Rossum Electro-Music Mob of Emus

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
OHEXOH
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Rossum Electro-Music Mob of Emus

Post by OHEXOH »

texturerama wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:40 pm
OHEXOH wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:33 pm I think this is what you’re after, it’s not quite the same as channels are moved apart but the vibe is similar. From the manual…
In Hex Mode, Option 1 controls the Warp function. Warp bends the individual channel frequencies in the style of a frequency shifter. With conventional frequency adjustment, the harmonic relationships between a sound’s spectral elements are preserved. So, while the pitch changes, each individual harmonic element maintains its relative relationship to the rest of the harmonic elements. As a result, the timbre of the sound remains generally constant as the overall pitch changes.

With warping, each harmonic element (i.e., channel) is shifted individually, producing a variety of clangorous, swarming textures.

When the knob is at 12 o’clock, there is no warping. As the knob is turned clockwise, the channels are spread apart, with the odd- numbered channels being shifted lower and the even-numbered channels being shifted higher.
Sorry for the late response but thank you so much for pointing this out to me. Yes, this does indeed seem to be what I'm looking for.

It's hard for me to imagine how to set this up since there's so much depth to this module and its various modes. Would you recommend it? What do you find yourself using it for the most?

Thanks!
I'll be honest, I have a love/hate relationship with it.

Love :love:
  • 6 channels in 16hp that each can be LFOs / patterns of triggers / envelopes / S&H / Noise
  • Channels can work together or independently
  • Channels can be attenuated saving the need for external attenuators elsewhere
  • 6 channel quantizer
  • Interesting use of harmonic series to create modulation / drum patterns
  • Build quality is solid as always from Rossum
  • The 1.1 update really made this more powerful
Hate :evil:
  • I struggle to understand what's going on a lot of the time - ha! You can make the LEDs display the outputs but you can't fully use the module when it's doing this. I also find the LEDs hard to 'read'. (It would benefit from an oscilloscope or some LED jacks perma-plugged into the outputs)
  • There are some single / double 'shift' modes which need to be memorized - for me specifically I can never remember the modes for the bottom 4 knobs
  • Panel is very dense and it's easy to nudge knobs by accident
  • I wish the wave forms were blendable - this would make for more interesting sounds & modulation
  • Using the waveforms & envelopes to control audio / filter VCAs can get quite 'clicky' because there's no way to tame the attack
  • I wish the DC offset was more than 1v
I think for a small system it could be invaluable as the Mob of Emus can do a lot. I'd say Just Friends is easier to use overall though is limited in many ways... whereas MoE is more flexible but requires more conscious effort when using it.
Seance Fiction // https://ohexoh.bandcamp.com
OHEXOH
Ultra Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH »

dBVelocity wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:15 pm To the second part, a long press and hold until the LEDs indicate CV assign, continue holding and make the choice of CV type, then the destination channel if needed. If it's the destination channel led not lit when pressed I'd assume it's possible that another CV may already be addressed to that destination with the same type.
This just blew me away. Wow - I had no idea that multiple CV input assignments can be made to a single channel. :hail:

Also - if anyone with the MoE is struggling to understand what is going on and also does not have a scope, I highly recommend getting some LED jacks (I got these from Amazon: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FWQ8RKQ/ - you can also buy singles too from some modular stores). If you use a stackcable or a mult then you can have these permanently wired to the MoE until the channel you're working on is all dialled in. You can also use any other modules that receive CV and display the input with an LED (like WMD Tool-box or even Metropolix).

For me. once I got used to seeing the results of my actions everything became a lot clearer.

I hope Rossum expands their modules in the future to include more useful LEDs - the single red ones suck.
texturerama
Ultra Wiggler

Post by texturerama »

Oh man, ok. Yeah this seems like a module that would require a tremendous amount of focused study to really incorporate into patches. Thanks for your detailed response!
OHEXOH
Ultra Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH »

texturerama wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:12 am Oh man, ok. Yeah this seems like a module that would require a tremendous amount of focused study to really incorporate into patches. Thanks for your detailed response!
FWIW - I put the MoE back into my rack and decided to really use it as much as possible. In repeated use, it all starts to become very clear. It's a powerful module indeed. Well worth it.
OHEXOH
Ultra Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH »

I'm having issues with Hex Mode and reassigning a CV input to Hex Harmonic Gain (channel + double tap preset 4 button).

