Xaoc Odessa, 1975 Variable Spectrum Harmonic Cluster VCO

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
peachesandbacon
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Xaoc Odessa, 1975 Variable Spectrum Harmonic Cluster VCO

Post by peachesandbacon »

ronnieb wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:17 am
peachesandbacon wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:01 am I’m having a rather strange issue, and I’m not sure if it’s just me or there’s something up with my Odessa.

The bank knob seems to only function at 12 o clock. If I have it in any other position, the majority of the partials disappear and only 3 lights remain on in the power spectrum ring.

No matter where I put the bank length, this happens.

I’m monitoring both odd and even outputs, but the sounds that come out when the bank isn’t at 12 o clock are very minimal and quiet.

Am I just being an idiot or is something wrong? When watching demo videos it seems that my unit is functioning differently when I turn the bank knob.
As a bit of a random shout, is the voice button flashing? You may have inadvertently turned on the input for the Leibniz system which can turn on and off partials
Ronnie, you're a freakin' genius.
That was exactly what was happening. I held it down to turn it off, and everything is back to normal.

Thank you so much, I was going crazy, and the way the voice light flashes to show that it's turned on, is very subtle, so I didn't notice.

I didn't even realise you COULD turn that mode on without having one of the Leibniz modules connected to the back.

So, I guess a second question. With this turned on, is it accurately simulating what it WOULD do if a Leibniz module was connected?

I assume it would do more, as it wasn't doing very much when it was flashing.
TheArpEffect
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TheArpEffect »

Gonna put the 'no dumb questions' theory to the test...

I've read that the Hel expander inputs are quantized...does that mean that you could mult a sequencer output and it would then generate a chord (3rd, 5th etc)

Or that you need to use something to generate those pitches (like harmonaig or O_C) and then feed them in.

I think the latter but just wanted to check.

Just got my odessa, hel is on the way!
scragz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by scragz »

TheArpEffect wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:32 pm Gonna put the 'no dumb questions' theory to the test...

I've read that the Hel expander inputs are quantized...does that mean that you could mult a sequencer output and it would then generate a chord (3rd, 5th etc)

Or that you need to use something to generate those pitches (like harmonaig or O_C) and then feed them in.

There wouldn't be a way for it to know what chord you are playing. It quantizes each input to the nearest semitone.
TheArpEffect
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TheArpEffect »

Yeah of course...thanks for confirming!! :tu:
Raindeer
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Raindeer »

TheArpEffect wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:32 pm Or that you need to use something to generate those pitches (like harmonaig or O_C) and then feed them in.
Yep, this is a good way to do it.
peachesandbacon
Veteran Wiggler

scragz wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:34 pm
TheArpEffect wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:32 pm Gonna put the 'no dumb questions' theory to the test...

There wouldn't be a way for it to know what chord you are playing. It quantizes each input to the nearest semitone.
Exactly!

The downside to this is you can’t get slewed / glide / legato stuff through Hel.
Bit of a shame.
daddy_shark
Learning to Wiggle

Post by daddy_shark »

Hi,
I was long planning to get an Odessa+Hel but just grabbed Loom 2 (on sale for 30eur) which I can use and modulate via ES-9/VCV Rack. Please convince me that I still need the Odessa! ;)

Cheers
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief »

I'm demoing Loom right now and it doesn't sound much like Odessa.

Besides the obvious differences between a VST plugin and a Eurorack module:

Odessa runs at some megahertz sample rate on an FPGA. Loom runs at whatever your host rate is (44.1? 48? 96?)

Odessa is sort of like using the Comb Filter + Lowpass on Loom in theory, but in practice they don't sound much alike.

The band splitting and multiplier on Odessa don't seem to exist in Loom (it only does odd/even and you don't get to have them both on separate outputs simultaneously).

Tension doesn't exist in Loom (there's "spectral distortion" but none of the models work the way Tension does).

Loom cannot be FM'd; Odessa has expo FM and linear TZFM.

