intellijel Rainmaker

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

jjclark
Professor Wiggler

Post by jjclark » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:53 pm

Ras Thavas wrote:Question for jjclark, with this new change-

ADDED: Automatic Gain Control (AGC) circuits have been added to the rhythm
delay feedback, comb feedback, and overall output pathways. This prevents
runaway feedback and the resulting distortion.

Does this mean I can't get the comb delay feedback to self-oscillate anymore? While the volume jump is alarming, the sonic effect of the comb self-oscillating, particularly with the sitar feedback setting, has been something I use a lot.

I ask as I'm on a Mac and the transition to the new update will be more problematic, I want to be sure I really want to update before I make the effort.

Thanks, the Rainmaker is a greatly favored module in my case.
Still self-oscillates, but in a milder fashion. The delay can also self-oscillate, but takes time to build up.

intellijel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by intellijel » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:17 pm

thelizard wrote:The OS X Intellijel Firmware Updater is out-of-date. Despite being labeled as an October build on the .zip, the executable has a build date from August. The included Display Firmware is 1.04 instead of 1.07.
Try this: Intellijel Firmware Updater

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:30 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply. A silly request, but if anyone has updated and has the time, would you be willing to record a minute of the comb filter self-oscillating, and wiggle the delay time a little from shortest to longer? I want to see if it still has that wonderful snarling chaotic behavior. I love the way it blooms and saturates.

jjclark wrote:
Ras Thavas wrote:Question for jjclark, with this new change-

ADDED: Automatic Gain Control (AGC) circuits have been added to the rhythm
delay feedback, comb feedback, and overall output pathways. This prevents
runaway feedback and the resulting distortion.

Does this mean I can't get the comb delay feedback to self-oscillate anymore? While the volume jump is alarming, the sonic effect of the comb self-oscillating, particularly with the sitar feedback setting, has been something I use a lot.

I ask as I'm on a Mac and the transition to the new update will be more problematic, I want to be sure I really want to update before I make the effort.

Thanks, the Rainmaker is a greatly favored module in my case.
Still self-oscillates, but in a milder fashion. The delay can also self-oscillate, but takes time to build up.

thelizard
in it for the money

Post by thelizard » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:41 pm

intellijel wrote:
thelizard wrote:The OS X Intellijel Firmware Updater is out-of-date. Despite being labeled as an October build on the .zip, the executable has a build date from August. The included Display Firmware is 1.04 instead of 1.07.
Try this: Intellijel Firmware Updater
There has to be some weird caching issue somewhere. I'm seeing a "Modified" date of Aug. 31 and a build date of Aug. 22. The Display firmware is still showing as 1.04 on the changelog.

jjclark
Professor Wiggler

Post by jjclark » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:42 pm

Ras Thavas wrote:Thanks for taking the time to reply. A silly request, but if anyone has updated and has the time, would you be willing to record a minute of the comb filter self-oscillating, and wiggle the delay time a little from shortest to longer? I want to see if it still has that wonderful snarling chaotic behavior. I love the way it blooms and saturates.
Here you go - recorded with the comb feedback full cw and no input. Playing around with the comb size, tap number, pattern, and feedback type. Starts out in Sitar mode.

#edit can't seem to embed soundcloud anymore. Go to my soundcloud page:
https://soundcloud.com/cylonix/rainmake ... k-no-input

ether
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ether » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:35 pm

Just updated mine last night ... magic! :deadbanana:

Good job team 'jel :)

batch
Collector of fine modules

Post by batch » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:26 pm

Successfully updated on OSX. A little time consuming but the video made it very easy.

Am really liking the update!
Monday Night Modular - a weekly virtual meetup @ 8pm PT
Days since last purchase = 2

Carrousel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:59 pm

Using the Rainmaker to synthesise something like the fiddle section of a Ceilidh band on a krautrock mission (comes in around 50 seconds and then sticks around):

http://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk/scape

Source material is the shapeshifter using Oboe wavetables with a sprinkling of FM. Other sounds created by Plonk, Dixicon pair and some other non-modular bits.
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

batch
Collector of fine modules

Post by batch » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:29 pm

^^^ Nice work
Monday Night Modular - a weekly virtual meetup @ 8pm PT
Days since last purchase = 2

wanne
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wanne » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:18 am

wanne wrote:
solitud wrote:
wanne wrote:
i have the same problem but i cant update the screen because i get the flowing error message...

