, just different.
xclark
Veteran Wiggler

Post by xclark »

Just as a point of reference, what oscillators/filters do you have in your modular that you're comparing them to?

I bet that is a trip to wire it up to euro.
NYMo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NYMo »

Just sold mine last month !

Cheers
Vintage Knobhead !

New synth history album Vol 5 avail for free download !

Albums here
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120834

Not too old to rock'n roll..not too young to die !
DREIPOLAR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DREIPOLAR »

xclark wrote:Just as a point of reference, what oscillators/filters do you have in your modular that you're comparing them to?

I bet that is a trip to wire it up to euro.
too many filters but there is no such thing: schippmann vcf-02, z2040, cwejman mmf, frequensteiner, vcf303 and the analog systems synthi clone which is quite useless but also diode ladder. ... the one that ken is testing in this video comes close.

[video][/video]
e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad »

One of the best sounding mono synths. Sold mine bcs I prefered my MS series synths for being modular respect. semi-modular. However, soundwise I thought the Model 101 way better.
Avatar: A lusona by the Chokwe people.

elektrograd
DREIPOLAR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DREIPOLAR »

i just discovered a strange problem. the adsr doesnt trigger correctly from external gate input. it kind of loses the decay and sustain stages and has no volume. sounds like a very low voltage gate. any model 101 owners around?
DREIPOLAR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DREIPOLAR »

e-grad wrote:One of the best sounding mono synths. Sold mine bcs I prefered my MS series synths for being modular respect. semi-modular. However, soundwise I thought the Model 101 way better.
absolutely! i can really think only of two that come close in quality. the moog source and the oberheim 2 voice. with those three synths you have covered the vintage moog, roland and oberheim world of sound ... and there is no contemporary match to my ears. its kind of amazing that you cannot create that sound with modern components if you think of how many geniuses are working on it.
depth20
Common Wiggler

Post by depth20 »

You got to trigger it with a hotter signal. I think the 100 wants at least a 10V gate, all though I think you can use the trigger jack on the backside with lower voltages.
depth20
Common Wiggler

Post by depth20 »

It's also a good idea to put new jacks in it, I've had to switch most of the jacks on mine since they start to fail.
DREIPOLAR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DREIPOLAR »

depth20 wrote:You got to trigger it with a hotter signal. I think the 100 wants at least a 10V gate, all though I think you can use the trigger jack on the backside with lower voltages.
i just did that with a certified 10 volt source. no decay/sustain stages, release becomes decay and at release=0 its a gate. just like an ASR, on both inputs, with keyboard its back to ADSR. is that a roland feature? ASR on external in? can somebody check that on his 101 before i open it up and loose the "mint" factor ;-)
e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad »

Ypu'll have to use a gate signal that exceeds the attack time to use the decay stage and the sustain parameter.
lilakmonoke wrote:
depth20 wrote:You got to trigger it with a hotter signal. I think the 100 wants at least a 10V gate, all though I think you can use the trigger jack on the backside with lower voltages.
i just did that with a certified 10 volt source. no decay/sustain stages, release becomes decay and at release=0 its a gate. just like an ASR, on both inputs, with keyboard its back to ADSR. is that a roland feature? ASR on external in? can somebody check that on his 101 before i open it up and loose the "mint" factor ;-)
Avatar: A lusona by the Chokwe people.

elektrograd
DREIPOLAR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DREIPOLAR »

thats what im doing ... 500 msec gate length should be plenty with attack to zero its the same ASR. whats weird is that it works with the keyboard. so maybe the gate doesnt get to the trigger and just turns into a short pulse? what else?

btw ken is the man! this is exactly what it sounds like ...

[video][/video]
DREIPOLAR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DREIPOLAR »

another odd thing i noticed ... if you switch to adsr tiggered by the lfo it only works if you press a key, not by itself. can somebody confirm that or is it another "mod" feature? btw, then its also an ASR so the internal voltage source from the lfo is not enough to trigger the decay. i think that is some mod ... it would be much better for fast envelope triggers from a sequencer and ive heard thats what they did in the 70s with those ;-)
DREIPOLAR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DREIPOLAR »

and this is something you cant get out of a model 101 ... macbeth being macbeth had to overdo it as usual :-9 sounds great though!

[video][/video]
DREIPOLAR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DREIPOLAR »

just a quicky to show you what the 101 filter sounds like. i did my utmost to copy that macbeth soudn above, there is a fet compressor that exaggerates distortion things and some reverb. two saw waves and in the beginning its right below self oszillation and after a while i back it off to get more low end.

http://tindeck.com/listen/raop
b3nsf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by b3nsf »

I think old Roland gates are actually at least +12 volts :tu:
its like saying you experience michaelangelo because there is a picture on your happy meal
--shreddoggie
Last time I checked there was nothing Vanilla about old Chi- Acid....that shit's Chocolate as it gets.
--Kendall Station
jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 »

lilakmonoke wrote:just a quicky to show you what the 101 filter sounds like. i did my utmost to copy that macbeth soudn above, there is a fet compressor that exaggerates distortion things and some reverb. two saw waves and in the beginning its right below self oszillation and after a while i back it off to get more low end.

http://tindeck.com/listen/raop
That Macbeth and your track sound very SH-5'ey. Lovely. I hope Ken releases the filter as a separate unit.

edit: I think the ADSR should start going as soon as you switch it to LFO trigger. Atleast that's how the SH-5 works.
depth20
Common Wiggler

Post by depth20 »

No it doesn't do that on the 100, you need to press a key.
DREIPOLAR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DREIPOLAR »

depth20 wrote:No it doesn't do that on the 100, you need to press a key.
ok thanks so that at least seems to be stock! 12 volts? i have no gate that is 12 volts ... are you sure? the ADSR is not even triggered correctly by its own lfo so i doubt that is the problem. im going to open the can and have a look, not that i know what im looking at. "mint" bye bye!
depth20
Common Wiggler

Post by depth20 »

The manual actually say it wants a 14V gate, but I believe you can gate it with a little less than that.
Ebotronix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Ebotronix »

I have the System 101,102 and 104.
I use the 104 Sequencer(two rows 2.5v 5v or 10v outs)
it is perfect with the Flame Chord Machine ( 10V)
or as a up to 24 step Sequencer.

[video][/video]

next vid is the Moog Taurus 2 with the 104 Sequncer
and the 102 Expander for sync sounds
Taurus to TWF, pulse out to 102 strong sync in.
[video][/video]
Last edited by Ebotronix on Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DREIPOLAR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DREIPOLAR »

there is have found it in the service manual:

"ADSR envelope: external trigger signal +14 volts " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what were those japanese engineers thinking in the 70s ;-) ? now even if i transpose my 10 volt gate i still get the ASR with the release acting as decay. can somebody who ACTUALLY owns a model 101 verify that before i start blaming the previous owner. thanks and god bless!
DREIPOLAR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DREIPOLAR »

phantastik stuff, ebotronix! you my friend have gone over the deep end in a good way ;-)

Return to “General Gear”