Loom does have a bunch of features Odessa doesn't, if you're into those. Nothing I encountered really made me sit up and take notice, and I won't be spending the $29 for a license. I'll stick with Odessa :)
daddy_shark
Learning to Wiggle

Post by daddy_shark »

starthief wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:34 am I'm demoing Loom right now and it doesn't sound much like Odessa.

Besides the obvious differences between a VST plugin and a Eurorack module:

Odessa runs at some megahertz sample rate on an FPGA. Loom runs at whatever your host rate is (44.1? 48? 96?)

Odessa is sort of like using the Comb Filter + Lowpass on Loom in theory, but in practice they don't sound much alike.

The band splitting and multiplier on Odessa don't seem to exist in Loom (it only does odd/even and you don't get to have them both on separate outputs simultaneously).

Tension doesn't exist in Loom (there's "spectral distortion" but none of the models work the way Tension does).

Loom cannot be FM'd; Odessa has expo FM and linear TZFM.

Loom does have a bunch of features Odessa doesn't, if you're into those. Nothing I encountered really made me sit up and take notice, and I won't be spending the $29 for a license. I'll stick with Odessa :)
Thank you - that was very helpful :)
damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase »

just coming by to drop my extreme love for odessa, recorded more amazing stuff this week with it.
To me, seems such a unique sound that really does great things to my ears. i wouldnt know how else to get this kind of expression

RE: Hel expander, i ended up removing it, for myself i find it better not to think of odessa as a chord machine
but LIPSK... is an excellent expander. maybe im wrong but i think there is plenty of ways to mask the partials that wouldnt be otherwise possible without lipsk, and the ability to use gates on an oscillator is also unique and cool to me.
vectorwarrior
Common Wiggler

Post by vectorwarrior »

Would love to see how to use lipsk with Odessa, didn't realise that was possible! Curious what kind of sounds that would spit out!
Last edited by vectorwarrior on Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas »

vectorwarrior wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:54 pm Would love to see how to use lipsk with Odessa, didn't realise that was possible! Curious what cm kind of sounds that would spit out!
peachesandbacon
Veteran Wiggler

damase wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:29 am but LIPSK... is an excellent expander. maybe im wrong but i think there is plenty of ways to mask the partials that wouldnt be otherwise possible without lipsk, and the ability to use gates on an oscillator is also unique and cool to me.
Wow.
How does Lipsk work with Odessa?! It connects to the back of Odessa like Hel?
damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase »

peachesandbacon wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:29 pm
damase wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:29 am but LIPSK... is an excellent expander. maybe im wrong but i think there is plenty of ways to mask the partials that wouldnt be otherwise possible without lipsk, and the ability to use gates on an oscillator is also unique and cool to me.
Wow.
yep, just plugs in and the buttons or inputs give you on/off access to certain partials.
while its not necessity to get cool sounds from odessa, i find it worth the 6hp to get the extra sound design depth. and i'm pressured for hp too
etckla
Ultra Wiggler

Post by etckla »

damase wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:49 pm
Wow.
yep, just plugs in and the buttons or inputs give you on/off access to certain partials.
while its not necessity to get cool sounds from odessa, i find it worth the 6hp to get the extra sound design depth. and i'm pressured for hp too
That is cool. Are there any demos available?
I assume this doesn't turn on/of the fundamental?
damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase »

etckla wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:32 am
Wow.
i dont think so
you can carve out some of the frequencies down lower closer to the fundamental, which i think can make a surprising difference on how the sound is sitting in a mix
but also then maybe high pass easier if your goal is to lose the fundamental sine wave and keep the higher frequencies
ronnieb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ronnieb »

damase wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:18 am
Wow.
i dont think so
you can carve out some of the frequencies down lower closer to the fundamental, which i think can make a surprising difference on how the sound is sitting in a mix
but also then maybe high pass easier if your goal is to lose the fundamental sine wave and keep the higher frequencies
The high pass would have to track the same v/oct too though unless you are working with a static pitch.
I think the easiest away to remove the fundamental is to just mix an inverted copy of the fundamental with the other outputs?
etckla
Ultra Wiggler

Post by etckla »

ronnieb wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:14 am
damase wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:18 am
Wow.
i dont think so
The high pass would have to track the same v/oct too though unless you are working with a static pitch.
I think the easiest away to remove the fundamental is to just mix an inverted copy of the fundamental with the other outputs?
Ah sorry to bring up this old Odessa topic! But since we're here...

