SSL Scat-Talker update

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:42 pm

Howdy - Just to resurrect this thread to say how much I love this thing. Instant didgeridoo! (among other wonderful phonetic surprises) - Had it for six months and it's a part of nearly everything I do in 5U.

I have two questions I haven't been able to figure out - Can anyone answer this?

1) What does the ACTIVE CV input do, exactly? What would a use case be, and what kind of CV to feed it? - Maybe this answer is in John's wonderful demo but I'm not seeing it. (Too distracted by the awesome sounds perhaps)

2) I know phoneme 64 is supposed to be the Daisy demo but I can't figure out how to make it play. I dial to 64 and it says STP but is silent. Same for 63, which is also silent but says PA1 - Do either of those play Daisy? Would love to know.

Danke, all - E

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:23 pm

EPTC wrote:1) What does the ACTIVE CV input do, exactly? What would a use case be, and what kind of CV to feed it? - Maybe this answer is in John's wonderful demo but I'm not seeing it. (Too distracted by the awesome sounds perhaps)
It's not a CV input, it's a gate output. See 7:30 of my video 8-)
[video][/video]
EPTC wrote:2) I know phoneme 64 is supposed to be the Daisy demo but I can't figure out how to make it play. I dial to 64 and it says STP but is silent. Same for 63, which is also silent but says PA1 - Do either of those play Daisy? Would love to know.
:hmm: Did you fire a gate into it or press the Hal 9000 button?

As a side note, the Scat-Talker is also great for sound design and creating all sorts of atmospheric effects. In a recent piece of mine I used the Scat-Talker throughout, pitched way down and slowly sequenced to create that sort of swirling background noise/texture. It's subtle most of the time. I mentioned I used a gong in the piece and people may assume that is what they are hearing throughout but the gong only happens at the very end.
[video][/video]

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:19 am

Beautiful piece John! :nana: :hail:

As for the Daisy demo - Early modules had it as the last Phoneme, but a couple of people complained that when doing things like random sample & hold phonemes, it was hard to prevent the demo from firing.

So in later firmware revisions, I moved it to the power-up sequence. To get to it, hold down the button while powering up the synth. This will take you to Calibration and Demo mode. You can then select the demo with the phoneme pot and press the button. Calibration stuff helps when I'm setting the 1V/Oct response at the factory.
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I guess all the Forest Mims Radio Shack books I read finally paid off!"
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"...this whole thing was started by a dream and a mouse." - Walt Disney
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:54 pm

dslocum wrote:Beautiful piece John! :nana: :hail:
Thanks Doug! :hug:

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:06 pm

Ah, JOHN: As usual, Muffwiggler should pay a retainer and a per diem for your amazing quick replies, man! A gate out! That makes sense, but I'll want to watch your video more closely to see how that's applicable. I'll check 7:30 of your vid, thanks for the :help: !!!

(watches) - ah,amazing! that's perfect for envelopes and VCAs! Still not perfectly understanding how it's not a through-output of the gate input. When does the gate fire out of the Active, exactly? And how is that different then when the Gate is inputted?

(thinking) So is this what you mean - that if you click GATE to trigger a voice, the phoneme changes, but every time the phoneme loops, it outputs an Active gate of the voice initiating? That's...cool! Is that what you're sayin? Either way knowing it's an OUTPUT now will be fun to just randomly patch into something see where it goes regardless of full understanding.
dslocum wrote:So in later firmware revisions, I moved it to the power-up sequence. To get to it, hold down the button while powering up the synth.
Ah-ha!!! I will try this! Daisy will be mine!

Thanks man, your module is amazing. Firmware revisions, eh! Curious about distinctions of other versions, I suppose. There's only 75 of these things, I think I read, right?

Beautiful work on this, thanks so much for bringing it to the planet.

(Thanks again for the answer and demo, John, you rock)

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:31 pm

I checked out "The Bureau". Wonderfully creative stuff and links. That made my day and I shared on FB.

The ACTIVE output reflects the actual Votrax SC-01 chip's phoneme length. Once the Scat-Talker's Gate is fired, the Scat brings the ACTIVE output high for as long as the SC-01 chip thinks it appropriate for that particular phoneme. Each phoneme length should be different.

