list of doepfer west coast modules

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

companyofquail
Veteran Wiggler

list of doepfer west coast modules

Post by companyofquail »

so, i will start out by saying i have owned a wiard 300 series for years before selling to move to eurorack when i found the phonogene. doepfer has so many modules that i wanted to be lazy and ask the doepfer fans which modules they would put together to make a west coast style synth. this is so i can help someone i know get into modular with a less than make noise budget.

please do not turn this into a "save your money and get make noise" thread. i have already been down that road with him. this is more of a discussion about building a west coast style synth with doepfer modules.

also, is there a sampler in the doepfer world?
Last edited by companyofquail on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Noble
Pining for the fjords

Post by John Noble »

Serge-ish/Buchla-ey modules:

A-111 (by reputation) for oscillators
A-196 Phase Locked Loop
A-101-2 Vactrol Lowpass Gates
A-149-1 and -2 Source of Uncertainty
A-171 Voltage Controlled Slew Limiter
A-167 Analog Comparator
A-114 Ring Modulator
A-143-9 Quadrature LFO
A-133 Dual Voltage Controlled Polarizer
A-137-1 Wave Multiplier 1
A-152 Voltage Addressed Track & Hold
A-163 Voltage Controlled Frequency Divider
A-188-1Y BBD Module (256 stages)
A-189-1 Voltage Controlled Bit Modifier / Bit Cruncher

(A-112 Sampler for the bonus round)
Go make some music.
http://prettyhowtown.net
companyofquail
Veteran Wiggler

Post by companyofquail »

this was so much easier than going through all those modules! :party:

thanks
dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude »

you are clearly looking for something specific, but why not just make a cool synth? bringing the coasts into these things falls short of considering what is interesting and available in modern modulars, even considering just what is available in the doepfer offerings.

and yes there is a sampler in doepferland a112. its sounds great but is a pita to work with. does wavetable stuff too. it's a special doepfer freak for sure.

if i were going to do an all doepfer thing i would focus (and i know you didn't ask about what i would build) on his really creative modules (some of which have west coast leanings if you ask me). a112, a152, a162, a196, the verb tank module, bbds, that crazy digital divider thing. any number of filters (a few of which are complete freaks)...the list kind of goes on and on if you look deep in that catalog.
companyofquail
Veteran Wiggler

Post by companyofquail »

i was only asking about this because i know a lot about every manufacturer besides doepfer and its hard for me to keep up with the numbering system.

so basically i was just wondering what "west coast" style modules were in dopefer land and i got my answer.

now i can suggest some of these as well as some other companies.
companyofquail
Veteran Wiggler

Post by companyofquail »

and yes you are correct, i was looking for something specific, not a specific synth but specific info on one companies product line. thanks for adding some other modules for me to look into.
fireclown
Ultra Wiggler

Post by fireclown »

143-1 seems like something worth considering too.
North American Modular/Boy Love Association
tommaso
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tommaso »

^ yup! 143-1 is a cool 4 ADenvelope/lfo :tu:
numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 »

{what dude and john noble said} + a-138m (and possibly things like a-142 and a-162, tho that may be stretching the "coasts" thing a bit)

cheers
"the ordinary will ignore whatever they cannot explain as if nothing ever happened. and everything remains the same again..."
monstrinho
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monstrinho »

For me, the big dividing line between "East Coast" and "West Coast" was always the Buchla/Serge (but especially Buchla) emphasis on randomness. Apart from the entire "subtractive/not" thing and the "keyboard/not" thing, I think it's the random modules that really set the West Coast stuff apart. I'd seriously look at the A-149-1 & 2, the A-152 and A-172. I'd also throw in the A-196 PLL just because it's freaky, weird and unpredictable.
fireclown
Ultra Wiggler

Post by fireclown »

west coast for me is Santa Monica where Tom Oberheim built the most serious west coast contribution of all. followed by Santa Cruz and San Jose where Dave Rossum and others built the foundation of every analog synth for a very important era. Ive heard of this Buchla guy, and that Serge fella, what did they do in comparison?
North American Modular/Boy Love Association
companyofquail
Veteran Wiggler