Cant find a DFU capable USB device
I had that issue too, this fixed it for me:
Be sure to connect the USB cable from Rainmaker to the computer BEFORE you boot your modular with the tiny button pressed.
did that...no luck....
i also tried 3 different cables but all where extended by another usb cable...
maybe thats the poblem `?
at the moment i try to get an laptop to work so i can be closer to my case and dont need the extension...
had to update the screen on a friends mac... no luck with my win pc.....

VanEck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by VanEck » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:36 pm

Ras Thavas wrote:Thanks for taking the time to reply. A silly request, but if anyone has updated and has the time, would you be willing to record a minute of the comb filter self-oscillating, and wiggle the delay time a little from shortest to longer? I want to see if it still has that wonderful snarling chaotic behavior. I love the way it blooms and saturates.
Same. I am holding off on the update until I hear some comparisons between the firmware. I utilize the feedback and harsher side of the rainmaker and would not want to lose it.
DISHEVELED -- PROMETHEUS BURNING

SysEx Dumpster Podcast - modular, gear, and other garbage

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Hey Greg,

Prof. Clark was kind enough to post a few minutes of audio, it's shortly after the quoted post.

Bottom line, it will still oscillate, but much more mildly. In terms of controlling patches with short delay times and high feedback on the comb filter I'm sure this will be a huge improvement, for our interests not as much...

Like you, I'm going to hold off on upgrading as I use the comb filter w/ sitar node feedback and the sound just isn't there any more.

Check out the audio, Prof. Clark starts off with the sitar feedback mode and you can hear while it's fine for general oscillating feedback fun, that wild saturating sound is gone.
VanEck wrote:
Same. I am holding off on the update until I hear some comparisons between the firmware. I utilize the feedback and harsher side of the rainmaker and would not want to lose it.

NMNMNMNMNMN
Learning to Wiggle

Post by NMNMNMNMNMN » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:51 pm

In my opinion it's an almost completely different machine. I changed all my presets after the update. Very much to my liking though, and I also enjoy the sqeueueeuqkie glitchy sound. Although not all the time.

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CF3 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:09 pm

NMNMNMNMNMN wrote:In my opinion it's an almost completely different machine. I changed all my presets after the update. Very much to my liking though, and I also enjoy the sqeueueeuqkie glitchy sound. Although not all the time.
Most definitely. Sounds really different. Especially the Comb. I like it though. The feedback is way more usable for me now. Still going thru all my presets boosting input gains.

jjclark
Professor Wiggler

Post by jjclark » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:01 pm

Ras Thavas wrote:Hey Greg,

Prof. Clark was kind enough to post a few minutes of audio, it's shortly after the quoted post.

Bottom line, it will still oscillate, but much more mildly. In terms of controlling patches with short delay times and high feedback on the comb filter I'm sure this will be a huge improvement, for our interests not as much...

Like you, I'm going to hold off on upgrading as I use the comb filter w/ sitar node feedback and the sound just isn't there any more.

Check out the audio, Prof. Clark starts off with the sitar feedback mode and you can hear while it's fine for general oscillating feedback fun, that wild saturating sound is gone.
VanEck wrote:
You could probably get back a lot of the wild sound by passing the output through a distortion module. The sound of the old version was mainly due to very strong clipping, although the feedback and comb did affect it. Maybe if you passed the output through a distortion box and mixed it back with the input you could get something like you wanted.

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by loydb » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:07 am

Another successful upgrade on Windows, though it took me three tries to find a cable that worked for the display.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:48 pm

Love the update. I was fortunate enough to experience the beta versions and get excellent response from the entire Intellijel team about ideas.

Raven_Martin i know what you refer to, the many changes to the sound definitely affect the rhythm somehow maybe the limiters effect on transients, maybe also the new feedback knobs range. I have not personally experienced any real sync issues though. All of the modulation additions and the possibilities offered by the new limiters, and improvements to the sound to me justify learning it as a new device. My old presets all seemed harder to control, I finally decided to just whipe them and start anew... trust me you can still find the wonderful rhythmic action we love in the Rainmaker and so much more

Also to point out an amazing addition to the new firmware is the ability to load either an entire preset, or just load the active effect(delay or comb) saved to the preset. Having this choice gives a really open ability to mix and match your settings or load an exact sound you carefully dialed in

Spiked Lunch
Massive Synth Wanker

Post by Spiked Lunch » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:21 am

Updated last night.

