Jasper - Another Wasp Clone

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

dogmeat
Common Wiggler

Post by dogmeat » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:23 am

tried finding but no luck, what is the price for a Jasper kit????

efexor
Common Wiggler

Post by efexor » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:16 am

dogmeat wrote:tried finding but no luck, what is the price for a Jasper kit????
Bottom of page 9.

RadekTymecki
Common Wiggler

Post by RadekTymecki » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:19 am

i'm up to 2-3 kits (pcb+panel+4006+knobs)

sixty_n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sixty_n » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:28 am

efexor wrote:
Bottom of page 9.
bear in mind that it will be a bit more expensive for the second run as Jason is going to use a better pcb fabricator after the mess about with the keyboard part of the main pcb on run 1

andydextrous
1-Post Wiggler

Post by andydextrous » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:26 pm

Hello Jason, please put my name down for a kit of parts on the next run. Thanks, Andy

Malmi315
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Malmi315 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:24 pm

Count me in for the next batch please.

Estudiosgong@gmail.com
Marcelo

efexor
Common Wiggler

Post by efexor » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:16 am

sixty_n wrote:
efexor wrote:
Bottom of page 9.
bear in mind that it will be a bit more expensive for the second run as Jason is going to use a better pcb fabricator after the mess about with the keyboard part of the main pcb on run 1
I noticed there was a problem with the pcb.
Even if it's a little more expensive, it's still a steal :sb:

jackcouli
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jackcouli » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:21 am

Hello Jason,
Can you put me on the list for the next run ?
Jack

LektroiD
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LektroiD » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:46 am

Where can I buy a blank piece of black PCB to match the footprint of the synth? I want to make a base for it so the solder side is not showing.

At the moment it is not useable in my studio, as my keyboard stand is aluminium (conductive)

Kipling
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kipling » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:02 am

LektroiD wrote:Where can I buy a blank piece of black PCB to match the footprint of the synth? I want to make a base for it so the solder side is not showing.

At the moment it is not useable in my studio, as my keyboard stand is aluminium (conductive)
You probably cannot, as the black solder mask is applied after the PCB is etched so you won't find any that's already black. Just use a sheet of aluminium, paint it black and use suitable stand-offs to mount it beneath the main PCB.

duff
Veteran Wiggler

Post by duff » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:30 am

LektroiD wrote:Where can I buy a blank piece of black PCB to match the footprint of the synth? I want to make a base for it so the solder side is not showing.

I found that an A3 sheet of 3mm MDF from eBay woks quite well.

Macc29
Common Wiggler

Post by Macc29 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:25 am

A MIDI problem I can´t understand...might intrest others. I use Elby Designs' Midi-Wasp-adapter. It works great on a cheap midikeyboard, which sends note on/off and midi note number, and nothing else, no velocity etc. But when I connect my Jasper to a Roland JV-80, JD-800 or Prophet-08, all I get is ONE note, then it goes silent. I tried to remove everything from Midi signal, but no help!

What on earth is this? It hampers my Jasper unusable in a Midi studio :(

chelikan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chelikan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:53 am

Please put me down for a pcb/pots/knobs/4006/panel

thanks

portervance
Wiggling with Experience

Post by portervance » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:57 pm

Hi! I'm interested in a Jasper kit (panel,pcb,pots and CD4006). Thanks!

jasonl
Common Wiggler

Jasper Round 2 is GO!

Post by jasonl » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:14 am

Edit 18 July 2016

That was quick! Didn't expect this level of interest so quickly... :goo:

I'm still waiting on responses from people on the waiting list for the second run, so if included, then all the PCBs are now accounted for.

So I've started a list for a third PCB run. If I get any cancellations then I'll move people up. If you want to go on the list, it's best to PM me so I can keep track.

Cheers! :guinness:

Finally! Jasper 2nd PCB run is GO! :nana:

It’s been far too long, but the second Jasper PCB run is ready to ship. The new batch of boards look great – and the overall quality appears consistently better than the first. The silkscreen is a deeper yellow than the first lot, and the soldermask seems glossier.

With the panel:

Old (top) and new compared:

There are some additions and changes on the PCB in light of some of the feedback from the first run:

* The enhanced oscillator waveform mods are now on the PCB – so no trying to find space for the daughter-boards. The middle of the PCB is more cramped to make space, but the result is worth it.
* There’s an optional external trigger input. This allows triggering/gating the envelopes with a positive voltage. It works well, for example, with the LFO and gate from the modular, and sync output of my Volca beats. Using a switched jack socket means it’s only engaged when something is plugged in.
* A better hold switch option – one that simulates holding down a key, allowing the repeat function of the VCA envelope to work. The one on the original run suppressed the decay cycle, preventing the repeat. The original hold is still available, allowing use of a miniature DPDT on-off-on switch for both behaviours.
* A couple of minor component changes have also been made to the BOM.