Post by companyofquail »

monstrinho wrote:For me, the big dividing line between "East Coast" and "West Coast" was always the Buchla/Serge (but especially Buchla) emphasis on randomness. Apart from the entire "subtractive/not" thing and the "keyboard/not" thing, I think it's the random modules that really set the West Coast stuff apart. I'd seriously look at the A-149-1 & 2, the A-152 and A-172. I'd also throw in the A-196 PLL just because it's freaky, weird and unpredictable.
the big difference for me was the adsr and the function generator. the dual envelator really changed things for me then when sampling became available in modular i could finally build the instrument i wanted. i actually stopped playing music for a long time because i could not find anything that would do what i wanted to do the way i wanted to do it. ie octatrack, mpc, computer and a few other things can technically do what i want to do but i hate the workflow and how i have to use them to achieve my goals.
companyofquail
Veteran Wiggler

Post by companyofquail »

fireclown wrote:west coast for me is Santa Monica where Tom Oberheim built the most serious west coast contribution of all. followed by Santa Cruz and San Jose where Dave Rossum and others built the foundation of every analog synth for a very important era. Ive heard of this Buchla guy, and that Serge fella, what did they do in comparison?
i really dont give a shit about the west coast east coast thang. i just used the slang because it was a quick way to get my point across and exactly what i was asking was answered by john noble.

i defintitely do not want this thread to turn into some debate about what east and west coast is or that anyone cares. i just figured it would be somehting nice people could search for down the road when they have similar questions.

just doesnt seem like people talk about doepfer a lot on the forum. and as i mentioned before, i cant keep up with all the numbers so it was nice to have the numbers and names listed above :party:
automaton
Is It Giblets?!

Post by automaton »

I believe Germany lacks both a west coast and an east coast. Maybe like a northeast Baltic Sea and a northwest North Sea flavor.

Damn... Now I've got 'Finland' stuck in my head.
Perhaps all pleasure is only relief.
stk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stk »

I had an idea a while back about putting together a (cough) "west" coast modular (yeah whatever, you know what I mean) out of (relatively) cheap Doepfer modules, all remounted behind a single (awesome looking) panel. Mainly for the self-contained system aesthetics, and financial reasons.

Never did it, though, but one day.
jonah
searching for "switch nipples"

Post by jonah »

In addition to what's been listed:
a119 env follower/external in
a125 vc phaser or 101-3 modular vactrol phase filter
a191 shepard tone (why isn't this available anymore?) :cry:

Sequencing wise maybe avoid the A-155, but that's more because it looks conservative. :lol:

You can basically get everything that isn't a filter and is voltage controlled? :)

I'm still trying to track some stuff down, but that's more or less what I ended up with, within the limits of a case to fit it. It was without trying to go for "west coast", just based on what I liked doing in software, DIY and only enjoying subtractive synthesis on fixed architecture synths. At 14 audiomulch was the first music tool I got into, modular or otherwise and it had the biggest imprinting on me. So, it feels funny to say west coast, maybe southern hemisphere? :)
Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Post by Cybananna »

The doepfer a-149-1 quantized/stored random voltages and a-149-2 are just beautiful. It has a very pleasant sounding random function.
Noisteria Emission at Bandcamp

WTB: circuit abbey ccbo
lampeo
Common Wiggler

Post by lampeo »

Great source of information for a newbie like me...........Thanks
causticlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by causticlogic »

automaton wrote:I believe Germany lacks both a west coast and an east coast. Maybe like a northeast Baltic Sea and a northwest North Sea flavor.

Damn... Now I've got 'Finland' stuck in my head.
Yeah, screw the coasts. Tear down the wall! Go for the middle and have the best of both! Midwest represent! :razz:
RealDudes wrote:there's only one window in my padded cell and all I can see is a hallway
looks like there's blood on the floor again
Bumply wrote:I just want to leave work right now and listen to a nice triangle wave.
bouzoukijoe1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bouzoukijoe1 »

west coast or east coast, regardless of the terminology, I think it's quite important to bring up the alternate patching methodologies that so-called "west-coast" style encourages. I feel synthesizers have definitely been heavily influenced by the Minimoog style patch (or whatever you want to call it), and only recently have I started to think about how to grow beyond it without resorting to the Minimoog style signal flow that so many synths are pre-wired to do (and thus teach). it's difficult because all the synths I've used before modular have always taught me to think in this way, and it's hard to unlearn.