It doesn't seem to do anything. The other Hex Mode destinations do, just not this one. Anyone else notice this? Am I doing it wrong?
OHEXOH
Ultra Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH »

OK - so on deeper playing, I'm definitely doing something wrong though I'm now more in a "I don't understand Single CV Assignment for Hex Mode" kind of place.

Hear me out... when you re-assign an input (eg: input 1) to something else (like frequency) nothing happens because 2 destinations are now set to receive frequency—inputs 1 and inputs 6 and MoE defaults to the highest input number. So to get input 1 to control frequency, you need to re-assign input 6 to something else. (Phew!)

I do understand that you can now re-assign any inputs to enable Hex WARP and Hex DC which were not previously available. But beyond that, what is the point of input re-assign for Hex mode when the options that are available are already assigned by default?

Can anyone provide a use case that can help me understand the purpose of CV input reassign for Hex mode.

THX

PS: I find the Rossum manuals overly verbose and really hard to understand.
Yloopz
Common Wiggler

Post by Yloopz »

Never mind, working as it should after second time updating...

I have a question. Is it normal that receiving an external trigger all the channel LEDs lit on receiving a pulse. I have got two channels that are not in one shot but still see the channel light up at receiving trigger.
My imagination is my inspiration...
Instagram: @jungleofwires
OHEXOH
Ultra Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH »

Yloopz wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:57 am Never mind, working as it should after second time updating...

I have a question. Is it normal that receiving an external trigger all the channel LEDs lit on receiving a pulse. I have got two channels that are not in one shot but still see the channel light up at receiving trigger.
If you want only certain channels to accept a trigger and others not - you will need to set the Tap Trig Mode (page 11 in manual) and reassign the CV input (pg 42 in the manual).
fruitsnake
Veteran Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake »

Yloopz wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:57 am Never mind, working as it should after second time updating...

That's normal behavior in "trig" mode; the tap/trig input retriggers all channels regardless of their individual settings. In "tap" mode, the tap/trig input simply sets the base tempo/pitch.
Yloopz
Common Wiggler

Post by Yloopz »

fruitsnake wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:43 pm
Yloopz wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:57 am
That's normal behavior in "trig" mode; the tap/trig input retriggers all channels regardless of their individual settings. In "tap" mode, the tap/trig input simply sets the base tempo/pitch.
Thanks, I have got this behavior at 2 modes. When I switch to the default mode the 1 shot output doesn't get triggered. I am gonna try out some more later this week.

Man this module is deep. I have a lot of experience with modular (euro rack, banana) but this is the first module where my head is spinning and that I didn't get instant gratification. Even deep modules like ER-301/101, ornament and crime and Nerdseq doesn't scare me. But this one is so cramped in layers of options. Still think this is a great addition to a small performance set up once you got the hang of it. And what others say... A module like Mordax Data is very handy with this. Luckily I have a one.
OHEXOH
Ultra Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH »

Yloopz wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:26 am
fruitsnake wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:43 pm
Yloopz wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:57 am
Thanks, I have got this behavior at 2 modes. When I switch to the default mode the 1 shot output doesn't get triggered. I am gonna try out some more later this week.

Man this module is deep. I have a lot of experience with modular (euro rack, banana) but this is the first module where my head is spinning and that I didn't get instant gratification. Even deep modules like ER-301/101, ornament and crime and Nerdseq doesn't scare me. But this one is so cramped in layers of options. Still think this is a great addition to a small performance set up once you got the hang of it. And what others say... A module like Mordax Data is very handy with this. Luckily I have a one.
It gets easier, and you're correct, it is very powerful especially in a small system
mixxalot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mixxalot »

I love the amazing tones from the MOE that I get but it must be the most obtuse confusing module in my setup to master. I wish that Rossum had put a screen and menu system on it. Anyways to hear folks experience in modular having trouble wrapping their heads around it is an encouragement to me as I am fairly new to modular synths. I use my Data oscilloscope to better understand what it does and how changes result. It is fun to use with my Rossum trident and Morpheus filter.
OHEXOH
Ultra Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH »

Another tip, even though there are 6 channels and multiple modes, start small by focussing on a single channel.

