Graphic Waveform Generator Model 268e

Post Reply
User avatar
traffkin
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 719
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:23 am
Location: Tbilisi
Contact:

Graphic Waveform Generator Model 268e

Post by traffkin »

We here at Keen Association, are very proud again to introduce our Graphic Waveform Generator Model 268e, the module we've been designing, experimenting with and improving during last two years.

The main idea is a virtual tape upon which any waveform is drawable, by hand or automatically. Possible everlasting phase-shifting makes the sound vivid and mercurial.

268e is a quad system so the user gets four oscillators, freely configurable. We started to design it as a compliment to our Model 220 but later realised that it fits perfectly in any controller paradigm.

photo_2022-01-10 19.55.23.jpeg

the run is 20 units, as usual

people who interested, please pm me


technical stuff:

268e_manual_en.pdf
(48.77 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
update_routine.pdf
(14.48 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
keen_model_268e_v1.1.1.hex.zip
(129.17 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Last edited by traffkin on Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:53 pm, edited 9 times in total.
headquarter: http://keenass.xyz
User avatar
Synesthesia
Northern Light Modular
Posts: 1577
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:35 am
Location: Limerick, Ireland
Contact:

Post by Synesthesia »

Hey !

looks fantastic. :yay:

any idea of price yet ?
User avatar
LaBelleAurore
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2848
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:17 pm
Location: Bolton

Post by LaBelleAurore »

Does it work with the 200e preset manager?
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

Thank You Cleveland, Good Night!

User avatar
deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1620
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:41 pm
Location: Gainesville, FL

Post by deltaphoenix »

Yes it does work with the 200e preset manager.
User avatar
lumin
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:05 am
Location: Miami
Contact:

Post by lumin »

been repeating to myself "must. not. start. a. modular."
this looks really cool
User avatar
smurphd
Common Wiggler
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:43 am
Location: denmark

Post by smurphd »

lumin wrote:been repeating to myself "must. not. start. a. modular."
this looks really cool
You've been repeating that since 2011?
User avatar
traffkin
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 719
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:23 am
Location: Tbilisi
Contact:

Post by traffkin »

yes it does :)
mritenburg wrote:Does it work with the 200e preset manager?
User avatar
traffkin
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 719
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:23 am
Location: Tbilisi
Contact:

Post by traffkin »

sorry! info updated
Synesthesia wrote:Hey !

looks fantastic. :yay:

any idea of price yet ?
User avatar
traffkin
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 719
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:23 am
Location: Tbilisi
Contact:

Post by traffkin »

:tu:
deltaphoenix wrote:Yes it does work with the 200e preset manager.
User avatar
ritchiedrums
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1514
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:58 pm
Location: Groton, New York
Contact:

Post by ritchiedrums »

[video][/video]
Last edited by ritchiedrums on Fri May 18, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
lumin
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:05 am
Location: Miami
Contact:

Post by lumin »

smurphd wrote:
lumin wrote:been repeating to myself "must. not. start. a. modular."
this looks really cool
You've been repeating that since 2011?
I have been blessed with the gift of willpower. Which has been slowly decreasing the more I visit threads like these...
User avatar
rayce
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:02 pm
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Post by rayce »

Looks great. Really cool that it responds to the preset manager.

Can the pitch of the 4 oscillators be addressed by a 225e over the 4 channels of the 200e internal bus?
User avatar
traffkin
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 719
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:23 am
Location: Tbilisi
Contact:

Post by traffkin »

no, sorry, we prefer analog patching 8-)

but in some future, who knows...
rayce wrote:Can the pitch of the 4 oscillators be addressed by a 225e over the 4 channels of the 200e internal bus?
User avatar
ritchiedrums
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1514
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:58 pm
Location: Groton, New York
Contact:

Post by ritchiedrums »

I think the "Drawing" your own waves is cool,
but is there an easy way to call up SINE, SAW, etc?

:guinness:
User avatar
traffkin
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 719
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:23 am
Location: Tbilisi
Contact:

Post by traffkin »

isn’t there quite a lot such oscillators with such capabilities? :)
ritchiedrums wrote:I think the "Drawing" your own waves is cool,
but is there an easy way to call up SINE, SAW, etc?

