Doepfer A-112 Sampler/ Wavetable Osc. Demo

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
bartleby
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bartleby »

Drumdrumdrumdrum wrote:This software will be the deal maker for me to get the Doepfer over another wavetable/sampler
oh it's already a great module even without that editor! for example, it's great to record some random stuff from a radio and then use that as your wavetable.

but the editor sure will be a cool addition.
Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock »

Drumdrumdrumdrum wrote:This software will be the deal maker for me to get the Doepfer over another wavetable/sampler
I don't think any of the other Euro samplers track 1v/oct pitch.
That's a good enough reason for me to go with the 112.
bartleby
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bartleby »

btw are there any known mods to allow more than just 2 samples/wavetables? perhaps by mounting 2 memory chips piggyback with a switch?
phasebash
Ultra Wiggler

Post by phasebash »

Navs wrote:Sorry to hear that, mr chombee!

You can get shorter times with the LEN setting, phasebash. Have a listen to the SC example here:

http://navsmodularlab.blogspot.com/2011 ... e-osc.html

It's Karplus-'esque'...

The A-112 also does some wonderfully mental things when you FM it at audio rates. The output glitches as it struggles to keep up with the modulator.
Cheers, this helps a bunch.
Given the "bog-standard" implementation noted in the A-112 manual, I wouldn't be surprised if the minimum delay time is found given the length of one memory block and the maximum pitch CV. I can't verify this currently as I don't own an A-112 but will soon. I look forward to using this as an oscillator FM feedback controller :love:
bartleby
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bartleby »

bartleby wrote:btw are there any known mods to allow more than just 2 samples/wavetables? perhaps by mounting 2 memory chips piggyback with a switch?
to answer my own question: yes, in fact it does work that way, and it's a pretty simple mod. i just completed it on my a112 and now i have 2 banks of 2 samples/wavetables instead of just 1.
:bacon:

basically what you do ist mount two memory chips on top of each other, connecting all their pins except for the two 'chip enable' pins ce1 (pin number 22) and ce2 (pin number 30). those two pairs of ce pins you connect to a 2x2 switch to toggle between the two memory chips - i.e. select which of the two chips has both its ce pins set to 'active'.

ce1/pin22 is active when connected to gnd, ce2/pin30 is active when connected to +5v.

in addition, you have to connect each of those 4 ce pins via a 100k pull-up/pull-down resistor to gnd (ce2/pin30) or to +5v (ce1/pin22), so that they aren't just floating when not set to 'active'. (thanks to dieter doepfer for pointing this out to me)

so, if you want to try this yourself, here is what you need:

2x 128kx8 cmos sram memory chip
4x 100k resistor
1x 2x2 toggle switch (like this one)
some wire

the original sram chip on my a112 is called BS62LV1027PIP55, but dieter told me that these chips go by many different names such as SM621008LLP70, LP621024, 62LV1027PCB-70 (this is the one i used for this mod - thanks once more to dieter for pointing it out). for further details see the BS62LV1027 data sheet.

i was going to post some pics of my modded a112, but somehow i can't seem upload them. :(
oh well, they are not that pretty anyway - my wiring isn't very elegant because i first forgot about those pull-up/pull-down connections for setting the inactive chip to 'inactive' and had to add them later. bit of a mess, to be honest, but it does work just fine. :)
bartleby
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bartleby »

here are those pics. like i said, the wiring isn't perfect, but it works great. the additional switch above the 'eff/s1/s2' switch is my new bank switch. now my a112 is ready for mr chombee's editor and tybamm's miniwave generator. :)

Last edited by bartleby on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
mckenic

Post by mckenic »

:yay:
Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs »

:woah: Well done!
Drumdrumdrumdrum
What she said

Post by Drumdrumdrumdrum »

Very cool 8_)
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
- Author, Albert Schweitzer.

"Modular synths can take your ego out of the equation which, in music, is a blessing" - Jeremy Greenspan

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/glennkingsleymortimer
Tomek Mirt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Tomek Mirt »

Great work!

