Intellijel Steppy 1U : 4 x 64 Trigger Sequencer

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

cg_funk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cg_funk »

scottmfr wrote:That's awesome cg_funk! Would you mind either posting it to the Intellijel forum or if I posted it there? I'm sure users there would find it useful.

Also I'm not sure if there's room, but it might be worth mentioning how you can copy Tracks and Pages in Select Mode.

Also, let me know if there's anything Steppy related that you want to see demonstrated in a video.
Oh sure, that would be really cool if you could share it with the Intellijel forum as well.

Good idea, I updated the PDF to add some info about the copy/paste function, somehow I missed that one. same link as before:
Pale Rider
Common Wiggler

Post by Pale Rider »

Can I ask a very dumb question-
I use my setup more for ambient/drone work & processing-
could this be used in that fashion at all, or it really more for clocking and beat work?

yes, I know nothing.
nothing.
cg_funk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cg_funk »

Pale Rider wrote:Can I ask a very dumb question-
could this be used in that fashion at all, or it really more for clocking and beat work?

yes, I know nothing.
nothing.
Dunno if this helps you think out of the box, but I am planning to play with the Steppy as a sequencer. Take the four outs of Steppy and put them into a mixer like Quadratt, use the knobs to set the levels of each channel and then quantize the Out to a scale. You can use the same strategy with a slew-limiter to make all kinds of complex CV modulations.

So, yeah, I mean with modular the sky is the limit. Everything is CV. I am sure you could work a Shifty into your Drone effects chain someplace if you wanted to.
Brennanib
Common Wiggler

Post by Brennanib »

Another reason to buy a Intellijel 7u case any idea when the stealth cases will be available again? Also small stealth cases, or am I dreaming here?
@brennanfowlerib
@patchnbrew
@motsgso

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC177iw ... ZO6a8Yu6Sg
Dragonaut wrote:PMed for Cat...
kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk »

Pale Rider wrote:Can I ask a very dumb question-

yes, I know nothing.
nothing.
It's definitely not only for beat work. That's just the most obvious use case. But you can use it for triggering any kind of events in your system. There's no limit to how slow of a clock you can feed it, so you can have pretty infrequent events. With the randomization feature you can easily add variations too. It also makes a handy clock divider.
Intellijel R&D
kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk »

Brennanib wrote:Another reason to buy a Intellijel 7u case any idea when the stealth cases will be available again? Also small stealth cases, or am I dreaming here?
Your best bet is to contact your favourite retailers and see if they have stock. We have a large number of cases in production right now, but afaik they are mostly spoken for by dealer backorders, so it may be a while before any appear on our website.
Intellijel R&D
bitbin
Common Wiggler

Post by bitbin »

Hi all,

I made a video looking at an overview of this module a week or so back. I had literally had the module a day before I did this.

Its a definite keeper for me. So much playability and ease of use!

[video][/video]
secrethero303
Common Wiggler

Post by secrethero303 »

Brennanib wrote:Another reason to buy a Intellijel 7u case any idea when the stealth cases will be available again? Also small stealth cases, or am I dreaming here?
Control Voltage and Sweetwater both have the 7U cases in stock right now.
Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft »

bitbin wrote:Hi all,

I made a video looking at an overview of this module a week or so back. I had literally had the module a day before I did this.

Its a definite keeper for me. So much playability and ease of use!
Excellent video—caught this when you were live streaming, and ordered a Steppy as soon as I could. It’s surprisingly powerful for such a small module. I find myself gravitating towards powerful compact multichannel modules. They’re a good way to keep my rig small for performances.
bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 »

Been playing around with Steppy the last few evenings and excellent work Intellijel team! So much functionality in such a small footprint. Sorry to be"that guy" with this question but would like to ask if it might be possible through a firmware update for Steppy to boot up in the last state it was in before powering down? Thanks again!
HARGOW
Learning to Wiggle

Post by HARGOW »

bc3 wrote:Been playing around with Steppy the last few evenings and excellent work Intellijel team! So much functionality in such a small footprint. Sorry to be"that guy" with this question but would like to ask if it might be possible through a firmware update for Steppy to boot up in the last state it was in before powering down? Thanks again!
Glad you're enjoying it!

Currently it loads the last saved preset. So if you dedicate a slot for your "last state", you can just do a quick save before power off, it will load it when it boots.

