DIY Vactrol for RLPG, 291 anybody done it ?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

dmitri
Super Deluxe Wiggler

DIY Vactrol for RLPG, 291 anybody done it ?

Post by dmitri » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:31 am

Bender style.

LED and LDR in heatshrink... anyone? :hmm:
d
Last edited by dmitri on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

raisinbag
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by raisinbag » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:54 am

I don't know much about vactrols, and am tring to find info on how to DIY ones for the 291 boards. Not trying to hijack your thread, but I too am wanting similar info.

dmitri
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dmitri » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:00 am

thats not a hijack. all welcome. we all help each other 8_)

im wondering if i will need to make a driver for the led?, wonder how a multi color led would work/ if it would work better....?

This probably not what we are looking for today but valuable info none the less /
http://www.musicsynthesizer.com/Hairball/hairball.html

Last edited by dmitri on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

Post by decaying.sine » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:00 am

Heatshrink, plastic tubing, modeling clay, electrical tape--lots of options

Here is Scott Stites archived page about rolling your own...

Rolling your own optoisolator
Brian
"I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create." William Blake

"Vactrols ringing, Dude." "Thank you Donny"

decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

Post by decaying.sine » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:04 am

Not all light dependent resistors work well with all wavelength LED.
Check out Cynthia's vid...

[video][/video]
Brian
"I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create." William Blake

decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

Post by decaying.sine » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:06 am

Brian

raisinbag
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by raisinbag » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:12 am

HOLY CRAP, those were the fastest replies ever! Ate some Mac and cheese and came back to my computer to find some great answers! Thanks guys :party: :sb:

Brian, are you making your own Vacs for your 291s? Or did you find some great plethora of rare and cheap Vacs somewhere?

dmitri
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dmitri » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:14 am

Yellow ! :) :nana:
Thank you Decaying Sign ! & thank you Cynthia!!!

another vactrol diy link
http://web.archive.org/web/200904142352 ... a52a376625

decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

Post by decaying.sine » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:30 am

raisinbag wrote:HOLY CRAP, those were the fastest replies ever! Ate some Mac and cheese and came back to my computer to find some great answers! Thanks guys :party: :sb:

Brian, are you making your own Vacs for your 291s? Or did you find some great plethora of rare and cheap Vacs somewhere?
I hope it was lobster mac and cheese. That's what we do up here in the New England states :sb:

I have around 10 vactrols that I got a while ago for like $4 each. I haven't made my own yet, but I think it would be a really cool project.

The coolest ones I remember seeing were rolled in modeling clay. They may have been taped first. Can't quite remember.
Brian

raisinbag
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by raisinbag » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:44 am

Ya ya rub my nose in it :razz: Geeze I didn't realize they be so hard to find. Maybe I have to get a few of the speced vactrols and play with different LEDs and distances to find how to make ones that are similar. I bet fimo would work well, so u can harden it once it is set in place.
Are these being used as vc controls in the 291? Seems that they would be a good way to add simple vc to your average circuit.

dmitri
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dmitri » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:12 pm

circuit benders use diy vactrols to add cv to everything. usually with clock replacements in casios and yamaha keyboards.

CJ Miller
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CJ Miller » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:18 pm

I enjoy a nice stash of optoelectronics here, but have played with rolling my own before. Definitely look out for differences in the spectrum of LEDs and the resistances and response times of LDRs. This is why in some ways rolling your own is far better, one has the advantage of mixing and matching whatever kind of LDR and LED - or even incandescent - for whatever kind of coupler needed for a given application.

Best fit I found was some aluminum knobs which I have around here somewhere. Drilling the hole straight through I got the LEDs and LDRs to fit exactly.

bleeps
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bleeps » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:27 pm

Luka posted this link in this thread. It lists measured response times of the VTL5Cx series pulled from the data sheets and discusses results from some DIY vactrols. There are a few more threads on DIY vactrols if you search for vactrol in the DIY forum and limit it to searching thread topics. But it boils down to heat shrink tubing or electrical tape.

This link is listed in the SDIY topic sticky. It discusses using vactrols to implement voltage control in circuits.

And finally, this thread has links to the current best deals on VTL5C3s and VTL5C4s in North America.

raisinbag
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by raisinbag » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:35 pm

Cool, that's a lot of stuff to read through later tonight.

What do you mean by "boils down to shrink tubing or tape". Regardings
Keeping the ldr and led from moving? Or light tight? Or what.

Thanks again. I'll do a bunch of reading and searching threads tonight. I really like the idea of roll your own, as long as the results are up to par with what is availible commercially and results can be replicated and predictible. I think I will do some roll your owns and socket the vactrols.

THANKS

emdot_ambient
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by emdot_ambient » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:44 pm

raisinbag wrote:What do you mean by "boils down to shrink tubing or tape"...Keeping the ldr and led from moving? Or light tight?
Both actually. But if you're hoping to roll your own for a specific project, the most critical thing is going to be can you find LEDs/LDRs that have the same response times as what the circuit is designed for. My limited searches on LDRs has not turned up many that match the specs of the VTL5C3 (which seems to be the most used Vactrol of all).

cbm
Eardrill

Post by cbm » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:59 pm

It's worth noting that while Buchla uses handrolled "vatrols" for some things, but where it really counts, like in a low pass gate, he uses the standard VTLx parts.
Last edited by cbm on Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Muir
Eardrill Archive - http://www.eardrill.com (on permanent vacation)

fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fluxmonkey » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:19 pm

grant richter's page: http://www.musicsynthesizer.com/Hairball/hairball.html , including circuit for a crossfader...
www.fluxmonkey.com

BUILDER FOR HIRE - kits or custom, email me with your needs

decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

Post by decaying.sine » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:29 pm

Ah, there is the clay one I was thinking about.
Brian

raisinbag
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by raisinbag » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:21 pm

YEE HAW :sb: gona start taking apart my kids old toys (the ones they tortured me with repetitive annoying sounds) and we can do some bending. I played with pots and switches, but this is WAY cooler. Oh ya have to find time to make the 291s when I get them. Better not pile up toys on top of the pile of PCBs!

Anyway, can't beleive I haven't gotten on the Vactrol band wagon sooner. There have been some great articles in this thread. Thanks.

I think I will socket the Vacs in the 291 and play around with some different versions and maybe even add switching between some different options. That will be one :75: Filter though!!!!

raveboyy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by raveboyy » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:32 am

Hi Guys,

did you find some good combinations of LEDs and LDRs so far?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”