You can do a lot with a single channel... It can be an oscillator, LFO, envelope, trigger sequencer... observe how changing Octave or Harmonic # can multiply things up/down... play with Variation and see how it can skip/ratchett the output etc.

See how the inputs can then modulate and control that single channel.

Once you understand what's going on, try 2 channels. Etc.

At any point if you get 'lost', reset the module back to it's default state (TAP + HEX + OPTION + PRESET 2) and start again.

Note to Rossum (if they even read this) - being able to reset a single channel would be super useful.
Yloopz
Common Wiggler

Post by Yloopz »

OHEXOH wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:30 pm Another tip, even though there are 6 channels and multiple modes, start small by focussing on a single channel.

You can do a lot with a single channel... It can be an oscillator, LFO, envelope, trigger sequencer... observe how changing Octave or Harmonic # can multiply things up/down... play with Variation and see how it can skip/ratchett the output etc.

See how the inputs can then modulate and control that single channel.

Once you understand what's going on, try 2 channels. Etc.

At any point if you get 'lost', reset the module back to it's default state (TAP + HEX + OPTION + PRESET 2) and start again.

Note to Rossum (if they even read this) - being able to reset a single channel would be super useful.
This is a great tip and that is what I did as well.
wavejockey
Veteran Wiggler

Post by wavejockey »

OHEXOH wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:30 pm
they should make that a button combo on all their (digital) modules

@sambotstein are you receiving this?
OHEXOH
Ultra Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH »

I posted this in response to a question on another thread about the Harmonic aspects of the MoE. The question was about using the MoE as a harmonic oscillator... but my original comment was using the harmonic aspects of the MoE for slower non audio rate modulation & pattern generation. Anyways, it might be useful here too

The oscillator aspect of the Harmonic setting can be explored quite easily.

Start from a clean state by pressing and holding for 2 seconds "TAP+HEX+OPTION+PRESET 2", this will reset the module to some basic settings (HEX mode with series of sine waves at different pitches/harmonics). Turn up the OCTAVE knob fully CW and listen to the MIX output. You should hear a soft sine chord. You can adjust the levels of each channel (harmonic) by turning the GAIN knob CCW+CW. When turning CCW the higher harmonics are slowly faded out - attenuating the higher frequencies.

From here, press and hold OPTION and then turn the HARM# knob. Because you're in HEX mode you will cycle through the various preset Harmonics Series. You should hear the difference quite easily (make sure MIX is not fully CCW). There are 2 'pages' of Harmonic Series presets. Access the 2nd set by double tapping and holding the OPTION button.

(Note: if you're in HEX mode and you forget to press OPTION when turning the HARM# knob you will switch off / mute the channels - this catches me out a few times).

Some more cool stuff you can do from here... whilst browsing the Harmonic Series (and whilst still holding OPTION) turn the VARIATION knob. You will get some neat dissonant tones as each channel slowly spreads apart or swarms together. Get a Super Saw by setting the VARIATION knob to about 1 o'clock and changing the WAVE knob to SAW.

You can manually override specific channel settings by clicking on a CHANNEL button (so it lights red) and then adjusting the pitch via the FREQ / OCTAVE knobs or via the HARM# knob (which will change in Harmonic increments).

All this is really interesting to explore. However, what I meant in my post above was using these harmonic ratios at slower speeds. For example, reset back to a default state and then change the WAVE shape to square. Connect up each output to a drum input (for example). Slow down the speed via the OCTAVE knob (maybe even holding OPTION to x2 the speed further down). Then play with the HARM# knob and hear the different patterns that are generated. Even cooler is using the VARIATION knob to push those triggers apart or swarm them together.

This ratio / harmonic side of music blows my mind... :party:
joskery
Veteran Wiggler

Post by joskery »

OHEXOH wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:42 pm I posted this in response to a question on another thread about the Harmonic aspects of the MoE. The question was about using the MoE as a harmonic oscillator... but my original comment was using the harmonic aspects of the MoE for slower non audio rate modulation & pattern generation. Anyways, it might be useful here too

The oscillator aspect of the Harmonic setting can be explored quite easily.