Bartleby do you know is it possible to piggyback more than one chip for 3-4 banks? I'm thinking about diy expander with 4 chips (or more if it is possible) selectable via some rotary switch.
bartleby
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bartleby »

Tomek Mirt wrote:Bartleby do you know is it possible to piggyback more than one chip for 3-4 banks?
in theory at least, i think this should work just the same way with more than 2 chips. but you have to bear in mind that these sram chips are battery-buffered, and i guess the more chips that battery has to power, the faster it is drained and your samples are gone. i have no idea how much of a problem this really is though. i'm not much of an electronics expert - i'm afraid my approach to these kinds of hacks is more of the experimental circuit bending variety. :hihi:
Tomek Mirt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Tomek Mirt »

Thanks! Good point with battery. Soon i'll try to do that expansion.
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler »

Good work :yay:
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.
runblip
Learning to Wiggle

Post by runblip »

psyched to have found this thread...updated software for this module would be pretty nice...or its off to the bay for a win95 laptop, ha.
bartleby
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bartleby »

mr chombee wrote:A first draft of the GUI:

any news on this? my modded a112 is getting restless. :)
mr chombee
Common Wiggler

Post by mr chombee »

I'm afraid I haven't had much time to work on this. I'm super busy with my day job at the moment. I could make the current version available. It basically works, but it has some issues. As far as I can remember, you'll get a click at the beginning of the transmitted sample. I already solved this problem at some point, but I lost some work due to a harddrive failure. Anyway...I think I'll upload it anyway and fix it if I have time.

There's also the other tool that someone announced in a different thread, which looks even better. Looking forward to see some progress there as well.
mr chombee
Common Wiggler

Post by mr chombee »

I just uploaded the last working version. It is still a bit imperfect and might have bugs, but basic sending and receiving should work. There's also a Windows version, but note that this is completely untested! Here's the download link:
http://rampe-d.de/Software/A-112_Sample_Dump_Tool.html

Hope it works for you.
robot909
robot slave to feline masters

Post by robot909 »

Is there anywhere where I can download the .256 wavetable files to load into the A-112 via this sample dump tool?
Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs »

robot909 wrote:Is there anywhere where I can download the .256 wavetable files to load into the A-112 via this sample dump tool?
http://www.sonicspot.com/wave256/wave256.html

There are some other banks, iirc available at the Wiard Yahoo Group.
tom moody
Common Wiggler

dump tool on PC receives from a-112 but doesn't send to it

Post by tom moody »

Just a quick note to report on the use of Mr. Chombee's A-112 sample dump tool on Windows XP 32-bit. The PC will receive dumps from the A-112 and the samples are accurate. Unfortunately I can't get samples onto the A-112 from the PC. It's just garbled. Arguably getting samples off the A-112 is the more important function, since it records and there are only two sample slots. It was worth it for me to see the sample magically appear over the MIDI protocol. I had read about that from the old days but never seen the process in action.
tom moody
Common Wiggler

Post by tom moody »

Since posting the previous comment, I have been able to use Mr Chombee's tool (wavs/wavetables going both directions between computer and A-112) on both Windows 7 64 and OSX Yosemite. The only issue I've noted is you may have to change the dropdown for the MIDI device to get MIDI out to work -- e.g., if "Komplete Audio 6" appears in the MIDI device window and that's your device, change it to something else, and then back to Komplete Audio 6. Then MIDI out should work. It's great having full functionality for the A-112, with this tool as well as the other couple that have been launched in the last few years.
airfrankenstein
Veteran Wiggler

Post by airfrankenstein »

I ordered an A-112 which should arrive today :party:
and I just read in another thread that there are no samples loaded. :eek:
So, I downloaded the sample dumper but am now wondering what device/hardware/interface I need to get the samples from the computer to the module :hmm: :help:

Mucho Thanks for the read and even more for help
tom moody
Common Wiggler

Post by tom moody »

If you are using the tools below to transmit samples to/from the A-112, you need a soundcard with MIDI in/out. I've used Komplete Audio 6 and the RME Fireface UCX. I'm sure most will do it.

A-112 Waves
http://www.privatepublic.de/blog/software/a-112-waves/

A-112 Sample Dump Tool
http://rampe-d.de/Software/A-112_Sample_Dump_Tool.html
airfrankenstein
Veteran Wiggler

Post by airfrankenstein »

Got it working with an old U16 midi controller.
The A-112 has a lot of weird niceties :tu:
vytis
Veteran Wiggler

Post by vytis »

More related info in this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=149164

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”