The reason it doesn't save the state with every change (that's a lot of saving) is to reduce wear on the flash memory.
slow wild, electric ropes
https://slowwild.party
djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa »

Well done Intellijel
bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 »

HARGOW wrote:
bc3 wrote:Been playing around with Steppy the last few evenings and excellent work Intellijel team! So much functionality in such a small footprint. Sorry to be"that guy" with this question but would like to ask if it might be possible through a firmware update for Steppy to boot up in the last state it was in before powering down? Thanks again!
Glad you're enjoying it!

Currently it loads the last saved preset. So if you dedicate a slot for your "last state", you can just do a quick save before power off, it will load it when it boots.

The reason it doesn't save the state with every change (that's a lot of saving) is to reduce wear on the flash memory.
excellent, thanks for the tip!
Ebotronix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Ebotronix »

If got a steppy
but I cannot save or load anything!
kathinka.
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kathinka. »

bc3 wrote:The reason it doesn't save the state with every change (that's a lot of saving) is to reduce wear on the flash memory.
ok. i also was wondering about it. 8-)
badjeff
Learning to Wiggle

Post by badjeff »

I just bought the steppy and hooked it up and it seems stuck in reverse! the sequence leds are moving from right to left rather than left to right. I'm stumped. this is with a standard clock from pam's.
Dragonaut
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut »

I don't see anything in the manual about it being able to step in reverse so it would appear that something is definitely wrong.
intellijel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by intellijel »

Dragonaut wrote:I don't see anything in the manual about it being able to step in reverse so it would appear that something is definitely wrong.
Super easy to fix: If you hold "SELECT" (black button) when you boot, the unit should flash. At this point you can let go of "SELECT" and Steppy will be sequence in the correct direction henceforth.
badjeff
Learning to Wiggle

Post by badjeff »

amazing! thank you! that totally worked! :nana:
BTG
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BTG »

mine was also stuck in reverse. I spent the better part of an hour reading the manual and going through tutorials and nothing was working right. Glad I stumbled on this or I likely would have returned it.

This was a brand new unit fwiw.
kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk »

Nothing to do with whether it was new or old, the firmware is the same for the 1U and 3U versions but the 3U version buttons are reversed. It must have just got flipped during testing at some point. If you ever have any issues with modules you should contact our customer support, they are great at sorting things out.
Intellijel R&D
reinklang
Learning to Wiggle

Post by reinklang »

Having a lot of fun with this module. Super easy to use, even in live performance situations. I have a feature request for a future firmware update:

Implement a mode which jumps to a random pattern preset every time a reset is received. This would allow some more interesting pattern sequences.

Also, I‘m wondering why Loopy mode state isn‘t saved with a preset like the other options.
friends don't let friends clap on 1 and 3.
slowwild
Common Wiggler

Post by slowwild »

reinklang wrote:Having a lot of fun with this module. Super easy to use, even in live performance situations. I have a feature request for a future firmware update:

Implement a mode which jumps to a random pattern preset every time a reset is received. This would allow some more interesting pattern sequences.

Also, I‘m wondering why Loopy mode state isn‘t saved with a preset like the other options.
We'll note it for when we plan future updates.

As for loopy mode and all of the select page (yellow) options, they are just module/performance state, not part of the pattern or sequence, and not saved with the preset.

thanks for the feedback!
a boi at intellijel
slowwild
Common Wiggler

Re: Intellijel Steppy 1U : 4 x 64 Trigger Sequencer

Post by slowwild »

Big update for our little module!

Steppy 1U/3U v1.2.1

FIXED: Track Probability is now applied to the current position, and will not randomize individual ratchets.
NEW: Latching Loopy mode . When Holding down Loopy steps, tap the SEL button to Latch your loop. Press a step button to release. If you change your Loopy steps, you will need to press SEL to latch them again.
NEW: Delayed load . When on the LOAD page, you can hold a preset to have it load when the current pattern reaches its last step on track 1.
NEW: Muted tap entry mode . When in TAP Recording Mode, you can press the “PROB” button to toggle muting your taps. The ABCD buttons will turn Yellow to indicate Muted.
NEW: Step Edit mode (per-step gate length, delay, probability (and still Ratchets) . This changes the UI for editing ratchets, as you can now edit 3 other parameters.

All the new stuff is covered in the updated manual!

Download the update and the manual here as always: https://intellijel.com/support/
a boi at intellijel
nuttymad
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Intellijel Steppy 1U : 4 x 64 Trigger Sequencer

Post by nuttymad »

Fantastic update! Probability and delay per step is everything.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”