I am not offering full kits, but along with the CD4006 and switched pots as supplied before, I can supply a optional few extras that may be useful:

* Trimmers: 2x Song Huei 9mm tall trimmers from Thonk, and the four 6mm trimmers.
* Sockets: 3x Cliff FCR1295 3.5mm stereo jack sockets; 2x 8pin mini DIN sockets for the Link port; 1x 2.1mm DC power jack.

You will need to source the rest of the components, pots and rotary switches.

Pricing

The PCB costs were higher this run, but I hope the increased quality is worth the extra. And our politicians have done a good job of ensuring this is mitigated for those outside the UK.

* PCB: £26
* Panel: £18
* 3x Omeg Switched pots: £8
* 1 x CD4006 (or equivalent): £1
* Trimmers kit: £3
* Sockets kit: £4

So one of everything: £60
PCB, Panel, Omeg Pots, CD4006: £53

Postage/shipping is extra, and is determined by weight – up to 2Kg will go by Royal Mail.

A single set of PCB+panel, boxed and packaged weighs in at about 900g, so for example:
UK: 1st class Signed-for is £4.45
EU, Tracked and Signed Airmail is £12.50
USA Tracked and Signed is £17.20
Australia/Rest of World is £18.15.

Standard airmail is cheaper, but has no tracking available. So once it’s sent, there’s nothing to do if it goes missing en-route. Let me know if you want this, but it’ll be at your own risk. Packages heavier than 2kg (i.e. >2 sets) will need to go by courier, so I’ll use Parcel2Go on a case-by-case basis to get a reasonable price.

Ordering:
Send me a PM with your Paypal email address and your delivery details and what you want. I’ll sort out a Paypal invoice.

Over the next couple of days I’ll PM people on the interest/waiting list I made, if they already haven’t sent me their details.

If you expressed an interest earlier, but no longer wish to get the PCBs, let me know and I’ll free up the PCB for someone else. It's a larger run than before, but it's still limited.

Next step is to update the build guide, BOM, etc...

And here's one I made earlier:
3d printed sides and standoffs, with lasercut acrylic base and back section for speaker, Elby MiniMIDI Wasp and eventually a CV/Gate interface. The design needs a bit of refining, but it seems to work OK.
Last edited by jasonl on Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

dartanjal
Learning to Wiggle

Jasper order

Post by dartanjal » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:00 pm

synthetek
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synthetek » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:38 pm

Has the panel changed at all or just the main PCB?

Starspawn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Starspawn » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:32 pm

Woop! Now we need another run of knobs so I can get the set I missed first time ;)

synthetek
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synthetek » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:11 pm

Starspawn wrote:Woop! Now we need another run of knobs so I can get the set I missed first time ;)
+1

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:24 pm

Is anyone doing (or interested in doing) a full build for those of us who are less DIY-inclined?

AonFLuX
Common Wiggler

Post by AonFLuX » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:45 pm

YEEESS!! Oh, finally my Cliff-knobs wont be so lonely ;)
Really hope I'm still on that waiting list I signed up for many pages ago :)

Great work Jason!

jasonl
Common Wiggler

Post by jasonl » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:27 pm

synthetek wrote:Has the panel changed at all or just the main PCB?
The panel's the same design. I did move the Jasper logo up 5mm, and put some extra text on the rear, to show the locations of the headers for the osc volume pots, ext input pot, speaker and hold switch. This aids getting the wire lengths correct.

The other minor difference is that it is exactly 2mm thick (what I ordered) - the ones from the first run are 2.2mm.

Bamboombaps
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bamboombaps » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:44 pm

PM sent. need knobs too please and a case/ files for 3d printing if anyone is working on that
Synthy stuff for sale https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/Phew

duff
Veteran Wiggler

Post by duff » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:05 am

The Knobs Group Buy will happen if we get enough interest. See the first post in the thread for more info.

New PCB and panel look great Jason, and a big :tu: for the tweaks and additions.

jasonl
Common Wiggler

Post by jasonl » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:08 am

Bamboombaps wrote:PM sent. need knobs too please and a case/ files for 3d printing if anyone is working on that
When I'm happy with the designs my plan is to post the STLs and DXFs for 3d printing and laser cutting respectively.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”