without articulating or putting a name to it or describing the very important difference between the two, one denies the existence of the philosophical difference which I think can make it even slower to learn and realize. in this regard, I really love The Wiard Philosophy which at least attempts to explain the alternate patching strategy. the explanation not only teaches you about a different approach, but it also silently teaches you about "east coast".

reading through the 200e Sound on Sound review reminded me of how utterly complex alternate patching techniques like Buchla's can be. there's a mention of Buchla's three classes (audio signal, control voltage, timing pulse) vs. "subtractive," but it's not very clear what the difference actually is. you won't even start to realize how messy the patch architecture is until you start reading about the modules in detail. extremely confusing. this is what I loved about the Wiard text - it made it easier to digest. I think Buchla (as well as Wiard) had specific roles for their modules, and while they may allow you to use them in many different ways, they still perform specific functions according to certain signal flow ideas.

I believe that without the acknowledgement that many pre-wired synths are skewed towards "east coast", beginners -- particularly ones who started in hardwired synths -- will have a very hard time learning the other ways of patching, and at the very worst may resort to sticking to east coast style all the time, without even realizing it (such as potentially with a Pittsburgh Foundation, Dark Energy, Micromac, etc.).

ultimately I'm not really sure what the correct way to articulate the difference is, but reading about east vs west certainly helped me learn about standard vs. non-standard approaches. it's particularly critical I think for unlearning/relearning uses of oscillators, VCAs, and envelopes/contour generators. I see the terminology "east coast" and "west coast" less as stylistic restrictions, but rather more like teaching tools. just my 2 cents.
amsonx
Grey Man Patcher

Post by amsonx »

I've found that the A-134-2 VC Xfader can be really helpful, is great with CV but even with audio plus can act as VCA in olny 4HP and in a little west coast oriented system can help in create complex modulation
FS (EU) Roland R8 MKII perfect condition

richard wrote:
"we just need some mutlinational to grab the copyrights over the sine wave and we are all fucked"
hollowman
blind rhinoceros

Post by hollowman »

John Noble wrote:Serge-ish/Buchla-ey modules:

A-111 (by reputation) for oscillators
A-196 Phase Locked Loop
A-101-2 Vactrol Lowpass Gates
A-149-1 and -2 Source of Uncertainty
A-171 Voltage Controlled Slew Limiter
A-167 Analog Comparator
A-114 Ring Modulator
A-143-9 Quadrature LFO
A-133 Dual Voltage Controlled Polarizer
A-137-1 Wave Multiplier 1
A-152 Voltage Addressed Track & Hold
A-163 Voltage Controlled Frequency Divider
A-188-1Y BBD Module (256 stages)
A-189-1 Voltage Controlled Bit Modifier / Bit Cruncher

(A-112 Sampler for the bonus round)
Just tried that on your rack planner. Comes in nicely just over $2000, can be in 2x84 hp rows with a bit of space left over. Easily powered by a uzues.
Would be a really fun little synth. :deadbanana: :woah:
Beautiful broken machine.

hawklord2112 wrote:
then again my first two modules were a vca and PLL, wth do i know?
hollowman
blind rhinoceros

Post by hollowman »

see, looks like fun.
Note: i swapped the A-111 for a A-110.
[/img]
Beautiful broken machine.

hawklord2112 wrote:
then again my first two modules were a vca and PLL, wth do i know?
sienisetä
pills for breakfast

Post by sienisetä »

Looks nice indeed! The A-110 does seem a bit more east-coast to me, though.
Fast beat the feet, fast fall the hands!

Current gear: About 9U of eurocrack modulz, Waldorf Streichfett, Roland VR-09 (haz nice Hammondz on it), Cubase 5, Yamaha MX16 USB-MIDI interface + Washburn T12B Bass guitar, Eko S-300 Strat copy (the guitars are mostly for demos, sampling or playing shitty punk).
John Noble
Pining for the fjords

Post by John Noble »

hollowman wrote:Just tried that on your rack planner.
Oh, I wish I could write pretty front end stuff like that planner, but the credit goes to Dev Gupta. :sb:
Go make some music.
http://prettyhowtown.net

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”