Notes on the Clk Buss with Sequence etc

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Notes on the Clk Buss with Sequence etc

Post by BugBrand »

A few details on how to connect the new Sequence module to the Dual Divide (DDiv) and/or DDSR::::

Unfortunately the 2 modules have slightly different implementations - someone didn't plan this whole thing out quite ;)
And there's a small mod needed for the DDiv - this will be most, though I have just received a new board revision which fixes this (it looks different from behind, using 0603 passives so it is easy to distinguish).

Here's the testing Sequencing Frame I've been playing with - the final 2FW could either be the BBV or perhaps a Logic with a Diode Director..
SeqFrame.jpg
The main clock of the sequence passes both to the DDiv buss input and then on to the left-hand-side clocking of the DDSR.
Note that I'm actually ignoring (not connecting) the Reset output pin of that header on the Sequence.
Then Gate B is passed to the right-hand-side clocking of the DDSR.
[in fact, the DDSR has 2 clocking input pins and each side can be set to one or the other with jumpers - hence the arrows showing how I've set the jumpers, one up & one down]
These are all MTA100 headers - I can easily enough provide the custom cables.
Just for reference, the 2pins headers are as follows:
DDiv - Pin 1 clock, pin 2 reset - there are 2 sets of headers, one as a pass-through to another module
DDSR - Pin1 clock 1, Pin2 clock 2
ClkBusWiring.jpg
For the DDiv mod - this will affect basically ALL DDivs before now - sorry :(
Basically the Reset line needs a pull-down resistor - luckily it is pretty easy to add a 10K resistor.
In this pic I use an 0805 one though it'd be easy enough to use a through hole one.
One end goes to the diode, the other goes to the 0V trace that runs along the side of the board (marked with a green line below) - the soldermask can easily be scraped off the trace with a small flathead screwdriver.
Of course, if you're unsure of your ability to do this, do ask me for help - I can do it no problem, though obviously requires a return to base.
DDivMod.jpg
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Re: Notes on the Clk Buss with Sequence etc

Post by BugBrand »

Adding...

Here's what I'm sending out as cabling for the setup described above [obviously cables would need to be different lengths if the layout isn't Seq/DDiv/DDSR all in a single line].
Also including some 10k resistors for DIY DDiv modding - 2 x 0805 for the approach pictured above if confident with SMD, plus a 5mm one for those who prefer through-hole (see pic below - a regular 7.5mm resistor would fit fine too)
IMG_20220210_140045.jpg
IMG_20220210_140410.jpg
northerntao
Wiggling with Experience

Post by northerntao »

Ahh, I think I can manage the through hole resistor.

I’ve largely given up on DIY, beyond the odd mod of this scale. I’ve built a few simple Eurorack modules, but spent months troubleshooting a PreenFM2 build with SMD parts. A small tremor in my right hand makes it a challenge.
otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by otoskope »

How's the situation with the Quad Divider? Similar?
The brain is always greener on the other side.

soundcloud1 soundcloud2
bandcamp
youtube
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand »

otoskope wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:19 pm How's the situation with the Quad Divider? Similar?
Given how few made it out, I've totally forgotten about the QDiv ;)
But I checked back & it turns out that it is like the DDSR - two clock lines, selectable with a jumper on each side.
So treat it the same as the DDSR - no mod should be necessary.
otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by otoskope »

Great, thanks!
The brain is always greener on the other side.

soundcloud1 soundcloud2
bandcamp
youtube
joncharliefeathers
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joncharliefeathers »

That setup looks fantastic. In a super sequencer config would the binary block be a suitable alternative to the Digi SR or even could you have both and the Ddiv?
Anything can be complicated, simplicity is hard.
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand »

joncharliefeathers wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:41 pm That setup looks fantastic. In a super sequencer config would the binary block be a suitable alternative to the Digi SR or even could you have both and the Ddiv?
Not sure - I don't go anywhere without a DDSR ;)
I think the DDiv & DDSR pair nicely with the Seq, though the remaining space is more variable - but that's just my personal feelings. I don't actually tend to use the BBV all that much. Oh, and may have another useful 1FW clockbox-utility sort of module down the line.. just to confuse it all the more!
northerntao
Wiggling with Experience

Post by northerntao »

BugBrand wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:19 am One end goes to the diode, the other goes to the 0V trace that runs along the side of the board (marked with a green line below) - the soldermask can easily be scraped off the trace with a small flathead screwdriver.
Looks like my package will be arrive in the morning. To clarify, what do I need to scrape off? Just part of the 0V trace so my solder can make joint to the contact?
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand »

northerntao wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:22 am
BugBrand wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:19 am One end goes to the diode, the other goes to the 0V trace that runs along the side of the board (marked with a green line below) - the soldermask can easily be scraped off the trace with a small flathead screwdriver.
Looks like my package will be arrive in the morning. To clarify, what do I need to scrape off? Just part of the 0V trace so my solder can make joint to the contact?
Yes, just the soldermask over the 0V copper trace so you can then solder on to that trace. A small flathead screwdriver scrapes it off easily enough.

Return to “BugBrand Devices”