I had issues with my Windows user name having a space (Mike Lynch) which gave the firmware installer for the display issues in locating a file. I had to create a new windows account with a single name.

Had a brief play last but didn’t delve in too deep - just pushing presets into self oscillation. Fantastic update! For me, it’s a massive improvement!

Thank you Intellijel :-)

fwheel
Common Wiggler

Post by fwheel » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:53 am

I was 98% sure I would encounter some annoying last minute problem when going through the update process with my Mac – well I was wrong, I'm happy to say that the update was a breeze! Based on a late night 5 minute tweaking I love my Rainmaker even more now. :clap: :clap:

exportexport
Common Wiggler

Post by exportexport » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:28 am

Someone in the east german area up for some help to update my Rainmaker by any chance? I'm like an old lady when it comes to computers :hihi:

ndf
Common Wiggler

Post by ndf » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:12 pm

In case you have a linux computer and want to update your intellijel FPGA and or display, the process is quite simple, and a heap easier than on other platforms.

For the display oled firmweare use dfu-util. Push the button and connect the LED, make sure you have permission to write to the usb device (eg edit udev rules, see below) then write the firmware with:

dfu-util -v -a 0 --dfuse-address 0x08000000 -D rainmaker_1.07.bin

substituting the firmware filename. You may need to check the alt (-a) setting for dfu-util, man dfu-util for more info.

For the FPGA, the intel stand alone qprogrammer kit is availble for linux, download it from the Altera download page. This has both command line and windows based programmers. Just run the windowed one on the .jic and then it should update much like in the video.

quartus_pgmw Rainmaker\ v1.09.jic

Again, your usb device might need permission, see below...

On linux, regular users don't get permission to use the USB devices by default, but you can instruct the system to give you access by editing the udev rules.

Create a file in the directory /etc/udev/rules.d/ called something like 51-intellifirm

In that file place the following:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="09fb", ATTR{idProduct}=="6001", MODE="0666"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0483", ATTR{idProduct}=="df11", MODE="0666"

that tells the USB subsystem to make the two usb devices in the rainmaker with mode 666 - read/write for everyone.

Dear intellijel thanks for the upades but could you please host your firmware files together under a common path on your own fileserver as plain files? Bundling them in zips and distributing via "cloud" only causes confusion and grief. If I get a file eg: rainmaker_display_1.07.bin straight off your server, then it takes a lot less effort to work out if it is the current one I'm looking for.

Thanks again for the updates

NMNMNMNMNMN
Learning to Wiggle

Post by NMNMNMNMNMN » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:52 am

ndf wrote:In case you have a linux computer and want to update your intellijel FPGA and or display, the process is quite simple, and a heap easier than on other platforms.
This is awesome, thanks. :tu:

Innerself2007
Common Wiggler

Post by Innerself2007 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:38 am

Updated the rainmaker yesterday (Mac OX) and Im really liking how everything works now. Feedback has been the worst issue for me and now its perfect.

Update process was a bit crazy but I took it slow and watched the video while doing it and it was fine. Did the Shapeshifter immediatley after and that was a breeze since I already had everything else downloaded.

Did the update after Intellejel posted about version 1.09 but mine is still at 1.07 for some reason, maybe the newer update was yet to be posted on the website and I just missed what version I installed?
Also my screen display is now slightly slanted, not a huge issue but kind of annoying since it was perfectly straight before the update.

Anyway very happy and I will try to update the display again with the 1.09 again to see if it fixes the screen.

Ohh and BTW the update took me about an Hr and and half, although I was going very slow to make sure I was doing it right.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:11 am

My screen got slanted from the unracking also, if anyone is wondering about a super DIY solution without having to bust off the faceplate and re-glue it....

I cut a super thin strip of professional grade velcro, and layed it on the top of the screen/backing right next to the micro usb port.... as to basically hold them in the same place. Its been working for a few days so far. Just be careful, that professional grade velcro is no joke

Worwell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Worwell » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:48 am

These reports suggest to me that the update is not worth it. Can anyone with the new firmware speak to the advantages that outweigh the hassle of an hour and half update with OCD-triggering damage to the module?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”