Start from a clean state by pressing and holding for 2 seconds "TAP+HEX+OPTION+PRESET 2", this will reset the module to some basic settings (HEX mode with series of sine waves at different pitches/harmonics). Turn up the OCTAVE knob fully CW and listen to the MIX output. You should hear a soft sine chord. You can adjust the levels of each channel (harmonic) by turning the GAIN knob CCW+CW. When turning CCW the higher harmonics are slowly faded out - attenuating the higher frequencies.

From here, press and hold OPTION and then turn the HARM# knob. Because you're in HEX mode you will cycle through the various preset Harmonics Series. You should hear the difference quite easily (make sure MIX is not fully CCW). There are 2 'pages' of Harmonic Series presets. Access the 2nd set by double tapping and holding the OPTION button.

(Note: if you're in HEX mode and you forget to press OPTION when turning the HARM# knob you will switch off / mute the channels - this catches me out a few times).

Some more cool stuff you can do from here... whilst browsing the Harmonic Series (and whilst still holding OPTION) turn the VARIATION knob. You will get some neat dissonant tones as each channel slowly spreads apart or swarms together. Get a Super Saw by setting the VARIATION knob to about 1 o'clock and changing the WAVE knob to SAW.

You can manually override specific channel settings by clicking on a CHANNEL button (so it lights red) and then adjusting the pitch via the FREQ / OCTAVE knobs or via the HARM# knob (which will change in Harmonic increments).

All this is really interesting to explore. However, what I meant in my post above was using these harmonic ratios at slower speeds. For example, reset back to a default state and then change the WAVE shape to square. Connect up each output to a drum input (for example). Slow down the speed via the OCTAVE knob (maybe even holding OPTION to x2 the speed further down). Then play with the HARM# knob and hear the different patterns that are generated. Even cooler is using the VARIATION knob to push those triggers apart or swarm them together.

This ratio / harmonic side of music blows my mind... :party:
I was the person asking the question - thanks so much for this. This is a full brief, waiting for the next time I have some music time. Much appreciated!
ben jah men
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ben jah men »

I'm looking for an oscillator to tune out minor chords and run sequences to. I know it used to be Intelligel Shapeshifter for that kind of thing. But the reason I'm back on the hunt for this is because I'm looking to use the Morpheus and Linneus to filter said chord stabs... Which got me thinking about this or the Trident as the source.

Can this module do a 3 note triad, plus root one octave down, plus noise? That's a common starting point for my synth patches [Prophet 5, or plugins].

I also like it as modulation. I think. It can be a suped up version of the old Dr Octature right? Except 6 phase shifted points rather than 8 I suppose.

Was thinking maybe 2 of these in my case. 1 for VCO stack and one for Modulation. Maybe keep my Maths for basic jammable envelope duties.
Jturbide
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Jturbide »

If you send each different note to a different channel you can do chords no problem. I often use the MoE for that. You can't send it a single note and have it doing the chords for you tho. (Unless I missed that)
OHEXOH
Ultra Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH »

Jturbide wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:51 pm If you send each different note to a different channel you can do chords no problem. I often use the MoE for that. You can't send it a single note and have it doing the chords for you tho. (Unless I missed that)
You can tune a single chord and then transpose it up and down. It's not true chord playing, but would work and give you the early house / techno chord vibes.
fruitsnake
Veteran Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake »

You could probably just send it one pitch cv in Hex mode and change between chords with careful sequencing of the Morph parameter.
ben jah men
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ben jah men »

House/techno vibe is what I'm after
OHEXOH
Ultra Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH »

Anyone have any luck getting usable FM sounds out of th MoE? I’ve tried sending the out of one channel into the Freq of another channel but the results haven’t been great. I’m probably doing something wrong… any tips?
fruitsnake
Veteran Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake »

If you want to get any really useful FM sounds, you'll have to set the cv input of your modulator channels to "gain" and send them an envelope or lfo to give the tone some motion. Otherwise it just sounds either kinda boring or overly complex.
OHEXOH
Ultra Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH »

fruitsnake wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:25 pm If you want to get any really useful FM sounds, you'll have to set the cv input of your modulator channels to "gain" and send them an envelope or lfo to give the tone some motion. Otherwise it just sounds either kinda boring or overly complex.
Makes sense. I’ll give that a try. What I have noticed is the freq input (inputs in general?) seems to stop reacting when modulated at high audio rate frequencies… anyone else notice that?

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”