For instance, you had mentioned earlier why STP & PA?. Each of the SC-01's phonemes has a "default" length that it will play the phoneme. This was apparently done with research into how long it takes to make each phoneme is the English language. Using that output from the chip, a host computer could more easily concatenate phonemes to build words, without having to create a separate "look-up table" outside the chip.
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:16 pm

Doug: Thank you for the explanation and I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed The Bureau! And thank you for the FB post! (My regard for your stuff is off the charts btw) - You'll hear Scat Talker in the second act of music (After the 1:00pm mark, or so - Story's at 11:30 presently)

That makes perfect sense about the Active port. Even makes the module more exciting, Yeahaww!

Have a great evening, thank you both. - Ethan

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Tue May 08, 2018 2:37 pm

The Scat-Talker has been sold out for a couple of months now, but here's the good news...

I found a few more SC-01 chips, so I'll be making a FINAL round of 7 of these. The price will have to increase from $349 to $399 because of the small quantities I have to order from my vendors.

Don't hold me to dates here, but the PCBs and all parts are already in-house and the panels should be here by the end of the week. So I'll guess availability by the end of June.

:bananaguitar:
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------

kcd06
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kcd06 » Tue May 08, 2018 3:40 pm

Now you have me wondering if I should get a second one....

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Wed May 09, 2018 3:40 pm

kcd06 wrote:Now you have me wondering if I should get a second one....
Yeah, totally - you should do that. A second one might be totally interesting and weird, especially in duophonic mode, a two-voice Scat!
dslocum wrote:I found a few more SC-01 chips, so I'll be making a FINAL round of 7 of these.
Wow - outstanding fortunate news for anyone without one of these, Doug.

Since you're here, one tech question: I've found that putting noise into the 1v/oct slot totally transforms the voice of the module into wonderfully sounding chalky talking. (just a texture is applied to the output that's really pleasing) - Just wanted to be sure that wouldn't affect the chip or any connections in any way that's negative. Don't believe so, but I know nothing about the way these chips work with CV and I'd like to keep it healthy and working for years.

Specifically this is the noise output of an RF Nomad into the 1v/oct input of the Scat Talker.

Happy to hear of seven more units! Interested in the proposed reissue of the JJP SampleCorder, too.

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Thu May 10, 2018 6:47 am

That's a great idea Ethan! I seriously doubt it will do any harm to the module. Patch away and keep coming up with (and sharing) those ideas!
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------

Qwave
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Qwave » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:13 am

I received a used Scat Talker with firmware 1.3 yesterday.

I just had about an hour of fun with it. Very well built and handy to use even without a manual (is there one available?).

I will, once the summer is gone, use my good old EEH DS 500 digital sequencer with CV out to construct some words.
--
keep on turning these knobs

Till Kopper

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:16 pm

I have a weekly comics/audio series going on Boing Boing right now where part of the post features a review of equipment I really love.

This week features Doug's Scat Talker with numerous sound file examples of its use in The Bureau (and an embed of John's excellent demo)
https://boingboing.net/2018/12/05/the-b ... -hist.html

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:45 am

EPTC wrote:I have a weekly comics/audio series going on Boing Boing right now where part of the post features a review of equipment I really love.

This week features Doug's Scat Talker with numerous sound file examples of its use in The Bureau (and an embed of John's excellent demo)
https://boingboing.net/2018/12/05/the-b ... -hist.html
Fun article, thanks for including my demo! :hihi: :tu:

Qwave
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Qwave » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:07 am

Question:
Is there a way to adjust the phoneme CV in, so that a 1/12th V is changing it the phoneme by 1 number?
On my unit, it takes about 4.5 V from phoneme #1 to #64.
If it would be scalled one phoneme per key, it would be 63 steps of 1/12 V = 5.25V = 5 ocatves plus 3 half notes.
--

Till Kopper

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:28 am

Sorry, there's no scaling adjustment for that but you can use a passive attenuator.
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------

Qwave
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Qwave » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:40 am

Thanks Doug.
I may add a little trimmer to avoid patching and adjusting a passive attenuator every time I use a scalled CV.
I got a friend with a licence to solder :-)

This module is a great addition to my system.
--

Till Kopper

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:02 am

Here's a schematic of that section (lower left). Hope it helps.

Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------

Qwave
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Qwave » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:09 am

Thank you!
This will help my tech friend for sure.
--

Till Kopper

Return to “5U Format Modules”