The most reliable way I've found to do it is to run even and odd outputs into a "difference" function. Since the only common thing between those outputs is the fundamental, this will get removed. The downside is that you now have a mix of even and odd partials. I haven't worked out a way to just get even OR odd.

The reason even minus fundamental doesnt work too well is that the level of the fundamental is dynamic, depending on various knob positions.

High pass is another option, yes.

Back on topic, would Love to hear some demos of Odessa + Lipsk if anyone wants to take the time!
yrn1
Common Wiggler

Post by yrn1 »

etckla wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:23 am ...
The reason even minus fundamental doesnt work too well is that the level of the fundamental is dynamic, depending on various knob positions.
Aha! Now I understand why I didn't get any satisfactory result with the 'difference' method!
damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase »

spent a few hours yesterday just droning odessa >bark filter.... a great combo
i plugged in some of the higher frequency filters' envelope followers into Lipsk, which greats some great feedback between the movements on the knobs since odessa will create such a variety of higher frequencies that are often shifting around
and just overall bark filter brings some great warmth into odessa's sound
Morog Far
Common Wiggler

Post by Morog Far »

etckla wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:23 am Back on topic, would Love to hear some demos of Odessa + Lipsk if anyone wants to take the time!
Would also really appreciate that! Or even better a short video, since I still can't grasp what happening when the two get together and why that differs from other CV inputs.
damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase »

Morog Far wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:43 am
etckla wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:23 am Back on topic, would Love to hear some demos of Odessa + Lipsk if anyone wants to take the time!
Would also really appreciate that! Or even better a short video, since I still can't grasp what happening when the two get together and why that differs from other CV inputs.
i dont have the greatest setup for taking videos at the moment, been wanting to change that!

as my best description in words i would say imagine what the big knob "Partials" does, except the partials knob works by adding the sine waves on the top where Lipsk buttons each On/Off their own little 'segment' of the partials... its as if the range of partials were divided into 8 different regions of on/off control.

depending on the other settings in the module(especially where the big knob is set to highlight), turning on/off some of these Lipsk 'segments' can have a small effect or it can be dramatic. also seems to bring some big difference between the even and odd outputs sometimes. for the most part i have no clue what im doing i just try things and its all a massive sweet spot anyway
liquid_bard
Common Wiggler

Post by liquid_bard »

...but using Lipsk is mainly for explicit controls and any leibniz module would work, right?
Morog Far
Common Wiggler

Post by Morog Far »

damase wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:00 am as my best description in words i would say imagine what the big knob "Partials" does, except the partials knob works by adding the sine waves on the top where Lipsk buttons each On/Off their own little 'segment' of the partials... its as if the range of partials were divided into 8 different regions of on/off control.

depending on the other settings in the module(especially where the big knob is set to highlight), turning on/off some of these Lipsk 'segments' can have a small effect or it can be dramatic. also seems to bring some big difference between the even and odd outputs sometimes. for the most part i have no clue what im doing i just try things and its all a massive sweet spot anyway
I see, that clears it up a lot, thanks! For things like this it would be really nice to know someone who owns the module or have a shop around to try and see how it feels. I've got some unallocated space in my rack and I find the whole Leibniz range really intriguing, but it's hard to tell how much I'd benefit from owning just one or two of the modules compared to getting other modulation sources. I'll ponder some more and get more familiar with my Odessa befoer making that decision, I guess :D
Crevice
Common Wiggler

Post by Crevice »

Can someone please explain how to use Hel like I'm a 5 year old? I'm really close to unracking hel and just using Odessa by itself.

When using hel should I not be using the main 1v/oct? What exactly am I sending to Hel? For example my sequencer is a vector and I can take pitch out and patch that into root, but where do my other sources come from for 2-5? Am I supposed to sequence 3 different tracks on vector and make each track a separate note on a chord and then send each of those individual pitch outputs to hel? I am just looking for more specifics on what people are sending to hel and how.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”