:guinness:
User avatar
ritchiedrums
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1514
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:58 pm
Location: Groton, New York
Contact:

Post by ritchiedrums »

traffkin wrote:isn’t there quite a lot such oscillators with such capabilities? :)
:
[/quote]

ONLY ABOUT A MILLION! :yay:
User avatar
traffkin
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 719
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:23 am
Location: Tbilisi
Contact:

Post by traffkin »

:hihi:

well, speaking seriously, there'll be "reset to sine" feature in a while, pretty useful for various modulation stuff
ritchiedrums wrote:
traffkin wrote:isn’t there quite a lot such oscillators with such capabilities? :)
:
ONLY ABOUT A MILLION! :yay:[/quote]
User avatar
Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"
Posts: 2696
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:23 am
Location: Albany, New York
Contact:

Post by Yes Powder »

I remember reading some things like ten years ago about something called "scanned synthesis" but didn't see much on it after that.
Is that what this is based on? It seems similar, and really cool!
Everyone wants to be analog until it's time to do some analog shit.
User avatar
traffkin
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 719
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:23 am
Location: Tbilisi
Contact:

Post by traffkin »

i have not read anything on that but it is interesting, will try to find the info.
my idea derived solely from the cardiographic tape i watched once upon a time several years ago
Yes Powder wrote:I remember reading some things like ten years ago about something called "scanned synthesis" but didn't see much on it after that.
Is that what this is based on? It seems similar, and really cool!
User avatar
cygmu
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1840
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:33 pm
Location: UK

Post by cygmu »

Here's a paper on it:
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/61f4/4 ... c7b45a.pdf

Quite interesting and apparently similar. They use a physical model of a string to generate the wave shape and let the performer manipulate the string in various ways to change the timbre. This quote near the end is perhaps relevant:
Since the scanning process is independent of the computation of the string shape, it is possible to stop modifying the string shape (freeze the string) but continue scanning and hearing the now unvarying spectrum. The effect is dramatic. Within seconds after the string is frozen, the timbre becomes dull and uninteresting.
I seem to recall there was a Eurorack module a few months ago that claimed to use a variant on scanned synthesis, but certainly nothing so visual as the Keen module.
User avatar
traffkin
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 719
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:23 am
Location: Tbilisi
Contact:

Post by traffkin »

thanks, i'll have a look!
cygmu wrote:Here's a paper on it:
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/61f4/4 ... c7b45a.pdf

Quite interesting and apparently similar. They use a physical model of a string to generate the wave shape and let the performer manipulate the string in various ways to change the timbre. This quote near the end is perhaps relevant:
Since the scanning process is independent of the computation of the string shape, it is possible to stop modifying the string shape (freeze the string) but continue scanning and hearing the now unvarying spectrum. The effect is dramatic. Within seconds after the string is frozen, the timbre becomes dull and uninteresting.
I seem to recall there was a Eurorack module a few months ago that claimed to use a variant on scanned synthesis, but certainly nothing so visual as the Keen module.
User avatar
traffkin
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 719
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:23 am
Location: Tbilisi
Contact:

Post by traffkin »

similar but not the same definitely, i don't have a buffer and can't scan anything out of what is on the screen which is not literally scanned but just played back. when the "tape" stopped the spectrum and phase gets frozen otherwise there's permanents phase shifting. but the idea in the paper is very interesting and promising! thanks again
cygmu wrote:Here's a paper on it:
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/61f4/4 ... c7b45a.pdf

Quite interesting and apparently similar. They use a physical model of a string to generate the wave shape and let the performer manipulate the string in various ways to change the timbre. This quote near the end is perhaps relevant:
Since the scanning process is independent of the computation of the string shape, it is possible to stop modifying the string shape (freeze the string) but continue scanning and hearing the now unvarying spectrum. The effect is dramatic. Within seconds after the string is frozen, the timbre becomes dull and uninteresting.
I seem to recall there was a Eurorack module a few months ago that claimed to use a variant on scanned synthesis, but certainly nothing so visual as the Keen module.
User avatar
Kent
Curator/Janitor/Zookeeper
Posts: 13801
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:17 am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Post by Kent »

I’ve just installed mine tonight and got some rich sounds out of it. I still don’t fully understand the device and will dive into the menu this weekend.

Classy and well-thought-out product, Alex :party:
User avatar
traffkin
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 719
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:23 am
Location: Tbilisi
Contact:

Post by traffkin »

it is not too much in the menu yet but it will grow :)
Kent wrote:I’ve just installed mine tonight and got some rich sounds out of it. I still don’t fully understand the device and will dive into the menu this weekend.

Classy and well-thought-out product, Alex :party:
User avatar
Kent
Curator/Janitor/Zookeeper
Posts: 13801
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:17 am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Post by Kent »

Right you are. Menu is simple. Oscillator is complex and rich. Wow! Such an interesting & novel addition to the 200e. See/listen below.
Post Reply

Return to “Keen Association”